ADVERTISEMENT

Interior Defense is a concern without Zach

Painter literally built this team around Zach. Everything went through Zach. I enjoyed it for two years and wouldn’t change it. But next year is going to be a completely different style. Purdue is full of athletic underclassmen that are going to run and gun. It’s going to be an all new kind of fun game to watch. And as much as I like players like Furst and Berg, I don’t see them getting much PT.
Completely agree with the first part of your post. The question, IMO, for Caleb and Will is how well they can fit in on offense with Trey and Braden. Trey is going to be the low post scoring option but probably lacks the explosiveness to be an elite PNR guy. If Will or Caleb can either feed the post and hit from the outside or execute the PNR with Braden at a high level they'll see plenty of PT. If not the door is wide open for the younger guys.

Completely agree with the first part of your post. The question, IMO, for Caleb and Will is how well they can fit in on offense with Trey and Braden. Trey is going to be the low post scoring option but probably lacks the explosiveness to be an elite PNR guy. If Will or Caleb can either feed the post and hit from the outside or execute the PNR with Braden at a high level they'll see plenty of PT. If not the door is wide open for the younger guys.
Caleb maybe. He can hit the three and is actually explosive. I love those guys as people too. Great teammates. But they need more confidence and consistency. If the freshman are as advertised it will be hard to keep them off the floor, assuming they play defense. Quite happy to be proven wrong by them.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Caleb maybe. He can hit the three and is actually explosive. I love those guys as people too. Great teammates. But they need more confidence and consistency. If the freshman are as advertised it will be hard to keep them off the floor, assuming they play defense. Quite happy to be proven wrong by them.
If you've seen me post much here you know I'm hesitant to assume that any freshman is going to come in and play a huge role right away unless there's an obvious roster gap and there's no other option. There are certainly exceptions but it's generally just not a realistic expectation. I'm with you though, if Catchings or one of the bigs comes in and kills it from day one that's great news for the program.

We'll probably have an idea sooner rather than later. When guys like Carsen, Jaden and Zach came in they made an immediate impression in summer practices.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Painter literally built this team around Zach. Everything went through Zach. I enjoyed it for two years and wouldn’t change it. But next year is going to be a completely different style. Purdue is full of athletic underclassmen that are going to run and gun. It’s going to be an all new kind of fun game to watch. And as much as I like players like Furst and Berg, I don’t see them getting much PT.

That is what is great about Paint. He'll take the players he has and figure out how to win.

You are correct as it's been proven time and again that being consistently wrong doesn't prevent people here from posting obnoxiously aggressive hot takes.
Yeah and I’m not interested in embarrassing some good posters that made a mistake. All I recall was his workout tape. I mentioned that he moved well, appears to have a shooting touch and tries to dunk everything, but his dribble was way too high. I thought he could become good, but nothing like he accomplished. Wasn’t a huge fan of Dickinson, but was of Kalkbrenner

If you've seen me post much here you know I'm hesitant to assume that any freshman is going to come in and play a huge role right away unless there's an obvious roster gap and there's no other option. There are certainly exceptions but it's generally just not a realistic expectation. I'm with you though, if Catchings or one of the bigs comes in and kills it from day one that's great news for the program.

We'll probably have an idea sooner rather than later. When guys like Carsen, Jaden and Zach came in they made an immediate impression in summer practices.
If Kanon is okay on D, he provides a lot on O and Braden will have fun with him in a push and a secondary break.I thought he was 6’8” and now see 6’6”. I’ve said this a lot, but saw how good he was when everything was clicking and another game where he was just good, but you could see in both games the potential. I like him and like him more if 6’8” 😊

If Kanon is okay on D, he provides a lot on O and Braden will have fun with him in a push and a secondary break.I thought he was 6’8” and now see 6’6”. I’ve said this a lot, but saw how good he was when everything was clicking and another game where he was just good, but you could see in both games the potential. I like him and like him more if 6’8” 😊
247 lists him at 6’8”, on3 at 6’9”, Overtime Elite at 6’9” and rivals at 6’6” and saw a video where he states he’s 6’8”… rivals appears to be the outlier.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Berg down in the pain blocking shots. He seems pretty athletic at his size. Purdue knows how to build bigs too. I'm not worried. At least not at first. Give it a few weeks and my mind might change one way or the other.

Yeah and I’m not interested in embarrassing some good posters that made a mistake. All I recall was his workout tape. I mentioned that he moved well, appears to have a shooting touch and tries to dunk everything, but his dribble was way too high. I thought he could become good, but nothing like he accomplished. Wasn’t a huge fan of Dickinson, but was of Kalkbrenner
I don't think anyone should be embarrassed by being wrong, I'm wrong all the time and generally admit it eventually ;) It's the hyperbole and then never owning up to it that I could do without.

247 lists him at 6’8”, on3 at 6’9”, Overtime Elite at 6’9” and rivals at 6’6” and saw a video where he states he’s 6’8”… rivals appears to be the outlier.
Yeah, I don't know if he's a legit 6'9" but I'm pretty sure he's taller than 6'6". I don't know if anyone here has been down to see him this year but the guy on the other site mentioned that he's easily grown an inch or two and put on some good weight since going to OTE.

I don't think anyone should be embarrassed by being wrong, I'm wrong all the time and generally admit it eventually ;) It's the hyperbole and then never owning up to it that I could do without.
There exists hyperbole which I get and there also exists confusion on things since not everyone has the same understandings on things outside of Zach. Relative to "Zach", yeah no one should be embarrassed by being wrong and anything short of NPOY twice is wrong. ;)

Is that true Wol? I don't recall Zach being part of Canada's international team prior to the 2021 U19 team. I also don't recall hearing that MP first saw Zach at an international tournament. Not saying it didn't happen, I just haven't seen that anywhere else.
YEP - that is the true history

There exists hyperbole which I get and there also exists confusion on things since not everyone has the same understandings on things outside of Zach. Relative to "Zach", yeah no one should be embarrassed by being wrong and anything short of NPOY twice is wrong. ;)
I completely agree that not everyone has the same understanding on many subjects. Everyone is welcome to their own opinion and if they're wrong that's fine, that's what these boards are for. It's the absolutism, whether due to trolling or stupidity, that drives me crazy. Saying you can't win with a traditional center, Painter will never win in the tournament, it's 'obvious' that xyz, everyone can see that ABC and then never admitting it when they're wrong.

As I mentioned in the post earlier in the week, that's a 'me' issue, I'm the one that let's raging idiots drive me nuts.

• Haha
Reactions: tjreese
I completely agree that not everyone has the same understanding on many subjects. Everyone is welcome to their own opinion and if they're wrong that's fine, that's what these boards are for. It's the absolutism, whether due to trolling or stupidity, that drives me crazy. Saying you can't win with a traditional center, Painter will never win in the tournament, it's 'obvious' that xyz, everyone can see that ABC and then never admitting it when they're wrong.

As I mentioned in the post earlier in the week, that's a 'me' issue, I'm the one that let's raging idiots drive me nuts.
As long as that drive is not just out of the driveway...you are fine. ;) I understand the forum part...it is the rest of life that makes me question if we are the smartest in the animal kingdom at times...and I mean all facets. It is hard to find many competent in a lot of areas of their job. I'm unsure if everyone is too busy or what, but there a are a lot of people that can't answer questions...Not my problem I probably only have a few years... ;)

As long as that drive is not just out of the driveway...you are fine. ;) I understand the forum part...it is the rest of life that makes me question if we are the smartest in the animal kingdom at times...and I mean all facets. It is hard to find many competent in a lot of areas of their job. I'm unsure if everyone is too busy or what, but there a are a lot of people that can't answer questions...Not my problem I probably only have a few years... ;)
Depends upon who you ask, but the drive is probably shorter than I'd like to admit 😂

• Haha
Reactions: tjreese

Lol let it go dude. I have no idea if any of those things are supposed to apply to me since I've never said you can't win with a traditional center, or Painter will never win in the tournament. I have no idea what XYZ is supposed to be but I'm sure you're being hyperbolic about that too.

But I find irony about someone complaining about other people and absolute opinions while you run around calling people raging idiots.

Why don't you spend more time just discussing basketball instead of keeping some list of who you think was wrong about some thing from four years ago and how they should repent for their wrongness.

I see Berg playing on perimeter playing the high post and TKR playing the 5 or low post. Possibility of 5 out and TKR facing up then backing down his man. Anticipate more off ball screening. If Furst has to play the 5 on defense Purdue won't finish higher than 3rd in conference unless Paint goes back to hedging ball screens and denying ball reversal.

Good thing for Purdue, there really aren't any post scorers that play the 5 in the Big Ten next season. Xavier Booker is more of a shooter for Michigan State. Ballo is more of just an offensive rebounder and catching lobs type. Okpala is really the same as Ballo. Maryland will have Queen and Reese. Best low post scorer in the conference will probably be Malik Reneau and he plays the 4.
Don't be surprised if TKR is the best low post scorer as there is not a Clingan or Ware in the conference. There aren't a lot of 4's that can match up with him. If someone like Ballo guards him TKR should face him up and put him in the spin cycle. Ballo will be in Reneaus way and it will shrink the space in the paint. IU only consistent shooter will be Taco Bell. MR can only go left, unless they get a shooter in portal they won't be as good as last year. Ware was twice the player Ballo is because he could switch and stay in front as was long and sthletic enough to block shots outside the lane. Ballo blocks shots at rim. Not quick enough to switch. Ballo also under 50 percent free throw shooter so can't play him at end of games.

Good thing for Purdue, there really aren't any post scorers that play the 5 in the Big Ten next season. Xavier Booker is more of a shooter for Michigan State. Ballo is more of just an offensive rebounder and catching lobs type. Okpala is really the same as Ballo. Maryland will have Queen and Reese. Best low post scorer in the conference will probably be Malik Reneau and he plays the 4.
Which is why TKR will be just fine at the 5. With the added benefit of not necessarily having to play drop coverage on defense.

A different makeup of starters may bring a different type of Defense in 2024-25. Could see a lot of man and zone full court pressing to take the game to the tempo we want next season. Once the pieces are all in West Lafayette this summer I am positive the type of D we play will shake itself out rather quickly!

Lol let it go dude. I have no idea if any of those things are supposed to apply to me since I've never said you can't win with a traditional center, or Painter will never win in the tournament. I have no idea what XYZ is supposed to be but I'm sure you're being hyperbolic about that too.

But I find irony about someone complaining about other people and absolute opinions while you run around calling people raging idiots.

Why don't you spend more time just discussing basketball instead of keeping some list of who you think was wrong about some thing from four years ago and how they should repent for their wrongness.
Sir, this is an Arby's. I've seen some of your posts but I don't know who you are and I certainly wasn't talking specifically about you. There are some raging idiots on this board and I argue with a lot of people here (some of whom are very intelligent and just have different views than me). I don't track who those posters are and I have no idea whether this applies to you or not.

A different makeup of starters may bring a different type of Defense in 2024-25. Could see a lot of man and zone full court pressing to take the game to the tempo we want next season. Once the pieces are all in West Lafayette this summer I am positive the type of D we play will shake itself out rather quickly!
I don't think full court pressing is a fundamental belief Matt holds. Could be wrong, but think he shares the same thoughts as Knight and Gene held on where he wants his D

Reactions: northside100
Sir, this is an Arby's. I've seen some of your posts but I don't know who you are and I certainly wasn't talking specifically about you. There are some raging idiots on this board and I argue with a lot of people here (some of whom are very intelligent and just have different views than me). I don't track who those posters are and I have no idea whether this applies to you or not.
Riiight. As you literally quote a post to me. Cool story. You're a weird one bud.

• Haha
Reactions: northside100
Riiight. As you literally quote a post to me. Cool story. You're a weird one bud.
Thank you for the clarification. I don't know where I quoted a post to you (and don't care) but if I did that probably answers the question. Please stop stalking me.

Huh? I never remotely said that and I don't remember many other people who did either.

Again, if someone thinks person A starts over B, that's not putting B down.

By your logic, why aren't you building up TKR to start at the 5? This whole if you don't think someone starts it's a personal attack thing is so weird.
The kind of nonsense he is talking about was said 4 years ago. Some have had to eat crow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT