ADVERTISEMENT

Kelsey Barlow's book

I disagree with what I think you’re saying. Smith made the offense run smoothly. Night and day difference with how the O looked when he was out. This shows up in his phenomenal A/TO ratio.

I think everybody realized carrol was overmatched physically, but we didn’t have a lot of options at the time.

One of my very favorite Purdue plays ever was in the MSU game, Barlow took it the length of the court for a dunk.

I don’t think we would have won against VCU had Barlow been on the team, but we would have beaten Kansas and the next year would have been a lot more fun.

Ehh it’s a lot of what IF’s we are playing with.

And stop it the best Purdue anything basketball comes from Rob Hummel the goat.

Reactions: dbthehero
Coach painter has a system for his players both on the court and off the court. His job is to prepare his players how to be prepared to go work for someone. Most Purdue players mentalities is after college, “I’ll go work for someone”. I never thought about going to work for someone. I’ve done it as a professional player but I treat it like a hobby even in that setting. I’ll never treat basketball like a job.

So at Purdue I tried to trump the system, that obviously didn’t go so well. I was pretty close to trumping it though, so I’m sure I appeared pretty bizarre.

College basketball in itself is bizarre.
I am sure it is but I think you had the talent to be remembered like Hummel, Kramer, Cardinal and instead it’s the ball rack that may or may never have happened.
I don’t think basketball is considered a job by most players at Purdue. I do believe most take an extreme amount of pride in representing the university as well as playing tough nosed basketball.
Like I said, I wish you well. I also wish you could have stayed and followed the rules as I enjoyed watching you play no matter how many times I GDB’ed during games.

I am sure it is but I think you had the talent to be remembered like Hummel, Kramer, Cardinal and instead it’s the ball rack that may or may never have happened.
I don’t think basketball is considered a job by most players at Purdue. I do believe most take an extreme amount of pride in representing the university as well as playing tough nosed basketball.
Like I said, I wish you well. I also wish you could have stayed and followed the rules as I enjoyed watching you play no matter how many times I GDB’ed during games.

I referenced “job” from the professional aspect. That’s me saying I to have worked for someone. So obviously those Coach Painter lesson serve a great purpose even if you want to be a professional basketball player.

I definitely didn’t have the talent to be remembered like Kramer, Cardinal or Hummel. Mentally I wasn’t on that. The game is 90% mental. How I think and feel plays into my talent. Hummel is a GOD how dare you put Kramer and Cardinal in the same sentence as the great Rob Hummel.

Reactions: PurdueRS16

Also, could you walk me through how you envision this ball rack scenario playing out. I’ve heard this rumor for 7 years straight now. I still don’t even know how I personally would go about throwing a ball rack at another human. Do I lift it over my head? Do I get a running start and give it a push so it rolls into the guy? Do I take all the balls off so it’s lighter to throw? Or do I keep all the balls on so when I throw it, maybe I miss, the balls can bounce in his direction and he trips over one?

But hey if I’m remembered by a fictious ball rack story, I may be a legend nonetheless. Still no where close to Rob Hummel. He’s a God not a legend.

Much respect ! I thought all fathers and sons had migrated over to Fortnite by now. That’s great, I’m sure you will take your company to the mountain top.

Oh we went through fortnite phase. We pretty much stick to nba2k now though. It is funny cause video games drew my son into playing sports. He plays drums in band and that will be his passion too but now because he follows the nba so closely (due to nba2k) he spends a ton of time just practicing dribbling because he just wants to. It sucks though because band and basketball conflict as both are extracurricular at his school. Drums win for him in that competition. He plays alot with the Kids on the basketball team in pickup though so who knows once he is a freshman next year and things no longer conflict

Last edited:
Reactions: bredeweg44
Also, could you walk me through how you envision this ball rack scenario playing out. I’ve heard this rumor for 7 years straight now. I still don’t even know how I personally would go about throwing a ball rack at another human. Do I lift it over my head? Do I get a running start and give it a push so it rolls into the guy? Do I take all the balls off so it’s lighter to throw? Or do I keep all the balls on so when I throw it, maybe I miss, the balls can bounce in his direction and he trips over one?

But hey if I’m remembered by a fictious ball rack story, I may be a legend nonetheless. Still no where close to Rob Hummel. He’s a God not a legend.
Oh, I can’t explain it at all, nor do I believe it. Yet, that is the legacy left behind. Once again, bizarre.

Am I wrong?

I get your
I referenced “job” from the professional aspect. That’s me saying I to have worked for someone. So obviously those Coach Painter lesson serve a great purpose even if you want to be a professional basketball player.

I definitely didn’t have the talent to be remembered like Kramer, Cardinal or Hummel. Mentally I wasn’t on that. The game is 90% mental. How I think and feel plays into my talent. Hummel is a GOD how dare you put Kramer and Cardinal in the same sentence as the great Rob Hummel.

I get your point on this. I worked for 15 years for one company and felt confined in that space. It is no different in corporate america. If you are an individual who thinks outside the box or beats to his own drum, systems can seem overwhelming. I didnt realize how much i didnt fit until about 5 years into my career but i knew i needed to stick it out a while because i needed to establish myself to those who work well in a system as an expert in the field. You just realized you were a different cut probably in high school. The same things that made it hard for you in a system then are the same things that allow you to take stress and deal with any situation well now. You were 20 at the time and that was an experience you obviously grew from. It is pretty awesome that you are candid about it.

Oh, I can’t explain it at all, nor do I believe it. Yet, that is the legacy left behind. Once again, bizarre.

Am I wrong?

I don't know man. I just recently deep dived into all things Purdue as I'm writing this book series. So a lot of the opinions are pretty new to me. I'm always in my own little world doing things that make me happy. How someone feels about me from the outside isn't all that relevant. How people remember or see me? We all have our own perspectives and self project as well.

You're probably right though. The Ball racking choke signing tea bagger is probably my legacy.

Oh we went

Oh we went through fortnite phase. We pretty much stick to nba2k now though. It is funny cause video games drew my son into playing sports. He plays drums in band and that will be his passion too but now because he follows the nba so closely (due to nba2k) he spends a ton of time just practicing dribbling because he just wants to. It sucks though because band and basketball conflict as both are extracurricular at his school. Drums win for him in that competition. He plays alot with the Kids on the basketball team in pickup though so who knows once he is a freshman next year and things no longer conflict

Yea it seems like he has multiple interest so that's always pretty cool. Fortnite is awesome. Music is awesome. Basketball is awesome as well. Seems like a pretty sharp kid.

I get your

I get your point on this. I worked for 15 years for one company and felt confined in that space. It is no different in corporate america. If you are an individual who thinks outside the box or beats to his own drum, systems can seem overwhelming. I didnt realize how much i didnt fit until about 5 years into my career but i knew i needed to stick it out a while because i needed to establish myself to those who work well in a system as an expert in the field. You just realized you were a different cut probably in high school. The same things that made it hard for you in a system then are the same things that allow you to take stress and deal with any situation well now. You were 20 at the time and that was an experience you obviously grew from. It is pretty awesome that you are candid about it.

Basketball is weird. When I was a kid, all the adults, teacher, etc. Asked me: What do you want to do when you're older?

If I would say play professional basketball.

Their response would be that's a hobby. What do you really want to do?

Then when you make it to the "big stage" now all of sudden basketball is suppose to be the centerpiece of my life. A stage none one thought I could make it too in the first place. And now that I'm on the "big stage" the same people saying I couldn't make it are now criticizing me about how I do it. For what I can control, I'm pretty much doing it the same way when they were saying it's just a hobby.

So I don't know. I'm not that smart of a guy, I just generally do what I want to do and most of the time I'm pretty happy with the results.

StambiW what do you think of the trajectory of the program now? Clearly more depth on the roster and more athletic than when was there. And what do you think about Carsen Edwards or have you been watching? He is a one of a kind player for Purdue with that swagger.

StambiW what do you think of the trajectory of the program now? Clearly more depth on the roster and more athletic than when was there. And what do you think about Carsen Edwards or have you been watching? He is a one of a kind player for Purdue with that swagger.

I think Purdue in a weird way is in a position similar to the position they were in just before signing Robbie Hummel, Etwaun Moore, Jajuan Johnson & Scott Martin. You never know what can happen but as far as trajectory I would guess they will reach a final four at the latest 2022. Painter is the dude, he knows what he’s doing.

I went to a few games this year in Mackey. As a player, I think he’s phenomenal. The best player I’ve seen wear a Purdue jersey. Granted I’ve never watched a Purdue game prior to my arrival on campus. I think in these pre draft workouts no one will be able to guard him. He will be able to succeed in the countless shooting drills just as good as anyone in this years draft. Off the court, I don’t know him personally but his aura and his demeanor is that of an elite pro. I definitely see him as a first rounder. I think when teams start to be around him in this draft process his stock will only rise because of who he is as a person. I could see him getting drafted lottery.

I don't know man. I just recently deep dived into all things Purdue as I'm writing this book series. So a lot of the opinions are pretty new to me. I'm always in my own little world doing things that make me happy. How someone feels about me from the outside isn't all that relevant. How people remember or see me? We all have our own perspectives and self project as well.

You're probably right though. The Ball racking choke signing tea bagger is probably my legacy.
I think most alum and fans think of the players as part of the Purdue family and that they wish them well in everything they do. I have a feeling from the way you post here that you didn’t feel the same. I don’t think many folks think much about Kelsey Barlow anymore. I get it that you want to sell books and are here trying to entice us to read it. But, what I recall about your career is that Paint had trust in you and gave you an opportunity to play pro ball if that’s what you wanted. Instead, you were suspended and kicked off the team at times when he needed you the most. You mention the choke and I think IU fans remember that more than Purdue fans. All I recall about that instance was that in crunch time, you were on the bench and that regretfully so does kind of represent your career at Purdue. When the team needed you, you were not to be found.

Once again, I wish you well, but let’s not act like this is bigger than it was.

I think most alum and fans think of the players as part of the Purdue family and that they wish them well in everything they do. I have a feeling from the way you post here that you didn’t feel the same. I don’t think many folks think much about Kelsey Barlow anymore. I get it that you want to sell books and are here trying to entice us to read it. But, what I recall about your career is that Paint had trust in you and gave you an opportunity to play pro ball if that’s what you wanted. Instead, you were suspended and kicked off the team at times when he needed you the most. You mention the choke and I think IU fans remember that more than Purdue fans. All I recall about that instance was that in crunch time, you were on the bench and that regretfully so does kind of represent your career at Purdue. When the team needed you, you were not to be found.

Speak for yourself, incorporating others to make for your argument (Purdue fans) is obviously going to bring some validity to your opinion. I agree with you though, I'm just responding to the messages. I didn't really bring up the conversation on something that happened 7-10 years ago.

I don't think I'm this big star. I didn't think I was big anything when I was at Purdue. I was a terrible player. They gave me all freshman team at 3ppg. I couldn't believe it. I was trying to have fun in a situation that borderline could have made me depressed. The people on the outside put the microscope on my life and made things bigger. Purdue is literally just another three years of my life. Although, I was in the public eye during the time, it's just three years I enjoyed. No greater, no less than any other segment of three years of my life. It's sports, it's a debatable topic.

That's the great thing about sports, everyone gets to see it how they want. Does it make any of us right. I have no idea.

He's been pretty chill answering all our questions and giving us insight to the program. Not sure why you need to be a dick.

I think Purdue in a weird way is in a position similar to the position they were in just before signing Robbie Hummel, Etwaun Moore, Jajuan Johnson & Scott Martin. You never know what can happen but as far as trajectory I would guess they will reach a final four at the latest 2022. Painter is the dude, he knows what he’s doing.

I went to a few games this year in Mackey. As a player, I think he’s phenomenal. The best player I’ve seen wear a Purdue jersey. Granted I’ve never watched a Purdue game prior to my arrival on campus. I think in these pre draft workouts no one will be able to guard him. He will be able to succeed in the countless shooting drills just as good as anyone in this years draft. Off the court, I don’t know him personally but his aura and his demeanor is that of an elite pro. I definitely see him as a first rounder. I think when teams start to be around him in this draft process his stock will only rise because of who he is as a person. I could see him getting drafted lottery.

So if you were picking teams, you would have selected Hummel over JJ/Moore?

I frequently go back and forth over who I thought was the best.

He's been pretty chill answering all our questions and giving us insight to the program. Not sure why you need to be a dick.
What did I say that isn’t true?

I don’t believe this is Barlow and if it is, he clearly didn’t learn anything from his mistakes and doesn’t care one bit that he screwed Painter and the teams he played for more than once. Did you not see where he says he almost played the system? That means he did as he pleased instead of being a team mate and that he almost didn’t get kicked off the team for it. Once again, I will give the real Barlow the benefit of the doubt and hope he is doing well insisted of this guy who is clearly playing games.

Maybe you should go back to the main board and play the pissing matches you get into over there.

So if you were picking teams, you would have selected Hummel over JJ/Moore?

I frequently go back and forth over who I thought was the best.

Haha I wouldn’t say that . Rob is just the GOAT for his performance on and off the court. He’s the people’s champ, as well as a killer on the court. If I was to start a team I’m probably flippin a coin with them.

But if I had to, I’m probably starting with Etwaun . He had the perfect balance of knowing when to listen to the coach and knowing when to improvise.

I don’t believe this is Barlow and if it is, he clearly didn’t learn anything from his mistakes and doesn’t care one bit that he screwed Painter and the teams he played for more than once. Did you not see where he says he almost played the system? That means he did as he pleased instead of being a team mate and that he almost didn’t get kicked off the team for it. Once again, I will give the real Barlow the benefit of the doubt and hope he is doing well insisted of this guy who is clearly playing games.

Maybe you should go back to the main board and play the pissing matches you get into over there.

So you talk to frauds like they’re real?

You’re more impressive than I initially thought.

[

"Go back to the main board". Ouch that hurts.

[

"Go back to the main board". Ouch that hurts.
The fact that you have trashed Grady on here in the past, now you’re here defending a random guy claiming to be a player who was a known cancer on the team, chose his own wishes and urges over the team he committed to, as well as Painter who’s livelihood depended on his actions, yeah, that tells me all I need to know about you.

Go play with Snu. He’s more your speed.

The fact that you have trashed Grady on here in the past, now you’re here defending a random guy claiming to be a player who was a known cancer on the team, chose his own wishes and urges over the team he committed to, as well as Painter who’s livelihood depended on his actions, yeah, that tells me all I need to know about you.

Sounds like you're about to cry. Need a tissue?

Reactions: pboiler18

For someone who emphasizes the Purdue Family, you sure are rude to one of them. Barlow had his up and down, sure, but I hardly think he deserves this kind of treatment. Things don't work out. You can't always cherrypick things in life. Yes, we would have loved it had KB been the great athlete we expected him to be, but that is not always how the life pans out. In fact, that is RARELY the case. If it wasn't, Purdue should be donning multiple NC banners.

KB did not will things to happen the way it did. Frankly, I don't think he damaged the program or did any harm at all, unlike some others who had worn Purdue jerseys. It is one thing to think about what could have been, and it is another to disrespect someone who comes in peace. Painter certainly doesn't seem to mind KB so why should you?

Sounds like you are having a rough day. Maybe just take a deep breath. Barlow might not have been the guy to save the program but this guy has acknowledged that fact. I think it's time to forgive and move on. Seems like he has and now speaks highly of the program and 8s bsing with us now.

Things happen in life, we would all be happier if we accept our differences especially when someone acknowledges his part in the situation.

"Barlow" said he wasn't the live in the gym type, which is totally reasonable. I think painter's recent recruiting shows he has learned who fits Purdue best. Hard to get mad at a guy for living his life the way he wants to.

I don't know If this guy is really Barlow or not, but he's pretty amusing. If it's not Barlow, his takes are what I would think Barlow would say.

I think it's time to put it to the test. How can we find out if I'm actually the real "Barlow". There's got to be a determining factor because at this point I have no idea why someone would impersonate someone of my minuscule status.

I think it's time to put it to the test. How can we find out if I'm actually the real "Barlow". There's got to be a determining factor because at this point I have no idea why someone would impersonate someone of my minuscule status.

Hey there,

Thanks for continuing to answer our questions here. Can you say if the forthcoming chapters of Book One will contain many more Purdue stories? Maybe I'm a rube but I for one happen to believe you're the real Barlow. Sharing a bit more of the upcoming chapters could put any doubters to rest...

Side note: perhaps similar to visiting Narnia, back in the day my buddies and me would go "Wonka Vision" -- derived of course from the original Willy Wonka book / movie. Ahh, good times ;)

Have DJ come on here and vouch for you. Then there'll be no doubts. :D

Hey there,

Thanks for continuing to answer our questions here. Can you say if the forthcoming chapters of Book One will contain many more Purdue stories? Maybe I'm a rube but I for one happen to believe you're the real Barlow. Sharing a bit more of the upcoming chapters could put any doubters to rest...

Side note: perhaps similar to visiting Narnia, back in the day my buddies and me would go "Wonka Vision" -- derived of course from the original Willy Wonka book / movie. Ahh, good times ;)

Wonka Vision!!! That's unreal. I love every bit of that, gotta get that golden ticket aye?
There's another reference similar to Narnia & Wonka Vision I believe you will absolutely love when you get to the chapter.

There are many Purdue references in the first book and all throughout the seven book series. I love Purdue, it's an under appreciated place on earth in my opinion. I had to include Purdue, it's too lit of a place.

Have DJ come on here and vouch for you. Then there'll be no doubts. :D

He just got a new job at Mercer man. I think as an assistant coach or something. Doesn't seem appropriate for the Byrd man to join a discussion board. However fun fact, Dj Byrd and I played for municipal gardens aau program from 4th-6th grade together. 4th &5th grade I was on the B team but 6th grade we played together on the A team.

even without that. ... hmmm let me see. Im going to impersonate a purdue basketball player. Hmmm whom shall i be.... let me think .... oh oh yes. Kelsey barlow. Yeah you are real.

Seriously though. This has been a real treat for me because yeah i was just sad when you werent able to play but man you come on here and are humble and nice and just a good all around dude, giving us really good insight and letting us get to know you even though through the Internet. That right there is success cause while basketball is great, being a great person is better. Negatives need to be put in the past because how you move forward is what proves you out as a person. Am excited you are here taking time out to chat with us.

Wonka Vision!!! That's unreal. I love every bit of that, gotta get that golden ticket aye?
There's another reference similar to Narnia & Wonka Vision I believe you will absolutely love when you get to the chapter.

There are many Purdue references in the first book and all throughout the seven book series. I love Purdue, it's an under appreciated place on earth in my opinion. I had to include Purdue, it's too lit of a place.

What are your opinions of Ronnie Johnson? Did you like playing with him?

Coach painter has a system for his players both on the court and off the court. His job is to prepare his players how to be prepared to go work for someone. Most Purdue players mentalities is after college, “I’ll go work for someone”. I never thought about going to work for someone. I’ve done it as a professional player but I treat it like a hobby even in that setting. I’ll never treat basketball like a job.

So at Purdue I tried to trump the system, that obviously didn’t go so well. I was pretty close to trumping it though, so I’m sure I appeared pretty bizarre.

College basketball in itself is bizarre.
heck most of Purdue is that way - or at least Purdue engineering which I was more familiar with. As someone who attended both Yale and Purdue, that is the biggest difference I saw. At Purdue, you are trained to be a hardworking, highly efficient and highly productive person who does as told. There's a reason Purdue Engineering is always top 2 on employer rankings of schools to recruit from. At yale, you are trained with a different mentality, it's not easy to describe but there was much more flexibility about doing exactly as told.

Last edited:
from all of this, Purdue and Painter just didn't seem to be the right environment for someone like Kelsey Barlow. He could have thrived under different type of coaching and schools. I think Coach Painter has greatly improved his man management of different personality styles. But even today, a player like Barlow would still be a challenging fit at Purdue basketball.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boilerbuck
What are your opinions of Ronnie Johnson? Did you like playing with him?

I never played with Ronnie. I played dad’s club football with both Terone and Ronnie in 5th grade over in Haughville. Well for a couple weeks. Ronnie was in 2nd grade, he came around the corner as the RB... lights out. That was the end of both their football careers. I love Terone and Ronnie like brothers. Terone once stayed at my house for like 2 months straight as kids just hanging out playing basketball outside and grand theft auto.

heck most of Purdue is that way - or at least Purdue engineering which I was more familiar with. As someone who attended both Yale and Purdue, that is the biggest difference I saw. At Purdue, you are trained to be a hardworking, highly efficient and highly productive person who does as told. There's a reason Purdue Engineering is always top 2 on employer rankings of schools to recruit from. At yale, you are trained with a different mentality, it's not easy to describe but there was much more flexibility about doing exactly as told.

Haha. I get it. The truthful answer to why “this” is an answer I won’t let come out of my mouth.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT