ADVERTISEMENT

Bryson Scott

No, I haven't. On this board, there has been significant speculation as to why Scott didn't play much this season. Some on here seem to think that Painter is to blame somehow. It's as if players are never to be held accountable for themselves. It's as if Purdue didn't have huge team chemistry issues the two seasons prior.

I'm not saying that Scott's situation is similar to RJ's - it's not. I believe Scott is fairly well-liked by his teammates. Oftentimes, Scott has been his own worst enemy. He needs to grow up some more and make better decisions on the court, in practice, and off the court. It's always been up to him.

I'm not going specify what I've been told - it's not my place to do it and betray the trust placed in me.

Originally posted by SDBoiler1:

No, I haven't. On this board, there has been significant speculation as to why Scott didn't play much this season. Some on here seem to think that Painter is to blame somehow. It's as if players are never to be held accountable for themselves. It's as if Purdue didn't have huge team chemistry issues the two seasons prior.

I'm not saying that Scott's situation is similar to RJ's - it's not. I believe Scott is fairly well-liked by his teammates. Oftentimes, Scott has been his own worst enemy. He needs to grow up some more and make better decisions on the court, in practice, and off the court. It's always been up to him.

I'm not going specify what I've been told - it's not my place to do it and betray the trust placed in me.
So just how are you related to The Krunk????

So, as Heller indicated, none of this is "gospel." You are just making up crap.

This post was edited on 3/26 8:45 AM by Inspector100

So because you SAY you have a source we should believe that there are problems. You do realize the number of people who make that claim and end up being FOS is far above those who actually have a source. And if you did wouldn't he be upset you said anything? Again either post specifics or I'll believe it's just your opinion. Just like my comment that I expect him to transfer is simply an observation based on what a lot of kids who don't play seem to do.

Originally posted by Heller:
So because you SAY you have a source we should believe that there are problems. You do realize the number of people who make that claim and end up being FOS is far above those who actually have a source. And if you did wouldn't he be upset you said anything? Again either post specifics or I'll believe it's just your opinion. Just like my comment that I expect him to transfer is simply an observation based on what a lot of kids who don't play seem to do.
SI Boiler's comments fit exactly what I would suspect is the issue here. I don't need further corraberation on this, nor do I care about the exact source and the exact incident(s).

Painter has an analytical and some what cold approach to who plays. He doesn't "hate" or "love" certian players. He let's their practice influence their opportunities. if Bryson is not playing, it related directly to his behavior in practice and with the team.

If I were SI, I would just ignore your probs for further information. I don't care if others have clained inside sources and it's been shown to be lies. I'll respect his position for now. He has posted often and is not making a wild claim. What he says makes sense, and he has already said he would not give you further data. This is not worth picking a fight with him..

cool.r191677.gif

This is what I love about mathboy. Don't anybody DARE say anything bad about the adult who gets paid millions of dollars a year. Instead, feel free to bad mouth kids who "only" get a free education.

Originally posted by GodFamilyCountryPurdue:
This is what I love about mathboy. Don't anybody DARE say anything bad about the adult who gets paid millions of dollars a year. Instead, feel free to bad mouth kids who "only" get a free education.
This is what I love about the ignore feature. Just one too many from someone and bang your gone!!!

You and SI Boiler can both shove it. Not making this up.

If you guys have all the answers then explain why Scott was kicked out of practice during the middle of the season and then didn't play hardly at all for some games. He then got to play against IU (at home) and did well. Over the next few games, his minutes went down consistently once again, only for him to reappear against IU at IU. As the season went on PJT basically took all of his minutes. Why is that?

If players don't take care of business in the classroom, in practice, and on the court, Painter won't play them, especially after what happened with the RJ fiasco (which I also highlighted on this board last year, despite jackasses like you saying I didn't know anything). RJ was a cancer on the team, and this year's decent turnaround should be no surprise once the cancer was removed.

Scott is a different case than RJ. Don't even try to say that I think Scott and RJ's situations are similar. They are not - Scott and RJ are very different people with different circles of people around them.

You know, this is a really f-ed up response to my post. I think you took it all wrong. I just said SI Boiler has a reason to not reveal his source, because his explanation is neither outlandish nor unexpected.

Okay, so why do you think Bryson did not play in the last couple games? What is your explanation? Do you think Painter just has a GRUDGE of some osrt? Why would Painter even have a grudge? Are you assuming Bryson is without blame?

Lay it out there God & Family. Tell us what your issue is with my assumptions. Don't mix salary dollars in there as they are just smoke you are thowing around..

cool.r191677.gif

If you guys have all the answers then explain why Scott was kicked out of practice during the middle of the season and then didn't play hardly at all for some games. He then got to play against IU (at home) and did well. Over the next few games, his minutes went down consistently once again, only for him to reappear against IU at IU. As the season went on PJT basically took all of his minutes. Why is that?

If players don't take care of business in the classroom, in practice, and on the court, Painter won't play them, especially after what happened with the RJ fiasco (which I also highlighted on this board last year, despite jackasses like you saying I didn't know anything). RJ was a cancer on the team, and this year's decent turnaround should be no surprise once the cancer was removed.

Scott is a different case than RJ. Don't even try to say that I think Scott and RJ's situations are similar. They are not - Scott and RJ are very different people with different circles of people around them.
Funny, the team and players don't seem to have the problems with Bryson that you allude to. I do know that Bryson is hardly the first, nor will he be the last kid that Painter kicks out of practice. Happens way more often than you think. Which immediately makes me wonder if you actually know anything at all. For the record, did your "source" tell you that Bryson never actually left the practice he was "kicked out of"? Did you know that?

I'm not doubting there is a disconnect between Painter and Scott, that's pretty obvious. But all this speculation that he is somehow a "bad" kid off the court is not backed up by one single fact.

I'm sure you "source" is unimpeachable and you'll tell us all what you already know after we know it which is why I believe you are related to the Krunk!!! Same MO!!!

Originally posted by mathboy:

You know, this is a really f-ed up response to my post. I think you took it all wrong. I just said SI Boiler has a reason to not reveal his source, because his explanation is neither outlandish nor unexpected.

Okay, so why do you think Bryson did not play in the last couple games? What is your explanation?
Do you think Painter just has a GRUDGE of some osrt?
Why would Painter even have a grudge?
Are you assuming Bryson is without blame?

Lay it out there God & Family. Tell us what your issue is with my assumptions. Don't mix salary dollars in there as they are just smoke you are thowing around..

cool.r191677.gif
You HAVE been quite defensive of anyone that has criticized CMP over the last couple of years, mathboy. He's not wrong in that assertion. You put a STFU in one of your responses to a post I made about Painter about a year ago, so don't try to act like you are always a reasonable poster. Many other times you will call someone a troll if you don't agree with them. Most of us that are not blindly loyal to the coaching staff have seen these kind of retorts frequently enough from you and purdue4sure (the other poster that comes to mind) over the past year or so to come to the conclusion that you're arguably too touchy about anyone criticizing them.

I think some people are making this more complicated than it is. I happened to be listening to the Matt Painter radio show after the home game against Illinois (or, as I like to call it - the Larry Clisby show because sadly, Larry spends more time telling us what HE thinks, rather then moderating the program so that we can hear more from Coach . . . I would love to do an analysis of comparative amounts of air time for those two on the Matt Painter Show . . . I'll take more from Cliz over random fans, but as between Cliz and Coach, I want more from Coach and less from Cliz . . . but I digress). As you may recall, PJ played in that second Illinois game . . . and played well . . . after not playing at all for several games before that game. A caller asked Coach about the decision to play PJ. MP started by explaining that when he reviewed the tape of the earlier Illinois game he saw that PJ did some good things and that, basically, he thought due to the match ups he thought PJ would have some success against Illinois. MP then started talking on a more macro basis on the issue of back up point guard minutes. I am paraphrasing here, but this is what I recall him saying -

First, MP said that his decisions regarding the back up point guard this year were the most difficult personnel decisions he had all year. He then explained that he started the year playing 3 PGs. Late in the non-conference portion of the schedule he came to several conclusions. One, playing 3 PGs (absent foul trouble) was one too many. Two, JO had separated himself and JO needed to play the bulk of the minutes. He said then, and I've seen him quoted elsewhere saying the same thing, that not playing JO the bulk of the PG minutes earlier probably lead to the two bad non-conference losses. Back to Bryson and PJ, Coach then explained that, again, he decided that he could only play one of them as the primary back up to JO and, neither one of them really separated themselves. He said both were good players, both worked hard in practice and, when given the opportunity to play . . . both did some things well . . . but neither one was able to consistently do well over a longer stretch. And, they did not necessarily do the same thing well (i.e. one was a better defender, the other was a better outside shooter, etc.) So, when one started to not do well, or based on particular matchups or needs, he went to the other one . . . who played well for a while, then not so much . . . so he went back to the other one. Repeat. Again.

Others that were listening may have heard him differently. That's what I heard. And from what I observed by watching every minute of every game this year . . . it makes sense to me. I personally don't think it goes any deeper. I will take Coach at his word. He likes both players. Both players are good kids who work hard. Both players need to work hard this off season to get better and more consistent. The fact that one did not play for several games in a row does not mean he was the dog house. He felt he could only play one in those backup PG minutes, neither one separated themselves and their skills were complementary. Period.

Did I EVER say that the players have any problems with Bryson? In fact, I said before that he is generally well-liked by his teammates. Some of them wish he wasn't so headstrong and wish he would listen more intently to what the coaches want out of him, but the reactions you saw from his teammates and the assistant coaches after the IU games tell you quite a bit - they are pulling for him.

You do realize that he did not practice with the team that day after what happened, right? In essence he was "kicked out". He also had to run "extra" so maybe that's why he didn't leave the facility right away?

You can call it "speculation", but in my book facts told by people "inside the walls" trump anything you have to say about it.

Bryson may not be a bad kid, but he doesn't always make the best decisions. Truth by told, lots of college-aged kids make bad decisions, but when student athletes do it, things often get magnified considerably more than for normal students, such as in this case.

Originally posted by BoilerFamily:
I think some people are making this more complicated than it is. I happened to be listening to the Matt Painter radio show after the home game against Illinois (or, as I like to call it - the Larry Clisby show because sadly, Larry spends more time telling us what HE thinks, rather then moderating the program so that we can hear more from Coach . . . I would love to do an analysis of comparative amounts of air time for those two on the Matt Painter Show . . . I'll take more from Cliz over random fans, but as between Cliz and Coach, I want more from Coach and less from Cliz . . . but I digress). As you may recall, PJ played in that second Illinois game . . . and played well . . . after not playing at all for several games before that game. A caller asked Coach about the decision to play PJ. MP started by explaining that when he reviewed the tape of the earlier Illinois game he saw that PJ did some good things and that, basically, he thought due to the match ups he thought PJ would have some success against Illinois. MP then started talking on a more macro basis on the issue of back up point guard minutes. I am paraphrasing here, but this is what I recall him saying -

First, MP said that his decisions regarding the back up point guard this year were the most difficult personnel decisions he had all year. He then explained that he started the year playing 3 PGs. Late in the non-conference portion of the schedule he came to several conclusions. One, playing 3 PGs (absent foul trouble) was one too many. Two, JO had separated himself and JO needed to play the bulk of the minutes. He said then, and I've seen him quoted elsewhere saying the same thing, that not playing JO the bulk of the PG minutes earlier probably lead to the two bad non-conference losses. Back to Bryson and PJ, Coach then explained that, again, he decided that he could only play one of them as the primary back up to JO and, neither one of them really separated themselves. He said both were good players, both worked hard in practice and, when given the opportunity to play . . . both did some things well . . . but neither one was able to consistently do well over a longer stretch. And, they did not necessarily do the same thing well (i.e. one was a better defender, the other was a better outside shooter, etc.) So, when one started to not do well, or based on particular matchups or needs, he went to the other one . . . who played well for a while, then not so much . . . so he went back to the other one. Repeat. Again.

Others that were listening may have heard him differently. That's what I heard. And from what I observed by watching every minute of every game this year . . . it makes sense to me. I personally don't think it goes any deeper. I will take Coach at his word. He likes both players. Both players are good kids who work hard. Both players need to work hard this off season to get better and more consistent. The fact that one did not play for several games in a row does not mean he was the dog house. He felt he could only play one in those backup PG minutes, neither one separated themselves and their skills were complementary. Period.
Yes, I heard the same show and you basically hit this point accurately. I feel the show was pretty good and hearing Larry and CMP discuss the games and the team was pretty cool for me. Made an hour fly by. I became disappointed when calls were taken because the question or comment was patronizing or the question was pretty stupid. But you are right. Larry talks a lot.

I personally love the fire in his belly, and if he plays through his senior year it will likely mean he will have finally realized his potential and will graduate a pretty good player. My hope is that he makes the same leap RD did leading into his junior year. As to Bryson's character there was a really good article on how his twin brother finally flipped the switch and became more receptive to his coach. While most of these posts are simply guesses, it is not a great leap to figure BS is also going through a painful maturing process...even without any tangible evidence. He is just a few years removed from high school where he had struggles with his emotions as well. Too many people live in an instant food world when good meals take some time to prepare. Impact talent and ratings have spoiled the mystery of watching a player like Frank the tank mutate from a bench player to a stud. I'm not suggesting that will be Scott's arc...but it wouldn't surprise me to see him have a tremendous senior year if he can figure things out.

Originally posted by nagemj02:
You put a STFU in one of your responses to a post I made about Painter about a year ago, so don't try to act like you are always a reasonable poster. Many other times you will call someone a troll if you don't agree with them. Most of us that are not blindly loyal to the coaching staff have seen these kind of retorts frequently enough from you and purdue4sure (the other poster that comes to mind) over the past year or so to come to the conclusion that you're arguably too touchy[/B] about anyone criticizing them.
Touchy? Well, since you dragged me into this, I have to wonder about someone who is still complaining about something they were told a year ago on an anonymous message board. For the life of me, I can't imagine what crime I committed against you that you would call me out here.

Oh wait. Was it because I pointed out that you, rather than address points made, tend to mischaracterize positions that oppose yours? Naw, you wouldn't do that.

Did I EVER say that the players have any problems with Bryson? In fact, I said before that he is generally well-liked by his teammates. Some of them wish he wasn't so headstrong and wish he would listen more intently to what the coaches want out of him, but the reactions you saw from his teammates and the assistant coaches after the IU games tell you quite a bit - they are pulling for him.

You do realize that he did not practice with the team that day after what happened, right? In essence he was "kicked out". He also had to run "extra" so maybe that's why he didn't leave the facility right away?

You can call it "speculation", but in my book facts told by people "inside the walls" trump anything you have to say about it.

Bryson may not be a bad kid, but he doesn't always make the best decisions. Truth by told, lots of college-aged kids make bad decisions, but when student athletes do it, things often get magnified considerably more than for normal students, such as in this case.
Did you specifically say it? No. Did you allude to "off the court problems"? Yes, yes you did. The problem you seem to want to hide behind is simply that until you say something specific, I simply put you in the category of spreading rumors due to some "source" you fail to identify. You don't even say if it is some assistant, a manager, the towel collector, or the janitor. IOW, I've read this stuff before and it hasn't been true then, and it probably isn't true now. If you don't like that then post specifics as to what the "problems" you allude to are. Otherwise, stop hinting at what the decision is concerning Scott.

I'm not about to betray the trust of my friend, regardless of how many times you try to hammer it out of me, either. If I tell you what my friend does, you'll immediately know who it is. You aren't owed that.

If you want to stick your head in the sand and believe there is nothing to what I've said, that's certainly your right. It's also my right to tell you you're wrong.

For his sake, I hope Bryson gets things sorted out, works hard on his game this offseason, wins the starting PG job, and plays awesome next season.

For his sake, I hope Bryson gets things sorted out, works hard on his game this offseason, wins the starting PG job, and plays awesome next season.
I am going to +1000 this part. Purdue and Bryson will both be better off if this happens.

However, I do still worry Bryson might leave because of the risk he won't get things sorted out (in CMP's opinion), and thus he will not get much PT again as a junior. I am pretty sure Bryson wants to play rather than sit, and there are places where he could play.

Wow, really saying that Kendall didn't dhoot well freshman year? 37% is very respectable. And comparing his fresh year to Dakotas who shot 32% from 3? Let's not let facts get in the way. Kendall may not have played well the 2nd half of the season, but to say he regressed is ridiculous. His defense Alone got a lot better.

Re: Bryson Scott
SDBoiler1 posted on 3/27/2015...
I'm not about to betray the trust of my friend, regardless of how many times you try to hammer it out of me, either. If I tell you what my friend does, you'll immediately know who it is. You aren't owed that.

If you want to stick your head in the sand and believe there is nothing to what I've said, that's certainly your right. It's also my right to tell you you're wrong.

I doubt the last part as much as I doubt the rest. Anyone can see there are issues because the kid isn't playing. But you alluded to specifics and then provide none.

Originally posted by nagemj02:

Originally posted by mathboy:

Okay, so why do you think Bryson did not play in the last couple games? What is your explanation?

Do you think Painter just has a GRUDGE of some osrt?

Why would Painter even have a grudge?

Are you assuming Bryson is without blame?

cool.r191677.gif
You HAVE been quite defensive of anyone that has criticized CMP over the last couple of years, mathboy. He's not wrong in that assertion. You put a STFU in one of your responses to a post I made about Painter about a year ago, so don't try to act like you are always a reasonable poster. Many other times you will call someone a troll if you don't agree with them. Most of us that are not blindly loyal to the coaching staff have seen these kind of retorts frequently enough from you and purdue4sure (the other poster that comes to mind) over the past year or so to come to the conclusion that you're arguably too touchy about anyone criticizing them.
Well, I call 'em as I see 'em most of the time. You may not like my position on Painter, but that's okay, because I don't like yours. See, we can agree. I had faith that he would pull things together and you did not. It is very simple if you have the abiliity to break it down to cause and effect. If you want the effect to be different, you must address the cause. In my case, I did not think Painter was the causal factor in the bad seasons we experienced. He was a contributing factor, but not the primary cause.

By the way, I don't recall ever using a STFU on this board. It is not a phrase that I use, ever, unless you were making some sort of ourrageous statements. Do you recall what your post was that might have generated this uncharacturistci response?
When I call someone a troll, it is because they usually are a troll. For example, CPR is a very disgruntled Purdue fan. I get tired of his meanlingless reants about Painter, usually supported by no substantial facts. However, he is not a troll. Noiler is a troll, just like ReasonableGuy.

Too touchy? That's a laugh. WIll I defend my position? Yes. I consider you one of the better posters, and I enjoy reading what you post. That doesn't mean I agree with you, and I will take the opportunity to bring forward my counterpoints. If you are going to express an opinion on the free board, odds are someone will disagree with it. I've learned to live with that.

cool.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT