ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN re-ranking the Sweet 16

punaj

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Liberty, KY
Anyone see the article on ESPN? I don’t pay for access so I can’t read it. Just wondering where they ranked Purdue. Given margin of victory I’d say they should be #1 but I’d guess 2 or 3 just because ESPN hates the big ten and Edey is just tall :)

I pay for it to watch the UFC.

1. UCONN
2. Purdue -
Utah State coach Danny Sprinkle's strategy to solve the Zach Edey riddle made sense: Every time the 7-foot-4 star touched the ball in the paint Sunday, the Aggies would send a second defender to slow down the reigning Wooden Award winner. There is no other way to guard the 290-pound NBA prospect.

It didn't work. Edey had 21 points and 11 rebounds -- at halftime.

Sprinkle's approach also demonstrated how this Purdue team has changed, becoming a serious national title contender with more than just the threat presented by its superstar in the paint. The Boilermakers' jump from 276th nationally in 3-point shooting (32.2%) a year ago to second nationally (40.7%) this year has also created a pick-your-poison scenario for opponents. Every time you double-team Edey, you're taking a risk by offering Purdue's excellent 3-point shooters open looks. Matt Painter's team hit 48% of its 3s Sunday. A year ago, many ridiculed Purdue after its quick exit in the NCAA tournament. Now? The Boilermakers are perhaps the most difficult puzzle for any remaining team.

3. North Carolina
4. Houston
5. Arizona
6. Iowa St.
7. Tenn.
8.Marquette
9. Duke
10. Gonzaga
11. Ill-annoy
12. Creighton
13. San Diego St.
14. Bama
15. NC State
16. Clemson

1. UCONN
2. Purdue -
Utah State coach Danny Sprinkle's strategy to solve the Zach Edey riddle made sense: Every time the 7-foot-4 star touched the ball in the paint Sunday, the Aggies would send a second defender to slow down the reigning Wooden Award winner. There is no other way to guard the 290-pound NBA prospect.

Sprinkle's approach also demonstrated how this Purdue team has changed, becoming a serious national title contender with more than just the threat presented by its superstar in the paint. The Boilermakers' jump from 276th nationally in 3-point shooting (32.2%) a year ago to second nationally (40.7%) this year has also created a pick-your-poison scenario for opponents. Every time you double-team Edey, you're taking a risk by offering Purdue's excellent 3-point shooters open looks. Matt Painter's team hit 48% of its 3s Sunday. A year ago, many ridiculed Purdue after its quick exit in the NCAA tournament. Now? The Boilermakers are perhaps the most difficult puzzle for any remaining team.

3. North Carolina
4. Houston
5. Arizona
6. Iowa St.
7. Tenn.
8.Marquette
9. Duke
10. Gonzaga
11. Ill-annoy
12. Creighton
13. San Diego St.
14. Bama
15. NC State
16. Clemson
Not criticizing the detractors here, but this brings up a good point and I am genuinely curious. If Purdue's style is so outdated, why has every team not stopped them in the 21st Century? It's Edey's 2nd year as NPOY, so he's no secret. The teams that did beat Purdue shot out of their minds from 3-point range, and Purdue faIled to take care of the ball. They would have beaten the most modern, progressive styles on those nights.

1. UCONN
2. Purdue -

3. North Carolina
4. Houston
5. Arizona
6. Iowa St.
7. Tenn.
8.Marquette
9. Duke
10. Gonzaga
11. Ill-annoy
12. Creighton
13. San Diego St.
14. Bama
15. NC State
16. Clemson
Thanks. Much appreciated read.

1. UCONN
2. Purdue -

3. North Carolina
4. Houston
5. Arizona
6. Iowa St.
7. Tenn.
8.Marquette
9. Duke
10. Gonzaga
11. Ill-annoy
12. Creighton
13. San Diego St.
14. Bama
15. NC State
16. Clemson
Thanks for posting!

#2 would have been my guess. UConn started the tournament as a higher #1 seed than Purdue and tore through their first two opponents--one of which has beaten Purdue. Houston had a dog fight v. A&M in the second round. I still think there's a gap between those 3 and the rest of the field.

Can't believe they have Illinois at #11. I would have put them about where Tennessee or Marquette is.

Thanks for posting!

#2 would have been my guess. UConn started the tournament as a higher #1 seed than Purdue and tore through their first two opponents--one of which has beaten Purdue. Houston had a dog fight v. A&M in the second round. I still think there's a gap between those 3 and the rest of the field.

Can't believe they have Illinois at #11. I would have put them about where Tennessee or Marquette is.

Agree on Illinois. Perhaps Iowa State is a tad high.

But at this level it's many times about how you play, more than who you play. Granted D and especially piss poor refs can & do take things away, but great offense can overcome that....often what you find at this level and above.

Reactions: SKYDOG and rgarlitz
Not criticizing the detractors here, but this brings up a good point and I am genuinely curious. If Purdue's style is so outdated, why has every team not stopped them in the 21st Century? It's Edey's 2nd year as NPOY, so he's no secret. The teams that did beat Purdue shot out of their minds from 3-point range, and Purdue faIled to take care of the ball. They would have beaten the most modern, progressive styles on those nights.
Because Andy, the narrative!

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Thanks for posting!

Illinois struggled to guard MSU for that first round for quite some time and weren’t tested at all in second round.

Iowa state is 2nd best defense after Houston and if they shutdown Illinois’s offense, will Illinois be able to defend Iowa state (I know they can struggle to score, but can they expose Illinois on defense)?

I think Creighton is a bit low. They’re a matchup problem with Kalk, Scheierman and Alexander. Their Pg is solid too (transfer from Utah state). UT is good as long as Knecht is going, if he goes cold (like he has in games this year) they struggle and don’t have anyone that can score.

Illinois struggled to guard MSU for that first round for quite some time and weren’t tested at all in second round.

Iowa state is 2nd best defense after Houston and if they shutdown Illinois’s offense, will Illinois be able to defend Iowa state (I know they can struggle to score, but can they expose Illinois on defense)?

I think Creighton is a bit low. They’re a matchup problem with Kalk, Scheierman and Alexander. Their Pg is solid too (transfer from Utah state). UT is good as long as Knecht is going, if he goes cold (like he has in games this year) they struggle and don’t have anyone that can score.
Illinois vs Iowa St is one of the most intriguing matchups in the next round. Duke vs Houston and Tennessee vs Creighton are good as well.

I didn’t say Purdue vs Gonzaga, but of course that is the only matchup I really care about.

Not really sure what you're asking? Do you mean why don't we get beat more often? If so, that's simple, Edey is not your run of the mill Big. He is the NPOY so of course he is going to dominate most guys that try to guard him. So while our style may not be very common any more, we are doing it with the best big man in the country. Makes all the difference. If Edey wasn't on the team, this would be a very different team. He is the biggest (pun intended) outlier in the game today.

It's not true that all teams that have beaten us have "shot out of their minds from 3".

OSU - 33%
Wisconsin - 22%
FDU - 30%

More than 1 way to beat us, but it's not easy hence our win% with Edey.

Not really sure what you're asking? Do you mean why don't we get beat more often? If so, that's simple, Edey is not your run of the mill Big. He is the NPOY so of course he is going to dominate most guys that try to guard him. So while our style may not be very common any more, we are doing it with the best big man in the country. Makes all the difference. If Edey wasn't on the team, this would be a very different team. He is the biggest (pun intended) outlier in the game today.

It's not true that all teams that have beaten us have "shot out of their minds from 3".

OSU - 33%
Wisconsin - 22%
FDU - 30%

More than 1 way to beat us, but it's not easy hence our win% with Edey.
Thanks. There are some people, including a few Purdue fans, who claim that Purdue can't win the big games by playing inside-out basketball. If it's so outdated, I wonder how they could win any games. You provided the counter argument.

Thanks for posting!

Illinois doesn't seem to be getting much national 'love' for whatever it's worth. Considering how they're playing right now, I seriously expected them to be the betting favorite against Iowa State. Can they beat UConn? Probably not, but it would/will be an exciting game.

Iowa St is now #1 defense, per KenPom, after Texas A&M put up 95 in OT Sunday.

🙄

Well, we are all pulling for you … good luck!
Who is "We". Kind of doubt that you speak for every Illinois fan. Especially after the way your crowd acted when playing us. I'd be shocked if all of those idiots are cheering for PU.

I generally like Underwood and usually don't have any problem with Illinois in general, but this years team is just not very likeable. Doesn't mean they aren't good, which they are. Just not a team I'm pulling for. Just 1 guys take.

Kudos to the whinin' Illini-- they buckled down on defense and never relinquished the lead....

Having said that, Iowa State looked to be completely overrated, and especially clueless on offense last night.

If the Illini were even decent from the FT line, that game is a blowout.

Kudos to the whinin' Illini-- they buckled down on defense and never relinquished the lead....

Having said that, Iowa State looked to be completely overrated, and especially clueless on offense last night.

I was amazed at the D they put on. Definitely a step up from B10 season. Going to need all that & more in their next game.....might help them to have a higher FT % too. 😎

I was amazed at the D they put on. Definitely a step up from B10 season. Going to need all that & more in their next game.....might help them to have a higher FT % too. 😎

Very solid win for Illinois - for most of the game, Iowa State struggled on offense.....some of that the Illini defense and some of it just impatience and poor decision making from the Cyclones.

Although I wouldn't wager on it, I give Illinois a shot (slim as it may be) against Connecticut - think they'll need some help from the Huskies to do it, but I would not be totally surprised. Meanwhile though, UCONN has looked like a juggernaut again this tournament.

Very solid win for Illinois - for most of the game, Iowa State struggled on offense.....some of that the Illini defense and some of it just impatience and poor decision making from the Cyclones.

Although I wouldn't wager on it, I give Illinois a shot (slim as it may be) against Connecticut - think they'll need some help from the Huskies to do it, but I would not be totally surprised. Meanwhile though, UCONN has looked like a juggernaut again this tournament.
It would be interesting to see an opponent be able to hang with UCONN down the stretch in a game, and how they react to that --they've pretty much coasted to victory so far...

If nothing else, Purdue and Illinois are certainly battle-tested.

Iowa State was a bad match-up for Houston. Illinois was a bad match-up for Iowa State.

I agree. Not impressed by their offense. They managed to beat Houston twice -- anhialated them in the conference tournament with their defense. And Illinois overcame their defense and beat them twice.

I picked the Illini to beat UConn in my bracket so don’t let me down. Love to see an all B1G Championship game.

• Love
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT