ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread

I, for one, am tired of "moral victories". Games like this show we have talent to win, just no leadership. I caught the last series and that offsides call on us was killer.

You're nowhere to be found during the game, but you show up afterwards to complain. Of course.

I have to admit I was having feelings I haven't felt in years when MSU punted with 3 minutes left. I thought, they're going to do this. Then I thought, no they won't. Then, they're going to score and then MSU will answer with under 10 seconds left (this one I was convinced would happen after the defensive holding on 4th down). Hopefully, the players can build on this 2nd half and come out strong next week.

I, for one, am tired of "moral victories". Games like this show we have talent to win, just no leadership. I caught the last series and that offsides call on us was killer.

So last weeks we have no talent....and now we do have talent? Which is it?

Ok smarty.

Explain to me why I should buy into this train wreck?

Actually it was Indianapolis, but watching that team in Bloomington and they look far superior to us.

Luckily I am in Northern Florida and won't have to hear about it tomorrow.

Yeah, IU wasn't that impressive...

We bothe played paper tigers today

What was so poor from the coaches today? I'll wait...

And look, I'm not arguing they are good...but we lost by 3, on the road to the #2 team in the country....I think things ENDED up pretty well. Best half of D Purdue has played since 2003 vs a relevant team. Offense is still in need of retooling....but again....you were expecting a lot worse....got a close one and THIS is why you want to get rid of the staff?

Dramatic much?

Reactions: Bully4OldPurdue

And look, I'm not arguing they are good...but we lost by 3, on the road to the #2 team in the country....I think things ENDED up pretty well. Best half of D Purdue has played since 2003 vs a relevant team. Offense is still in need of retooling....but again....you were expecting a lot worse....got a close one and THIS is why you want to get rid of the staff?

Dramatic much?
Yes, moral victories have quite the impact on the win/loss column. Blind much? There are plenty of reasons to get rid of this staff. This is just another example in a long line of issues.

But hang on to that moral victory if it keeps you warm at night.

Dramatic much?
How about the first 18 minutes of the game when MSU steamrolled us out the gate and we were as usual not prepared - all on the coaches. Good thing MSU lost interest after that it it could've been 56-0.
Kudos again for PU having the Nutz to hang in and make a game of it. But being ill prepared from the opening snap is a hallmark of this coaching staff.

How about the first 18 minutes of the game when MSU steamrolled us out the gate and we were as usual not prepared - all on the coaches. Good thing MSU lost interest after that it it could've been 56-0.
Kudos again for PU having the Nutz to hang in and make a game of it. But being ill prepared from the opening snap is a hallmark of this coaching staff.

Is fumbling the ball all on the coaches? Is that personal foul penalty all on the coaches? Is missing a million tackles in the first half all on the coaches? No its not....The game plan was solid in the first half just poor execution by the players. The players aren't robots. There is only so much coaches can do to educate players on how to play smart. Once the players are on the field, its up to them. The offense and defense plans were not bad today. If you watched the game, multiple times we had receivers VERY open. That indicates excellent scheme and timing on the play call.
On defense in the first half, we had multiple hits on the RB behind the line of scrimmage or 1 to 2 yards after but missed the tackle. That indicates that the players are in the right position just NOT making the damn tackles.
Are the coaches questionable? Yes. Their personnel choices haven't been good and recruiting is terrible but schematically, both coordinators are not as nearly as bad as you people make them out to be. You just have to have people to execute the damn plays!

Reactions: pboiler18
Is fumbling the ball all on the coaches? Is that personal foul penalty all on the coaches? Is missing a million tackles in the first half all on the coaches? No its not....The game plan was solid in the first half just poor execution by the players. The players aren't robots. There is only so much coaches can do to educate players on how to play smart. Once the players are on the field, its up to them. The offense and defense plans were not bad today. If you watched the game, multiple times we had receivers VERY open. That indicates excellent scheme and timing on the play call.
On defense in the first half, we had multiple hits on the RB behind the line of scrimmage or 1 to 2 yards after but missed the tackle. That indicates that the players are in the right position just NOT making the damn tackles.
Are the coaches questionable? Yes. Their personnel choices haven't been good and recruiting is terrible but schematically, both coordinators are not as nearly as bad as you people make them out to be. You just have to have people to execute the damn plays!
Having the players ready to play out of the gate is indeed on the coaches. And we've seen it multiple times over the last 2-1/2 years.

Having the players ready to play out of the gate is indeed on the coaches. And we've seen it multiple times over the last 2-1/2 years.

This is not a problem exclusive to the new coach. How many times did Danny Hope teams get blasted out of the game in the first quarter by teams that were a lot worse than this MSU team?

This is not a problem exclusive to the new coach. How many times did Danny Hope teams get blasted out of the game in the first quarter by teams that were a lot worse than this MSU team?

Danny Hope actually usually won more than 2 games a year. This regime has that may in their tenure.

Pathetic.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER

I do agree that the players have to execute but isn't it on the coaches (HC, Coordinators, etc.)? Isn't that the responsibility they signed up for?

I'm not saying that the coaches in any way committed those mistakes but aren't you generally held responsible, to some degree, by the actions of those under your leadership?

Granted, Hazell doesn't make near what some college coaches make but I was under the impression that the coaches make very good money (compared to the rest of us at least) because if things don't go well, you have to stand up and be held responsible for the product on the field.

There's plenty of blame to go around for the mental errors, but I'm not ready to let the coaches off the hook.

Now it's time for some Sunday morning football. :)

Dramatic much?

A timed passing offense that spaces the field and uses this qbs arm and accuracy to work deep to short to open receivers on the run.

NFL guys laugh and say "what do college qbs learn? Everyone is playing basketball on grass."

We aren't.

Yes it actually is all on the coaches. When your recruiting classes are consistently ranked at the bottom of the league, that will tend to show up on Saturdays, in the form of lots of mistakes and penalties.

Lesser talented players make more mistakes and commit more penalties than more talented players, at all levels of football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT