ADVERTISEMENT

How to Blow a Game

PBoiler84

Redshirt Freshman
Feb 16, 2004
We saw it in full force tonight. Turnovers, missed FTs, lax defense down the stretch, gunning 3s. Glad we have 2 7 footers that play for us and we mostly went away from them. We outrebounded them by a lot. No way we should have lost this game. Sad way to end season.
This post was edited on 3/19 10:00 PM by PBoiler84

Agree. I read Cincy had lost what 4 straight 1st rd games? Just folded up mentally down stretch which have admit young teams do.... Disappointed in Octeus. He was the senior to hit the late FT's. You have close them out. Any one suprised they struggled against press late?

like the Nova game in the garden a couple years back up 6 w/ 43 sec to go, similar tonight.

We got hosed in that Nova game by the refs, namely BoBo.
Tonight we lost the game mostly by ourselves.

Hang this loss where it belongs. On Painter.
Best shooters in the MidWest 3 years?? No way! 4-25 says differently. I think not. And, it's not just this game.
Continuing to allow those long ball as they stunk it up. Why is that? Why was that tolerated?
Wilting "D" when we have a shot blocking big man down the stretch. a 7 point lead in 45 seconds? C'mon!!
Not being able to come up with anything other than 3 pointers for scoring when your opponent lost it's best man...a big man?
This loss goes on Painter. You can spin it any way you want, but it's undeniable. We should be preparing to play Kentucky.

Originally posted by boiler-deuce:
Best shooters in the MidWest 3 years?? No way! 4-25 says differently. I think not. And, it's not just this game.
Continuing to allow those long ball as they stunk it up. Why is that? Why was that tolerated?
Wilting "D" when we have a shot blocking big man down the stretch. a 7 point lead in 45 seconds? C'mon!!
Not being able to come up with anything other than 3 pointers for scoring when your opponent lost it's best man...a big man?
This loss goes on Painter. You can spin it any way you want, but it's undeniable. We should be preparing to play Kentucky.

While I understand your point, you don't say the same thing if 1 or 2 of those go down late. Painter recruited shooters in Mathias and Stephens. It's not his fault they get plenty of open ones and miss most. Blaming painter is a cop out for those 2.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Well why is it when these players get to Purdue they forget how to shoot...it's an epidemic, and not just this year...years worth.

Just another in a long line of epic Purdue disappointments in the tourney.
Just incredible since their last FF in 1980

What I'm frustrated with is the allowance to continue jacking up 3s. I got in from a biz trip tonight and had to listen to the game in the first half. Announcers kept saying with Purdue's big guys and huge rebounding edge, we should have been up by 10 but weren't because we kept missing 3s. At some point, Painter needs to say "Enough is enough - stop jacking them up!". For most teams a bad 3 pt shooting night is going 4 for 13 or so. I can't recall a team that went 4 for 24 and won a game. ???

I'm so glad I missed the game (I was on a flight). Caught the box score and the comments here on the board ... can't imagine the burn for folks who watched.

I hope that AJ busts his @$$ over the off season even more than last year and just beasts on folks next year - every game. We need everyone to improve themselves over the off-season, but our guards REALLY need to learn how to post feed when AJ or Haas has the defender pinned. It seems in the last 10 games or so, we only pass it into the post when the red sea parts. If I was a big busting my @$$ to pin my defender and demonstrated I had the skill to score on the opposition AND I don't get the ball, I'd flip the F out. (and AJ is quite a good passer out of the post).

It's weird because we fed the post well for about 4-5 games mid-season, then Illinois did a great job defending it and we didn't adjust at all. Then, in all the subsequent games, we almost completely abandoned the post and instead almost 50% of our shots are from 3. Frustrating to say the least.

That said, the overall year was a positive one and I'm cautiously optimistic about next season. I hopeful Scott returns, but the realist in me thinks there is something to him basically not playing at all the last 4 games. I wonder if there's been too much baggage between CMP and Scott for the relationship to thrive. If our PG rotation is PJ and Weatherford, we're in trouble.

Originally posted by boilerjrut3:
oginally posted by to boiler-deuce:

While I understand your point, you don't say the same thing if 1 or 2 of those go down late. Painter recruited shooters in Mathias and Stephens. It's not his fault they get plenty of open ones and miss most. Blaming painter is a cop out for those 2.
Well...not really as those players don't decide when to sub in and out. Painter is in charge. He is the one responsible for who is playing smart or not. I cannot see that poor of shooting and to keep heaving them up with zero accountability. And if he is such a great X and O coach....why was that the best he could draw up? Repeatedly! My God really?!?

Originally posted by boiler-deuce:

Originally posted by boilerjrut3:
oginally posted by to boiler-deuce:

Well...not really as those players don't decide when to sub in and out. Painter is in charge. He is the one responsible for who is playing smart or not. I cannot see that poor of shooting and to keep heaving them up with zero accountability. And if he is such a great X and O coach....why was that the best he could draw up? Repeatedly! My God really?!?
While I get what you are saying, jut is spot on. No one was hitting so there really wasn't anyone he could sub in. And I have a feeling that he drew up getting it in to AJ, but Cincy did what everyone else did and packed in the middle leaving not a lot of choice in the matter.

It has been our struggle all season long. When we are hitting from outside, we can play and beat anyone IMO. When we aren't and like last night not really hitting from anywhere, even with open looks, we struggle to say the least. I think that will change with the addition of cline and Dakota and KS getting better.

People are looking for answers and the loss stings, I get it, but this forum tends to over analyze things a bit when we lose and the loss boils down to just a few simple things: Make a free throw, make one shot .. from anywhere ... and we are still dancing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT