ADVERTISEMENT

Hard to believe!

Go skill position by skill position:

QB is playing in the NFL, TE is playing in the NFL, LB is playing in the NFL, plus more reliable receivers, running backs who don't fumble twice as much as they score touchdowns...

Give me Blough over Card, Knox and Jones over Mockobee and Tracy, Zico and Wright over Burks and Yaseen, most of the defense over what we have now.

Now, does that mean the coaching also hasn't been abysmal? Nope, it has. Would Brohm do a better job? Yep, undoubtedly. Particularly on offense because he's light years ahead of air raid guy in play calling and scheming.

But yeah, at key positions the talent was better in 2017, Hazell was just that bad at coaching.
This guys not better. Take the blinders off.

Football is line play and both of Purdue’s right now are not very good. Until the Portal and next year’s recruiting class are onboard don’t expect much to improve. The coaches are doing what they can with what they have and the with lineman we have we don’t have much right now!

Reactions: gold67
Football is line play and both of Purdue’s right now are not very good. Until the Portal and next year’s recruiting class are onboard don’t expect much to improve. The coaches are doing what they can with what they have and the with lineman we have we don’t have much right now!
you are right in regards to the lines, that's where it starts and we've had troubles recruiting there for awhile

Go skill position by skill position:

QB is playing in the NFL, TE is playing in the NFL, LB is playing in the NFL, plus more reliable receivers, running backs who don't fumble twice as much as they score touchdowns...

Give me Blough over Card, Knox and Jones over Mockobee and Tracy, Zico and Wright over Burks and Yaseen, most of the defense over what we have now.

Now, does that mean the coaching also hasn't been abysmal? Nope, it has. Would Brohm do a better job? Yep, undoubtedly. Particularly on offense because he's light years ahead of air raid guy in play calling and scheming.

But yeah, at key positions the talent was better in 2017, Hazell was just that bad at coaching.
Every B1G team has at least 2-3 future NFL players on it. That was a bad, 1 win roster, that Brohm supplemented with shrewd additions, and got the absolute most out of.

Yeah they might want to get some proven OLs in the portal instead of signing 17 high school DBs.

Anybody that watched him coach during his tenure at Purdue would not be surprised.
The fact of the matter was that H.S coaches and those in the college game knew that Hazell was a phoney. When Freeman left after the first year, the handwriting was on the wall.
I'm concerned that the CRW experiment has displayed flawed coaching and failed offensive and defensive schemes.
If we can all agree on one thing, it is that in today's college game, momentum within in football program can swing in half of a season compared to 2 or 3 years in the past.
Look what happened to Allen at IU in one season,last year, compared to Northwestern this season.
Northwestern's coach has more than salvaged a season with solid coaching and sound schemes....

Reactions: pboiler18
I have always respected your opinion on Purdue Athletics over the years on this open forum and I agree about line play,but are you really sold on this coaching staff and their schemes???

I have always respected your opinion on Purdue Athletics over the years on this open forum and I agree about line play,but are you really sold on this coaching staff and their schemes???
personally in fairness I need to assess after 2 yrs

Reactions: Bippus33
Every B1G team has at least 2-3 future NFL players on it. That was a bad, 1 win roster, that Brohm supplemented with shrewd additions, and got the absolute most out of.
No it was a roster with talent on it that Brohm used much much better than Hazell did.

Reactions: z_one
All B1G football rosters have at least a few good players. That one had less than everyone else. Hence 1-8. And 1-7 the year before.
According to you it only takes one player. LOL That roster that Hazel left was no worse than Walters inherited. Brohm just knew how to use what he had better. You Brohm worshippers refuse to acknowledge that he gutted the program when he left. You only do that to make Walters look worse. He doesn't need any help in that department, he is looking bad all by himself. I'm sure you feel vindicated by the loss last weekend, but it doesn't bolster your claim at all.

Or the fact that Hazel had no clue how to use it! Kind of like this coach!
Hazel had some good key pieces(like two quality starting quarterbacks) but had no clue how to use them or any of the other players he had. Brohm knew how to use them. He's a good coach. No one denies that at all.

Hazel had some good key pieces(like two quality starting quarterbacks) but had no clue how to use them or any of the other players he had. Brohm knew how to use them. He's a good coach. No one denies that at all.
Walters has 2 great pass rushers and a decent DL. No clue how to stop a semi competent offense.

Returned 3 OL starters and 2 other major contributors there and haven’t been able to keep the QB clean all year. 2 good TEs. 2 good RBs.

I think youve made my point. …this coach is looking bad when it comes to utilizing what he has. I don’t really care about Brohm. He chose to leave and that is what it is. I’m tired of people blaming him for this.

He teams always lacked depth…I can’t think of a Purdue team post Tiller or even pre Tiller that had depth. At the end of the day Purdue is a place where you have to make the best out of what you get. Tiller and Brohm did it. If you can’t, you won’t be here long. This guy can’t…and seemingly refuses to change either.

I’ve said quite the opposite.

Gutted is what Hazell left with his historically terrible recruiting and 1 win roster.
No you said the patriots dynasty was all because of one player. You deleted it but I still have it. You don't know what you are talking about and never have. That is why you continue to trash an NFL caliber quarterback and other role players simply because Brohm was a superior coach to Hazel.

No you said the patriots dynasty was all because of one player. You deleted it but I still have it. You don't know what you are talking about and never have. That is why you continue to trash an NFL caliber quarterback and other role players simply because Brohm was a superior coach to Hazel.
I never said that.

And even if I had, Brady never went 1-8 in his entire life, so there’s no comparison to Hazell’s terrible 1 win roster.

Keep making excuses…

I never said that.

And even if I had, Brady never went 1-8 in his entire life, so there’s no comparison to Hazell’s terrible 1 win roster.

Keep making excuses…
(even if I had) actually an admission. Yes you did and you know it and so does everyone else. We could get back to talking about football, you just want to keep this personal. I'm willing to move on if you are. If not, I'll keep this up just like you want to do your 1-8 nonsense. The choice is yours.

Last edited:
(even if I had) actually an admission. Yes you did and you know it and so does everyone else. We could get back to talking about football, you just want to keep this personal. I'm willing to move on if you are. If not, I'll keep this up just like you want to do your 1-8 nonsense. The choice is yours.
Never said one player makes a team
- and even if I had, you would have to be a complete moron to compare David Blough to Tom Brady.

Never said one player makes a team
- and even if I had, you would have to be a complete moron to compare David Blough to Tom Brady.
You said one player responsible for the dynasty. Own it. And yes you would have to be a complete moron to compare Blough to Brady and YOU are the only person that has done that. MORON LOL

You said one player responsible for the dynasty. Own it. And yes you would have to be a complete moron to compare Blough to Brady and YOU are the only person that has done that. MORON LOL

Brohm took over a 1-8 roster and won a bowl game. Keep on making excuses for Walters

If you take the time to look back, there were several games Purdue almost won in the Hazell era! I remember one game where we were about to score the winning TD. Hazell called a brilliant play. The wide receiver faked out his defender. The ball was thrown perfectly! We all cheered!!!! And then the receiver dropped the ball. The pass was not hard to catch. He dropped the ball. No score. Game lost.

Hazell also wanted his defensive lineman to be 240-250 pounds with a lot of speed. The plan was rather than run through blockers, the defensive line would run around the blockers. This may be a great idea when playing against pass happy teams. But against teams like UW and Iowa and other teams, in the 4th quarter they just ran the ball and ran the ball and ran the ball some more. Against a very tired defensive line who could no longer hold the line. In so doing, running teams like UW would just eat the clock to end the game and Purdue would never get the ball back. We lost several more games because of our undersized defensive line just couldn’t make that critical third down stop to get our offense back on the field to try to win the game. The idea of having a quick and undersized defensive line. Was flawed!

Hazel was not a great coach. However he wasn’t as bad as people claim he was. He had some good players. But he also had some flawed philosophies. I doubt he would ever have a .500 season but I think he could have produced some 4-5 win seasons . It just seemed like he always had 1-2 weak links on offense and defense and 1-2 mistakes made at critical times that always led to a loss.

I still remember that UW game. Where it seemed like UW ran the ball and the clock for the last 8 minutes of the game and we just couldn’t stop them to get our offense back on the field. We kept thinking we had plenty of time left to make a quick score, but the UW offense could not be stopped and was content to make all those 4–5 yard gains and was more content running out the clock than scoring

If you take the time to look back, there were several games Purdue almost won in the Hazell era! I remember one game where we were about to score the winning TD. Hazell called a brilliant play. The wide receiver faked out his defender. The ball was thrown perfectly! We all cheered!!!! And then the receiver dropped the ball. The pass was not hard to catch. He dropped the ball. No score. Game lost.

Hazell also wanted his defensive lineman to be 240-250 pounds with a lot of speed. The plan was rather than run through blockers, the defensive line would run around the blockers. This may be a great idea when playing against pass happy teams. But against teams like UW and Iowa and other teams, in the 4th quarter they just ran the ball and ran the ball and ran the ball some more. Against a very tired defensive line who could no longer hold the line. In so doing, running teams like UW would just eat the clock to end the game and Purdue would never get the ball back. We lost several more games because of our undersized defensive line just couldn’t make that critical third down stop to get our offense back on the field to try to win the game. The idea of having a quick and undersized defensive line. Was flawed!

Hazel was not a great coach. However he wasn’t as bad as people claim he was. He had some good players. But he also had some flawed philosophies. I doubt he would ever have a .500 season but I think he could have produced some 4-5 win seasons . It just seemed like he always had 1-2 weak links on offense and defense and 1-2 mistakes made at critical times that always led to a loss.

I still remember that UW game. Where it seemed like UW ran the ball and the clock for the last 8 minutes of the game and we just couldn’t stop them to get our offense back on the field. We kept thinking we had plenty of time left to make a quick score, but the UW offense could not be stopped and was content to make all those 4–5 yard gains and was more content running out the clock than scoring
Hazell’s biggest problem was being the worst recruiting Purdue head coach ever. Leading to terrible recruiting classes and terrible rosters. Yeah he always had a half dozen decent players, but every B1G program falls ass-backwards into those.

Guy spent the bye weekend “recruiting” across the river at CC. What a bozo.

Sure you did. “Brohm gutted the roster, Hazell left some darn good players, etc.”

Excuses. Walters failure is his to own.
Never said Walters took over a worse program. Another lie New Fail. LOL

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT