ADVERTISEMENT

Ethan Morton

The court awareness, ability to facilitate, and passing reminds me a bit of a small Larry Bird. Above average dribbling. Would be a great addition to the program.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
I have read he is still growing and is up to 6'6. I also see some comparisons in this thread to Bird. Would you project him as a tall point guard ? or as a small forward like Cline with great vision and passing ability and a part of a motion offense that passes the ball around? he does look like a perfect fit for Painter's style of offense.

I have read he is still growing and is up to 6'6. I also see some comparisons in this thread to Bird. Would you project him as a tall point guard ? or as a small forward like Cline with great vision and passing ability and a part of a motion offense that passes the ball around? he does look like a perfect fit for Painter's style of offense.
I think you hit it on the head, because of our motion offense he can play 1-3. He is primarily a facilitator instead of a scorer but he can score when needed.

I realize the original intent was to compare Morton stylistically to Bird, but maybe we should pump the brakes a bit before carrying that comparison too far? Besides, if we're making hall of fame comparisons, his game more closely resembles that of Magic. ;)

Luka Doncic type PG. I can dream can't I?

I wonder if we will see a shift in offensive philosophy again with the addition of Morton. He is a very ball dominant PG for his high school and AAU team. As has been said, his best attribute is his elite facilitating. He will need the ball in his hands frequently to show that skill off.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I wonder if we will see a shift in offensive philosophy again with the addition of Morton. He is a very ball dominant PG for his high school and AAU team. As has been said, his best attribute is his elite facilitating. He will need the ball in his hands frequently to show that skill off.
I trust that our multiple coach of the year award winning coach will figure it out.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I hope you are equally annoyed at TheHoosier.com folks calling Purdue coeds fat and ugly. This has been going on for years. Some folks have met their wives at Purdue or now have daughters going to Purdue, even IU fans.
Then take it there, not here. Everyone outside of their circle agrees they are low-class trailer trash. So then why would it be anything but low-class to respond in kind?

With six months of no games (April - Sept), it can be done. Shooting 500 shots/day the right way for six months can change muscle-memory. It's hard on the AAU circuit due to games ... so, PU from June-Nov could make it happen.
The knock on E'twaun Moore going into his senior year was his outside shot. We all know how that turned out. :D

I'm not sure it needs much tweaking, think how often Carson had the ball, both bringing it up and getting if off a screen when he couldn't get his shot off. Often it was those times when there was an open man he didn't see (or perhaps didn't look for). Nojel had the ball a nice amount of time too and often found an open guy . . . I don't think the weave into motion takes the ball out of the great players hands as much as some think it does.

The thing I saw on that video was that as the outlet receiver, he could see over many players and find guys open downcourt that many may not have been able to see ... and yes, he did know where to look!!! and he definitely knew how to get the ball to them at the right time and place. All rare and wonderful.

As far as comparing him to someone, he looks familiar . . . . except is faster, more athletic, and has a better stroke

20szuz4.jpg

Well with Morton and Ivey on board. And with Galloway likely now to join Phinisee down south, where does Landers try to squeeze in at? Rivals ranks him the #1 PG in the 2021 class. Does he just go to Ky and try to be a one and done?

Well with Morton and Ivey on board. And with Galloway likely now to join Phinisee down south, where does Landers try to squeeze in at? Rivals ranks him the #1 PG in the 2021 class. Does he just go to Ky and try to be a one and done?
He's 5' 11", 150 (and yes, a H Soph) ..... mic drop

It appears we'll have two scholarships for that year. And will be very thin at the 4/5 ....

Last edited:
I'm not sure it needs much tweaking, think how often Carson had the ball, both bringing it up and getting if off a screen when he couldn't get his shot off. Often it was those times when there was an open man he didn't see (or perhaps didn't look for). Nojel had the ball a nice amount of time too and often found an open guy . . . I don't think the weave into motion takes the ball out of the great players hands as much as some think it does.

The thing I saw on that video was that as the outlet receiver, he could see over many players and find guys open downcourt that many may not have been able to see ... and yes, he did know where to look!!! and he definitely knew how to get the ball to them at the right time and place. All rare and wonderful.
Purdue doesnt play how his high school team does. Think Steve Nash or Chris Paul. Those guys get high picks and drive to dish or go score. That's how Morton has played for his high school team and AAU team.

Carsen and Morton have virtually no similarities. Morton's offensive game is closest to Nojel's. He's an elite passer with a high basketball IQ.

I really like Morton's last sentence in his commitment tweet about thanking CMP, the staff, and the fans for accepting him into the family. Contrast that with a lot of players who talk about the implicit or explicit requirement that coaches and programs "show them love." Refreshing.

? The staff did show him love. Painter went there multiple times personally. Just cuz he didn't use those words that exactly what he's saying.

I really like Morton's last sentence in his commitment tweet about thanking CMP, the staff, and the fans for accepting him into the family. Contrast that with a lot of players who talk about the implicit or explicit requirement that coaches and programs "show them love." Refreshing.
Read interviews he did with Evan Daniels and Nathan Baird last night. As a junior in high school, this kid already appreciates everything about this program that we all do, including Painter’s “straight shooting” approach, the family atmosphere, the commitment to winning over individual accolades, Mackey, the academics, the campus, you name it.

Hella recruiting job by CMP here, but this kid is mature beyond his years.

? The staff did show him love. Painter went there multiple times personally. Just cuz he didn't use those words that exactly what he's saying.
Of course -- but I think there is a significant difference in semantics, attitude, and spirit between Morton and "Shoe Guy" (as Dakich would say).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT