ADVERTISEMENT

is it just me

The portal has been better to us coming in than it has hurt us with guys leaving at this point.

I hope that continues to stay true moving forward! I said when it was announced, I think the portal is overall good for mid P5 teams like Purdue. We can shed the guys more easily who just don't fit the team or arent truly P5 type recruits. On the other side, we can take top guys from other programs that are buried on a depth chart but might play and develop here sooner. Plenty of transfers out there motivated to come and play at a good school and program vs. some guys only looking for a pay day!

Let the big dawgs focus on "NIL" inducement payments....we can get the guys who want to be here, want to play football and want to be team players that can be coached up!

The portal has been better to us coming in than it has hurt us with guys leaving at this point.

I hope that continues to stay true moving forward! I said when it was announced, I think the portal is overall good for mid P5 teams like Purdue. We can shed the guys more easily who just don't fit the team or arent truly P5 type recruits. On the other side, we can take top guys from other programs that are buried on a depth chart but might play and develop here sooner. Plenty of transfers out there motivated to come and play at a good school and program vs. some guys only looking for a pay day!

Let the big dawgs focus on "NIL" inducement payments....we can get the guys who want to be here, want to play football and want to be team players that can be coached up!
We’ve never beaten Alabama or Ohio State consistently for HS recruits, and likely never will.

My only concern has been getting star underclassmen poached off our roster. Like say if Caraway has 10 sacks this year… think A & M won’t make him a huge offer to come home ?

We’ve never beaten Alabama or Ohio State consistently for HS recruits, and likely never will.

My only concern has been getting star underclassmen poached off our roster. Like say if Caraway has 10 sacks this year… think A & M won’t make him a huge offer to come home ?
Unfortunately, this is the world we live in. The NIL has caused issues for even the big boys. Retaining players will be like free agency every year.

I like what he's doing with recruiting and the portal. I got word that Tae Tae Johnson really likes him and originally wanted to commit to ND, but doesn't prefer the position they want him to play. He wants to play WR over Safety.

Good point. Although you'd think the guys would need to factor in the risk of playing in another system in which they wouldn't produce as much. If Caraway is a 10 sack guy this year, he probably would be projected as a pretty high draft pick the following year. Slipping from rd 1 to say rd 2 is a significant drop in $$$.

Good point. Although you'd think the guys would need to factor in the risk of playing in another system in which they wouldn't produce as much. If Caraway is a 10 sack guy this year, he probably would be projected as a pretty high draft pick the following year. Slipping from rd 1 to say rd 2 is a significant drop in $$$.
Yeah, and hopefully this staff will have a good enough relationship with the player so we would get the “last shot” in a situation like that.

Part of why guys stay is the chance to play and the system they are in. Why leave a place where you’re comfortable, have already had success only to go fight for a spot at a place that might have guys that are more talented?

The caveat here is that it will for sure happen to us at some point just like we have poached good players from mid majors or guys struggling to get their deserved attention at a P5.

Reactions: Flot
Part of why guys stay is the chance to play and the system they are in. Why leave a place where you’re comfortable, have already had success only to go fight for a spot at a place that might have guys that are more talented?

The caveat here is that it will for sure happen to us at some point just like we have poached good players from mid majors or guys struggling to get their deserved attention at a P5.
Paging Jack Plummer. Jack Plummer to the white courtesy phone, please.

Kid put some really good numbers up late in the season and, while he lost his OC, the new one throws the ball a lot, also. For some reason, though, he left a starter job to fight for a position at UL in a system that he never really clicked in. Weird.

On a note of internet, Cal is bringing Sam Jackson from TCU to replace Plummer. Jackson was, as many might recall, the short out-of-left-field commit that we took that pushed McCulley to IU…

I think it’s just you. We had two AP 2nd team all big ten and we lost them both. No one else on our team is worth the big $ for a major program to throw around except for maybe Thieneman. I think we played the incoming guys in well by picking up a few guys looking for a chance to start with a staff with a good track record of developing DBs like Green and also lured some good mid-conference guys away with our modest NIL.

Hate the Big Ten Ted Podcast, he is such a tool. But Ted thinks Dillon T will be poached next year if he has another rock solid season.

My take is that Dillon has family ties to Purdue, and Ted does not know what he is talking about. But then when a program throws tons of money at him, you never know.

I hope he has one or two solid years for us (surpass Stu Schweikert production) and go to the NFL instead of leave Purdue for another place to be a one year rental.

Last edited:

NFL scouts wants to see if Nic had success because of the scheme, or if he is a stud. If he can replicate the production at A&M that would answer those questions and improve the draft stock. If his production slips, his draft stock slips, but he got paid anyway.

His home town is 10 miles from College Station, probably another factor in his decision.

Hate the Big Ten Ted Podcast, he is such a tool. But Ted thinks Dillon T will be poached next year if he has another rock solid season.

My take is that Dillon has family ties to Purdue, and Ted does not know what he is talking about. But then when a program throws tons of money at him, you never know.

I hope he has one or two solid years for us (surpass Stu Schweikert production) and go to the NFL instead of leave Purdue for another place to be a one year rental.
Dillon’s family also has a couple successful companies locally and he may not be as influenced by cash as much.

Reactions: pboiler18
We definitely have brought in better players than what we lost. Looking back, it’s not like the players we lost except for Scrouton were that great to begin with. The new philosophy seems to be if I’m a 4/5 star player and I didn’t play my freshman year, I’m going to enter the portal. What is not being talked about much is that when you look at Alabama OSU much and all the rest, the vast majority of the 4/5 star players that left didn’t play as a freshman. And their teams all recruited another 4/5 star player at their same position. They basically saw they had no future. Much like our basketball team lost two guards when we recruited Loyer and smith.

Players look for 3 things, money, a chance to play and a championship. If your school cannot offer those three things, the player will find one that can. McChord left OSU saying it was a business decision on both his part and OSU. In other words it had nothing to do with playing time or winning a championship. He basically wanted more money than OSU was willing to give him!

It’s no longer about getting an education!

McChord left OSU saying it was a business decision on both his part and OSU. In other words it had nothing to do with playing time or winning a championship. He basically wanted more money than OSU was willing to give him!
McCord left because Day told him he was going to look elsewhere for a starter. Which he was successful at. Howard is a big upgrade.

Unfortunately we will need to pay the man at some point but will do so with communication with the Thieneman family.

We still need to recruit Purdue kids- ok to live in the area for several years, are good students and they want a great education.

I’m curious how the data/analytics program Profile Painter uses is going to help football (and other sports) in getting the right mix of 85 players. And now that there is an endowment in place to use this system, could this help a new football coach living in the reality of the NIL/transfer portal young world we are living in?

Quote from the article from 2018 “Painter is bitching, Chad Brown is listening. Brown, a fellow Purdue grad and former football coach, doesn’t know Painter that well — he earned the card game invite via his college roommate, former basketball player, Brian Cardinal — but eventually, he has to speak up. “Man, I don’t mean to push this on you,’’ Brown tells Painter. “But I think I can help you.’’

Since that conversation Purdue is 104-27, and Painter has reconfigured his entire recruiting strategy, searching for guys who are productive as well as talented, who are more dominant and stable in their personality rather than extroverted influencers who merely want to be the life of the party. How did he figure it out? How did he identify the players who fit? Simple. He took Brown’s advice and had them take a test.”

To the admin/writers, I’d like more information on how we are incorporating this new system to football. Update from Painter on how the system is working for him. Will/Is Coach Walters using it?

We definitely have brought in better players than what we lost. Looking back, it’s not like the players we lost except for Scrouton were that great to begin with. The new philosophy seems to be if I’m a 4/5 star player and I didn’t play my freshman year, I’m going to enter the portal. What is not being talked about much is that when you look at Alabama OSU much and all the rest, the vast majority of the 4/5 star players that left didn’t play as a freshman. And their teams all recruited another 4/5 star player at their same position. They basically saw they had no future. Much like our basketball team lost two guards when we recruited Loyer and smith.

Players look for 3 things, money, a chance to play and a championship. If your school cannot offer those three things, the player will find one that can. McChord left OSU saying it was a business decision on both his part and OSU. In other words it had nothing to do with playing time or winning a championship. He basically wanted more money than OSU was willing to give him!

You’re kidding, you don’t think Burks was that great? He was our only playmaker at WR! And what about Sheffield? And we lose our best options to step up at WR with Rice, ARY, and Canion gone. Our entire depth chart at WR just left and you think we are better off? We have Dixon-Veal who had 142 yards and Tibbs who had 42 yards coming back…

We lost our top TE too, I know he wasn’t the same but he was the best we had. I know some will argue Klare has more upside but he’s coming off a bad injury.

On defense losing Scourton, Sydnor, Kpaka, and Brothers hurts our front 7 big time. The 3 guys we gained in the front 7 are not close to matching up with what we lost. Sillah has not been the same since his injury and has 15 tackles the past 2 seasons. CJ Madden has 3 tackles his first 2 years. And Dinkins never amounted to much at Kentucky. And the Ojata guy isn’t a big ten starting player. All depth pieces. Green has potential at DB but we will likely be counting on a lot of true freshmen to contribute.

I’d say we improved at one position group, OL which I know is important to you but I completely disagree we improved overall in the transfer portal. We lost our only 2 AP all big ten first or second team players and have not had anyone commit that is close to that level. Just roster plugs.

Reactions: Boiler8285
Our roster at WR is super thin.... If you think we were bad at that position last year just wait. We have in no way made up for our WR losses in the portal. It will be hard to run an Air Raid offense with no air.

Reactions: Boiler8285
You’re kidding, you don’t think Burks was that great? He was our only playmaker at WR! And what about Sheffield? And we lose our best options to step up at WR with Rice, ARY, and Canion gone. Our entire depth chart at WR just left and you think we are better off? We have Dixon-Veal who had 142 yards and Tibbs who had 42 yards coming back…

We lost our top TE too, I know he wasn’t the same but he was the best we had. I know some will argue Klare has more upside but he’s coming off a bad injury.

On defense losing Scourton, Sydnor, Kpaka, and Brothers hurts our front 7 big time. The 3 guys we gained in the front 7 are not close to matching up with what we lost. Sillah has not been the same since his injury and has 15 tackles the past 2 seasons. CJ Madden has 3 tackles his first 2 years. And Dinkins never amounted to much at Kentucky. And the Ojata guy isn’t a big ten starting player. All depth pieces. Green has potential at DB but we will likely be counting on a lot of true freshmen to contribute.

I’d say we improved at one position group, OL which I know is important to you but I completely disagree we improved overall in the transfer portal. We lost our only 2 AP all big ten first or second team players and have not had anyone commit that is close to that level. Just roster plugs.
I wondered if the team suffered because we were giving seniority to older players rather than playing our youngsters earlier on in the season.

TE is a good example. Miller had not been the same since he went back in The rotation. We should have given Burhenn and Bieber more reps to see what we have in them.

WR. I am not quite sold on Dixon-Veal. But would have liked to have seen more of Tibbs. And we do not know what we have in Edrine. We brought in Brown to give us veteran presence.

I think Walters had to give his veterans a chance, especially Sheffield, but our younger guys might have been more productive given the chance.

Front 7, you give us a lot of stats. All I will say about the stats is that Scourton and Jenkins numbers were not the best in 2022. Once they were trained and put into the Walters scheme, their production jumped. I assume we can expect the same with the new comers. Madden, we do not know because he was not given a lot of opportunities at UGA.

Brothers took too much space. Yanni should have started much earlier.
All this to say we have a young team, no one to pull the seniority rank on anyone. Best players will play. Walters has shown, probably out of necessity, that he is not afraid to put a freshman in the starting rotation.

Our roster at WR is super thin.... If you think we were bad at that position last year just wait. We have in no way made up for our WR losses in the portal. It will be hard to run an Air Raid offense with no air.
I like our young guys. But they are young. We will need to add some veterans at WR.

Which is ironic about our WR depth and how it has changed, because it was during the Moore/Bell years that people kept saying that we had too many receivers. There was only 1 football to go around.

Which is ironic about our WR depth and how it has changed, because it was during the Moore/Bell years that people kept saying that we had too many receivers. There was only 1 football to go around.
Well, we did have too many, because Moore/Bell/Jones got 90% of targets anyway. Why have 12 WR when you're only throwing to your studs? Brohm also loved the TE.

I miss those days lol.

So....all of the guys who are untested and have no college experience at all. That will work well.
So…. You must have missed the news about the two 4* GA WR Transfers. along with our 4* UCLA WR transfer.
Think we are in good shape. And better loaded than the transfers we lost.

remind me again, was Burks a 4* recruit out of high school or 3*? Yeah. I think it will work out well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tommaker

Nostradamus of the year award. (He posted that in May...)

Last edited:
So…. You must have missed the news about the two 4* GA WR Transfers. along with our 4* UCLA WR transfer.
Think we are in good shape. And better loaded than the transfers we lost.

remind me again, was Burks a 4* recruit out of high school or 3*? Yeah. I think it will work out well.
Really comes down to this.

Are guys who couldn't get on the field for top ten programs better than guys who have started for Purdue?

I don't know the answer to this, but we shall see next fall.

Reactions: Heads up BOILER
bump.

I'll take the two guys with National Championship rings that just transfered in, thank you very much.
The CJs (Smith and Madden) are studs. Smith will probably be the fastest guy we’ve seen on the field here in WL. Madden is a good good football player but was edged out at UGa with guys with more athletic upside. That’s less of a big deal in the BIG than SEC. He’s a day 1 starter in one of the OLb spots for sure.

Green has major upside as a DB but more safety skills IMO than what we need (lock down corner). Still probably an upgrade over what we had last year at CB over probably anybody but Wilson. Morisette…I’m not that big of a fan of but still feel he can be at least a TJ Sheffield level of productive.

Encouraging signs…I’ll take 4, former top 300 guys from UGA every year, please.

College is about setting up your future. To get a better job and build a better life. Yes getting an education is important, but the primary purpose of college is for your future career.

Again, if a student was given a 500k research grant to change schools for a year or two, no one would be telling them not to take it and stay loyal to their original school.

Reactions: POTFHBTFU
I mean we were bad. I have no idea if we have made up for it, neither do you. I do know if we are going to make up for it, getting three former 4 star players from top schools transferring in is the only way it could happen.

What else do you propose? We lost one quality receiver. One. And that guy didn't exactly stuff the stat sheet. Wish we still had him, but he wasn't a number one receiver, he was a quality slot receiver.

It was and is a problem, the only two ways to fix it are via high school or transfer. The latter much more likely to be an immediate improvement.

The CJs (Smith and Madden) are studs. Smith will probably be the fastest guy we’ve seen on the field here in WL. Madden is a good good football player but was edged out at UGa with guys with more athletic upside. That’s less of a big deal in the BIG than SEC. He’s a day 1 starter in one of the OLb spots for sure.

Green has major upside as a DB but more safety skills IMO than what we need (lock down corner). Still probably an upgrade over what we had last year at CB over probably anybody but Wilson. Morisette…I’m not that big of a fan of but still feel he can be at least a TJ Sheffield level of productive.

Encouraging signs…I’ll take 4, former top 300 guys from UGA every year, please.
Georgia would beat us by 85. Considering what Auburn and LSU have already done. I still remember Burks being carted off because he tried to catch a pass over their backup DB. It was incomplete.

These guys didn't start or even play for the National Champs, but who on our roster would have? This is a chance for them to showcase what they can do - they should be motivated at the end of their eligibility.

Besides its much more important that we can have good OL play with the influx of transfers and recruits, and faster decision making by Card like near the end of the season.

If we still can't score points, I say we ditch Harrell and go get Coach Shep back from UW. Make him full time OC/AHC.

Reactions: cillerdo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT