ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread

Purdue football. There you have it. We controlled the game. That's almost as good as a win would have been (tic).

lousy calls by offense. nothing changes as long as Shoop is there. makes Chaney look great/

Same old same old
Looking forward to the always rosy reports from Stacey and GBI on how much better we look.
Horrible loss in another game we shou have won

This one is all on Hazell. He can't tell the difference between 9 minutes left and 5 minutes left. He completely misjudged when to play the clock. The players did their best but there is only so much they can do if their hands are tied by the head coach. What was the point of spending so much time picking the starting quarterback if you don't let him throw? My only condolence for this game is that this probably will be the last Purdue season opener coached by DH!

I haven't criticized a player openly before, but this loss is squarely on Appleby. .
No this loss is on Shoop for calling a too conservative of a game, Hudson for letting Marshall drive right down the field and score and Hazell for not getting this team in line.

AA was trying to win the game and the opening INT was a result of a hold (you could see it on one of the replays they showed).

I respect your opinion I just disagree.

lousy calls by offense. nothing changes as long as Shoop is there. makes Chaney look great/
Shoop did not make Appleby make poor throws. The loss is more on Appleby than Shoop. The interceptions were bad throws but the receivers were open (except upon the first.) Appleby missed the TE in the endzone for a TD. Those were good play calls, but the execution was not there. That is NOT the fault of the OC.

no bowl game this year. this team is not good enough to overcome the play-calling

This one is all on Hazell. He can't tell the difference between 9 minutes left and 5 minutes left. He completely misjudged when to play the clock. The players did their best but there is only so much they can do if their hands are tied by the head coach. What was the point of spending so much time picking the starting quarterback if you don't let him throw? My only condolence for this game is that this probably will be the last Purdue season opener coached by DH!

They let Appleby throw the ball almost fifty times! They shouldn't let him ever throw that much. Knox and Jones should combine for 40-50 touches a game.

Shoop did not make Appleby make poor throws. The loss is more on Appleby than Shoop. The interceptions were bad throws but the receivers were open (except upon the first.) Appleby missed the TE in the endzone for a TD. Those were good play calls, but the execution was not there. That is NOT the fault of the OC.
Disagree. There were many more bad play calls than good (3 runs and a play action on 3rd and 2 .. twice) and the constant run up the middle .. oh and let's not forget the "playing not to lose" mentality too.

I mean even the terrible announcers could see it. There is talent on this team but the coaching staff has no clue how to use it.

I honestly can see improvement in areas. However, I cannot believe we cant get a damn qb/oc tandem that doesnt screw up every game. I think our linebackers are much better and our receivers look much better. But our o-line cannot pass protect at all. I just dont recall watching college football and a team always getting questioned for play calling by the announcers like we do. Its funny at this point and I would make fun of us too.

Reactions: dietable
I honestly can see improvement in areas. However, I cannot believe we cant get a damn qb/oc tandem that doesnt screw up every game. I think our linebackers are much better and our receivers look much better. But our o-line cannot pass protect at all. I just dont recall watching college football and a team always getting questioned for play calling by the announcers like we do. Its funny at this point and I would make fun of us too.
I think AA has potential but like you said needs a good OC .. right now we don't have one.

All Shoop.... You have gashed them for 4-5 yards a run and two consecutive drives he decides to throw the ball on 3rd and 2, STUPID. Then the following drive on 3rd and 5 he decides to run it FINALLY but not with our two RB who have played great but with AA (who looked God Awful). New year same stupid decisions. At this point if your DH you do it to save face and see what happens. Couldn't get worse.

Disagree. There were many more bad play calls than good (3 runs and a play action on 3rd and 2 .. twice) and the constant run up the middle .. oh and let's not forget the "playing not to lose" mentality too.

I mean even the terrible announcers could see it. There is talent on this team but the coaching staff has no clue how to use it.

BBG, we will have to agree to disagree. I saw a lot of bad throws to receivers that were open but the ball was not where it was supposed to be. The DBs also played way to conservative - hthought to beat look a lot happier now.uge cushions given on patterns, especially in the 4th Qtr.

Teams we were supposed to beat look a lot happier now.

NO potential. Missed a wide open JJ on maybe the easiest throw of the day, that would have been 6. HE tries to throw the ball 900 MPH every throw into windows he has no business throwing into.

Shoop is the qb coach - it's on him after three years

AA would be a decent QB for a team that just needed him to not lose a game. unfortunately, purdue will always need a qb to be a difference maker. He isn't. Hope Sindelar is.

so you like the playcalling after the interception
I didn't watch the whole game, but Shoop was conservative for good reason, IMO. Appleby is not consistent in his execution. Unfortunately, Marshsll put together a great drive to win the game.

Interesting comments by the announcers at the end of the game. Still questioning if we can get out of the cellar. AA is struggling to throw the ball down the field and the offense was given multiple chances to build on a lead and couldn't do it. Personally I don't know or care if that is the coaches or players, likely a bit of both.

It is one game, but considering how poorly Marshall played at home vs our D and we could not take advantage of that we are likely in for a rocky road of a season.

If you step back and look at the schedule it sets up well for a building team in that you have 7 home games and 4 B10 games against traditionally weaker teams at RA. If DH can't get the team to win at home this year then he is gone.

I didn't watch the whole game, but Shoop was conservative for good reason, IMO. Appleby is not consistent in his execution. Unfortunately, Marshsll put together a great drive to win the game.
Because that's how Shoop always calls em?

You can't win games when you go into ball control while up by 1 in the 3rd quarter. History has shown that this is not a very good halftime coaching staff.
Run your normal offense until you are leading half way through the 4th quarter. You have a team that hasn't won very much, stop playing not to lose!
I thought everything looked good in the first half (outside of the first play of the game).
Very disappointing finish to say the least.
I'll be in the stands next week hoping for a recovery of this debacle...otherwise this could be a long year.

No, it's not. The fact of the matter is you take back three terrible throws we win the game.
From a qb that been coached by John Shoop for three freaking years.
This is on the coach flat out deny it all you want. - that's the way of the world these days.
Deny and deflect

You can't win games when you go into ball control while up by 1 in the 3rd quarter. History has shown that this is not a very good halftime coaching staff.
Run your normal offense until you are leading half way through the 4th quarter. You have a team that hasn't won very much, stop playing not to lose!
I thought everything looked good in the first half (outside of the first play of the game).
Very disappointing finish to say the least.
I'll be in the stands next week hoping for a recovery of this debacle...otherwise this could be a long year.

Yes you can win that way...if you're Ohio St....which is what Hazell came here wanting to do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT