ADVERTISEMENT

Have we EVER had a schedule this stacked?

Abugabby

Junior
Jun 1, 2001
I can't remember a season where we had this many high quality teams on our schedule. Coach must feel good about this team to schedule teams like this...this year and last year.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
The thing is everyone is doing it, minus Houston maybe of the top teams. Look at Marquette's schedule. Kansas, Arizona. The early season matchups, whether they be in MTEs or random Saturday doubleheaders, are lights out good this year.

We have had tougher overall schedules when the BIG 10 was stacked. In the past, we’ve had schedules when Illinois, Iowa, IU, Mich, OSU, Mich st and uw were all ranked and tough opponents!

Reactions: SCBoiler1
We have had tougher overall schedules when the BIG 10 was stacked. In the past, we’ve had schedules when Illinois, Iowa, IU, Mich, OSU, Mich st and uw were all ranked and tough opponents!
B1G had another rough day yesterday. No surprise Wisconsin and IU lost, it's how they lost. The games weren't even competitive. Everyone keeps hunting for the "2nd best team" in the B1G and two months I'm not sure who that is?

It’s really good. Alabama arguably had there best game against us. We still beat them. The Arizona game will really tell us how good Purdue is. I’m sick of the negative from the fan base. It would be nice to see Loyer step up.
Loyer has stepped up vs UT. We haven’t needed him to step up every game since we are more well rounded as a team. I would say if maybe he doesn’t produce by end of Jan, we will probably see the changing of the guard and Heide will start to take more and more mins with Colvin mixed in.

The negative will continue until painter gets to the F4, unfortunately. This team so far, seems vastly different than last years. It has proven to be able to play any style and be able to win/almost win. Uptempo? We got that and can score. Slow it down? Feed the big maple down low. The team is light years ahead shooting the 3 ball this year than last year.

Purdue now has received the best games from NU and Bama. Played probably the worst game vs NU and almost won and also beat bama. We will continue to get each team’s best game, as a top 5 team in the country and the best team in the conference. Last year at this time, the team started to struggle to score, however, it looks to be different so far. Hope the team can continue to play well and keep composure and make a run through March

Reactions: Do Dah Day
I don’t think so, at least in the Painter era. I watch the computer rankings of Purdue’s final strength of schedule every year and I don’t recall it being close to top 10. This year, computer projections that I have seen indicate that it will finish top 5.

TeamRankings projects that Purdue will finish with the #1 schedule. Bart Torvik has Purdue finishing with the #3 SoS. I can’t see KenPom, but I am sure that it’s up there.

Edit: I stand somewhat corrected. I went back and looked at the final KenPom rankings and I was surprised to see that Purdue had some higher final rankings in SoS than I thought. In 2019, Purdue’s SoS ranked 6th, but that included the NCAA Tournament run with Virginia and Tennessee.

Last edited:
B1G had another rough day yesterday. No surprise Wisconsin and IU lost, it's how they lost. The games weren't even competitive. Everyone keeps hunting for the "2nd best team" in the B1G and two months I'm not sure who that is?
It's clearly Northwestern.

It’s really good. Alabama arguably had there best game against us. We still beat them. The Arizona game will really tell us how good Purdue is. I’m sick of the negative from the fan base. It would be nice to see Loyer step up.

AZ has the ability to smash us.....as we do them. Be interesting to see who comes to play. Indy games though have NOT been favorable to us, if my memory serves me.....?? Might remember wrong?

I would say Illinois at this point. Going on the road and losing to a tough Tennessee team does not change the way that I view them.
I was being TIC because it's not clear at all. Illinois is definitely good, especially in their backcourt with Domask. It would be nice if a bunch of other teams come out of these early games 1-1 like us.

Reactions: BoilerDaddy
AZ has the ability to smash us.....as we do them. Be interesting to see who comes to play. Indy games though have NOT been favorable to us, if my memory serves me.....?? Might remember wrong?
Arizona looks like the most complete team in the country, at this point, but Purdue has that unique 1-2 punch with Edey and Smith, complimented by a bunch of solid players.

I could definitely see it going either way. It should be another fun game!

I just checked the schedule, and not everyone plays 2 now. Specifically, the 3 teams that are 1-0 do not in Northwestern, Illinois and Wisconsin. There are only 2 more conference games and they're both between 0-1 teams today. I guess the other 4 don't get an extra bye slot after the new year. Northwestern does play Illinois Jan 2.

I just checked the schedule, and not everyone plays 2 now. Specifically, the 3 teams that are 1-0 do not in Northwestern, Illinois and Wisconsin. There are only 2 more conference games and they're both between 0-1 teams today. I guess the other 4 don't get an extra bye slot after the new year. Northwestern does play Illinois Jan 2.
I didn't realize that either. I thought every team played 2 conference games before the new year. Seems strange they wouldn't have every team have to play 2.

And how about the OSU loss last nite? Wow!

• Wow
Reactions: Boiler Buck
I didn't realize that either. I thought every team played 2 conference games before the new year. Seems strange they wouldn't have every team have to play 2.
It may have been harder to schedule because of all the marquee NC games everyone is putting together. Maybe the B1G would have wanted Illinois-Wisconsin this weekend but the Tennessee and Arizona games were already scheduled. And now we have Finals week for most.

I can't remember a season where we had this many high quality teams on our schedule. Coach must feel good about this team to schedule teams like this...this year and last year.
No

going thru the channels they were 12 in the 2nd half and looked in control. At least psu lost Diaz

Ohio State was up 55-37 with 15+ minutes left....Penn State made some timely three's, and Ohio State (wait for it) had some turnovers and started missing shots.....that one could really end up hurting the Buckeyes, who I think are one of the better league teams.

It should be noted for those who believe Purdue has had a really tough schedule this year that Alabama, Xavier and Northwestern are NOT Top 25 ranked teams this year! We were kind of supposed to win those games.

It should be noted for those who believe Purdue has had a really tough schedule this year that Alabama, Xavier and Northwestern are NOT Top 25 ranked teams this year! We were kind of supposed to win those games.
And yet, among P6 teams, only Tennesee at 6th has a higher strength of schedule than Purdue, which is 8th. And that's before we play the #1 team in the country.

Xavier is a Quad 2 win; Alabama and Northwestern are currently both Quad 1 games for Purdue, who is 4-1 in Quad 1 (good).

Ironically, what might "hurt" Purdue this year is the weakness of the conference games. Right now, several games that looked to be Quad 2 or even Quad 1 could end up being Quad 3. Just looking at the metrics, Purdue has had one of the better non-conference schedules.

Purdue has had a really tough schedule this year. Period.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT