ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread

Because that's how Shoop always calls em?
The third down call before the missed field goal was the only call that I had much of an issue with.

I could see the logic of the play action on the third and two that was intercepted. It was not a bad situation to take a shot, IMO.

The drive when Purdue scored its final field goal was very well called, IMO. Purdue should have had a touchdown on that drive, but AA missed his target.

The big problem that I saw on offense was execution, specifically on passing plays. This has been an issue at Purdue for several years.

From a qb that been coached by John Shoop for three freaking years.
This is on the coach flat out deny it all you want. - that's the way of the world these days.
Deny and deflect

Maybe stop drinking when you can't find the keyboard. This loss isn't on the OC.

Maybe stop drinking when you can't find the keyboard. This loss isn't on the OC.

The reality is, we don't have a lot of talent. We had a lot of returning starters this year - of course you should be able to see improvement. If you return that many starters and you don't see improvement, that's a giant red flag. But at the end of the day, we don't have that much talent. We have some good players, but that doesn't do a whole lot on its own.

Is the coaching great? I don't think so. But to act like we've recruited these great players and the coaches are holding them back - eh I don't know about that.

Reactions: Frankie611
Interesting comments by the announcers at the end of the game. Still questioning if we can get out of the cellar. AA is struggling to throw the ball down the field and the offense was given multiple chances to build on a lead and couldn't do it. Personally I don't know or care if that is the coaches or players, likely a bit of both.

It is one game, but considering how poorly Marshall played at home vs our D and we could not take advantage of that we are likely in for a rocky road of a season.

If you step back and look at the schedule it sets up well for a building team in that you have 7 home games and 4 B10 games against traditionally weaker teams at RA. If DH can't get the team to win at home this year then he is gone.
This was a great game, if it was a coaches first year. The thing is this isn't his first year, it's time to look for the next tiller hazelnut isn't it. The buy out isn't that bad for 1 year and the bump in attendance with a new coach may be enough that it pays for itself.

Sorry but disagree. This loss most certainly is on the OC as he went conservative and played not to lose.
3rd and 3 with my oline dominating **** it I'm going deep.

Who built this offense? Let's run read with a qb nearly a foot taller than my rb that shouldn't cause any issues. I'd really expect to see more trips formation, I think that would really allow for some confusion and hide our wr issues better than whatever the hell we were doing today.

Running shot gun, 2 rb in the backfield, and let's motion a wr back there too. Why not telegraph the defense and let them know it's time to blitz because all you have to cover is 1 wr.

What we need out if this team is less flashy play calling. Get rid of all the motions (this isn't high school), stop with the qb reads (maybe an option play or two), put the qb under center, and let the rb lead this team. Once we establish the run we can start throwing in play action. Once the d is tired run some sweeps or quick pitches.

Reactions: ghostoffatjack
looks like Knox and Jones are the real deal, feel a bit sorry for Green.
Not sure why anyone would "feel sorry" for Green. After last season he was the incumbent #1 back, but according to reports he didn't take that responsibility seriously, and both Knox and Jones worked harder and passed him by over the summer. Nothing should be given to you in football, even if your competition is two guys who've never carried a ball for Purdue in a game before today. Let's hope he's taking it seriously now because he's only an injury away from getting carries again.

What we need out if this team is less flashy play calling. Get rid of all the motions (this isn't high school), stop with the qb reads (maybe an option play or two), put the qb under center, and let the rb lead this team. Once we establish the run we can start throwing in play action. Once the d is tired run some sweeps or quick pitches.[/QUO

What's funny is that in year 1 that's what they tried with a QB that should've been running read option.

Reactions: Frankie611
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT