ADVERTISEMENT

If Swanigan doesn't go Purdue that is just utterly preposterous

Ha, academic pissing match, this could get interesting.

Sounds like both schools play this card, especially when we lose out on recruits to the UKs of the world.

Bottom line, Swanigan will get a great education at either school, if that really matters to him.

But since we're posting links....

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2014/reputation-ranking

http://www.shanghairanking.com/ARWU2014.html

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2012/mar/15/top-100-universities-times-higher-education

This thread has become a joke. The academic ranking posts are a ginormous waste of time, particularly when accompanied by verbal chest beating. ("Hey dude, my dick's bigger than yours.") Sigh...

This thread has become a joke. The academic ranking posts are a ginormous waste of time, particularly when accompanied by verbal chest beating. ("Hey dude, my dick's bigger than yours.") Sigh...
I haven't read thru every post but this is the best one I've seen.

Both are great academic schools. Both have specific disciplines they are known for. IF Swanigan wanted to stay four years and get a degree, diplomas from both schools would serve him very well. How well is dependent upon a variety of factors, most notably major and geography. Overall, I'd say Cal is a better school but that's like saying that Mercedes is better than Lexus. Both are great cars and it comes down to what you are looking for.

All that said, Swanigan has no intention of staying four years so this discussion is pretty meaningless in this circumstance.

It's not the meat, it's the motion, at least I've been told by those who know. Hopefully I don't start a debate on the subject. Maybe there's some website links that we can post:)

Krispy Kreme makes a nice donut, better than 80% of the donut shops on earth, but no one seriously considers it one of the best donuts on the planet except people with some emotional interest in elevating Krispy Kreme to that level.

Not to beat a dead horse here, but anybody that brings up high school GPA is definitely pulling a move of desperation. One of the most laughable criteria of these rankings. Getting A's in California High Schools is not very difficult to achieve.

No offense - at least admit it's dam funny
DlkEtqy.gif

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_24475260/california-students-score-at-bottom-nation-reading-math

"California students continue to score near the bottom among states in math and reading, according to results of a national test released Thursday.

The Golden State's fourth-graders ranked 47th in the nation in both math and reading. Eighth-graders ranked 45th in math and 42nd in reading. "

Then you should tell your Cal brethren to STFU. PUR guys didn't start this garbage.
Clearface: It's your Board, and I subscribe to the notion that a degree of circumspection and restraint is in order when posting on someone else's Board. Which is why I asked one of our posters to give it a rest. But you had a role in this as well (e.g., "Eff Cal and Eff Cuonzo," etc.). Cuonzo is one of your own, dude.

Can't wait for this particular recruitment to end, no matter how it turns out.

Reactions: Cleanface
Came across an old interview from months ago before MSU was chosen. He was asked about where he wanted to go to college. He mentioned several things that would make me think he is leaning towards Purdue, but this was before MSU, so equally confusing why MSU ever found into this picture in the first place. He mentioned he wants to go to a school where he won't have to be the guy rebounding the ball all the time or basically being niched in. He likes playing beside competent big men where the ball can be fed inside and come at teams with more of a multi-dimentional way. And he also recognizes the home factor. He just needs to resist these pompous coaches that are gonna promise him the world and the bag of cash that no doubt will be thrown his way by these other arrogance programs. If he can do that and come to Purdue where he clearly belongs he can become a superstar. Think of him playing the 4 beside the players Purdue has this coming year. He'd have a chance to make history here. Problem with these pompous programs that come like a cat burglar out of the night like Kentucky is that they are just a broken record. You almost can't make history. The only thing you can become is a machinery part that gets shoved down the assembly line. But at Purdue. At Purdue you can make history and if there was ever a team to do it, this year's team and next few years team are the ones to do it. The full combination of accessories is on this team and this guy could end up being the piece that puts it all together. Granted success will happen either way next yr, but if you win a championship at Purdue that is worth gold while winning a championship at one of these factories means a lot less. And he gets to stay home in his own backyard, in his castle without the hassle.

Not to beat a dead horse here, but anybody that brings up high school GPA is definitely pulling a move of desperation. One of the most laughable criteria of these rankings. Getting A's in California High Schools is not very difficult to achieve.

DlkEtqy.gif

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_24475260/california-students-score-at-bottom-nation-reading-math

"California students continue to score near the bottom among states in math and reading, according to results of a national test released Thursday.

The Golden State's fourth-graders ranked 47th in the nation in both math and reading. Eighth-graders ranked 45th in math and 42nd in reading. "
are the SATs easier in California too?

are the SATs easier in California too?

They are when you just take a pool of the top scores and exclude all the low scores out as many colleges that flaunt them do. Money is what matters. And everything else is just a reaction to get the money. UNC for example. That is how they operate, and those rankings are an agenda themselves. Very little value. Without even looking at those rankings I can go find good colleges.

You don't even need to go to college to be successful anyways. A degree makes you valuable to someone else, but it is just your foot in the door. But like in the NFL natural ability supersedes what you did at some school. If you were bigger, faster, stronger, and you never played college football and the NFL thought they could mold then tomorrow morning they'd be throwing money at you despite college issues. Same thing goes for smarts. You think the NSA is gonna hire you because you got good grades somewhere or a good SAT score? I got some news....they ain't gonna. You think because you win the Heisman Trophy that means you are gonna be the next NFL superstar hall of famer?

The SAT score is nothing more than a false metric that they have found is a lot like a slot machine. People who score high on those tests have retaken different versions of the tests (while participating in studies) and scored much lower just after a few months time. Studies show the tests are basically quackery. Also poor students score high on them and flunk out of college at an alarmingly increasing rate. The whole purpose of the SAT as it was originally founded was to predict the aptitude of students to be successful in college. The probability of them completing a program. It was never intended to compare one students intelligence to another. Highly intelligent people can and do score low on those tests just as frequently as they score highly.

But I can guarantee you one thing in stone, SAT score criteria will have very very little to do with Swanigan's decision and if he ends up going to Kentucky it will probably have a lot more to do with a big bag of cash filled with Benjamin Franklin faces. Just sayen. UNC proves its a dirty world out there and it all centers around that bag of cash.

What do you think has more influence? A SAT score or a big bag of cash?
Money-bags.jpg

Last edited:

DlkEtqy.gif

Find me a metric anywhere that indicates your school is in cal's league. Hell find me a single department ranked higher. I'm not sure what delusional bubble you guys are living in, but here in civilization no one considers Purdue an elite academic institution. I'm sure in Bloomington people are really impressed, but I wouldn't use that as a barometer to reality.

Last edited:
LOL! How can a recruiting poster for Cal be bad news for Purdue? Some of you guys act like you just discovered college athletics for the first time.

I know "the Twitter" is a little hard for you guys to get. Do you have smartphones out there yet?

Yeah, sorry to you too! You do realize that the US News methodology has been questioned by some pretty solid sources. They tend to focus way more on student to faculty ratio that may or may not be indicative of the quality of education. Since Purdue is one of, if not the biggest, Engineering schools they probably rank poorly in that one important category. The WSJ did a report on where recruiters focus their energy and Cal Berkeley wasn't even close to Purdue.

Seriously Clark? Are you under some delusion that our engineering classes are small? despite that disadvantage in the rankings we still are #3 overall. What's your excuse?

Seriously Clark? Are you under some delusion that our engineering classes are small? despite that disadvantage in the rankings we still are #3 overall. What's your excuse?
No but they are likely smaller than Purdue.

Last edited:
Boys give this fight up, this guy isn't worth it. He's seriously delusional about cal bball and it's pedigree.

What do you guys think of cal when they come to mind? I think of Jason Kid and I doubt that changes

No but they are likely smaller than Purdue.

Average class size uc Berkeley 30. Student to faculty ratio 15:1

Average class size Purdue 31. Student to faculty ratio 13:1

If anything Purdue should be ahead of cal in the U.S. News rankings due to the superior student to faculty ratio. Any more excuses?

Boys give this fight up, this guy isn't worth it. He's seriously delusional about cal bball and it's pedigree.

What do you guys think of cal when they come to mind? I think of Jason Kid and I doubt that changes

Compared to the team that has never won a national championship? Ok

Stop being an ass, droski. You are embarrassing the real Cal grads.

:cool:

Find me a metric anywhere that indicates your school is in cal's league. Hell find me a single department ranked higher. I'm not sure what delusional bubble you guys are living in, but here in civilization no one considers Purdue an elite academic institution. I'm sure in Bloomington people are really impressed, but I wouldn't use that as a barometer to reality.

Man you really drank the Kool-Aid. Let me put it to you like this. California is one of the most, if not the most, liberal colleges in the whole world. Do you think things are good right now down there? Take a look around you. Let me summarize this up quite nicely. California colleges and colleges in general are about making cash. It is a cash cow for the clergymen that run it. Is it about really gaining knowledge or is it about padding up some clergy bank accounts? They rely on the local tax polices in place to jack up tuition. While the public gets skinned like a cat. There is no such thing as an elite college except in Harry Potter. Are you saying you are attending Harry Potter University where they teach you how to perform magical greatness? Most city libraries are far more educational than any college. I could go to the library and read 6 hours a day for free and learn more. Let me ask you this. Do you like Common Core? That is what this whole thing is anyway on a grand scale. Same books. Same education. Because when the TA gets out there because the professor is to cool for school and lectures to the stadium size classes at Cal (or any college) about what is in the book, and we are all reading the same book how, do explain to me how are you getting information at Cal that I am not? That I want to know. By the way some of these schools ranked in the top 20 don't even have legitimate college campuses. If you went to the campus it is like 5 buildings. What is that but a community college? What is the mission of a college with billion dollar bank accounts and 5 school buildings?

Remember: If UNC (ranked in top 25 US News most of the time) was offering its athletes of all sports fake college classes and fake degrees how much value do sports athletes use academics to evaluate the schools they are going to? Its all about the bag of cash. Big bags of cash. US News is a tool.

Last edited:
One thing most Purdue fans can agree on

Regardless of this Cal trolls best efforts, we will still be supporting our boy Cuonzo and rooting him on. Once a Boilermaker, always a Boilermaker.

Reactions: Frankie611
Krispy Kreme makes a nice donut, better than 80% of the donut shops on earth, but no one seriously considers it one of the best donuts on the planet except people with some emotional interest in elevating Krispy Kreme to that level.

Finally! You are talking about something for which you are qualified. Don't stop, Krispy. You are on a roll! lol.

Krispy lives under an Alemeda bridge. It's the closest he's ever come to the university.

Yep they're smart at Cal, most are anyway. But brains and common sense don't always jive. A good example is going to another team's board and starting a stupid pissing match with voodoo science and convenient reasoning. Their coach is blood to us and they shouldn't disrespect him with such gibberish and insecure aggrandizing. Let's end this stupid threat as it's past a good logical debate now.

Reactions: Matt18Jones
Average class size uc Berkeley 30. Student to faculty ratio 15:1

Average class size Purdue 31. Student to faculty ratio 13:1

If anything Purdue should be ahead of cal in the U.S. News rankings due to the superior student to faculty ratio. Any more excuses?
According to Cal's stats they have 5000 total Engineering students both Undergrad and Grad. They have 225 Faculty. Divide those and the numbers are closer to 22 to 1.

Fail!

Reactions: Cleanface
Not to be a wet blanket, but again, who cares about academics. This isn't an academic board where we debate the merits of academics at schools.

We come here to discuss athletics and we both love Purdue and love Cuonzo because he was a great Boilermaker.

I hope Cuonzo continues balling out at Cal and pulling in top recruiting classes. Win that mid major of a conference they call the Pac12 and make some noise in the tourney.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT