ADVERTISEMENT

Kelsey Barlow's book

from all of this, Purdue and Painter just didn't seem to be the right environment for someone like Kelsey Barlow. He could have thrived under different type of coaching and schools. I think Coach Painter has greatly improved his man management of different personality styles. But even today, a player like Barlow would still be a challenging fit at Purdue basketball.

Purdue fans need to learn to not love a certain type of player so much. You need more Carsen Edwards. Players that get baskets. Players that put on a show. There’s more money in basketball now. NBA players are getting 200 million thru 5 years. Kids and high school players see what type of players are getting those checks. The Tony Allen’s, the defender hard nose dude is a dying breed. It’s no longer a hard nose blue collar game.

Purdue praises the “custodian” type player a lot. Which is cool. I find it to be very admirable. The custodian will always meet his match at some point in the season. A dude earlier just mentioned Chris Kramer and Robbie Hummel in the same sentence. By far the most disrespectful thing I’ve ever read in my life. No offense to Chris Kramer. Rob Hummel is a different kind of player, all the way.

I may have just have to write a non fiction book on Robbie Hummel. Titled Stambecco.
Stambecco in Italian means wild mountain GOAT.
I’m giving Hummel my nickname, he’s the goat. Best thing to happen to Purdue basketball. He got straight baskets.

Purdue fans need to learn to not love a certain type of player so much. You need more Carsen Edwards. Players that get baskets. Players that put on a show. There’s more money in basketball now. NBA players are getting 200 million thru 5 years. Kids and high school players see what type of players are getting those checks. The Tony Allen’s, the defender hard nose dude is a dying breed. It’s no longer a hard nose blue collar game.

Purdue praises the “custodian” type player a lot. Which is cool. I find it to be very admirable. The custodian will always meet his match at some point in the season. A dude earlier just mentioned Chris Kramer and Robbie Hummel in the same sentence. By far the most disrespectful thing I’ve ever read in my life. No offense to Chris Kramer. Rob Hummel is a different kind of player, all the way.

I may have just have to write a non fiction book on Robbie Hummel. Titled Stambecco.
I’m giving Hummel my nickname, he’s the goat. Best thing to happen to Purdue basketball. He got straight baskets.
Kramer is loved by Purdue fans and I don’t need to speak for myself here, it’s a fact. He is a Purdue legend and revered on the same level as Hummel. Hummel was a great defender as well.
You may ask why Kramer is revered at the same level as Hummel when he wasn’t the offensive player Hummel was, but it isn’t about scoring or even defending. We love these players because they sacrificed for the team and gave everything they had every time they stepped on the floor. They embodied what a Purdue player is in every aspect of the game and off the court. That’s why they are loved and held up as examples of what it means to play at Purdue. The same goes for Cardinal, Chad and Brad, JJ and Smooge and now Carsen who will live on in the discussions of Purdue fans as a player who represented the university with honor and gave everything he had to the teams he played with.

I highly doubt anyone will ever not love Kramer for what he was and how he embraced his role on the teams he played for. He took pride in doing the dirty work. That is a rare quality in a day and age of flash and monster dunks. When players take on that role and embrace it, they become revered by the fans. Look no further than Grady to see that this is true. It isn’t flash or points that make a Purdue player a fan favorite, it’s dedication and sacrifice for the team that matters most.

Last edited:
Reactions: bredeweg44
At Purdue, you are trained to be a hardworking, highly efficient and highly productive person who does as told.

I think this is true of the american school system in general. From age 10 my dream was to work for someone else as an engineer. Then i got a job as a consultant, and realized i would never want to work for a client. Then about 5 years in, i realized the normal organization culture didn't fit me. I had read this forum for two years before i finally posted a couple days ago because of Kelseys posts. Kelsey is right that we have to appreciate individual creativity more as a fan base. I too sometimes would be like “hey don’t shoot tha.... oh” with carsen. it is no different in business. When you have stars who work for you, you have to allow them to have the freedom to explore what does and doesn't work for them and it takes a lot of patience to not stifle their brilliance. However When they make their mistakes, that is when the learning happens and if a star has a great attitude when that happens, they fit into any system. If they don't, then the coach or manager has to determine when enough is enough for the overall team and a star gets to learn the lesson of humility which is an important one. If you have a star with the base purdue mentality coupled with their own individuality, then you have Glenn, Carsen, Robbie. All of those guys, which is what you are saying, but remember that sometimes you have to put up with some of the me, me, me so they can learn in the process.

To this day, I have a personal Vendetta against Williams Arena at the University of Minnesota, not a player, coach or program......just the place. Whatever awful "juju" that was in the air that late Feb night will make me cringe when Purdue Basketball travels to Williams Arena.

After watching a short TV highlight of when he commentated at Williams Arena one night in this last season when he laced up to shoot some shots there, it made me wondered what was going through his mind and how his emotions were overall. It was pretty awesome to see him do that, but I still have those same vengeful feelings as a fan when seeing @Minnesota on a Purdue schedule.

I think everyone in the college basketball world knew that year, Purdue was THE squad to beat on the road to cutting down the nets.

You're not wrong. You should love Chris Kramer. I love Chris Kramer probably more than any Purdue fan. He did a lot for Purdue. As a senior helped win the big ten championship for Purdue. As a junior helped win the big ten tournament for Purdue. Grabbed a couple defensive players of the year. He's awesome.

With that being said. He's nowhere close to the player Robbie Hummel is. I don't care what aspect of the game you want to talk about either. Offense, defense, dirty work, clean work. It's not even close kind sir. The fact that you're saying they are the same legend is just kind of proving my point.

I've practiced with both, ate at the same table as both, trained with both. I've seen their dedication & sacrifice. Chris Kramer had to deal with something no other Purdue player had to really deal with at his level. Sexual temptation. He was like Justin Bieber. He handled it like Jesus Christ. Almost every guy and girl on campus every day trying to get in his pants in an aggressive animal like manner. To discipline yourself to side step that in the manner he did. LEGEND.

I'll never forget these NCAA moments for CK3.

Shot from his knees at FT against Arizona. Winning layup against TAMU.

Many, many other moments but I'll always vividly remember those 2.

You're not wrong. You should love Chris Kramer. I love Chris Kramer probably more than any Purdue fan. He did a lot for Purdue. As a senior helped win the big ten championship for Purdue. As a junior helped win the big ten tournament for Purdue. Grabbed a couple defensive players of the year. He's awesome.

With that being said. He's nowhere close to the player Robbie Hummel is. I don't care what aspect of the game you want to talk about either. Offense, defense, dirty work, clean work. It's not even close kind sir. The fact that you're saying they are the same legend is just kind of proving my point.

I've practiced with both, ate at the same table as both, trained with both. I've seen their dedication & sacrifice. Chris Kramer had to deal with something no other Purdue player had to really deal with at his level. Sexual temptation. He was like Justin Bieber. He handled it like Jesus Christ. Almost every guy and girl on campus every day trying to get in his pants in an aggressive animal like manner. To discipline yourself to side step that in the manner he did. LEGEND.
Agree with you.. Kramer was a decent defender and that was about it. Rob is a pro and was an extremely dominant power forward. No comparison between the skill level of those 2 players. #valpo

Agree with you.. Kramer was a decent defender and that was about it. Rob is a pro and was an extremely dominant power forward. No comparison between the skill level of those 2 players. #valpo

I think you’d be hard pressed to find someone that says Kramer was as good as Hummel. There’s a reason rob’s Jersey is in the rafters.

But to call Kramer a “decent” defender is also not being honest. He was 2 time DPOY and disrupted games more than any other player I can ever remember.

@StambiW You talk about Painter connecting with you and building a relationship before you committed.

As fans we watch as Painter “misses” on elite recruits, in your opinion why is that?

@StambiW You talk about Painter connecting with you and building a relationship before you committed.

As fans we watch as Painter “misses” on elite recruits, in your opinion why is that?

Lets not take for granted he had the #1 recruiting class in 2007. Overall 2007 is the best recruiting class since Coach Painter has been a head coach.

That's a good question though. It could be a number of things in my OPINION.
- High school players like interaction with Pro's ; Purdue has three players in the NBA?, none really household names. When I was there the only Purdue pro I got to truly interact with was Brian Cardinal, for a short time during the lockout. He by far had the biggest impact on me during my time at Purdue. I've been around pro's my whole life. I can only imagine how a high school player feels when Coach K has Lebron call the player. When Coach Cal has Devin Booker call a player. That's just a whole different thing.
- Coach Painter is a straight up guy. The fact of the matter there's a lot of phony players that are into a lot of goofy things, he's just not going to present.
- I don't believe Coach Painter bends the law, chea**, or does anything illegal. A lot of players don't represent themselves. The people who do represent them: Parents, coaches, mentor, often want a "little something" in order to deliver the player.
-Also, I think Coach Painter is conscious that the Purdue fan base wants a certain type of player. That limits your pool of elite players drastically. Enough players, play or live a certain way that West Lafayette at this moment I'm not sure is ready for.

With that being said, for 100% fact there's not a better coach on the planet more qualified for the job. Painter is a sick little genius in my opinion that'll ultimately get the last laugh.

So do other former or current players lurk on here to see what the fanatics have to say? I would be curious as a player. I can see Carsen looking on here after putting up 40 and thinking alright what kind of innane bullshit will they have to talk about now.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
-Also, I think Coach Painter is conscious that the Purdue fan base wants a certain type of player. That limits your pool of elite players drastically. Enough players, play or live a certain way that West Lafayette at this moment I'm not sure is ready for.

That's really interesting. Do you really think CMP thinks about the fan base when recruiting? Is it that or he just wouldn't know how to properly use a so called certain type of player? That thought has never crossed my mind but it makes sense on certain level. Also, put out a podcast with your book...

So do other former or current players lurk on here to see what the fanatics have to say? I would be curious as a player. I can see Carsen looking on here after putting up 40 and thinking alright what kind of innane bullshit will they have to talk about now.

Some do, as a player I never did. There are two types of players in my opinion:
1. The player that when it was time to have some free time as a kid that’s what they wanted to do, regardless of who played with them.
2. The player that plays primarily because they know others think it’s cool, play for the chicks, to get the attention of others.

I would say whoever you think player 2 is probably looks at things of this nature.

I doubt Carsen would lol seems like he’s conscious of exactly who he is regardless of outside opinion .

I honestly only checked it out because I’m releasing a book. I wrote the book for fun and shared it with my friends on Facebook (800 or so). Then when the link preview I put out started receiving thousands of views I was just interested in what the hell was going on. My friend sent me a link to this message board. I checked it out, Then I thought some of the stuff on here was pretty funny, then I figured I’ll answer some questions.

That's really interesting. Do you really think CMP thinks about the fan base when recruiting? Is it that or he just wouldn't know how to properly use a so called certain type of player? That thought has never crossed my mind but it makes sense on certain level. Also, put out a podcast with your book...

I don’t know, I would assume he makes decisions based on fan base. It’s like gladiators. If you win over the fan base you stay alive .

What I do know, after me being on campus he for sure knows West Lafayette isn’t cool with a dude running around treating the campus like its London, Milan or New York City . That’s for sure .

He’s smart he knows how to properly use every kind of player . But if he doesn’t get that elite player consistently after getting him, does he get unwarranted pressure? Which could result in getting fired? I think so.

Fan bases are kind of assholes. Kevin Ollie walked in the door, won a championship, has a couple not so good years. Boom. Fired.

So in the grand scheme of life although championships are cool. I’d rather be Coach Painter with longevity than Kevin Ollie. I’m speaking coaching career. Obviously I’m not taking Coach Painters big head over Kevin Ollie’s Head .

I disagree. I think Painter himself gets along best with certain type of players. Fortunately for both Purdue and Painter, there's a lot of overlap between what Painter likes and what Purdue fans want.

I disagree. I think Painter himself gets along best with certain type of players. Fortunately for both Purdue and Painter, there's a lot of overlap between what Painter likes and what Purdue fans want.

You’re right . For sure right . I think the very best players are easiest to coach and get along with.

You’re right . For sure right . I think the very best players are easiest to coach and get along with.

You’ve had some really interesting answers.

You didn’t mention a few other things as reasons purdue can’t seem to land as many star recruits as we’d like. The following are commonly cited reasons by message board gurus, so it’d be interesting to hear your opinion.

How did the academics factor into your decision? Specifically how did purdue put seemingly more emphasis on these than other schools?

How much did the town of WL factor into your decision? It’s pretty quiet and for lack of a better term, white. How much does this impede recruiting when going up against cities like Columbus, Ann Arbor, Minneapolis, Madison, etc?

Did any other coaches negatively recruit against painter?

Nobody is comparing the skill level of the two players. I am however comparing the level of love by the fans for certain players, their legacy. When talking about players the fans loved on the many teams through Purdue basketball history, Kramer is absolutely on the same level as Hummel. It’s one of the highest levels that exist and contains other guys like Cardinal, Chad Austin and Smooge. There are a couple of higher levels that consist of guys like Wooden, Big Dog, possibly CE and Biggie, guys like that, AA type guys who led their teams to championships. But back to the point, Kramer is loved and remembered on the level of Hummel. Perhaps it is due to them playing together, but, in my experience it is due to the level of sacrifice given for the team, not basketball skill level.

Reactions: LLaswell
Nobody is comparing the skill level of the two players. I am however comparing the level of love by the fans for certain players, their legacy. When talking about players the fans loved on the many teams through Purdue basketball history, Kramer is absolutely on the same level as Hummel. It’s one of the highest levels that exist and contains other guys like Cardinal, Chad Austin and Smooge. There are a couple of higher levels that consist of guys like Wooden, Big Dog, possibly CE and Biggie, guys like that, AA type guys who led their teams to championships. But back to the point, Kramer is loved and remembered on the level of Hummel. Perhaps it is due to them playing together, but, in my experience it is due to the level of sacrifice given for the team, not basketball skill level.
In no way is kramer remembered or considered anywhere near the level by anyone i know as hummel. Give me ryan cline all day over a Kramer.

Last edited:
Reactions: DannyGranger
You’ve had some really interesting answers.

You didn’t mention a few other things as reasons purdue can’t seem to land as many star recruits as we’d like. The following are commonly cited reasons by message board gurus, so it’d be interesting to hear your opinion.

How did the academics factor into your decision? Specifically how did purdue put seemingly more emphasis on these than other schools?

How much did the town of WL factor into your decision? It’s pretty quiet and for lack of a better term, white. How much does this impede recruiting when going up against cities like Columbus, Ann Arbor, Minneapolis, Madison, etc?

Did any other coaches negatively recruit against painter?

Academics played a major factor. I went to high school with a 99% graduation rate, half the kids go to either IU or Purdue and half go to an assortment of schools. I figured most of my friends would be able to get into IU or Purdue. Purdue for me put a huge emphasis on school once I got there. Before the dialogue was getting to know each other more so than dialogue about basketball & school.

I didn’t really care about the campus, I figured my friends would be there so I knew we were going to have fun regardless. I grew up in all Jewish neighborhood, lived in Italy, Greece and went to a catholic high school. I’ve been around white people for awhile. More white collar sort of people, so the blue collar vibe of West Lafayette was kind of shocking but “white” people wasn’t really a weird thing.

I like Purdue’s campus. I feel like everyone should, it’s pretty sweet. Not all spread out. But I guess if you wanted a city more than a college town that would give OSU, Minnesota and schools like that an advantage.

I was a weird sort of player, a lot of mid majors recruited me as well. So a lot of times they would say I would never see the court under coach painters watch. I guess there was some truth to that but nothing as far as his character was concerned. I’m not sure really anyone can say something bad about coach painter honestly.

I mean I feel you. I’m not sure Kramer sacrificed anymore than any other player on the team I was on with him. It’s a team sport, shouldn’t you just love everyone on the team equally?

Reactions: asmith640
I just stumbled upon this thread and didn’t realize KB was doing an AMA. I read the preview chapters a few weeks ago and they were a treat.

You’re still my favorite boiler of all time and I believe there’s no way we lose to VCU in 2011 if you’re on the court. I was crushed when you left in 2012. I left an irate voicemail for Where Else the following day and got suspended on the premium forum for jokingly asking if anyone knew the police officer’s home address so I could send a package.

Keep doing you and let us know when the book is complete.

Reactions: Ashaath2016
I just stumbled upon this thread and didn’t realize KB was doing an AMA. I read the preview chapters a few weeks ago and they were a treat.

You’re still my favorite boiler of all time and I believe there’s no way we lose to VCU in 2011 if you’re on the court. I was crushed when you left in 2012. I left an irate voicemail for Where Else the following day and got suspended on the premium forum for jokingly asking if anyone knew the police officer’s home address so I could send a package.

Keep doing you and let us know when the book is complete.

Oh wow I appreciate that. I’m glad you enjoyed the first two, you’ll have to let me know what you think upon completion. What was your favorite part from the first two chapters?

The book is already completed. The first 3 or the series are already completed. The first book will be released next week, so I’ll probably share a link in here.

Appreciate the love though! I’m sorry to hear you got suspended. I didn’t even get arrested in that situation, the appropriate address would have been the weirdo bouncer.

Reactions: pboiler18
Oh wow I appreciate that. I’m glad you enjoyed the first two, you’ll have to let me know what you think upon completion. What was your favorite part from the first two chapters?

The book is already completed. The first 3 or the series are already completed. The first book will be released next week, so I’ll probably share a link in here.

Appreciate the love though! I’m sorry to hear you got suspended. I didn’t even get arrested in that situation, the appropriate address would have been the weirdo bouncer.

Hey @StambiW , still planning on releasing the rest of Book One this week? Hope so!

Reactions: StambiW
Hey @StambiW , still planning on releasing the rest of Book One this week? Hope so!

You can get the ebook on stambi.com

I released it to a wave of email recipients initially. I'll release it to you guys and another wave of email recipients tomorrow. I just figured I'll prepare you for tomorrow, just in case it sells out again.
Gotta be honest every time I’d visit Purdue I was hoping to party with you. Can you give us some insight into the time you, JJ, Etwaun, and the GOAT were with Snoop? Take a trip to Narnia?

Reactions: dumpsterFyre
Gotta be honest every time I’d visit Purdue I was hoping to party with you. Can you give us some insight into the time you, JJ, Etwaun, and the GOAT were with Snoop? Take a trip to Narnia?

That's unfortunate friend. I definitely had a revolving door policy, all were welcomed for sure.
That's a wild question about snoop but I think it was his 40th birthday that night. He doesn't go to Narnia. His method is a super no no for me.

Reactions: BoilerWebb
That's unfortunate friend. I definitely had a revolving door policy, all were welcomed for sure.
That's a wild question about snoop but I think it was his 40th birthday that night. He doesn't go to Narnia. His method is a super no no for me.

Wait.. What? Snoop doesn't go to Narnia? I must of misunderstood the whole Narnia thing...

Wait.. What? Snoop doesn't go to Narnia? I must of misunderstood the whole Narnia thing...

You missed one detail. It's easier to comprehend after finishing the entire book but it's still pretty clear in the second chapter what it means to go to Narnia.

You can get the full book on stambi.com & I have a blog that gives little subtle clues & gems that goes in line with the creation of the story & the actual book series.

Let me know if you figure out what it means to go to Narnia.

He just means Snoop smokes blunts instead of joints lol. Like he said, if you read you'll understand. "The ticket to Narnia is a paper plane."

Last edited:

You missed one detail. It's easier to comprehend after finishing the entire book but it's still pretty clear in the second chapter what it means to go to Narnia.

You can get the full book on stambi.com & I have a blog that gives little subtle clues & gems that goes in line with the creation of the story & the actual book series.

Let me know if you figure out what it means to go to Narnia.
Where can we find the blog?

Also, can you talk about the real to fake ratio of the book? It says it's fictional but obviously some if not all of it is a true story.

I was a terrible basketball player. I'm shocked any of you liked me as a player. I was pure garbage.
Man I don’t remember what exactly happened, but you did something to Korie Lucious one game that broke Izzo. I watched from the student section as Izzo spent the entire time-out berating him and he never played another minute for MSU.

Man I don’t remember what exactly happened, but you did something to Korie Lucious one game that broke Izzo. I watched from the student section as Izzo spent the entire time-out berating him and he never played another minute for MSU.

lol, damn that's ****ed up. I'm pretty cool with Korie, I'll have to apologize to him next time I see him.

Where can we find the blog?

Also, can you talk about the real to fake ratio of the book? It says it's fictional but obviously some if not all of it is a true story.

https://stambi.com/blogs/news

I think you should ask me that question after you read the entire book.
Thanks for the link. And honestly I'll pay for it to support you but if it's fake I won't read much.

Also, can you talk about why you prefer joints over blunts? I know Wiz was huge during your time at Purdue but I've always preferred blunts. Bigger hits and burn slower.

Thanks for the link. And honestly I'll pay for it to support you but if it's fake I won't read much.

Also, can you talk about why you prefer joints over blunts? I know Wiz was huge during your time at Purdue but I've always preferred blunts. Bigger hits and burn slower.

Lol Does anything about me come off as fake?

Book 1 is a love story sort of vibe. Like Love & Basketball in Narnia.

I mean some people drink Natural Light Brew, & some people drink Moet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT