ADVERTISEMENT

Kelsey Barlow's book

May be old news to some but he published a "tell all" e-book. It's only around 66 pages, no purchase necessary: https://online.flippingbook.com/view/171732/2/#zoom=z

Admits to some pretty over-the-top stuff. Fairly amazing that he lasted even two years due to the amount of partying, etc.

Anyone else read it?

IMG_2536_300x300.jpg

I've read the book. It shares emotion, pretty great story line, and definitely comedic. I saw on Twitter there was a thread about the book and Kelsey was answering questions. I had to join in the conversation. Kelsey, can you speak about this paragraph in chapter 5?

I'll think of this for sure every time I hear the chant in Mackey!!!

IMG_2536_300x300.jpg

I've read the book. It shares emotion, pretty great story line, and definitely comedic. I saw on Twitter there was a thread about the book and Kelsey was answering questions. I had to join in the conversation. Kelsey, can you speak about this paragraph in chapter 5?

I'll think of this for sure every time I hear the chant in Mackey!!!

LMAO. That's hilarious, I'm glad you enjoyed story line.

I don't know if I can speak on that paragraph directly. I will say I thought to include the reference for a specific reason.
As a player hearing a crowd saying IU sucks is wild. Everyone claps afterwards and cheers it on.
As a player if you say to a reporter IU sucks you get ridiculed. You get a called a player that lacks class.
So I just tried to poke fun at that reality.

Love the posts and insight, StambiW, thank you for your candor.

With Stambi and Treed participating on this board, the answer to Jim Harbaugh's oft-repeated question to his team "Who's got it better than we do?" is the GBI Men's Basketball Free Forum.

LMAO. That's hilarious, I'm glad you enjoyed story line.

I don't know if I can speak on that paragraph directly. I will say I thought to include the reference for a specific reason.
As a player hearing a crowd saying IU sucks is wild. Everyone claps afterwards and cheers it on.
As a player if you say to a reporter IU sucks you get ridiculed. You get a called a player that lacks class.
So I just tried to poke fun at that reality.
Since the fans were asked to stop the chant, maybe a silent "choke" gesture would be appropriate. To your point, if a player did it, he would have to apologize. But if the entire student section did it...

Since the fans were asked to stop the chant, maybe a silent "choke" gesture would be appropriate. To your point, if a player did it, he would have to apologize. But if the entire student section did it...

If I’m honest I thought about this comment for awhile. It made me really think of all the other comments in reference to the book.
“Tell all”
“Changed names not to get sued”
“What % is truth”

I find all these sort of comments to be very hilarious. It's a fictional book series. Obviously I want the book to feel real. I play on certain things, I bring the realities that really go into the game of basketball (the shit the avg. person doesn't know), and I bring in real things we all experience outside of the court into the story. It's going to feel real. I just thought it would be cool to start him off at Purdue in a similar situation that I experienced. Seemed pretty unique in comparison to most sports stories.

My ego isn't set up to where I think I'm at autobiography status. Like wtf lol.
Since childhood us players sit around on buses, flights, hotels and we tell each other similar stories. A lot of the same story in 15 different ways. Sometimes I put myself in their shoes, sometimes they tell me what they would've done if they were me and sometimes I think of what a player would do in a fictitious setting. That's what helped me create the story. I been around all kinds of players from rec league, to hall of famers, soon to be hall of famers, middle of the road, and everything else.

My dad was a 1st rd. draft pick played 16 years. I've been around the game my whole life. In the last two years alone I've been to 50 countries & 100+ cities either playing basketball ,watching basketball, or vacationing with players. From EYBL to the NBA. To sitting in the top row at third division Greek Basketball game to sitting courtside at NBA games. I do things I find to be fun, cool, or pleasurable. Writing is fun as hell to me. It's like playing a video game. Like creating a player, adding his attributes, and everything else in his life.

I'm saying this because now that I'm getting more private messages from people who read the book in its entirety and are expressing how they related to certain things. I noticed the difference in tone from those messages and this thread. This thread is more about me, what I've done and thinking I'm really trying to tell that story. Which isn't the purpose of the book. I enjoy this thread, it's pretty funny and pretty cool to learn from all of your opinions. It actually helped me write book 4 of the 7. Book 4 has a lot of the "fan type of thinking" element. But I can just tell some of you are pretty confused as to what this book actually is. I think it's kind of cool if some people think I did all that stuff like that, or think I think the way the character thinks. He's a better player, a little more sharp, definitely has more love for others. I'm just a dickhead. I could've marketed this book in all kinds of ways. I added the tweets in the flip book just to troll people who were talking shit back in the day. I wasn't really thinking people would think it's an autobiography. Nor did I think it would make its way to a message board like this. I just saw EL James marketed her book on facebook and I figured that would be a more fun way to do it rather than the publisher route. But hey it is what it is. Maybe this clarified things for some. Maybe it didn't. But hey it was fun to write this little message too.

If I’m honest I thought about this comment for awhile. It made me really think of all the other comments in reference to the book.
“Tell all”
“Changed names not to get sued”
“What % is truth”

I find all these sort of comments to be very hilarious. It's a fictional book series. Obviously I want the book to feel real. I play on certain things, I bring the realities that really go into the game of basketball (the shit the avg. person doesn't know), and I bring in real things we all experience outside of the court into the story. It's going to feel real. I just thought it would be cool to start him off at Purdue in a similar situation that I experienced. Seemed pretty unique in comparison to most sports stories.

My ego isn't set up to where I think I'm at autobiography status. Like wtf lol.
Since childhood us players sit around on buses, flights, hotels and we tell each other similar stories. A lot of the same story in 15 different ways. Sometimes I put myself in their shoes, sometimes they tell me what they would've done if they were me and sometimes I think of what a player would do in a fictitious setting. That's what helped me create the story. I been around all kinds of players from rec league, to hall of famers, soon to be hall of famers, middle of the road, and everything else.

My dad was a 1st rd. draft pick played 16 years. I've been around the game my whole life. In the last two years alone I've been to 50 countries & 100+ cities either playing basketball ,watching basketball, or vacationing with players. From EYBL to the NBA. To sitting in the top row at third division Greek Basketball game to sitting courtside at NBA games. I do things I find to be fun, cool, or pleasurable. Writing is fun as hell to me. It's like playing a video game. Like creating a player, adding his attributes, and everything else in his life.

I'm saying this because now that I'm getting more private messages from people who read the book in its entirety and are expressing how they related to certain things. I noticed the difference in tone from those messages and this thread. This thread is more about me, what I've done and thinking I'm really trying to tell that story. Which isn't the purpose of the book. I enjoy this thread, it's pretty funny and pretty cool to learn from all of your opinions. It actually helped me write book 4 of the 7. Book 4 has a lot of the "fan type of thinking" element. But I can just tell some of you are pretty confused as to what this book actually is. I think it's kind of cool if some people think I did all that stuff like that, or think I think the way the character thinks. He's a better player, a little more sharp, definitely has more love for others. I'm just a dickhead. I could've marketed this book in all kinds of ways. I added the tweets in the flip book just to troll people who were talking shit back in the day. I wasn't really thinking people would think it's an autobiography. Nor did I think it would make its way to a message board like this. I just saw EL James marketed her book on facebook and I figured that would be a more fun way to do it rather than the publisher route. But hey it is what it is. Maybe this clarified things for some. Maybe it didn't. But hey it was fun to write this little message too.

Hey @StambiW ,

Since I started this thread, I'll take this time to apologize if I misunderstood the purpose of the book. I shouldn't have assumed you were talking about Coach Painter (i.e. "changing the names) or that it is a "tell all" expose'. Anyway, sorry again for stating such and/or misconstruing your book in any way! I enjoyed reading it...and having you post in this thread.

Aren't you the same person? Signup date seems about right... Also, Barlow didn't think this would be interpreted as biographical?

It sounds like someone started to complain after hearing some of their own life experiences being used in the story. Am I wrong?

Same person? I joined this forum in 2011. I was the OP of this thread and after a few posts, the author of the book joined the thread. So yes, you're wrong about being the same person. My writing style is nothing like his so not sure where you're getting your detective work from there Sherlock; weird.

As for the book being interpreted as biographical, that was what I had assumed it was too but upon reading his last post, it seems that is incorrect.

Too soon? Sorry, I'm a terrible person.

lol. I think you're deriving that addition by subtraction from Ryne Smith? When I got kicked off the team he was coming off the bench. So it's kinda just one of those things where the media controls the power of the statement.

Reactions: topurdue4
lol. I think you're deriving that addition by subtraction from Ryne Smith? When I got kicked off the team he was coming off the bench. So it's kinda just one of those things where the media controls the power of the statement.

Smith definitely didn't roll with the SOGs

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT