ADVERTISEMENT

Come On Ingram!

I feel like this is going to end up as one of those situations where we're there til the end of his recruitment, but he ends up choosing somewhere else. The fact they said his decision would be fall at the earliest i feel works against us. But who knows..

Recruiting is a tough gig. There isn't only "one" school that makes sense for almost any recruit. A recruit like this would probably be happy at a number of different schools, they all have positives to offer. But in the end, they can only pick 1. The odds are certainly not stacked in your favor.

I feel like this is going to end up as one of those situations where we're there til the end of his recruitment, but he ends up choosing somewhere else. The fact they said his decision would be fall at the earliest i feel works against us. But who knows..

On the plus side, with everything dead right now with recruiting and no AAU events, Ingram is not being noticed by other schools and taking other visits. Purdue has had him in multiple times in the past and sat near the top of his list if not the leader right before the shutdown began. A good place to be with a guy with the current situation.

On the plus side, with everything dead right now with recruiting and no AAU events, Ingram is not being noticed by other schools and taking other visits. Purdue has had him in multiple times in the past and sat near the top of his list if not the leader right before the shutdown began. A good place to be with a guy with the current situation.

It also helps that Painter is as up front as it gets, so what you see from the Purdue program is what you are going to get. Some other programs might need to do more "selling" or recruits might need a really good visit(s) to sort through all of the BS.

Reactions: Zaphod_B and BBG
It also helps that Painter is as up front as it gets, so what you see from the Purdue program is what you are going to get. Some other programs might need to do more "selling" or recruits might need a really good visit(s) to sort through all of the BS.

I'd disagree here. Not that Painter doesn't sell BS. But that it "helps" in recruiting. These are 17 year olds we're talking about, not 35 year old seasoned professionals.

Obviously in some cases it's probably easy to see through or doesn't come across as genuine. And some people are simply just more mature, or have parents around them that can point it out.

There was a survey done by the NCAA on college athletes and it showed a huge inflation of reality when it comes to playing professionally. It found 52% of Division 1 football players thought it was likely they'd play in the NFL. And 75% of Division 1 basketball players thought it was likely they'd play basketball professionally (and 50% of Division 2!).

I'd disagree here. Not that Painter doesn't sell BS. But that it "helps" in recruiting. These are 17 year olds we're talking about, not 35 year old seasoned professionals.
Did you miss the comments about CMP by Morton and Furst? Seemed to help immensely with both.

Reactions: Zaphod_B

Are you actually a former player for Painter?
I ask because we often hear that Painter tells recruits only the truth, take it or leave it, but in reality, unless we're the recruit himself, and especially if we're a very highly targeted recruit who Painter is competing with other top P5 programs for, we have NO idea what he tells a recruit. I would also be willing to bet that the conversations Painter has with a recruit and his family might be a little bit different than the conversations he has when it's just the player himself.
It's been argued that Painter is a decent recruiter, not a great recruiter. But, I think he's also improved his recruiting, to a certain extent, over the last 4-6 years. So, maybe he's made some adjustments, or maybe it's that he's had some talent on the floor that's demonstrated Painter can get guys to the NBA.

Obviously in some cases it's probably easy to see through or doesn't come across as genuine. And some people are simply just more mature, or have parents around them that can point it out.

There was a survey done by the NCAA on college athletes and it showed a huge inflation of reality when it comes to playing professionally. It found 52% of Division 1 football players thought it was likely they'd play in the NFL. And 75% of Division 1 basketball players thought it was likely they'd play basketball professionally (and 50% of Division 2!).

I'm not sure I'd call that "a huge inflation of reality."

Most accomplished athletes have goals, as well as a strong belief in themselves. They've also had "influencers" around them that have helped develop that mindset. That right there defines most D1 athletes.

In fact, that type of belief isn't limited to playing professionally. At the younger ages that same mindset exists when it relates to getting a college scholarship.

There are a lot of people in society who don't understand that mentality/mindset.

I'm not sure I'd call that "a huge inflation of reality."

Most accomplished athletes have goals, as well as a strong belief in themselves. They've also had "influencers" around them that have helped develop that mindset. That right there defines most D1 athletes.

In fact, that type of belief isn't limited to playing professionally. At the younger ages that same mindset exists when it relates to getting a college scholarship.

There are a lot of people in society who don't understand that mentality/mindset.

I mean, there's goals and there's reality.

Less than 2% of Division 1 football players ever are associated with the NFL (not even play a full season).

You can still have a goal of doing something but not think it's "likely" to happen.

The stat that really stood out was D2 - 50% of D2 basketball players think it's likely they'll play pro?

But I totally get your point -- and who knows how "scientific" responses are -- you can interpret how any question is asked. I don't think you can logically argue that an inflation of reality does not exist with many athletes (and of course it does from many different angles....but thinking you're going pro because your dad told you you are good enough for 10 years...doesn't make the lack of reality any less). I think this is also heavily surrounding the players getting paid thing -- these players are told they bring in millions for the university, you should get a piece.

Overall, what you often see is that going pro overshadows the fact that 98%+ of these athletes will depend on their degree and to deflect the importance of that is a mistake.

By the way, most sports were similar -- basketball was the one that was noticeably inflated.

Last edited:
Did you miss the comments about CMP by Morton and Furst? Seemed to help immensely with both.

No, not at all! This is where I referenced:

There are recruits that it is important to. Would I say it's a vast majority? No, and definitely not when you're talking top 50 players.

Back in college, I had a buddy who played a sport. They were told "you're our guy" when being recruited over and over by the coach. Shows up to campus (pre-internet recruiting commitment databases) and there's 2 other freshmen at his same position, along with 2 others on the roster already. So 5 players were told "you're our guy" when in reality only 1 of them would be.

And it's not to say that he chose Purdue because of the "smoke", there were other reasons. But it certainly helped him make the choice.

Going back to the Baby Boilers - people often fault Painter for not following that class with other good recruits. I think one of the problem was for 2 years (the Baby Boilers senior year in HS, then the first full year), you had 4 top 100 guys as freshman, 3 of them starting...and Painter was probably not about to say to other recruits "yeah, you're our guy" when there were 3 likely four year starters out on the court (plus obviously Martins decision didn't come until later). A selling point of "yeah, come to Purdue and you can try to earn some minutes over the next couple years" isn't terribly strong -- or even we need to add another guy alongside these 3 -- well, you aren't going to be "the guy".

Less than 2% of Division 1 football players ever are associated with the NFL (not even play a full season).

You can still have a goal of doing something but not think it's "likely" to happen.

The stat that really stood out was D2 - 50% of D2 basketball players think it's likely they'll play pro?

But I totally get your point -- and who knows how "scientific" responses are -- you can interpret how any question is asked. I don't think you can logically argue that an inflation of reality does not exist with many athletes (and of course it does from many different angles....but thinking you're going pro because your dad told you you are good enough for 10 years...doesn't make the lack of reality any less). I think this is also heavily surrounding the players getting paid thing -- these players are told they bring in millions for the university, you should get a piece.

Overall, what you often see is that going pro overshadows the fact that 98%+ of these athletes will depend on their degree and to deflect the importance of that is a mistake.

By the way, most sports were similar -- basketball was the one that was noticeably inflated.

Yes, there is reality. I get what you're saying, but you're approaching it with a detached POV... a 'realist' POV, if you will.

The reality is, many of these athletes believe they're going to succeed... they believe they're good enough to make it... as they should. You cannot "kinda" believe in your abilities. For many, either you're "all in" or you're not.

I bet the percentage of B1G basketball players who play pro somewhere are pretty high. I personally know 2 guys who played in Europe that were at levels below the B1G in college. There are just a TON of professional basketball opportunities across the globe.

But to your point, they both are now relying on their college degrees. Neither made enough playing to retire on.

Are you actually a former player for Painter?
I ask because we often hear that Painter tells recruits only the truth, take it or leave it, but in reality, unless we're the recruit himself, and especially if we're a very highly targeted recruit who Painter is competing with other top P5 programs for, we have NO idea what he tells a recruit. I would also be willing to bet that the conversations Painter has with a recruit and his family might be a little bit different than the conversations he has when it's just the player himself.
It's been argued that Painter is a decent recruiter, not a great recruiter. But, I think he's also improved his recruiting, to a certain extent, over the last 4-6 years. So, maybe he's made some adjustments, or maybe it's that he's had some talent on the floor that's demonstrated Painter can get guys to the NBA.

Isnt that in almost every video of one of our recruits? They almost always mention how he doesn't guarantee anything and says they still have to earn their minutes? I didnt think what I said was that crazy considering everything we have seen from him and heard from players over the years. Im just saying Purdue is a known commodity in my opinion. You know what playing here is going to entail.

Isnt that in almost every video of one of our recruits? They almost always mention how he doesn't guarantee anything and says they still have to earn their minutes? I didnt think what I said was that crazy considering everything we have seen from him and heard from players over the years. Im just saying Purdue is a known commodity in my opinion. You know what playing here is going to entail.

My comments are not directed at bonfish at all, but there is a vocal minority here who don't believe a d@mn thing Painter or the players say on this topic.

(Painter and the players) are all d@mn liars, and are conspiring to advance that narrative.

:rolleyes:

If we are going after the big time recruits, they will also have other schools that are known commodities. Most of those schools have a better history both on the court and getting players to the league. Painter may be honest and tell it like it is to recruits, but that may also be why we hardly ever land top 50 recruits.

If we are going after the big time recruits, they will also have other schools that are known commodities. Most of those schools have a better history both on the court and getting players to the league. Painter may be honest and tell it like it is to recruits, but that may also be why we hardly ever land top 50 recruits.
Don’t necessarily disagree with your post. However, I think I should point out that some of these coaches make a big deal out of getting a top 20 OAD player into the NBA. Kind of like walking out in the morning each day and saying...” hey look, I made the sun rise!”

Don’t necessarily disagree with your post. However, I think I should point out that some of these coaches make a big deal out of getting a top 20 OAD player into the NBA. Kind of like walking out in the morning each day and saying...” hey look, I made the sun rise!”
I agree that top talent will likely go pro no matter what. I don’t at all blame those coaches for pumping up that they got those players to the pros even if it isn’t necessarily true. That’s great salesmanship in my opinion.

Fair enough. I think Painters history, stability and the fact that we aren’t caught up in a scandal might be favorable in a time where you can’t visit every place you want to.

I think there's a lot of blanket statements about "why" something happens when in reality there's a real mix or reasons.

Some of the best recruiting classes in the last couple years have included Oklahoma State, USC, Stanford, Arizona State, Ole Miss, Rutgers, Mississippi State, Memphis...not exactly NBA factories.

In general, the Big Ten hasn't landed a lot of elite talent.

2020: 1 five star player
2019: 0 five star players
2018: 3 five star players
2017: 1 five star player

Doesn't every recruit say that when they're being recruited, regardless of who the coach is?
They're all told they have to earn their minutes and there's no guarantees.

Who was the last player who said "Yeh, Coach Calipari promised me I'd be the starting PG on day 1, that I wouldn't have to work on defense and I could do whatever I wanted with the ball in my hands."

Doesn't every recruit say that when they're being recruited, regardless of who the coach is?
They're all told they have to earn their minutes and there's no guarantees.

Who was the last player who said "Yeh, Coach Calipari promised me I'd be the starting PG on day 1, that I wouldn't have to work on defense and I could do whatever I wanted with the ball in my hands."
Pitino reportedly promised Jamaal Magloire he would start.

Reactions: Boilermaker24
Pitino also hired strippers for his recruits...

That was a rogue assistant, Andre McGee, who had no authority to do so.....

~ S.R. Pitino

DisloyalUnlinedBluetickcoonhound-max-1mb.gif.9aed24bc98e0d5d2aaa22a0c610e1a73.gif

It looks like Michigan offered Ingram yesterday. Not sure if they become a player or not for him now.

Hope this does not become another Dickinson scenario where they in late in the recruiting process, and they end up getting him.
I think the possible difference is we have Ivey, Morton and Furst for now on board. Those 3 played with him and have most likely have been in contact with him. This is where recruiting does help and hopefully starts a trend for us. We know what we have in CMP and when balance it out with good to very good recruits..... dangerous.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I think the possible difference is we have Ivey, Morton and Furst for now on board. Those 3 played with him and have most likely have been in contact with him. This is where recruiting does help and hopefully starts a trend for us. We know what we have in CMP and when balance it out with good to very good recruits..... dangerous.
Dickerson was dropping in ranking when he committed to Mi. He will be another lunky center in their 3pt shooting offense. Ingram is legit and I am as worried about losing him to the pros as I am to another school

Reactions: oldboiler52
Not really he has received offers in the past week alone from NC , FS and Michigan set to announce top 10 at 6pm tonight .

Painter reportedly did the same with Swanigan.
Until Furst signs that dotted line, I don't want to assume anything. Yes, I think he will stick with his commitment.
I wouldn't worry his word is good by all accounts . He could have played the whole look at me game if he wanted too . The problem with those who collect offers is its a distraction from your end game . Smart players stay focused on what they can do to make themselves better and stick with the work . Extremely grounded young man IMO .

I wouldn't worry his word is good by all accounts . He could have played the whole look at me game if he wanted too . The problem with those who collect offers is its a distraction from your end game . Smart players stay focused on what they can do to make themselves better and stick with the work . Extremely grounded young man IMO .
Yes, has a grounded family as well.

Reactions: oldboiler52
Well we made his top 10 but that’s no surprise. My question is....if Michigan wanted this kid why wait to offer until the day before he cuts his list? Don’t fall for that crap Harrison!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT