ADVERTISEMENT

Just talking to an IU buddy of mine

I dont think Purdue has any chance this year of having a better back court than IU and i dont even need to discuss talent. Our back court simply gets more usage than PU's will. They'll put up more numbers on a consistent basis. PU doesnt even have the potential to do it, but that doesnt mean they cant be solid.
IU has more backcourt talent and will put up bigger numbers, but Purdue doesn't need or even want big numbers from its backcourt. What Purdue needs is efficiency: low turnovers and high true shooting percentages, to go along with solid defense. With so much focus on the front court and stopping Purdue in the paint, I think that Purdue has a chance to get really solid efficiency numbers from the backcourt, perhaps among the best in the conference.

As an offshoot of the Purdue/IU thread over at the Stye I believe I have coined a new word. The word is morony. If something is ironic it involves irony. Since SNU doesn't understand the concept of irony/ironic I believe his posting often enters the realm of moronic hence the term morony applies to that which he posts.

Reactions: proudopete
Gotta love revisionist history, Perea was a 5-star virtually the entire ranking period and MAY have fallen off at the very end. The fact he was ever mentioned in the same sentence as one and done (yes, was) was just A Hope and A Prayer.
Is the A-hope pipeline still on-going or has that more or less ground to halt due to the limited results gained for IU?

Is the A-hope pipeline still on-going or has that more or less ground to halt due to the limited results gained for IU?

I would guess that the slap on the wrists IU got from fooling with A-Hope recruits might have redirected IU's recruiting. I know he was voted second most likely to cheat by his peers, but I think he trys reasonably hard to keep the program clean. Crean might steer away from A-Hope, unless they have a really good recruit. Maybe they don't right now, so you don't see the pipeline in action.

Remember, the personality of the coach is a bit manic. I think right now he is focused on flying all over the country throwing IU offers out the plane window as he passes over a recruit's neighborhood. IIRC he is spending an enormous amount of money on recruiting right now, IU leads the BIG in MBB recruiting spend by a large margin. In true manic fashion, he gets focused in one particular type of action and pursues it frantically.

While there will always be kids that want to play at IU because their families have always been fans, many of the more rational recruits in the state seem to avoid the catch & release strategy Crean uses, and look elsewhere. That may be why he is flying around the country.

:cool:

Since SNU doesn't understand the concept of irony/ironic I believe his posting often enters the realm of moronic hence the term morony applies to that which he posts.
I used to defend SNU but have come to realize he has the cognitive ability of an egg plant. Sure people are biased when it comes to their team, but he takes it to a whole new level.

Speaking of SNU, I believe it was him that wanted folks to go to the main rivals board to get unbiased options. He posted this thread about defensive improvement over there, specifically about IU jumping up the 150 spots or whatever the claim is.

http://forums.rivals.com/threads/team-defense-improvement.164340/

Funny thing is that even IU fans are commenting and saying the claims are nuts. Good stuff.
If you go on the main Rivals board, as I did, you will find a bunch of IU guys patting UK guys on the back, and saying how good UK will be. Then the UK guys align themselves with SNU and a couple other IU boys if anyone challenges either.

The level of hypocracy and kiss-up by the IU fans (mostly SNU) on that board is pretty strong. Of course, he continues to argue against straw man positions that you never posted, and accuses everyone else of being homers. It was fun debating with a different fan base, but I doubt I will go back to that board. The cross support between UK and IU fans was sickening.

If you go on the main Rivals board, as I did, you will find a bunch of IU guys patting UK guys on the back, and saying how good UK will be. Then the UK guys align themselves with SNU and a couple other IU boys if anyone challenges either.

The level of hypocracy and kiss-up by the IU fans (mostly SNU) on that board is pretty strong. Of course, he continues to argue against straw man positions that you never posted, and accuses everyone else of being homers. It was fun debating with a different fan base, but I doubt I will go back to that board. The cross support between UK and IU fans was sickening.

That's strange. I went there and had my usual back and forth and being called a homer and unreasonable but the only person who agreed with Snu was his second screen name da bull.

Crean has this game circled from the get go, it's the only match up this year and we beat IU decisively in both games last year. If he could have Bob Knight give the pregame pep talk and John Mellancamp sing the National Anthem he will.

Crean has this game circled from the get go, it's the only match up this year and we beat IU decisively in both games last year. If he could have Bob Knight give the pregame pep talk and John Mellancamp sing the National Anthem he will.
If Crean loses to Purdue again it could be the end for him. You can tell he has already started cutting corners in recruiting.

That's strange. I went there and had my usual back and forth and being called a homer and unreasonable but the only person who agreed with Snu was his second screen name da bull.

In his mind, facts are determined by how many people he can find on the web who agree with his POV. If all those people are simply him logged on under different names, it still validates his point -- in his mind.

I would guess that the slap on the wrists IU got from fooling with A-Hope recruits might have redirected IU's recruiting. I know he was voted second most likely to cheat by his peers, but I think he trys reasonably hard to keep the program clean. Crean might steer away from A-Hope, unless they have a really good recruit. Maybe they don't right now, so you don't see the pipeline in action.

Remember, the personality of the coach is a bit manic. I think right now he is focused on flying all over the country throwing IU offers out the plane window as he passes over a recruit's neighborhood. IIRC he is spending an enormous amount of money on recruiting right now, IU leads the BIG in MBB recruiting spend by a large margin. In true manic fashion, he gets focused in one particular type of action and pursues it frantically.

While there will always be kids that want to play at IU because their families have always been fans, many of the more rational recruits in the state seem to avoid the catch & release strategy Crean uses, and look elsewhere. That may be why he is flying around the country.

It's also likely that crean was given boundaries by the iu administration after he and others were found multiple times skirting the rules.

I've been thinking about you a lot lately, SQUIRREL!

In his mind, facts are determined by how many people he can find on the web who agree with his POV. If all those people are simply him logged on under different names, it still validates his point -- in his mind.
Yep. He and Bull are now saying that Bryant will stretch the defense by hitting 3's. After all of the talk about having a legit big man finally, they want him to play on the perimeter. Baffling. Bull even linked a video of the McDonald's all American practice to prove how good he is. It of course was all highlights of Bryant pushing off on smaller defenders and shooting long range unguarded. I asked about the fact that it showed zero defensive highlights from Bryant as that is what they both keep harping on as the reason IU will be better. All I got was crickets.

Classic IU delusional bandwagon fans.

Yep. He and Bull are now saying that Bryant will stretch the defense by hitting 3's. After all of the talk about having a legit big man finally, they want him to play on the perimeter. Baffling. Bull even linked a video of the McDonald's all American practice to prove how good he is. It of course was all highlights of Bryant pushing off on smaller defenders and shooting long range unguarded. I asked about the fact that it showed zero defensive highlights from Bryant as that is what they both keep harping on as the reason IU will be better. All I got was crickets.

He pushes off to get open? He will be a perfect complement to Yogi!!!

And he could toss in Vitale for the opening game excitement and IU would still lose. They are not much better than last year.

I'm pretty sure Da Bull and SNU are different guys. Da Bull knows basketball fairly well. Although a bit of a homer (who isn't) Da Bull will give you a good analysis. SNU reverts to a "just 'cause I said so" type argument when challenged.

I'm pretty sure Da Bull and SNU are different guys. Da Bull knows basketball fairly well. Although a bit of a homer (who isn't) Da Bull will give you a good analysis. SNU reverts to a "just 'cause I said so" type argument when challenged.
You know that is true. Here is hoping that Da Bull is the sensible IU fan we have been searching for! :D

You know that is true. Here is hoping that Da Bull is the sensible IU fan we have been searching for! :D
"Sensible IU fan"........................ Saw this in Websters under the heading "Oxymoronic phrases of note"!!!

First off way to embellish. I never said he'd be playing on the perimeter. I did say he has the ability to shoot the 3 if they want to sag off of him in the paint and in the pick and roll/high screen game. He will shoot the ball and I welcome it. Keep the guy from sagging and it only opens up the lane for drives. He's not going to sit at the 3 line jacking up bombs all game. I also prefaced that video by saying its just highlights but gives you an idea of what he does well. He did pick Stones pocket in the vid. I quit responding because neither side was getting through, and became pointless after a point. You don't think he'll be better than Hanner, I said he will even if he simply plays the full schedule as Perea missed 9 B1G games last year. Below starting about the 1:50 mark shows some of his defense, again its just highlights in high school but he shows good awareness and timing on blocks. I don't see how he can't be better at the 5 on defense than 6'6 Hartman or 6'8 Perea who loved to take charges. He's longer, taller then both, and has a much high basketball IQ than perea.

First off way to embellish. I never said he'd be playing on the perimeter. I did say he has the ability to shoot the 3 if they want to sag off of him in the paint and in the pick and roll/high screen game. He will shoot the ball and I welcome it. Keep the guy from sagging and it only opens up the lane for drives. He's not going to sit at the 3 line jacking up bombs all game. I also prefaced that video by saying its just highlights but gives you an idea of what he does well. He did pick Stones pocket in the vid. I quit responding because neither side was getting through, and became pointless after a point. You don't think he'll be better than Hanner, I said he will even if he simply plays the full schedule as Perea missed 9 B1G games last year. Below starting about the 1:50 mark shows some of his defense, again its just highlights in high school but he shows good awareness and timing on blocks. I don't see how he can't be better at the 5 on defense than 6'6 Hartman or 6'8 Perea who loved to take charges. He's longer, taller then both, and has a much high basketball IQ than perea.

That's not the video you shared for one. Secondly if you call that picking Stones pocket, I don't know if you understand what that means.
Here's the video you shared and Stine lost the ball all by himself and Bryant picked it up.

After watching the videos of Bryant, he is going to get abused down low from his lack of muscle as compared to others in the league. He will stretch defenses because he will have to play outside the lane for the most part.

After a year of gaining muscle that should change, but next season... no.

That's not the video you shared for one. Secondly if you call that picking Stones pocket, I don't know if you understand what that means.
Here's the video you shared and Stine lost the ball all by himself and Bryant picked it up.

Yeah I posted the other vid to show his D. Picking his pocket= a steal IMO, he knocked it out of his hands. If you think Stone lost it on his own you're either blind or living up to your username.

After watching the videos of Bryant, he is going to get abused down low from his lack of muscle as compared to others in the league. He will stretch defenses because he will have to play outside the lane for the most part.

After a year of gaining muscle that should change, but next season... no.

I don't think he'll get abused. He's already added 100lbs on his squat since he arrived on campus. He might struggle at times against the bigger bigs and against the physical play of the B1G in general, but the league isn't comprised of too many truly strong bigs.

I don't think he'll get abused. He's already added 100lbs on his squat since he arrived on campus. He might struggle at times against the bigger bigs and against the physical play of the B1G in general, but the league isn't comprised of too many truly strong bigs.
Maybe. Contrary to what snu thinks, AJH and Haas and probably even Biggie to an extent I think will not have any trouble with him. Biased sure, but just going off of the videos and taking in to account the sheer size of those 3, Bryant will get wore out .. especially with no real option for a backup for him.

Maybe. Contrary to what snu thinks, AJH and Haas and probably even Biggie to an extent I think will not have any trouble with him. Biased sure, but just going off of the videos and taking in to account the sheer size of those 3, Bryant will get wore out .. especially with no real option for a backup for him.

I'll say he'll do slightly better than Hartman :D and yogi if we don't quit that switch everything BS. To see him guarding Hammons last year was like

nba_dailydime_268.jpg

Yeah I posted the other vid to show his D. Picking his pocket= a steal IMO, he knocked it out of his hands. If you think Stone lost it on his own you're either blind or living up to your username.
If you are calling Stones left calf Bryant's hand, then yeah he knocked it out of his hand. You may want to rewatch it again. Bryant doesn't touch the ball until it's two feet behind Stone. Bryant left an opening to the basket and Stone tried to get pretty by dribbling behind his back to go left to the opening. He dribbles it off the back of his left calf. Not to mention the shove by Bryant when the ball is behind Stone would be called a foul.
But ask the others here what they think.

If you are calling Stones left calf Bryant's hand, then yeah he knocked it out of his hand. You may want to rewatch it again. Bryant doesn't touch the ball until it's two feet behind Stone. Bryant left an opening to the basket and Stone tried to get pretty by dribbling behind his back to go left to the opening. He dribbles it off the back of his left calf. Not to mention the shove by Bryant when the ball is behind Stone would be called a foul.
But ask the others here what they think.

The ball is at Stone's hip when Bryant knocks it away. Pause it frame by frame at the 1:00-1:03 mark. I don't think he pushed off Stone just had his momentum being carried forward as he was making his move but could possibly be called during a true game.

Last edited:
The ball is at Stone's hip when Bryant knocks it away. Pause it frame by frame at the 1:00-1:03 mark. I don't think he pushed off Stone just had his momentum being carried forward as he was making his move but could possibly be called during a true game.
I see the poke. I still say it's stone trying to be Jordan that caused the turnover. I don't see many other bigs trying to drive from the circle in the B1G. But yeah. He stole the ball from a 6'10" guy trying to play point guard. Impressive.

I see the poke. I still say it's stone trying to be Jordan that caused the turnover. I don't see many other bigs trying to drive from the circle in the B1G. But yeah. He stole the ball from a 6'10" guy trying to play point guard. Impressive.

Lol you just cant give any credit. Its a 1on1 drill between two centers, as simple as that but you had to argue a meaningless point.

Lol you just cant give any credit. Its a 1on1 drill between two centers, as simple as that but you had to argue a meaningless point.
I said I saw the poke. I don't know what else you want me to say.
I will add that if he is going to stay out of foul trouble, he will need to stop reaching on defense and shoving off on offense. IU fans love to say Purdue players are too physical and grab and shove a lot. Well he has his hands all over Stone here and the shove after the steal would probably be called a foul and negate the breakaway.
He has skills no doubt. But he will need to move his feet and keep his hands off players for IU to be able to use his skills.

Sadly, I can't/won't disagree with your manic/frantic comments. I tend to agree. I do think one can argue that he gets good enough results on the recruiting trail (generally speaking), but he's nowhere close to the top of the "bang for your buck" rankings.

On a related note, as a fan I feel offering so many kids every year cheapens the IU offer a little. I don't know how that's interpreted by 16/17yr-olds though; I've never heard any recruits comment "I'd feel better better about my IU offer if they hadn't offered 6 other people at my same position", but that doesn't mean they aren't thinking it.

But who uses one steal from one drill to declare a player a defensive stopper?

No one did, why does this place always embelish things? Proudopete said the video showed no defense, i merely mentioned it showed bryant picking stone's pocket. We then had an argument because he didnt have his reading glasses on.

The game this year will be better than it has in a while but still not on the level of UK/UofL or Duke/UNC. I see IU and PU both on about the same level, both lacking in certain areas. Purdue lacking guard play and shooting, IU lacking post depth and defense. Purdue will be more consistent, playing solid D, very good front court but may lack the fire power to pull away or come back if they get down double digits. IU will have the higher ceiling but not sure how close we'll get to that ceiling, very good back court, 3 pt shooters, but how smart will they play when the shots don't fall and can they get stops late in the game, how will Holt play down low when not if Bryant gets in foul trouble. I still have PU finishing 3rd 1 spot ahead of IU and behind Maryland and MSU. We have the more favorable schedule so could come into play as far as B1G finishing order, Maryland has a tough schedule but the most talent IMO, MSU even though they lost quite a bit, still have Izzo and have a favorable schedule. Plus I really like Valentine. He's my choice for POY, going up against Tremble/Yogi/Hammons. Should be a fun year.

My only argument against that is last year we were almost forced to run and play small ball. Even with Hanner, who wasn't great but had his moments, we had no one over 6'9, plethora of guards, extremely weak front court, Hartman coming off his ACL tear. This year we only have 4 guards, added Bryant, a healthy Hartman, a senior in Beifeldt, and young forwads in morgan and Annunoby. That's why I like the lineup of Yogi/Jbj/Williams/Hartman/Bryant. Lets us run if we want with Yogi/Jbj/Williams, gives us 3 very good 3pt shooters, and still height underneath with Williams/Hartman/Bryant. I would love to see Hartman start. Gives us that stretch 4 even though he's only 6'6, smart player, and plays within himself. Almost a polar opposite of Williams. Its a much more balanced roster with players able to play multiple positions and us to play multiple ways. Perea would have been nice to have as a 2nd center and believe well see that impact at several points during the season but Beifeldt might be a more heady player, give us 10-15 minutes to spell Bryant. Holt at times can even play some 5.

Purdue's schedule last year wasn't favorable. Wisconsin and Maryland had favorable conference schedules (Conf SOS of 66 and 69 respectively). MSU was 7, Nebraska was 13 and everone else was between 20 and 47. Purdue was 31, right in the middle of the pack.

Where are you getting these numbers? Couldn't find them through google. Only playing 4 of the top 5 teams once each, I'm not sure how that's middle of the pack.

I don't understand this way of thinking. If you're a bad team, of course you don't want the play the top teams. But a good team that is in the hunt for the title, wants to be able to control its own destiny. I can assure you that the players wanted a shot at Wisconsin and MSU at home. They played very well at Madison and lost by 7 with a huge disparity in free throws. MSU was arguably AJ's worst performance of the year. Yet it too was a single digit loss.

There was a point in the season where Purdue had a chance to either be one game behind Wisconsin or even tie for first. This was during the streak where Purdue beat some ranked teams and was playing pretty well. If Wisconsin would have had to come to Mackey during that stretch. The way the conference ended up could have been completely different.
I'm thrilled we get to play the best teams this season. We have the ponies and the fear factor in these games should be even or reversed entirely to the opponent.

Bring on the season. Let's get this train rolling!

Oh don't get me wrong I love playing the top of the league. Gets you used to playing better teams before the tournament and to really challenge your team. But as far as conference wins and standings go, only playing the top teams once will only help you with both. That's likely part of the reason you were only 1 game behind Wisconsin at some point. But while they went 7-1 against the top 5, only losing to #2 @ Maryland, Purdue went 1-5 only winning against #5 Iowa in Mackey.

If Purdue could have won at home against MSU or Wisconsin, how would that hurt them in wins and standings? It would have do e the exact opposite. I see what you're saying. But you perspective is from the point of view that you're going to lose. Iowa on the road was certainly doable and Maryland as well.

Not only would these games better prepare a team, it also could have a major effect on seeding going into the tournament.

You stated that at one point Purdue was a game away from being 1 behind or tied with Wisconsin. I merely used the records as a point that even though you were one game away, the easier schedule of PU had a lot to do with it, and when you compare the teams games against the top of the conference, even though at one point PU was in the hunt, they weren't near the team Wisconsin was. This going back to saying you guys having a tougher schedule and playing more teams projected to be in the top, will hinder your conference standings this year as compared to last year.

Yeah, you made the easy schedule argument long before I piped into this conversation. It had nothing to do with my statement that Purdue would have loved to play Wisconsin at home. You also keep pointing out standings and schedule. The BTT game was not part of the schedule, nor did it affect our standings.
It's okay. That's what a lot of IU fans like to use as a way to point to their belief that Purdue didn't earn 3rd place. The fact that you exaggerated the record also points to the probable reason for making the statement at all.

No you guys earned 3rd place, beat the teams in front of you. But when you look at Purdue's quality wins there arent many if any that really jump out at you. To see the team improve from last to 3rd in one year has to be a sight for sore eyes though. Again even with a tougher schedule i still have you guys finishing 3rd this coming season.

IU has the easiest schedule this year of the top teams but in the end, you still have to win games and there are no gimmes. While I agree with you on many things, watching Yogi dribble around for 25 seconds or the black hole aka JBJ taking every shot that isn't a dunk is rather boring to me. And you can bet that this year is going to be more of the Yogi attempt to audition for the NBA than it is winning IU basketball games.

IU fans wandering about our point guard play or even Boiler fans for that matter can go ahead and mark it off the list.

Johnny Hill is just as good as Octeus.... he's extremely solid and has been very very impressive this summer. There is no doubt who will play the major minutes at the point guard position.

He actually is a perfect fit for this team in every way.

Let's let the IU fans keep thinking that we are devoid of talent at the PG. That way the win at AH will be so much sweeter.

Some good quotes but another good read if you have the time.

Da Bull, You are really active on the main board. As in there are very few threads that you don't get involved in. Especially if IU or PU is mentioned. I'm curious why you only come here after the IU win? You didn't post anything here when IU was struggling earlier in the year especially in Maui. Nothing after losing at Penn State....

If you really want people to take you seriously here then you need to show up during good and bad. Otherwise you will just get lumped in with all the other bandwagon people. Maybe you don't care, but you must, because you took the time to go back and bump 2 threads from last summer.

Stick around and participate all the time, not just when it is after an IU win. Unless you are just seeing what kind of reaction you get so you can run back to the main board and report. I would welcome you and Upright Hoosier to contribute here.

Da Bull, You are really active on the main board. As in there are very few threads that you don't get involved in. Especially if IU or PU is mentioned. I'm curious why you only come here after the IU win? You didn't post anything here when IU was struggling earlier in the year especially in Maui. Nothing after losing at Penn State....

If you really want people to take you seriously here then you need to show up during good and bad. Otherwise you will just get lumped in with all the other bandwagon people. Maybe you don't care, but you must, because you took the time to go back and bump 2 threads from last summer.

Stick around and participate all the time, not just when it is after an IU win. Unless you are just seeing what kind of reaction you get so you can run back to the main board and report. I would welcome you and Upright Hoosier to contribute here.

Ha probably because i already knew how bad we were playing, didn't need, want, to read anymore about it. Hell I almost stopped watching games after Maui. Honestly try not to make it a habit of posting on here considering how bad this board used to be with IU trolls. Posted a few times last spring/summer/fall in regards to the upcoming season. Had remembered some conversation today about it and figured i'd take a look back and see what was said, always fun to me to see the points of view at that time now that we are at that point we were trying to predict, not necessarily to throw things back in peoples faces. I'll try and pop in throughout the end of the year, BTT, and NCAA tourney. As wild as this year has been its only going to go up IMO. Buckle up.

Ha probably because i already knew how bad we were playing, didn't need, want, to read anymore about it. Hell I almost stopped watching games after Maui. Honestly try not to make it a habit of posting on here considering how bad this board used to be with IU trolls. Posted a few times last spring/summer/fall in regards to the upcoming season. Had remembered some conversation today about it and figured i'd take a look back and see what was said, always fun to me to see the points of view at that time now that we are at that point we were trying to predict, not necessarily to throw things back in peoples faces. I'll try and pop in throughout the end of the year, BTT, and NCAA tourney. As wild as this year has been its only going to go up IMO. Buckle up.
Looks like you have rekindled several threads from months ago. Probably aren't going to get much response or if you do it will most likely get ugly. I don't think the folks at Peegs would be very welcoming of a PU poster that did that there either.

I very rarely go to Peegs so I don't know how many PU people post on there regularly, but my guess is not very many. Does it normally stay civil when they do?

Looks like you have rekindled several threads from months ago. Probably aren't going to get much response or if you do it will most likely get ugly. I don't think the folks at Peegs would be very welcoming of a PU poster that did that there either.

I very rarely go to Peegs so I don't know how many PU people post on there regularly, but my guess is not very many. Does it normally stay civil when they do?

Wouldn't know don't post on the free board, rarely post on the premium board. The posts may not be welcomed but nothing wrong with people laughing at things they said in the past. Not trying to be a prick and didn't post immediately after the IU/PU game so maybe that'll garner me a little good will, doubtful but maybe. There was some good conversation in those threads mixed in between some muck. Stephens was brought up a lot, sucks him having to deal with his situation, wish we could have seen him at full strength mentally and physically. He was the main guy i was interested in watching this year from Purdue, along with Cline who seems to be carving himself out some PT, needs more IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT