ADVERTISEMENT

DJ v Edey

I think Edey is better conditioned, might make sense to run him a bit for some easy ones.

But definitely Burns and NC ST are going to be the darlings and likely will have the crowd on their side.

Would be fun to watch. DJ reminds me of Tre, of which Edey split time with fir two years.

Looks like we will see soon enough. Maybe we can finally send a double digit seed home while we are at it.

Ncst has very good defense that totally shut Dook down. A lot of athletism and experience with NCST. They will be a great challenge.

Looks like we will see soon enough. Maybe we can finally send a double digit seed home while we are at it.

Ncst has very good defense that totally shut Dook down. A lot of athletism and experience with NCST. They will be a great challenge.
I think they have several grad players and if so mature bodies

I doubt either coach puts these guys on eachother. Edey will be a help defender but will defend Middlebrooks or Diarra. Issue with Diarra is he can shoot 3's. But i know painter will want to avoid foul trouble and vice versa.

Reactions: POTFHBTFU
I think edey guards burns and we quickly show a double team. Though all edey has to do is stay strait up. Burns cant elevate.

Edey can tire burns out. Burns probably has never guarded a guy his weight let alone edeys size and def not anyone that posts 100% non stop like edey. Burns plays about 24 to 25 min a game. If he somehow avoids foul trouble, he is going to be sucking wind for sure.

Edeys conditioning may be the best ever of anyone his size

I doubt either coach puts these guys on eachother. Edey will be a help defender but will defend Middlebrooks or Diarra. Issue with Diarra is he can shoot 3's. But i know painter will want to avoid foul trouble and vice versa.
I think Edey stays on DJ because he isn’t a threat from deep. He is dangerous when he is looking to pass but not sure he has the conditioning to keep pace with Zach.

I think Edey stays on DJ because he isn’t a threat from deep. He is dangerous when he is looking to pass but not sure he has the conditioning to keep pace with Zach.
And while he can do these turn around shots on other guys, he wont be able to bounce off edey and just shoot over him with no lift. Edey shouldnt do anything but stand strait up with arms strait up. Just make him have to shoot over his arms from further out than he is used too. He wont be able to back edey down under the basket

Middlebrooks cant shoot either, but you might be right, just dont want Zach in foul trouble. That could be a major issue for NC State, because they only have 3 players even capable of guarding Zach and all 3 log big minutes and are important.

Last edited:
Middlebrooks cant shoot either, but you might be right, just dont want Zach in fowl trouble. That could be a major issue for NC State, because they onnly have 3 players even capable of guarding Zach and all 3 log big minutes and are important.
Yep. Edey has done great not fouling in post ups. Most his fouls have been random accidental ones.

If we want to truly neutralize Burns we shoud have edey guard him and just let him have thr basket if he beats him off the dribble. Just play with tree trunk base and arms strait up.

Then attack the **** out of burns in the post and TKR and Gillis should feast on the boards, edey as well with how little burns rebounds

Reactions: Gemini95
If he is in fowl trouble, it’s the chicken $hit refs fault.

Okay, I’ll see myself out

All time turkey post from Beef.

wheres-the-beef-burger-king.gif

Burns will be able to go for a couple minutes. But he's not in the shape to go with Edey all game. Will probably get in foul trouble pretty early trying to throw his weight around(even though Edey weighs more than he does). So I'm saying it'll probably be pretty easy work for Purdue unless NC State hits 10+ 3s.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Including the regular season, DJ only played 24.7 minutes per game. It's gone up some in the postseason, but he also had 2 games in foul trouble.

Heard some talking heads earlier in the week talking about guarding Edey. Said it wouldn't be a problem for DJ because he would probably just eat him.

• Wow
Reactions: rgarlitz
I think edey guards burns and we quickly show a double team. Though all edey has to do is stay strait up. Burns cant elevate.

Edey can tire burns out. Burns probably has never guarded a guy his weight let alone edeys size and def not anyone that posts 100% non stop like edey. Burns plays about 24 to 25 min a game. If he somehow avoids foul trouble, he is going to be sucking wind for sure.

Edeys conditioning may be the best ever of anyone his size
Might play him straight up

I wonder if Edey having practiced against some very similar (Tre is probs a bit more crafty and more in shape) will benefit us?

Maybe this is the game we try and leverage our depth and have Furst and Berg bang in there for a bit / try to wear DJ out?

I wouldn't start Edey on Burns. Keep Edey foul-free through the first half then see where we are. The chances of us losing go up quickly as Edey gets in foul trouble and I could see Burns bouncing into Edey and maybe getting a call or two. Having Edey free to go after shots at the rim in the 2nd half is valuable.

I wonder if Edey having practiced against some very similar (Tre is probs a bit more crafty and more in shape) will benefit us?

Maybe this is the game we try and leverage our depth and have Furst and Berg bang in there for a bit / try to wear DJ out?
I think that two years of going up against Tre helped a lot against the Utah St big and will help against Burns as well. This will be a mismatch in the post.

I wouldn't start Edey on Burns. Keep Edey foul-free through the first half then see where we are. The chances of us losing go up quickly as Edey gets in foul trouble and I could see Burns bouncing into Edey and maybe getting a call or two. Having Edey free to go after shots at the rim in the 2nd half is valuable.
Problem is their 4 man is quick and can shoot the 3. We need edey camped under the basket on D to help cover on drives.

I think he has shown enough maturity to avoid fouls on burns. We could also keep him on burns but opt for immediate doubles in the post to keep edey both under the basket and out of foul situations

I wonder who comes in to give Edey a breather? I think Furst is our next biggest big at 6’10 230
Same as just about every game. Mostly 3 guys at the 4 and 5 spots with Edey, TKR and Gillis. Furst fell out of the regular rotation months ago.

Reactions: clankhan
Diarra is the (much) better rebounder, but Burns is the go to offensive player in the post for them. It will be interesting to see how we handle it.

I think we should to start and see how it goes
TC4three has the concern for fouls which is legit. I can see either way. The double decreases the odds of Zach picking up fouls, but enhances the potential for rotational problems with either shots at the rim or behind the arc. Playing straight up increases the odds for fouls, but all the other players are covered. Zach has 25 pounds on him and 7 inches at the head and possibly 9 inches in reach or more.

This is where the coaches go through video and make phone calls having several days to get a better feel on his supporting cast and that too will have a weight in how Zach plays D. Burns will want to use his 275 pounds to bump into Zach, but if Zach doesn't reach down and stays completely vertical he can contest Burn's shot like nobody Burns has faced.

If Purdue doubles early and is that with the 4 man or perimeter defender (which you need to know their team better) or certain perimeter defenders that the 3 ball is not a threat and does not cause turnovers as time goes on an Zach with no foul issues expect straight up play by Zach.

We know it being an ACC team it has talent, but we also know that it has not played well most the season or it's seed would have been better. Purdue will watch a lot of conference video I expect since the conference games have coaches that know the other team better and will probably review when, ,who and the effects of doubling him and or playing him straight up. When on O, Zach will probably feel like Sparks (IU) is on him, but on D Burns is a LOT better O than Sparks could imagine.

Purdue has a long time to prepare for both games and does Uconn have a slip and if not, Purdue is that unicorn they face and that matchup between 5s gets very interesting.

Reactions: punaj and TC4THREE
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT