ADVERTISEMENT

Just talking to an IU buddy of mine

I suspect IU's best strategy will be to run & gun, playing small ball. They have the athletes to do this very well. However, it means you must be hitting your jump shots at a high percentage. If the jump shots are falling, then small ball works very well. Shorter quicker guys getting free for quick shots, and fast run outs, and you have the ideal game for the personnel IU has this year. It is also a fun game to watch.

If the jump shots are not falling, and the opposition gets back into a defensive posture quickly, stopping fast breaks, then IU will struggle. They have enough to compete in this sort of slower game, but IU will be at a disadvantage in most of these match ups.

Now this is just my opinion, so don't take it persoannally. Most teams in the BIG will not try to run with IU. They will try to force IU into the grind-it-out type game. Last year, I think Maryland thought they could run with IU, and found out that was a bad strategy. I doubt they repeat that coaching mistake. I am not sold on Turgeon (SP?) either, so maybe he stubbles again. We can only hope.

:cool:

My only argument against that is last year we were almost forced to run and play small ball. Even with Hanner, who wasn't great but had his moments, we had no one over 6'9, plethora of guards, extremely weak front court, Hartman coming off his ACL tear. This year we only have 4 guards, added Bryant, a healthy Hartman, a senior in Beifeldt, and young forwads in morgan and Annunoby. That's why I like the lineup of Yogi/Jbj/Williams/Hartman/Bryant. Lets us run if we want with Yogi/Jbj/Williams, gives us 3 very good 3pt shooters, and still height underneath with Williams/Hartman/Bryant. I would love to see Hartman start. Gives us that stretch 4 even though he's only 6'6, smart player, and plays within himself. Almost a polar opposite of Williams. Its a much more balanced roster with players able to play multiple positions and us to play multiple ways. Perea would have been nice to have as a 2nd center and believe well see that impact at several points during the season but Beifeldt might be a more heady player, give us 10-15 minutes to spell Bryant. Holt at times can even play some 5.

He was but that was also against some pretty weak teams. The more telling stat to me was his first 5 B1G games, before the Illanoy game, he was 17/39 or 44% with games against Michigan, Wisc, Maryland. He was pretty inconsistent the rest of the year, at least part could be attributed to his injury but again was his non shooting hand and the pinky at that. But those 5 games to start the conference season shows he can shoot it well but its a small sample size. I'm just not ready to say he will shoot like that all year, but he does have it in him to do so.
It was after the Illinois and Iowa games that Stephens was almost shut down. There was some type of re-injury at that time and Kendall wasn't the same player after that point. It wasn't just shooting that was affected.

They may and should likely improve their shooting but I still feel teams will force you to shoot and clog the middle. Purdue's strength will still be their front court, even more so with Swan, and they won't completely take it away but I'd think teams will take their chances with your shooting. Another thing I want to see is how you guys play with a tougher schedule. Last year you had a very favorable draw only playing the top 4 teams (not including you guys of course) of MD/MSU/Iowa/Wisc once each and going 2-5 against the top 6 of the league. Now you guys did play those teams well for the most part but playing close is different than a win. But I understand the optimism, the 3 previous years were a bit of a rough stretch after the Hummel and baby powder years, doing so well after the predictions of a bottom half finish due to the last place finish the year before. The addition of Swan, the way you guys gelled in the later half of the year, seeing Purdue defense again. Getting Hill used to the B1G level will be key, getting him comfortable and him to understand his role and how to play within in the team full of bigs.
Purdue's schedule last year wasn't favorable. Wisconsin and Maryland had favorable conference schedules (Conf SOS of 66 and 69 respectively). MSU was 7, Nebraska was 13 and everone else was between 20 and 47. Purdue was 31, right in the middle of the pack.

Purdue's schedule last year wasn't favorable. Wisconsin and Maryland had favorable conference schedules (Conf SOS of 66 and 69 respectively). MSU was 7, Nebraska was 13 and everone else was between 20 and 47. Purdue was 31, right in the middle of the pack.

Where are you getting these numbers? Couldn't find them through google. Only playing 4 of the top 5 teams once each, I'm not sure how that's middle of the pack.

Where are you getting these numbers? Couldn't find them through google. Only playing 4 of the top 5 teams once each, I'm not sure how that's middle of the pack.
I don't understand this way of thinking. If you're a bad team, of course you don't want the play the top teams. But a good team that is in the hunt for the title, wants to be able to control its own destiny. I can assure you that the players wanted a shot at Wisconsin and MSU at home. They played very well at Madison and lost by 7 with a huge disparity in free throws. MSU was arguably AJ's worst performance of the year. Yet it too was a single digit loss.

There was a point in the season where Purdue had a chance to either be one game behind Wisconsin or even tie for first. This was during the streak where Purdue beat some ranked teams and was playing pretty well. If Wisconsin would have had to come to Mackey during that stretch. The way the conference ended up could have been completely different.
I'm thrilled we get to play the best teams this season. We have the ponies and the fear factor in these games should be even or reversed entirely to the opponent.

Bring on the season. Let's get this train rolling!

Reactions: Heller
I don't understand this way of thinking. If you're a bad team, of course you don't want the play the top teams. But a good team that is in the hunt for the title, wants to be able to control its own destiny. I can assure you that the players wanted a shot at Wisconsin and MSU at home. They played very well at Madison and lost by 7 with a huge disparity in free throws. MSU was arguably AJ's worst performance of the year. Yet it too was a single digit loss.

There was a point in the season where Purdue had a chance to either be one game behind Wisconsin or even tie for first. This was during the streak where Purdue beat some ranked teams and was playing pretty well. If Wisconsin would have had to come to Mackey during that stretch. The way the conference ended up could have been completely different.
I'm thrilled we get to play the best teams this season. We have the ponies and the fear factor in these games should be even or reversed entirely to the opponent.

Bring on the season. Let's get this train rolling!

Oh don't get me wrong I love playing the top of the league. Gets you used to playing better teams before the tournament and to really challenge your team. But as far as conference wins and standings go, only playing the top teams once will only help you with both. That's likely part of the reason you were only 1 game behind Wisconsin at some point. But while they went 7-1 against the top 5, only losing to #2 @ Maryland, Purdue went 1-5 only winning against #5 Iowa in Mackey.

Oh don't get me wrong I love playing the top of the league. Gets you used to playing better teams before the tournament and to really challenge your team. But as far as conference wins and standings go, only playing the top teams once will only help you with both. That's likely part of the reason you were only 1 game behind Wisconsin at some point. But while they went 7-1 against the top 5, only losing to #2 @ Maryland, Purdue went 1-5 only winning against #5 Iowa in Mackey.
If Purdue could have won at home against MSU or Wisconsin, how would that hurt them in wins and standings? It would have do e the exact opposite. I see what you're saying. But you perspective is from the point of view that you're going to lose. Iowa on the road was certainly doable and Maryland as well.

Not only would these games better prepare a team, it also could have a major effect on seeding going into the tournament.

If Purdue could have won at home against MSU or Wisconsin, how would that hurt them in wins and standings? It would have do e the exact opposite. I see what you're saying. But you perspective is from the point of view that you're going to lose. Iowa on the road was certainly doable and Maryland as well.

Not only would these games better prepare a team, it also could have a major effect on seeding going into the tournament.

Its a perspective of its harder to win against the top teams. I'm not talking about how it effects the team or how it prepares them. Just purely based on how it effects the conference standings. But if you're good enough as seen by Wisconsin, it only solidifies your B1G title/finishing order.

Perea wasn't a 5-star in the final Rivals standings. I get that he was at one point, but Rivals ultimately had him as the 9th best power forward and ranked 43rd in his class. Pretty sure 5-star cuts off at 25 (+/- a couple, not 100% sure how they decide that and/or whether it can deviate across years).
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Hanner-Perea-96521
4 star, 5 star, whats the difference? Kid should have been a NR since he had zero basketball skills in HS.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
Gotta love revisionist history, Perea was a 5-star virtually the entire ranking period and MAY have fallen off at the very end. The fact he was ever mentioned in the same sentence as one and done (yes, was) was just A Hope and A Prayer.

How do you get 1-5? If you exclude OSU, who finished sixth, Purdue was 0-2 on the road (hard fought losses against Wisconsin and MSU) and 1-1 at home (splitting with Maryland and Iowa). Most of Purdue's 5 double plays were against the next tier of OSU, Illinois, and IU with Purdue going 4-2. Purdue played just 8 games against the bottom 6, going 7-1.

How do you get 1-5? If you exclude OSU, who finished sixth, Purdue was 0-2 on the road (hard fought losses against Wisconsin and MSU) and 1-1 at home (splitting with Maryland and Iowa). Most of Purdue's 5 double plays were against the next tier of OSU, Illinois, and IU with Purdue going 4-2. Purdue played just 8 games against the bottom 6, going 7-1.

Those include the B1G tournament.

Those include the B1G tournament.
Even if you add the neutral court loss to Wisconsin in the BTT, I still don't see how you get to 1-5.

If you double Purdue's 5-3 regular season record against single plays, Purdue's Big Ten record would be 17-9. That's not much different than 12-6. The schedule thing is being way overblown.

Even if you add the neutral court loss to Wisconsin in the BTT, I still don't see how you get to 1-5.

If you double Purdue's 5-3 regular season record against single plays, Purdue's Big Ten record would be 17-9. That's not much different than 12-6. The schedule thing is being way overblown.

Sorry 1-4.

Iowa-Win
MSU-loss
Wisc-loss
Maryland-loss
Wisc(BTT)-loss

Sorry 1-4.

Iowa-Win
MSU-loss
Wisc-loss
Maryland-loss
Wisc(BTT)-loss
I don't see how a BTT game had anything to do with the standings, as your point seem to be how it affected where we placed. The BTT game certainly wasn't part of our schedule.

I don't see how a BTT game had anything to do with the standings, as your point seem to be how it affected where we placed. The BTT game certainly wasn't part of our schedule.

You stated that at one point Purdue was a game away from being 1 behind or tied with Wisconsin. I merely used the records as a point that even though you were one game away, the easier schedule of PU had a lot to do with it, and when you compare the teams games against the top of the conference, even though at one point PU was in the hunt, they weren't near the team Wisconsin was. This going back to saying you guys having a tougher schedule and playing more teams projected to be in the top, will hinder your conference standings this year as compared to last year.

You stated that at one point Purdue was a game away from being 1 behind or tied with Wisconsin. I merely used the records as a point that even though you were one game away, the easier schedule of PU had a lot to do with it, and when you compare the teams games against the top of the conference, even though at one point PU was in the hunt, they weren't near the team Wisconsin was. This going back to saying you guys having a tougher schedule and playing more teams projected to be in the top, will hinder your conference standings this year as compared to last year.
Yeah, you made the easy schedule argument long before I piped into this conversation. It had nothing to do with my statement that Purdue would have loved to play Wisconsin at home. You also keep pointing out standings and schedule. The BTT game was not part of the schedule, nor did it affect our standings.
It's okay. That's what a lot of IU fans like to use as a way to point to their belief that Purdue didn't earn 3rd place. The fact that you exaggerated the record also points to the probable reason for making the statement at all.

4 star, 5 star, whats the difference? Kid should have been a NR since he had zero basketball skills in HS.
No argument here on the NR part. I was simply stating that Hanner wasn't a Rivals 5-star player (unless Twin was talking about anything other than final rankings, and that's rarely the case for a player now 3 years removed from high school).
Gotta love revisionist history, Perea was a 5-star virtually the entire ranking period and MAY have fallen off at the very end. The fact he was ever mentioned in the same sentence as one and done (yes, was) was just A Hope and A Prayer.
Presumably this was directed at my post, but I'm not seeing the revisionist part. Firstly, he didn't "MAY have fallen off", he was clearly not a 5* player in the last round of rankings in spring 2012... I don't know why that's a point of contention, it's a ranking that hasn't changed in over 36 months and never will again.

If you're talking revisionist in the sense that some radical IU fans talked about Hanner being one-and-done, I'm not one of them. But you're correct, some did. I have one friend that was still telling me a month before Hanner got the boot that he expected the light bulb to come on for him this year. (What?!)

To Heller's point, Hanner was rated purely on physique and potential, and is a classic example - maybe the most classic example I can recall - of why fans shouldn't get too hung up on rankings. If I remember, he only started playing basketball a handful of years before coming to the US. For the rational IU fans (understanding you probably feel that's a small faction of us), that was red flag right there that he wasn't going to have good instincts as a basketball player. Frankly, I was always way more worried about Hanner ever becoming a reliable basketball player than I was about him leaving IU as a one-and-done.

Last edited:
This is one of the best assessments of the match I have read. Da Bull seems to know what he is talking about. I might add in a plus for the IU side. They are still stinging from the two losses last year. Yogi will not want to go out on a sour note. his game is always played on emotions. I think IU shoots the lights out. Will it be enough? Hard to say. I still think it will be close.

actually it is about as simple as how the game will be called. If called tight on the "DRIBBLE" past half court Purdue could have a tough time. If they let a lot of hacking before half court that "could" help IU. It will be tight adn outside shooting will always be a factor. Any anomaly for either team could spell doom, but I think Purdue is more versatile in scoring and wins more than half the time if these teams played a series. One game and I think we have all seen odd things happen. Still, protecting the perimeter past half court (no problem when shooting) by calling fouls on Purdue lets IU gets some FT. If the game does not allow a lot of trapping and hacking or refs are not whistle happy when a guy is dribbling and nto really doing a whole lot I think Purdue will be okay. I just think day in and day out Purdue players have never been showered with the offensive love many iU players got in high school and will be better on the D end day in and day out. Offensively, I think Purdue day in and day out will have a better inside/outside threat than IU...but it is ONE game and so anything can happen

No argument here. Take it up with Twin, he's the one who brought it up. :) I was just stating that Hanner wasn't a Rivals 5-star player (unless he was taking about anything other than final rankings, and that's rarely the case for a player now 3 years removed from high school).

Presumably this was directed at my post, but I'm not seeing the revisionist part. Firstly, he didn't "MAY have fallen off", he was clearly not a 5* player in the last round of rankings in spring 2012... I don't know why that's a point of contention, it's a ranking that hasn't changed in over 36 months and never will again.

If you're talking revisionist in the sense that some radical IU fans talked about Hanner being one-and-done, I'm not one of them. But you're correct, some did. I have one friend that was still telling me a month before Hanner got the boot that he expected the light bulb to come on for him this year. (What?!)

To Heller's point, Hanner was rated purely on physique and potential, and is a classic example - maybe the most classic example I can recall - of why fans shouldn't get too hung up on rankings. If I remember, he only started playing basketball a handful of years before coming to the US. For the rational IU fans (understanding you probably feel that's a small faction of us), that was red flag right there that he wasn't going to have good instincts as a basketball player. Frankly, I was always way more worried about Hanner ever becoming a reliable basketball player than I was about him leaving IU as a one-and-done.
Hanner was a taller Jacob Lawson in a lot of ways. Both could jump out of the gym, but neither ever really seemed to understand their assignments.

Reactions: Upright Hoosier
Yeah, you made the easy schedule argument long before I piped into this conversation. It had nothing to do with my statement that Purdue would have loved to play Wisconsin at home. You also keep pointing out standings and schedule. The BTT game was not part of the schedule, nor did it affect our standings.
It's okay. That's what a lot of IU fans like to use as a way to point to their belief that Purdue didn't earn 3rd place. The fact that you exaggerated the record also points to the probable reason for making the statement at all.

No you guys earned 3rd place, beat the teams in front of you. But when you look at Purdue's quality wins there arent many if any that really jump out at you. To see the team improve from last to 3rd in one year has to be a sight for sore eyes though. Again even with a tougher schedule i still have you guys finishing 3rd this coming season.

No you guys earned 3rd place, beat the teams in front of you. But when you look at Purdue's quality wins there arent many if any that really jump out at you. To see the team improve from last to 3rd in one year has to be a sight for sore eyes though. Again even with a tougher schedule i still have you guys finishing 3rd this coming season.
I apologize if your intent wasn't to diminish the fact that Purdue played the schedule handed to them and won the games they were expected to. With just one more quality win, Purdue could have jumped to a 7 seed possibly. So although the odds were better to beat Illinois then Wisconsin or Iowa for that matter. The payoff wasn't near as good and could be considered a barrier as much as an advantage.

ESPN RPI Conference SOS column.

Ahh. Perhaps its because you didn't get to play yourself. That alone gave us 2 more games against the top 4. I guess what I'm getting to with all this is I'm ready for the damn season to start, especially conference games.

Ahh. Perhaps its because you didn't get to play yourself. That alone gave us 2 more games against the top 4. I guess what I'm getting to with all this is I'm ready for the damn season to start, especially conference games.
IU has the easiest schedule this year of the top teams but in the end, you still have to win games and there are no gimmes. While I agree with you on many things, watching Yogi dribble around for 25 seconds or the black hole aka JBJ taking every shot that isn't a dunk is rather boring to me. And you can bet that this year is going to be more of the Yogi attempt to audition for the NBA than it is winning IU basketball games.

IU fans wandering about our point guard play or even Boiler fans for that matter can go ahead and mark it off the list.

Johnny Hill is just as good as Octeus.... he's extremely solid and has been very very impressive this summer. There is no doubt who will play the major minutes at the point guard position.

He actually is a perfect fit for this team in every way.

Reactions: Cleanface
IU fans wandering about our point guard play or even Boiler fans for that matter can go ahead and mark it off the list.

Johnny Hill is just as good as Octeus.... he's extremely solid and has been very very impressive this summer. There is no doubt who will play the major minutes at the point guard position.

That's great to hear again. If he turns out better than Octeus, this team should be greatly improved over last season.

If he turns out to be out of this world and earns his Boilermaker wings-Johny Angel.

IU has the easiest schedule this year of the top teams but in the end, you still have to win games and there are no gimmes. While I agree with you on many things, watching Yogi dribble around for 25 seconds or the black hole aka JBJ taking every shot that isn't a dunk is rather boring to me. And you can bet that this year is going to be more of the Yogi attempt to audition for the NBA than it is winning IU basketball games.

I think some of the feedback for Yogi from the NBA will suggest the opposite. He's never going to be that player at the next level. He'll have to be a facilitator and a very good one if he ever hopes to make a roster. I cringed as much as anyone during our game in btown, @ maryland, etc when he tried to be the hero with an open guy near the basket. The schedule is a two face deal, one side it will generally lead to a better conference record, the other is it can make Crean look better than he is and lead to more years of him on the sidelines. Not sure who id like to have but 7 years of him should give you enough to judge. His tenure has been erratic and and just enough to give you hope for the following year.

I think some of the feedback for Yogi from the NBA will suggest the opposite. He's never going to be that player at the next level. He'll have to be a facilitator and a very good one if he ever hopes to make a roster. I cringed as much as anyone during our game in btown, @ maryland, etc when he tried to be the hero with an open guy near the basket. The schedule is a two face deal, one side it will generally lead to a better conference record, the other is it can make Crean look better than he is and lead to more years of him on the sidelines. Not sure who id like to have but 7 years of him should give you enough to judge. His tenure has been erratic and and just enough to give you hope for the following year.
His Mommy runs him. Harken back to just last year when DocLibby went on her rant about how everyone else on the team was there to support her son who was the "star". I can tell you his feedback was that he plays lousy defense, dribbles too much, hunts shots to keep his scoring average up and is too damn short for the league. He'll play in Euro ball but I'll eat Brussel Sprouts for breakfast, lunch and dinner if this kid ever makes a NBA roster.

Reactions: Da_Bull

Its possible but game play especially in the B1G is different then summer scrimmages and pickup games. Like your shooting it very well could improve but its still a question mark at this point until the season starts. We heard for several years how good hollowell and perea looked during the summer only to look like the same underwhelming players that they had been.

His Mommy runs him. Harken back to just last year when DocLibby went on her rant about how everyone else on the team was there to support her son who was the "star". I can tell you his feedback was that he plays lousy defense, dribbles too much, hunts shots to keep his scoring average up and is too damn short for the league. He'll play in Euro ball but I'll eat Brussel Sprouts for breakfast, lunch and dinner if this kid ever makes a NBA roster.

Ehhh you might want to hold back on that, or possibly prepare to eat Brussels Sprouts for all meals.

Obviously, his height is a clear disadvantage, but Yogi shoots the 3 ball so well, and that cannot be understated. He is lightning quick, and if Isaiah Thomas (the kid from Washington, now playing for the Celtics) can make it, then, I believe Yogi has a real shot.

This coming from an IU-Hating Purdue fan. Yogi was the only reason IU stayed alive last season against Purdue.

I don't think she runs him, she's just very public with her opinion. I don't think he's completely lousy on defense, just last year he was praised for his defense against Stauskas when he shut him down. They likely do want to see him improve his defense, become more of a leader/facilitator, be more efficient (fg/3pt%, ast/to), and win. He's not a complete shot hunter, he was 4th in the conference in assists. He's just a damn good shooter off the dribble and he likes to take advantage of it.

I don't think she runs him, she's just very public with her opinion. I don't think he's completely lousy on defense, just last year he was praised for his defense against Stauskas when he shut him down. They likely do want to see him improve his defense, become more of a leader/facilitator, be more efficient (fg/3pt%, ast/to), and win. He's not a complete shot hunter, he was 4th in the conference in assists. He's just a damn good shooter off the dribble and he likes to take advantage of it.
As much as I would like it to be other wise, Bull is right... again. At least in my opinion. Yogi has the assist stats to go with it. I think he is around 4 assists per game, and as of the start of the season, I think he is arguably the second best PG in the BIG. Melo Trimble might edge him slightly for #1.

Yogi can defend also, but defence is a team effort, and I expect IU to suffer the same kinds of team-defence breakdowns as last year. An individual's defense does not translate into wins unless the whole team understands & executes the defensive play.

I do agree with who ever said JBJ plays like the black hole of basketball. At least he did last year. I will give him some credit that he will improve on his tendency to think that any shot is a good shot. However, when closely guarded he got discouraged and disappeared in games. That tendency might remain.

With the addition of the kid from Duke, I think Maryland has the best backcourt in the BIG. IU might be second, at least going into this year. Will this pecking order stay as is? Will MSU or Purdue's back court play stronger? Both have the potential to exceed IU and maybe equal Maryland. It is why they play the games.

With the addition of the kid from Duke, I think Maryland has the best backcourt in the BIG. IU might be second, at least going into this year. Will this pecking order stay as is? Will MSU or Purdue's back court play stronger? Both have the potential to exceed IU and maybe equal Maryland. It is why they play the games.

I dont think Purdue has any chance this year of having a better back court than IU and i dont even need to discuss talent. Our back court simply gets more usage than PU's will. They'll put up more numbers on a consistent basis. PU doesnt even have the potential to do it, but that doesnt mean they cant be solid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT