ADVERTISEMENT

is it just me

Did they play?
Who on our roster would have played for UGA?

If CFB is now a business and we talk about market value of a player, then we can talk about underutilized talent. Sometimes a talented employee doesn't get the opportunities to succeed at his current employer, so he looks for a new employer that can put him in positions to have success for himself and the employer. Win win for all. I've been that employee, and I've hired employees like that before.

The same can be true for CFB. Best case scenario, they tear it up and we win plenty. Worst case, they suck and we need a new OC. But I will say with confidence, that they can't be any worse than Burks/Yaseen/Sheffield/Rice/Canion/Deville etc produced last year.

The drop to 85 schollies was made to prevent teams from loading up on ALL of the talent and letting a lot of it ride pine just so Team X couldn't have it and use it against them. NIL and the portal certainly alter that dynamic.

We’ve never beaten Alabama or Ohio State consistently for HS recruits, and likely never will.

My only concern has been getting star underclassmen poached off our roster. Like say if Caraway has 10 sacks this year… think A & M won’t make him a huge offer to come home ?
And then, it happened!

So…. You must have missed the news about the two 4* GA WR Transfers. along with our 4* UCLA WR transfer.
Think we are in good shape. And better loaded than the transfers we lost.

remind me again, was Burks a 4* recruit out of high school or 3*? Yeah. I think it will work out well.
Those "4 stars" from GA had a collective 6 catches and 275 yards last year. Keep drinking the Koolaid......

I mean we were bad. I have no idea if we have made up for it, neither do you. I do know if we are going to make up for it, getting three former 4 star players from top schools transferring in is the only way it could happen.

What else do you propose? We lost one quality receiver. One. And that guy didn't exactly stuff the stat sheet. Wish we still had him, but he wasn't a number one receiver, he was a quality slot receiver.

It was and is a problem, the only two ways to fix it are via high school or transfer. The latter much more likely to be an immediate improvement.
Have you given any thought to the possibility that the problem was the system NOT the players?

Somebody at Oklahoma thought one of our receivers was good enough to offer them a scholarship after watching them play a couple of years of college football.

Reactions: cillerdo
Every one of those guys was in a brilliant system prior to this year. Sheffield the only one who did anything at all and he was just ok. We’re not going to be worse at WR.
I agree , with Card getting a lot of experience this year, and I figure the O Line should be improved, Card should have more time to hit the open receivers and/or make good throws, this has to help the receivers

I’ll stand by my original statement regardless of how some may have interpreted it. It appears to me that what we have brought in via recruiting and the portal is better than what we lost.

I’ll ask one question, what year was Moore’s best season? How much experience he have? Did he get better? Just because we lost some experienced receivers doesn’t mean the new ones we acquired are not better.

What was Wright’s best year? Oh, that’s right, he left school before what was going to be his greatest year.

What was Bell’s best year? He seemed to be pretty good those first couple of years.

Looking at the players that left this year, how many victories did their awesome skills create? Was Berry at the same level as Harrison? Or was he just Card’s go to guy because we had nobody else?

One last question, if you go back a couple of years. Who would you have been more excited about signing with Purdue? The three transfer receivers we just signed? Or the three receivers who just left. My guess is you would have preferred the three guys we just signed.

I believe I said withe exception of scrouton I believe what Walters has brought in via the portal and recruiting are better than what Brohm signed and played for us the last two years.

As I look at it, Card had to throw to somebody last year. Stats become inflated when you’re the only dependable receiver. Look at the Packers last year. Watson looked good primarily because Rodgers lost total confidence in his other receivers. Watson is an ok receiver but by no means is he a future all pro as many fans predicted.

I’ll go back to Moore. He started as a freshman with zero experience. Who is to say Smith can’t do the same?

The "system" takes a while to institute. Plus we had to recruit a starting quarterback since we had NONE on the roster when Walters took over

Every one of those guys was in a brilliant system prior to this year. Sheffield the only one who did anything at all and he was just ok. We’re not going to be worse at WR.
Was Sheffield ok this year? Most say he was not. That points to a system issue if he was ok previously as you claim. Having all of your starting WR's go to the portal points to a system/ coaching issue. Bringing in 4 stars who rode the bench elsewhere may fix the issue but the data points to more of the same in my opinion.

Reactions: Bippus33
Was Sheffield ok this year? Most say he was not. That points to a system issue if he was ok previously as you claim. Having all of your starting WR's go to the portal points to a system/ coaching issue. Bringing in 4 stars who rode the bench elsewhere may fix the issue but the data points to more of the same in my opinion.
Sheffield was Sheffield this year, so yes. Other than losing snaps late and then quitting before the bucket game, he was the same guy we saw for three years prior.

I wasn’t really impressed with our passing game last year. Was it the coach’s fault and system or was it our players’s fault? Well all the players left and were replaced with players having higher ratings. If our passing game is as bad this year as it was last year, then you can blame the coaches and system. If it is improved, then obviously it was the players that left who were the problem.

I really wasn’t impressed with any of our receivers last year or the those receivers the year before. Sheffield never lived up to hype fans here created. The other transfer guy never lived up to his hype either.

Moore was a 3 star receiver when he came to Purdue. The guys playing last year were not close to what he accomplished. And the vast majority of what he did came after the catch. Just imagine if Moore was 6’3.

Have you given any thought to the possibility that the problem was the system NOT the players?
The players were either players who did nothing in the prior system or very little or transfers who did little in prior systems so I'm gonna lean towards the players until more evidence comes forward otherwise.

Sheffield was about the same, a role player. His QB was inferior to what he had before certainly and no one is claiming Walters knows offense as well as the prior guy, but Sheffield wasn't a great player then either.

Your blanket statement doesn't suggest much critical thought to me. One went to a better program for I'm gonna guess more money. And your data set is one season, so pretending you're just following the data with a tiny sample size isn't persuasive either.

If the next two years see similar performance then yeah the data would point to the coaching.

Added another 4 star from Colorado at CB.
Some of these players aren't going to pan out, but the sheer volume of 4 stars portal players we are getting should have at least some of them being an improvement.

Sheffield was about the same, a role player. His QB was inferior to what he had before certainly and no one is claiming Walters knows offense as well as the prior guy, but Sheffield wasn't a great player then either.

Your blanket statement doesn't suggest much critical thought to me. One went to a better program for I'm gonna guess more money. And your data set is one season, so pretending you're just following the data with a tiny sample size isn't persuasive either.

If the next two years see similar performance then yeah the data would point to the coaching.
First there are twelve full games of data that point to low offensive production? Some of that can be attributed to players but a significant portion can be attributed to the offensive coordinator for poor play calling AND the lack of creativity to put players into position to make plays. With soo many players leaving I also think that there is evidence that would lead me to suspect that the WR room is poison. Is that a coaching issue? It could be. Without being in that room or players talking publicly we will never know. What I also know is that the three top WR transfers (our three starters) transferred to Oklahoma, Michigan State, and The University of South Florida. Other coaches must think that they are at a minimum serviceable.

Between the two GA WR's they had 6 catches and total 275 yards last season. Those are not impressive numbers and in no way make me excited about our WR corps. If they were really 4 star receivers then they would have had more opportunities than that. In contrast Brohm knew that Moore was better than a three star player and had speed that put him in an elite category. Moore was mis-rated and easily should have been a 4 star receiver. The two GA WR's were also likely mis-rated,.....just in the opposite direction. I hope they are better but with the same QB and the same offensive coordinator I don't have much hope.

BTW If we are going to wait two more seasons to decide the competence level of the coaching staff we are in trouble.

First there are twelve full games of data that point to low offensive production? Some of that can be attributed to players but a significant portion can be attributed to the offensive coordinator for poor play calling AND the lack of creativity to put players into position to make plays. With soo many players leaving I also think that there is evidence that would lead me to suspect that the WR room is poison. Is that a coaching issue? It could be. Without being in that room or players talking publicly we will never know. What I also know is that the three top WR transfers (our three starters) transferred to Oklahoma, Michigan State, and The University of South Florida. Other coaches must think that they are at a minimum serviceable.

Between the two GA WR's they had 6 catches and total 275 yards last season. Those are not impressive numbers and in no way make me excited about our WR corps. If they were really 4 star receivers then they would have had more opportunities than that. In contrast Brohm knew that Moore was better than a three star player and had speed that put him in an elite category. Moore was mis-rated and easily should have been a 4 star receiver. The two GA WR's were also likely mis-rated,.....just in the opposite direction. I hope they are better but with the same QB and the same offensive coordinator I don't have much hope.

BTW If we are going to wait two more seasons to decide the competence level of the coaching staff we are in trouble.
Yeah Brohm really found a diamond in the rough with Moore. He knew what no one else knew. It’s not like Moore was committed to Texas at one time or could have gone to Alabama or anything like that.

Reactions: pboiler18

Lol if we took 12 games as a suitable data set then why didn't we fire Brohm after four seasons when he had a losing record at that time? It's probably good we gave him more time. The idea that 12 games is a sufficient sample size is patently stupid. The number of examples of coaches and players starting off slow and then improving is astronomical. Brohm was a .500 coach his first two seasons here and then sub .500 his next two.
It took him his entire time here to produce a team that flirted with 10 wins and even then that team lost games it shouldn't and backed it's way to the title game in a weak division and ultimately got blown out.

Apparently the coaching staff did well enough with those three WRs that as you say other school's wanted them. It's not like other than one of them they did anything the year before.

What's the poison not poison cutoff for receivers lost? Do we consider that they were while here? Do we consider that some of them only have one season left? Or do we just count numbers and declare "poison?"

Players leave for individual reasons. More money, more playing time, a chance at a bowl game, coaching, and other reasons. But you've made your mind up so this is all a waste of time.

The rest of us will just do what normal people do, give things time to figure out what they are or aren't instead of deciding right away based on a small sample size.

If your “system” requires inheriting a starting quarterback and can’t be executed by first year players, you need to scrap it and find a new one.
First year players rarely execute any system particularly well except for the cream of the crop in football. This isn't basketball.

So you are now an expert with the UGA roster? Maybe the GA WR did not get playing time because of seniority and a WR room full of other 4*s. whatever the reasons, they did not start. 275 yards, btw is not an accurate number If you had read my post correctly.

and yes, you do not know what happened in the WR room. or maybe you were one of the WRs told to move on and you are bitter about it.… do tell.

good luck to Yaseem, Burks and Sheffield. but they were 3 slot receivers trying to fit into this Air Raid scheme. They were not the right fit.

are you going to btch all off season? Maybe you should root for a different team then.

Reactions: Heads up BOILER
facts are sheffield wasn't really that great before Walters arrived. he was going to be that next great receiver and he never was. it's the same for that other transfer receiver. we had high expectations for him, and he wasn't great or awesome this past year or the year before.

I'm not saying we should give a coach 2 years to prove his worth. I believe he's already proved his worth at other schools before he came to Purdue. I'm saying i want to see what Sheffield does elsewhere before I say he was a great receiver. and the same for Yasean.

you say moore's rating was too low because of his accomplishments at Purdue. You sure didn't say his rating was too low when he first arrived. I don't recall anybody on this board saying that Moore should have been a 4 star receiver coming out of high school. He excelled at Purdue, not before it. it's like people keep saying the rating system was wrong if the player goes elsewhere or he is bad at Purdue. what rating should we give that QB who was a 4/5 star rated qb couldn't beat out Card , so he went elsewhere? What rating should we give Plummer? how many more players are we going to change? the rating a player received is based on their high school accomplishments. Look at EDEY. His rating was based on his high school accomplishments it wasn't too low or too high. it was what it was. Unlike some players, Edey has improved. that doesn't mean his high school rating was wrong. all it means is that is how well the player performed in high school.

Looking at the two receivers transferring from Georgia, they are not currently 4 star receivers. they WERE 4 star receivers when they signed with Georgia. we don't really know if they improved or digressed by using their rating from 2 years ago.

look at the typical purdue lineman that redshirted. the hope is that they are better because they redshirted rather than being worse. nobody believes a lineman that redshirts will digress and be worse. if that is the case, then why bother redshirting if a player is going to digress and be worse.

the only facts we have is a bunch of Purdue receivers all left. there are people here who know why they all left. they just don't want to be forthcoming. maybe it was the system. maybe it was Card. maybe it was the money. maybe it was the coach. maybe the coach encouraged them to leave. we don't really know why they left.

we also know sheffield wanted to make a statement announcing his portal decision before the iu game. he could have waited. the guys from georgia and alabama waited until after their bowl game. sheffield couldn't even finish the season. to me, that's a huge red flag. why did he feel it was so important to skip out on the last game? to me, he quit on the team and the coaching staff. the question i don't know is why?

Looking back, we've had freshmen, juco transfers, and portal transfers all excell at Purdue in their first year when little was expected. The two from Iowa turned out to be pretty good. were they good because of brohm? or AOC ? I don't know. I'm willing to give walters and these new receivers a chance. if our offense is worse next year, then it will be obvious where the problem is.

let's just say my expectations for Sheffield are rather low he could have declared for the NFL draft, but he didn't.

First year players rarely execute any system particularly well except for the cream of the crop in football. This isn't basketball.
the guy who transferred over from Iowa did pretty good in a new system last year. Do you consider him the cream of the crop? I thought he was good. I sure didn't think he was the cream of the crop. I thought he exceeded expectations.

the guy who transferred over from Iowa did pretty good in a new system last year. Do you consider him the cream of the crop? I thought he was good. I sure didn't think he was the cream of the crop. I thought he exceeded expectations.
I consider him a rare example and since he's currently in the NFL yeah he was probably cream of the crop too.

There's also the fact he'd been catching passes from the QB since before both of them had their voices change.

Transfer from Iowa, are talking about Tracy or Jones? If you are talking about Tracy, he went to the position he always should have been, a running back. Ferentz tried to convert him to WR. And Brohm tried to use him the same. Tracy was not utilized well by Brohm. He had a prior relationship with Coach Conrad. He bulked up to 200 lbs and found success as a running back this year.

Tracy and Mockabee had a good season, but it was also because Harrell had to rely on his RBs because the WRs were not producing. What we saw last year was not a Harrell Air Raid offense. It was an offense that could not trust their receivers and forced to utilize their running backs due to personnel limitations.

As you said, Walters is bringing in his receivers now designed to fit into this Air Raid scheme. Let’s see how this season goes. Your are free to be skeptical. You are free to be excited.

The coaches hustled this off season with recruits and transfers. Let’s see how they put the puzzle together.

Reactions: wallyboiler79
I consider him a rare example and since he's currently in the NFL yeah he was probably cream of the crop too.

There's also the fact he'd been catching passes from the QB since before both of them had their voices change.
Yes. If you were referring to C Jones, I credit that to the rapport with AOC. They were doing a lot of extra reps during the off season outside of team. i give credit C Jones success more to AOC than the scheme.

You didn't post this? That implies "first year" players. You didn't mean freshmen?
No… it means exactly what it says. Need me to type it again?

There are a ton of players that performed well in their first year at their current school.

That means: any player who wasn’t at the same school the year before.

Reactions: pboiler18
No… it means exactly what it says. Need me to type it again?

There are a ton of players that performed well in their first year at their current school.

That means: any player who wasn’t at the same school the year before.
Yes type it again and maybe it will make some sense. Just saying "first year" players implies freshmen. Now that you have explained it your previously idiotic post makes some sense. Thank you for clarifying it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT