ADVERTISEMENT

Just talking to an IU buddy of mine

Mcluck

True Freshman
Dec 17, 2009
We are both excited as can be about the upcoming season. Still cannot believe both teams are finally top tier and we only play once. I'd put this in the top rivalries out there. Just to start a debate I'd say the second best rivalry behind only Duke vs. NC.

Currently I'd say it's ((at the highest)) 3rd best. Most websites have it 5-6 range.

UK v UoLCC is #2.

Historically it is Top 3, but it's been down recently. No arguing that. Hopefully this changes over the next several seasons and PU v IU returns to prominence.

Last edited:
Reactions: B1Gboilermaker
I still don't see how IU will be THAT good. Have a good big guy coming in but it doesn't appear that he's Elite....and if he's not elite it will take time to develop. They won't admit it, but losing Parea will hurt them more than they think. Relying on a freshman to anchor them at Center and then not having a good backup isn't a great strategy.

They are a year older at the guard spots....but IMO JBJ and Yogi are as good as they are going to be...and JBJ has never been a big factor in games with us.

IU has 4 starters returning and a touted big man coming in.

They will be solid. Not sure about "top tier", but solid.

We will still crush, of course, but they will be a good T20 squad.

Both of us being T20 this season, and at each others throats in the late Spring/early Summer, are good steps in the right direction RE restoring the significance of the rivalry.

Reactions: B1Gboilermaker
IU has 4 starters returning and a touted big man coming in.

They will be solid. Not sure about "top tier", but solid.

We will still crush, of course, but they will be a good T20 squad.

Both of us being T20 this season, and at each others throats in the late Spring/early Summer, are good steps in the right direction RE restoring the significance of the rivalry.

Many times, basketball is a game of match-ups. IU will match up well against some teams and very poorly against others. Their roster is not designed to accomodate different line-ups to get better match-ups. It's always going to be 4 guards/wings and one tall guy. Against a defensive minded tall team like Purdue, IU will not match-up very well.

The end result will be IU victories over some teams that make them look like world beaters, and then they will be crushed by some tieams and look completely inept. Some of their fans will not understand the problems Crean faces with this roster and will be up and down all season. Chest beating bragging, followed by quiet fury against the coach. Should be fun to watch.

:cool:

We are both excited as can be about the upcoming season. Still cannot believe both teams are finally top tier and we only play once. I'd put this in the top rivalries out there. Just to start a debate I'd say the second best rivalry behind only Duke vs. NC.

iu top tier? In their minds and the mind of a few nimrod idiot sports writers I am sure......but the B1G season should humble them quickly enough.

And as far as Purdue as a Top Tier?.....I want to see guard play first.

As far as rivalries vs quality ranked teams such as Duke?NC.........iu/PURDUE does not really compare--lately both are unranked or way down the top 25.

I still don't see how IU will be THAT good. Have a good big guy coming in but it doesn't appear that he's Elite....and if he's not elite it will take time to develop. They won't admit it, but losing Parea will hurt them more than they think. Relying on a freshman to anchor them at Center and then not having a good backup isn't a great strategy.

They are a year older at the guard spots....but IMO JBJ and Yogi are as good as they are going to be...and JBJ has never been a big factor in games with us.

More 5-stars than any other B1G team is why the high hopes. Same as last year. They should have won the conference with their talent. I expect more underachieving.

IU will need to hope J. Blackman recovers from his knee surgery . . . He is out of action until September. Let's just hope we see Crean continue work his "magic".

I really expect that if the Boilers achieve at a high level . . . Top 3 B1G finish, strong B1G tourney and at least a NCAA Sweet 16,. . . We'll see CMP gain the recruiting momentum required to keep Purdue relevant as a top 25 program.

Reactions: boilerbusdriver
More 5-stars than any other B1G team is why the high hopes. Same as last year. They should have won the conference with their talent. I expect more underachieving.

Your comment sparked a thought about how teams are perceived. I find it interesting that 2-3 years into their college careers, kids are still judged by their high school ranking. We all do it, and I am not being critical of your post. I just think it is weird that Yogi, Blackman, etc. are still judged on their high school rankiing and not on what we now know as their capability emonstrated by their college play. For example, Yogi is all-BIG. That is a fact. I'd love to have him on our team. Blackman, not so much, regardless of his 5-star higfh school ranking.

Bryant is another 5-star player, but all we have to judge his performance is his high school ranking - that's seems reasonable. They lost Perrea who their other 5-star. I am not aware of any other true 5-star players on their roster. IU also has had a lot of 4-star players who for various reasons have never succeeded, many no longer on the team. It seems Crean requires a high level of skill and talent of incoming players, before he can craft them into his teams.

5-star players are highly likely to make an impact on the team. However, I recall reading a list of 5-star recruits that littered the trash pile at MSU. Kids are not always what they seem to be.

Your comment sparked a thought about how teams are perceived. I find it interesting that 2-3 years into their college careers, kids are still judged by their high school ranking. We all do it, and I am not being critical of your post. I just think it is weird that Yogi, Blackman, etc. are still judged on their high school rankiing and not on what we now know as their capability emonstrated by their college play. For example, Yogi is all-BIG. That is a fact. I'd love to have him on our team. Blackman, not so much, regardless of his 5-star higfh school ranking.

Bryant is another 5-star player, but all we have to judge his performance is his high school ranking - that's seems reasonable. They lost Perrea who their other 5-star. I am not aware of any other true 5-star players on their roster. IU also has had a lot of 4-star players who for various reasons have never succeeded, many no longer on the team. It seems Crean requires a high level of skill and talent of incoming players, before he can craft them into his teams.

5-star players are highly likely to make an impact on the team. However, I recall reading a list of 5-star recruits that littered the trash pile at MSU. Kids are not always what they seem to be.

I think we have to keep in mind that Blackmon was only a Frosh last year...he is as talented a 2 guard/SG as any. Let's not lose sight of that.

Regarding Bryant, he is NOT a 5-star. I know stars aren't everything, but he is not a 5-star talent. Close to it, according to the "rankings," but not quite.

Last edited:
I personally think that IU will be dependent upon how much Emmett Holt improves over his freshman year. He looked lost last year but he's very long and pretty quick so he could offer matchup problems if he improves his overall game. If he doesn't, then Bryant will have to man the post by himself and that spells doom for the Hoosiers.

Pie charts and line graphs also included for our viewing pleasure:)
For whatever reason, whenever he stops by here to share in his "wisdom", I have this image of how he must loook in my head:

iom5gj.jpg

I think we have to keep in mind that Blackmon was only a Frosh last year...he is as talented a 2 guard/SG as any. Let's not lose sight of that.

Regarding Bryant, he is NOT a 5-star. I know stars aren't everything, but he is not a 5-star talent. Close to it, according to the "rankings," but not quite.

Also, he now has a knee injury, albeit not serious, but that will limit his ability this summer to work on his defense. I had to chuckle even as I was typing this.

IU will need to hope J. Blackman recovers from his knee surgery . . . He is out of action until September. Let's just hope we see Crean continue work his "magic".

I really expect that if the Boilers achieve at a high level . . . Top 3 B1G finish, strong B1G tourney and at least a NCAA Sweet 16,. . . We'll see CMP gain the recruiting momentum required to keep Purdue relevant as a top 25 program.
What most don't realize is this is Blackmon's second knee issue. My guess it's going to hamper him throughout the season.

What most don't realize is this is Blackmon's second knee issue. My guess it's going to hamper him throughout the season.

Blackmon came back to average 34 pts a game the season after his first knee issue, which was a torn ligament. This was just cartilage. I doubt it'll carry over into the season too much given his history. And it's not like it can make him any worse defensively.

Blackmon came back to average 34 pts a game the season after his first knee issue, which was a torn ligament. This was just cartilage. I doubt it'll carry over into the season too much given his history. And it's not like it can make him any worse defensively.

I think Blackmon is a 15 ppg type scorer. Maybe you meant minutes per game, because that is about what he plays. I don't think he has ever averaged 34 ppg. In fact, has he ever hit 34 points in a game?

By the way, I do hope he has a full recovery from the knee issues. I don't like to see any kid get injured permanently. They give enough of their blood , sweat, and tears to us fans as it is. I hate to see any permanent damage from these sports.

I think Blackmon is a 15 ppg type scorer. Maybe you meant minutes per game, because that is about what he plays. I don't think he has ever averaged 34 ppg. In fact, has he ever hit 34 points in a game?

By the way, I do hope he has a full recovery from the knee issues. I don't like to see any kid get injured permanently. They give enough of their blood , sweat, and tears to us fans as it is. I hate to see any permanent damage from these sports.

He was referencing Blackmon's HS year after the acl tear.

Somebody got snu hog tied or maybe he's recovered from the koolaide he drank a couple years back finally

He's over on Peegs snipping back and forth with PurduePete on who will be better this year, PU or IU. Same ole shtick.

BTW: Thanx BBG for the graphic! Classic! And thank you for your service.

He's over on Peegs snipping back and forth with PurduePete on who will be better this year, PU or IU. Same ole shtick.

BTW: Thanx BBG for the graphic! Classic! And thank you for your service.
Was I snipping? I like chatting with snu. He always walks himself right into a conundrum. I merely leave a light trail and he happily follows it.

Was I snipping? I like chatting with snu. He always walks himself right into a conundrum. I merely leave a light trail and he happily follows it.
I read through your exchange and I must say, you defended your opinion very well and snuuze really had no answer.

What is funny is that the theme for his entire exchange is that IU is the only school that improves where everyone else pretty much doesn't. The homer bias is strong in that one.

No harm intended. I actually enjoyed reading your exchange with snu because he/she always retorted with something like "you are stupid and I'm not", or "you obviously don't know BB", etc. As BBG said, you defended your opinion well.

I was actually surprised the thread didn't get high jacked into another "CTC sucks - who else is better - you can't be a IUBB fan if you don't support CTC" as it seems all the Peegs threads do.

Nicely done. I have one back and forth with him on this board, and on the main Rivals Basketball board. It always goes the same way each time you refute his statements;
1. The experts say IU is going to be great, and I don't need to defend them
2. Because... Just because... Bryant fills the only home in our game, and he will be great. No other problems with the team exist.
3. Purdue is weak because we didn't win games against the the top 3, at least IU beat Maryland (dodges the IU-Purdue game results). Of course, RU beat Wisconsin, does that make RU a great team?
3. If you can't see things the way I do, then you are a dumb stupid-head and a homer, and I'm not

It is fun to watch the cycle.

Last edited:
No harm intended. I actually enjoyed reading your exchange with snu because he/she always retorted with something like "you are stupid and I'm not", or "you obviously don't know BB", etc. As BBG said, you defended your opinion well.

I was actually surprised the thread didn't get high jacked into another "CTC sucks - who else is better - you can't be a IUBB fan if you don't support CTC" as it seems all the Peegs threads do.
I was kidding actually. I was bored and saw his post and played along for a bit. He will be one of the guys bragging on a top 25 rating until mid February when reality sets in. Then he will disappear and probably secretly root for Butler.

I was kidding actually. I was bored and saw his post and played along for a bit. He will be one of the guys bragging on a top 25 rating until mid February when reality sets in. Then he will disappear and probably secretly root for Butler.

With regard to IU, I think the most telling statistic (BIG only) is that both IU and Purdue scored at about the same rate per possession. Purdue was 5th in the BIG scoring at the rate of .452 per posssession. IU was 6th, score .450 per possession. About even.

However, IU was 14th in defense allowing their opponent to score at a .475 rate, while Purdue was #1 defensively, allowing only a score rate of .393. Here is where the real difference is between the two teams as of last year.

Scoring rates and defensive capability carry over year-to-year pretty well, especially if the teams have roughly the same personnell. I don't see this changing much next year.

Reactions: Hoogolf and Statey
Nicely done. I have one back and forth with him on this board, and on the main Rivals Basketball board. It always goes the same way each time you refute his statements;
1. The experts say we are going to be great, and I don't need to defend them
2. Because... Bryant fills the only home in our game, and he will be great. No other problems with the team exist.
3. Purdue is weak because we didn't win games against the the top 3, at least IU beat Maryland (dodges the IU-Purdue game results)
3. You are a dumb stupid-head and a homer, and I'm not

It is fun to watch the cycle.

Very true and one more::

4. I'm done talking to someone so stupid who didn't research it as much as I did. I know I'm right and it's a known fact. So there! Click...dial tone.

Yeah it is kind of fun going over to peegs and poking the mutts from the trailer park once in awhile

Reactions: proudopete
With regard to IU, I think the most telling statistic (BIG only) is that both IU and Purdue scored at about the same rate per possession. Purdue was 5th in the BIG scoring at the rate of .452 per posssession. IU was 6th, score .450 per possession. About even.

However, IU was 14th in defense allowing their opponent to score at a .475 rate, while Purdue was #1 defensively, allowing only a score rate of .393. Here is where the real difference is between the two teams as of last year.

Scoring rates and defensive capability carry over year-to-year pretty well, especially if the teams have roughly the same personnell. I don't see this changing much next year.

These percentages are for field goal percentage (in conference games only), rather than points per possession. Purdue did really well in this category.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT