ADVERTISEMENT

How did Painter lose Phinesee?

Cropper, if you follow the thread, the peer group given had only one player (Wall) who took enough 3 pt shots, the topic of the discussion, and who was a 2 guard to be a valid measure. Then Gordon was introduced. We had two who seemed appropriate for comparison. In Wall's case, his college and 3 pt % were almost identical. In Gordon's case, he was higher in the pros but not by much. The logical conclusion was that there is not a great deal of difference between the different levels. If you have another or better comparison, please provide.
Again, what about guys like Derozan, Jimmy Butler, or Lowry?

I looked at Jordan’s 3 % when he entered the nba and how it improved over time. I’m not going to dig deep into this and look up the stats of numerous players. He has great touch and a decent looking shot which leads me to believe that if he works at it he’ll become a decent 3 point shooter. Decent being the key word.

Their sample set for a whole season were too small. DeRozan was 36, Butler was 4, Lowry was 22 - and those are shots, not makes. Gordon and Wall were only ones mentioned over 100. RL projects to over 100 in my estimation.

Last edited:
Their sample set for a whole season were too small. DeRozan was 36, Butler was 4, Lowry was 22 - and those are shots, not makes. Gordon and Wall were only ones mentioned over 100. RL projects to over 100 in my estimation.
Highly disagree. If they only took 36, 4, and 22 shots respectively, that means they were terrible shooters. That would be like arguing we dont know if Nojel is a good shooter or not, because he's only taken 2 3s on the year. Those 3 are valid comparisons.

Well, I did not pick the peer group. I just looked up the data. If you have a complaint, take it up with the one that chose them.

Actually, I just went back and looked. YOU chose them! So now you are complaining about the makeup of a peer group thst you created! Come on, that is silly.

That has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the point of our discussion. The point of our discussion was that the outside shooting made RL risky as a Top5 pick which was the mantra that you were spouting. The risk with the pick might make him less attractive and move him down.

That in no way says that a risky pick won't pay off. Betting Loyola to make the FF last year would have resulted in a big payoff.. 99-1horses sometimes win at the track. Someone does win the Powrrball lottery. But those are all very risky bets.

The point is that a GM of a bad team might not want to make a risky bet as it could cost him his job. He might prefer the safer choice.

What you have done is selected a group that was successful and concluded that justifies the poor outside shooting. What you have not done is also looked at the poor outside shooters that were unsuccessful choices. That is not a valid method of analysis. It is the equivalent of saying that Bob Jones and James Smith bought lottery tickets snd won so if I bought one then I'll win too.

Also, were the poor outside shooters Top5 picks? If they were lower that hurts your thesis. You picked the group, you go see where they were drafted.

That has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the point of our discussion. The point of our discussion was that the outside shooting made RL risky as a Top5 pick which was the mantra that you were spouting. The risk with the pick might make him less attractive and move him down.

That in no way says that a risky pick won't pay off. Betting Loyola to make the FF last year would have resulted in a big payoff.. 99-1horses sometimes win at the track. Someone does win the Powrrball lottery. But those are all very risky bets.

The point is that a GM of a bad team might not want to make a risky bet as it could cost him his job. He might prefer the safer choice.

What you have done is selected a group that was successful and concluded that justifies the poor outside shooting. What you have not done is also looked at the poor outside shooters that were unsuccessful choices. That is not a valid method of analysis. It is the equivalent of saying that Bob Jones and James Smith bought lottery tickets snd won so if I bought one then I'll win too.

Also, were the poor outside shooters Top5 picks? If they were lower that hurts your thesis. You picked the group, you go see where they were drafted.
You said something along the lines of "Name NBA all-stars that shot poorly in college". You changed the discussion with that comment. Would you stop bringing up Romeo every week if I said taking Romeo top 5 is risky?

I am not being a homer. Slashers in college have a history of not succeeding in the NBA at the level meriting a high draft pick. If you think that is not true, please name a number of slashing guards who have been All-Stars, which you would expect of a high draft pick. Name some who have been key components of Championship teams. You could well be right and he turns out great, but I am playing the odds if I am a GM.
Here it is for your reference. You asked and I gave you 5 examples from last season alone.

You said something along the lines of "Name NBA all-stars that shot poorly in college". You changed the discussion with that comment. Would you stop bringing up Romeo every week if I said taking Romeo top 5 is risky?

No, I never said that. You are making that up. Please show me where I did. That would be the equivalent of saying long shots do not win at tne racetrack. They do win but rarely. Which is why you go broke betting on them.

No, I never said that. You are making that up. Please show me where I did. That would be the equivalent of saying long shots do not win at tne racetrack. They do win but rarely. Which is why you go broke betting on them.
Yikes, you are going to regret posting this once you see that i already proved you said it right below...

Here it is for your reference. You asked and I gave you 5 examples from last season alone.

I did write that. I was talking about the group as a whole, not just the ones who were successful. You are picking the few of the group that were successful and not considering the rest that were not. You have to look at the group as a whole in order for an analysis to be valid. Your logic is lacking. Whoever taught you the proper way to analyze data because they did not succeed.

Last edited:
I did write that. I was talking about the group as a whole, not just the ones who were succesful. You are picking the few of the group that were successful and not considering the rest that were not. You have to look at the group as a whole in order for an analysis to be valid. Your logic is lacking. Whoever taught you the proper way to analyze data because they did not succeed.
Lol proven wrong so you resort to personal attacks. That's classic from you. There were 14 guards on the All Star roster last year. As I mentioned 5 of them struggled to shoot in college. So 36% of the NBA all star guards last year struggled to shoot in college.

Reactions: jace465555
I went back and read my posts. I asked you to name slashers who were NBA All-Stars who were poor shooters as 2 guards? Is Wall a slasher, he was a PG not a 2 guard. Same for Lowry. You cannot compare apples and oranges.

Also, where were they picked?

I went back and read my posts. I asked you to name slashers who were NBA All-Stars who were poor shooters as 2 guards? Is Wall a slasher, he was a PG not a 2 guard. Same for Lowry.
You never said 2 guards dumb***. You said guards. Stop moving the goalposts.

I went back and read my posts. I asked you to name slashers who were NBA All-Stars who were poor shooters as 2 guards? Is Wall a slasher, he was a PG not a 2 guard. Same for Lowry. You cannot compare apples and oranges.

Also, where were they picked?
Also, this actually helps my argument. There were 7 "2 guards" on the all star team last year. 3 of them (Vic, Butler, Derozan) struggled to shoot in college. That's 46%.

Looked it up. Lowry was 24. Butler was 30. De Rozan was 9. None were Top5 and only one a lottery pick. Which means that you can take the risk lower in the order.

You never said 2 guards dumb***. You said guards. Stop moving the goalposts.

We were always talking 2-guard aka shooting guards. That is RL's position. You are not drafting him as a pg. 2 guards are scorers, pgs are ball handlers and passers. Different skill sets.

Looked it up. Lowry was 24. Butler was 30. De Rozan was 9. None were Top5 and only one a lottery pick. Which means that you can take the risk lower in the order.
That's not what you asked, but ok. If I say taking Romeo top 5 is risky, will you stop bringing this up every week?

We were always talking 2-guard aka shooting guards. That is RL's position. You are not drafting him as a pg. 2 guards are scorers, pgs are ball handlers and passers. Different skill sets.
And as I pointed out, 46% of the SGs on the All star roster last year struggled to shoot in college. Vic was taken #2 overall.

Now again, if I agree that taking Romeo as a top 5 pick is risky, will you stop obsessing over if he is a top 5 pick or not?

Btw, in his second year at IU, Oladipo shot 31% from 3 so your comment that he was bad from there is wrong.

Read the first page, and then read this page...am I in the same thread?

giphy.gif

Reactions: Schnelk
I cannot believe you gave that guy this much of an audience. IU is all he has to think about and you gave him quite a Christmas gift. You are kind indeed,
You come to the Purdue board to claim a Purdue fan only thinks about IU. LOL at the irony.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT