ADVERTISEMENT

Camille Redmond

GemstateBoiler

All-American
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2006
Interesting that her new team, Boise State, made it into the NCAA tournament yesterday. She has had a couple decent games this year but overall just a role player off the bench.

Redmon. I do think if she had stayed for another year, it would have helped us a lot. Tall shot blockers aren't exactly a dime a dozen.
This post was edited on 3/14 5:01 PM by boilerluv

I am not sure that I would agree that she was "just a role player off the bench." Although she was not a "star", based on her stats, her role was more than just coming off the bench for a few minutes a game.

She started 28 of 31 games. She did only average 18.1 minutes per game, but her coach obviously liked depth and a long bench, as 10 players on her team averaged double minutes of playing time.

She averaged 6.4 points per game, which was 5th on her team. Clearly her role as a starter was not to be the leading scorer.

She led her team in rebounds with 6.7 per game (pretty good in 18.1 minutes of playing time). Extrapolated to a 27 minute game, she would have averaged double digit rebounds.

Where she really stood out was in shot blocking (no surprise). On the year, she had 75 blocked shots, which led her team by far, and was 2nd in the Mountain West Conference. Her average per game of 2.4 blocks was 3rd in the conference, 0.1 behind a player who had one fewer blocks in one fewer games.

Considering all of this, she not only helped her NCAA-Tourney-bound new team significantly, but I think that she also could have been a significant help to Purdue, which not only finished dead last in the conference but seemed to be at its worst when either of its two starting front court players went to the bench.

This post was edited on 3/16 10:14 AM by oldgoldandblack

This post was edited on 3/16 10:30 PM by oldgoldandblack

It is funny the small difference a single player can make. Let's say Camille remained on the team and blocked her average of 2.4 shots per game. That is about 5 points. Let's say those blocked shots happened during the regulation period. That alone, would have given us 8 more victories. 19-12 looks a lot better than 11-20, eh?

Of course, this type of analysis is flawed. How about the points scored by whoever replaced her? What would the other team have done differenctly if Camille had started instead of someone else? There are simply too many variable to make a "what if" analysis worthwihile. It is fun though. It does show that the margin between a good team and a poor team is pretty thin.

5 more points might have given us a victory against Minny in the BTT too.

Success breeds success. If the team won more often, they would have had more fight and more confidence, and hence played better down the stretch.

cool.r191677.gif

Yep after looking at this you are right, she did start a bunch of games. When you see the box scores for the games, it appears she didn't due to the lack of minutes played. That said, she only played 21 minutes in the last two games in the final conference tournament game and the NCAA first round ( 9 and 12) and they still did well. So you can "stat" this but I don't think she was the factor that put them over the top. She would have helped us with the circumstances we had but she has never played a bunch of minutes so I think it would have helped but not to a major W/L factor that we needed this year. I still feel our guard play was our biggest weakness.
This post was edited on 3/22 7:13 AM by GemstateBoiler

Originally posted by mathboy:
It is funny the small difference a single player can make. Let's say Camille remained on the team and blocked her average of 2.4 shots per game. That is about 5 points. Let's say those blocked shots happened during the regulation period. That alone, would have given us 8 more victories. 19-12 looks a lot better than 11-20, eh?

Of course, this type of analysis is flawed. How about the points scored by whoever replaced her? What would the other team have done differenctly if Camille had started instead of someone else? There are simply too many variable to make a "what if" analysis worthwihile. It is fun though. It does show that the margin between a good team and a poor team is pretty thin.

Success breeds success. If the team won more often, they would have had more fight and more confidence, and hence played better down the stretch.

cool.r191677.gif

Okay. I see your point but it's flawed as you say but for another reason. When a block is made you don't know who rebounds after the block. Also if it goes out of bounce, it's still their ball. The 5 points may be better estimated as 2.5 to be more accurate as 50/50 probability. I catch your drift though that winning and losing can be changed for minor reasons.

Originally posted by GemstateBoiler:

Originally posted by mathboy:

cool.r191677.gif

Okay. I see your point but it's flawed as you say but for another reason. When a block is made you don't know who rebounds after the block. Also if it goes out of bounce, it's still their ball. The 5 points may be better estimated as 2.5 to be more accurate as 50/50 probability. I catch your drift though that winning and losing can be changed for minor reasons.
You are absolutely correct, GemState. I agree with your argument about blocks being a 50-50 play. .

I guess there are a hundred little things that would have made a difference this year. In some respects, this past season reminds me of the season the men's team had a couple years back. They were just too thin and too under-talented, and finished poorly as far as the win/loss record. They were in a lot of games, but had too little gas in the tank to win the close ones. My hope is that this incoming freshman class will have an impact on the team equivalent to the men's team, and the girls start to climb back to the top.

cool.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT