ADVERTISEMENT

Iran’s Response

If forceable regime change in Iran is a stated foreign policy of this administration, I think that is a grave mistake.
John Bolton is not in the Trump administration anymore so I highly doubt that Bolton’s opinion is aligned with the administration’s.

tucker carlson/fox news:

"From Iran's perspective, we're already there. If Iranian forces killed the chairman of our joint chiefs of staff, for example, would you consider it an act of war?

Is Iran really the greatest threat we face? And who's actually benefiting from this? And why are we continuing to ignore the decline of our own country in favor of jumping into another quagmire from which there is no obvious exit? If we're still in Afghanistan 19 years later, what makes us think there's a quick way out of Iran?

Before we enter into a single new war, there's a criterion that ought to be met: Our leaders should be required to explain how that conflict will make the United States richer and more secure.

There are an awful lot of bad people in this world. We can't kill them all, it's not our job. Instead our government exists to defend and promote the interests of our American citizens… So has the killing of Soleimani done that? Maybe. No one in Washington has explained how.

In every single place, each of these conflicts has turned out to be longer, bloodier, and more expensive than we were promised in the first place. The benefits? Often they've been non-existent."
I think it’s a stretch to say that this strike will initiate a war with Iran.

Good question. Only time will tell. With the Iranians, it seems like they only respect power and displays of strength.
I’d agree, but this doesn’t seem productive in garnering “respect.” I don’t really care what Iran says and thinks. I care what they do. This is almost certainly going to provoke them into further violence. I don’t think that should be the aim.

I’d agree, but this doesn’t seem productive in garnering “respect.” I don’t really care what Iran says and thinks. I care what they do. This is almost certainly going to provoke them into further violence. I don’t think that should be the aim.
What they done for years is act like a rogue state and have become the largest state sponsor of terror on the planet under the Ayatollah's. They are in cahoots with the Houthi rebels, Hamas, Hezbollah, Assad in Syria, Russia, China, North Korea.

This General was the supposed mastermind of their terroristic activities and he was responsible for teaching Sadr and company (local Iraqi Shia militias) how to make those deadly explosive devices which killed 600+ US soldiers and maimed thousands more.

The Iranian regime is already resorting to violence - that's what they do, along with their proxies.

Or maybe, it just might convince them to come to the table and negotiate a real deal, beneficial to both sides.

What they done for years is act like a rogue state and have become the largest state sponsor of terror on the planet under the Ayatollah's. They are in cahoots with the Houthi rebels, Hamas, Hezbollah, Assad in Syria, Russia, China, North Korea.

This General was the supposed mastermind of their terroristic activities and he was responsible for teaching Sadr and company (local Iraqi Shia militias) how to make those deadly explosive devices which killed 600+ US soldiers and maimed thousands more.

The Iranian regime is already resorting to violence - that's what they do, along with their proxies.
I’m aware of all of that. Did you forget how many times I’ve been in the Gulf, staring at armed Iranians for days and weeks at a time?

My question is: how does assassinating this guy stop any of it?

The thing none of you can definitively come up with is an answer to the only question I want to know: When you consider consequences here, how did this make the US safer or benefit us in any way?

I am interested in that, and all I’ve seen is justification. I’ve not argued that he’s bad and probably deserved to die. My problem is that I don’t see this as something that needed to be done or benefits the United States in any measurable way.

Previous admins.......and this one up until now........have calculated the cost of killing the General outweighed the benefit. The math obviously changed within this admin for some reason. The argument that the assassination was defensive in nature, that it was to prevent an attack on Americans, seems hollow when the plans haven't been disrupted as far as we know........just the man who planned them or was in charge of the. It's just next man up for the Iranians.
This is a simplistic response to a complex problem.......and quite possibly yet another trump reactionary act with no regard to the consequences. Just kill the mother and all is well.

since like 2007! get a grip
Ah yes, under the Bush regime. The same Bush family that has financial interest in supporting the Saudi royals and got us into two wars in Iraq because of it... where this Iranian trained people to bomb and kill those 600+ soldiers we talked about. But yeah, the problem was this guy, not our foreign policy or involvement in the Middle East throughout the last forty or fifty years.

I understand that there is a segment of this board that will blindly support anything Trump determines is best for this country. I am not in that segment. You guys can throw crap at the wall all you want, question my loyalty, tell me it's good that I retired, etc. and all that tells me is that none of you can provide an actual defense for this action and how it benefits the United States. Your arguments boil down to, "Well, he started it."

Except he didn't.

Ah yes, under the Bush regime. The same Bush family that has financial interest in supporting the Saudi royals and got us into two wars in Iraq because of it... where this Iranian trained people to bomb and kill those 600+ soldiers we talked about. But yeah, the problem was this guy, not our foreign policy or involvement in the Middle East throughout the last forty or fifty years.

I understand that there is a segment of this board that will blindly support anything Trump determines is best for this country. I am not in that segment. You guys can throw crap at the wall all you want, question my loyalty, tell me it's good that I retired, etc. and all that tells me is that none of you can provide an actual defense for this action and how it benefits the United States. Your arguments boil down to, "Well, he started it."

Except he didn't.
boo hoo i stuck to the facts. my argument is he orchestrated attacks on our troops and embassy. he had it coming. you wont find a positive post from me ever towards the ayatollah. no narrative and pretrump, thanks.

I think it’s a stretch to say that this strike will initiate a war with Iran.
Full-scale war ? Unlikely. Meaningful loss of life/assets involving US military personnel and others, plus
area allies' loss of life ?? Seems somewhat likely.
This assassination's upside can't be evaluated in just its 1st 72 hours.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
Previous admins.......and this one up until now........have calculated the cost of killing the General outweighed the benefit. The math obviously changed within this admin for some reason. The argument that the assassination was defensive in nature, that it was to prevent an attack on Americans, seems hollow when the plans haven't been disrupted as far as we know........just the man who planned them or was in charge of the. It's just next man up for the Iranians.
This is a simplistic response to a complex problem.......and quite possibly yet another trump reactionary act with no regard to the consequences. Just kill the mother and all is well.
Proof that those calculations were done Bob. As most on here would tell you, until he discovered those virgins, not many had ever heard of him. Had this been Obama, ya'll would be drinking a toast of your best malt.

Except he didn't.
Yo know....I'd support anyone who eradicates dick heads like this guy. EVEN Obama...but we know he would never do such a thing.

Proof that those calculations were done Bob. As most on here would tell you, until he discovered those virgins, not many had ever heard of him. Had this been Obama, ya'll would be drinking a toast of your best malt.
Obama would think about decisions and weigh the consequences, Trump is mentally ill and celebrates his ignorance.

Full-scale war ? Unlikely. Meaningful loss of life/assets involving US military personnel and others, plus
The real question is, how far does Iran want to push the issue.

Not all Iranians love the guy, and there is that segment in Iran that would love to overthrow the current government and have freedom.

Lol. Because all you national security experts haven't heard of him means he hasn't been on the radar for a long time.
Proof? Read what national security experts are saying instead of relying on trump tweets for your information.
I'm afraid we're going to deal with the effects of this for some time.

Yeah, sure. That's why Obama bowed to a foreign leader.
Fool. Obama "bowed" to a foreign leader as a result of centuries-old protocols involving greeting a certain country's leader.
You might recall George W. Bush WALKING HAND IN HAND WITH A SAUDI KING, through a garden area, on a trip to that Region. Tradition. Protocol. Don't worry....there'll always be someone around to give truth to your various Obama misconceptions/mistruths......
Count on it.

Well Dub....Iran has been responsible for the loss of many US (and other) lives as the world's largest terrorist organization. And according to all reports, before suffering separation anxiety, this peace loving General was plotting another killing of American's. According to our intel, which is usually pretty damned good. Bring it on

Lol. Because all you national security experts haven't heard of him means he hasn't been on the radar for a long time.
Proof? Read what national security experts are saying instead of relying on trump tweets for your information.
I'm afraid we're going to deal with the effects of this for some time.
We've been dealing with this for a long time already in case you haven't heard. Personally, I'm glad it was a direct hit.

Well Dub....Iran has been responsible for the loss of many US (and other) lives as the world's largest terrorist organization. And according to all reports, before suffering separation anxiety, this peace loving General was plotting another killing of American's. According to our intel, which is usually pretty damned good. Bring it on
There are other ways to prevent attacks, and someone is always plotting to attack US interests abroad. We will never kill all of them. But every time we do, we create a host of others who fill the void, and we further their narrative that we kill Muslims in their home territory for sport and at our whim. And now the government we put in place in Iraq has voted to expel our troops.

This was an ill-conceived operation. We should get out of that part of the world, and let them sort out their place in the world as oil becomes less and less relevant over time. Our involvement there has enriched some of our own politicians, but it has not made us more secure nor more prosperous in the last twenty years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT