ADVERTISEMENT

Disappointed, but looking forward to next year

GodFamilyCountryPurdue

All-American
Aug 5, 2014
I predicted us to finish in the top 5 of the B1G and make a nice run in the tournament before the season started. We are a very talented team, but we are young. We had ups and downs like I thought we would. We had too many downs, but that's the way it goes. I'm very disappointed at how we peed down our leg to end the season. It would be easier to take if it was the freshmen that blew it, but unfortunately it was our leaders...Octeus and Davis. Davis is my favorite player, but I hated seeing him miss his free throws and continue to lob his post passes. Octeus just had a flat out bad game. He had some nice hustle plays, but that was about it. What makes it harder to swallow is how we choked away the OSU and MSU games to end the year, as well.

I am looking forward to next year, though. I think we'll be fine without Octeus. I liked watching Dakota bring the ball up the court, tonight. I believe Hammons will be back (he should come back). We'll have everyone else back (+ Cline and Taylor), and maybe how the end of the year played out will make us more hungry. If Hammons comes back, we have no excuses not to finish in the top 3 of the B1G and be ranked for most of the year.

It was a fun and painful season. Here's looking to a great summer and a better football season.

Boiler Up!!!

1) We need 2 of the 3 to step up and be a consistant 3 pt shooter between DM, KS and Cline.
2) Haas needs to be more aggressive and stop shooting fade away jumpers. He's 7'2 and 300#.... Go through them.
3) we need a PG, don't think Pj or Scott are the answer.
4) ft shooting needs to be 70%+ next year.
5) Davis needs to stop disappearing in games
6) Edwards needs to step up like he did tonight, needs to be the go to guy. He can take over games like Russell did for OSU.
7) Hammons needs to develop an outside shot.

You are not allowed to feel like this program is moving in the right direction otherwise you are wearing gold colored glasses and not willing to accept reality of the loss tonight

I will be SHOCKED if next year is better. Guys don't usually get better under CMP (see Stephens who regressed this year, AJH who has remained about the same for 3 years, Bade who never progressed, etc.). We add very little talent and lose our best PG. We won't be in the NCAA tournament next year.

Originally posted by *4purdue*:
1) We need 2 of the 3 to step up and be a consistant 3 pt shooter between DM, KS and Cline.
2) Haas needs to be more aggressive and stop shooting fade away jumpers. He's 7'2 and 300#.... Go through them.
3) we need a PG, don't think Pj or Scott are the answer.
4) ft shooting needs to be 70%+ next year.
5) Davis needs to stop disappearing in games
6) Edwards needs to step up like he did tonight, needs to be the go to guy. He can take over games like Russell did for OSU.
7) Hammons needs to develop an outside shot.
1) I agree and think it will happen.
2) I agree, but I also understand it was very hard for him to adapt to the officiating. When he did play with power a foul was called.
3) I think we'll be ok. That's one good thing about Painter's offense.
4) yep
5) yep
6) yep
7) Meh. If he can become consistent at mid range like JJ did, he'll be deadly.

Originally posted by cprh9u:

I will be SHOCKED if next year is better. Guys don't usually get better under CMP (see Stephens who regressed this year, AJH who has remained about the same for 3 years, Bade who never progressed, etc.). We add very little talent and lose our best PG. We won't be in the NCAA tournament next year.
i completely agree that our player development sucks. Just look at LewJack, RyneSmith, DJ Byrd, RayDay.

Originally posted by Cevol03:

i completely agree that our player development sucks. Just look at LewJack, RyneSmith, DJ Byrd, RayDay.

Don't forget JJ winning POY, he was that good when he came to Purdue. Emotional posts are the best haha
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Hammons has remained about the same? Haha. Okay. Go to bed.

Posted from Rivals Mobile

Stephens regressed this year? Tonight's game isn't in the stats yet, but with 2 more MPG this season,

He averaged 8.8 PPG (8.0 last season)
He shot 35.5% from the field (35.6% last season)
He shot 39.6% from 3pt (37.0% last season)
2.3 RPG (1.8 last season)
1.7 APG (0.8 last season)
0.3 BPG (0.4)
0.4 SPG (0.4)1.2 TO/G (0.7)

Maybe he didn't take a big step forward in his soph year (don't forget the finger issue), but it doesn't appear he regressed to me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT