ADVERTISEMENT

Bryson Scott Transfering

I don't like to play into this too much cause I'm not a big "excuse" person, but Dekker literally fell into Bo Ryan's hands.

I think going into his junior year in high school, he had offers from like Northern Illinois, UW-Milwaukee, Bradley, etc. Wisconsin offered him a scholarship that summer and he literally committed the next day.

Dekker was a late bloomer and Bo Ryan literally had no competition recruiting him.

Originally posted by PaBoiler78:

In regards to Wisky's recruiting:

Dekker 5 star
Koenig 4 star
Hayes 3 star
Jackson 3 star
Kaminsky 3 star ( Iowa's Utohf was originally in Frank's class before tran. 3 star)

Ryan is a really good coach who has an eye for talent for his system, reminds me of Temple's coach Fran Dunphy.

This post was edited on 4/1 4:47 PM by PaBoiler78
Wow, Kaminsky was only a 3 star. That means either Bo was the only guy on the planet who thought he was special.....or developed him into a 1st teamer. Either way, it shines a bright light on what Bo is worth. I wish we could see this here. At some point, I've had to admit his team is really good and it's because Bo is head and shoulders above Painter.

Originally posted by boiler-deuce:

Wow, Kaminsky was only a 3 star. That means either Bo was the only guy on the planet who thought he was special.....or developed him into a 1st teamer. Either way, it shines a bright light on what Bo is worth. I wish we could see this here. At some point, I've had to admit his team is really good and it's because Bo is head and shoulders above Painter.
I agree that Bo is a great coach, and yes, this year's senior laden Whisky team is better than our young team. However, Ryan is "head and shoulders" better than Painter? IIRC wasn't Painter the only coach to win frequently on Bo's home court? Hummm. I guess Painter suddenly forgot how to coach and Ryan has now achieved God-like status. It is amazing the halo effect a final four has on people and their judgment.

cool.r191677.gif

Originally posted by mathboy:

I agree that Bo is a great coach, and yes, this year's senior laden Whisky team is better than our young team. However, Ryan is "head and shoulders" better than Painter? IIRC wasn't Painter the only coach to win frequently on Bo's home court? Hummm. I guess Painter suddenly forgot how to coach and Ryan has now achieved God-like status. It is amazing the halo effect a final four has on people and their judgment.

cool.r191677.gif
It's not just a single final 4 that makes the difference. How about the fact that Bo has never finished worse than 4th in conference play in 14 years at Wisky? Or that he has never missed the NCAA tournament in 14 years (Painter has missed it 3 times in 10 years)? And no one can throw out the all to familiar "it's hard to recruit at Purdue" crap. You think top recruits are lining up to move to Madison? He now has back to back final 4's along with 4 conference championships along with a 72% conference winning clip compared to 57% for Painter. I'm glad Painter has led us to victories at Wisconsin, because they were fun and big wins at the time. However, there is no comparison between these coaches and Bo is clearly far superior to Painter.

cool.r191677.gif
I don't see Bo running off his sophmore guards. Maybe that's why they are senior laden and we aren't?

Originally posted by cprh9u:

cool.r191677.gif
It's not just a single final 4 that makes the difference. How about the fact that Bo has never finished worse than 4th in conference play in 14 years at Wisky? Or that he has never missed the NCAA tournament in 14 years (Painter has missed it 3 times in 10 years)? And no one can throw out the all to familiar "it's hard to recruit at Purdue" crap. You think top recruits are lining up to move to Madison? He now has back to back final 4's along with 4 conference championships along with a 72% conference winning clip compared to 57% for Painter. I'm glad Painter has led us to victories at Wisconsin, because they were fun and big wins at the time. However, there is no comparison between these coaches and Bo is clearly far superior to Painter.
Just for fun, why don't you compare Bo's first ten years to Painter's first ten? Bo's current success is a hallmark of a stable program that has built up over the years.

I think you will find his record is still better than Painter's but not "Head and SHoulders" better. Keep in mind that Ryan took over a Whisky team that had just been to a FF, so there was momentum to the program. Continuity and momentum is something Painter needs to establish. The dip in recruiting 2008-2011 has made Painter's record look worse than his coaching skills should project.

cool.r191677.gif

Math you call what happened between 08-12 as a dip? This was the time when Matt was looked upon very favorably by about everyone and he followed up with enough poor recruiting to take us from the top of the B1G to last.

That is one of the many reasons some people have seen enough of Matt as Purdue's coach.

Originally posted by walstib816:
Math you call what happened between 08-12 as a dip? This was the time when Matt was looked upon very favorably by about everyone and he followed up with enough poor recruiting to take us from the top of the B1G to last.

That is one of the many reasons some people have seen enough of Matt as Purdue's coach.
This is what cracks me up about you in the vocal minority. You are quick to point out the stumbles Matt had yet pretty much ignore or write off the turnaround he just accomplished. So what, you bring in a new coach and he goes through a 2 year stumble and you fire him too? Under your "leadership" we'd have a new coach about every 4 to 6 years then.

Comparing Bo Scott and Matt Painter's first ten years...

I went ahead and did the totals for you....

Bo Ryan: First ten years at Wisconsin-Plattville
233 - 68 (total of 301 games)

Matt Painter: First ten years at Southern Illinois and Purdue University
216-117 (total of 333 games)

To say that Bo Ryan is head and shoulders better than Coach Painter is largely false, especially taking in to consideration most of Matt's career has been in the Big Ten while Bo Ryan has spent 15 years at Wisconsin-Platteville, 2 years at Milwaukee, and 14 years at Wisconsin for a total of 31 years of head coaching experience. Meanwhile, Coach Painter has had a total of 11 years head coaching experience.

Bo Ryan Total Record: 739 - 227 (.765)

Matt Painter Total Record: 237 - 129 (.648)

Remember that Coach Painter has coached in a much more difficult conference for the majority of his career while Bo has only spent 14 of his 31 years at the major college level.

I don't believe Bo Ryan is head and shoulders better than Matt Painter, but how many younger coaching like Coach Painter could be placed into the established and high level coach ranks that include Coach K, Bo Ryan, Tom Izzo, Bill Self, and Roy Williams. They all have been coaching for long periods of time. I would consider Coach Painter in that second level with younger up and coming coaches such as Shaka Smart, Archie Miller, and Steve Prohm. Although those other guys aren't to the level of coaching in a major conference yet, Coach Painter benefited from the Gene Keady coaching tree and being a Purdue grad, and being in the right place at the right time to make a jump to the major college level.

I don't think Coach Painter is Bo Ryan, but let's compare in another 5-10 years when Coach Painter has had a chance to establish himself a bit more.

cool.r191677.gif
Just for fun, why don't you compare Bo's first ten years to Painter's first ten? Bo's current success is a hallmark of a stable program that has built up over the years.

I think you will find his record is still better than Painter's but not "Head and SHoulders" better. Keep in mind that Ryan took over a Whisky team that had just been to a FF, so there was momentum to the program. Continuity and momentum is something Painter needs to establish. The dip in recruiting 2008-2011 has made Painter's record look worse than his coaching skills should project.

cool.r191677.gif
Just for fun, here are the 1st 10 years for each coach in the B1G. 10/10 on NCAA appearances for Bo vs 7/10 for Painter. No finish outside of the top 4 in league play for Bo vs. finishes at 6th, 7th, 11th and 12th for CMP. 3 conference championships for Bo vs 1 for CMP. 4 sweet 16's and 1 elite 8 for Bo vs. 2 sweet 16's and 0 elite 8's for Painter.

And the dip in recruiting does nothing to help Painters argument. Ryan has had pretty mixed recruiting (from a *'s standpoint) but has maintained a great program regardless.

One more thing, Wisky had a final 4 run 2 years before Bo. They were a 22-14 team with an 8-8 record in league play and made it in as an 8 seed, so it was a fluke, and the team was 18-11 the next year (Bennetts last) so I wouldn't say they had a lot of momentum. In the 6 years before Bo (the Dick Bennett era), they were 109-79 overall (58%) and 48-52 in league play (48%). Bo is 74% and 72% in his time, so he has greatly improved a mediocre Wisconsin program that had one decent fluky run before him. In the 6 years before Painter took over, Gene was a little worse than Bennett, but not much at 52% overall and 45% in league play.
This post was edited on 4/2 12:02 PM by cprh9u

cool.r191677.gif
Just for fun, here are the 1st 10 years for each coach in the B1G. 10/10 on NCAA appearances for Bo vs 7/10 for Painter. No finish outside of the top 4 in league play for Bo vs. finishes at 6th, 7th, 11th and 12th for CMP. 3 conference championships for Bo vs 1 for CMP. 4 sweet 16's and 1 elite 8 for Bo vs. 2 sweet 16's and 0 elite 8's for Painter.

And the dip in recruiting does nothing to help Painters argument. Ryan has had pretty mixed recruiting (from a *'s standpoint) but has maintained a great program regardless.

One more thing, Wisky had a final 4 run 2 years before Bo. They were a 22-14 team with an 8-8 record in league play and made it in as an 8 seed, so it was a fluke, and the team was 18-11 the next year (Bennetts last) so I wouldn't say they had a lot of momentum. In the 6 years before Bo (the Dick Bennett era), they were 109-79 overall (58%) and 48-52 in league play (48%). Bo is 74% and 72% in his time, so he has greatly improved a mediocre Wisconsin program that had one decent fluky run before him. In the 6 years before Painter took over, Gene was a little worse than Bennett, but not much at 52% overall and 45% in league play.
I know I am going to regret replying to this but my curiosity got the best of me.

You are going to compare the two years prior to Bo Ryan getting there and not make a single mention of the two years prior to Matt Painter taking over Purdue where they went 17-14 and a dismal 7-21. The fact is that Bo was established and has been in the northern portion of the country (where most of his recruits come from) for the last 30 years. Painter is still trying to make those connections here in Indiana while he competes with the likes of Indiana, Notre Dame, Kentucky, Cinncinati, Xavier, Louisville, Illinois, Butler, MSU, and OSU. Tell me the major programs within a few hours drive that Bo has to compete with? Marquette and Minnesota?

Matt is just 45 years old and the head of a major college program that he took over at the age of 34. He is a hell of a coach who appeared to buckle to the pressure (much the same way Bruce Weber did at Illinois) to go star chasing and attempt to play catch up with the likes of Louisville, OSU, Kentucky, and MSU. Simply put, he doesn't have that type of demeanor and personality and he understands that and has made the corrections needed to get the program back on solid ground. You are seeing that more lately with the his reaction to recent events. He appears to be a more patient and understanding coach along with knowing the types of players he needs to surround his program with to be successful. Would it be amazing to stock pile a bunch of 5 star players? Yes, but would that translate to a successful program for Purdue and Matt Painter? Well, I believe you saw the fruits of that approach from 2011-2013 and we as fans are now seeing Coach Painter return to recruiting a certain player to fit his mentality and approach to the game. If you think about it, that's the same approach that Bo Ryan has at Wisconsin...and I do believe I have heard the two have a great respect for each other.

I would love to hear what your approach would be to build the program differently than what Coach Painter has done since you are so unhappy with his results. The thing I find very funny is that most of the people on here share you disappointment in where the program went to the previous two years. The fact is that many of us realize there is some rationale behind what happened and that because Coach Painter is a successful and quality coach, he has made the needed changes to his program to correct the problems. I do believe some one on here has, for their tag line, something to the lines of....the definition of insanity is doing something repeatedly and expecting different results. Coach Painter made changes...maybe you should do the same with your outlook and your flawed reasons for hating Coach Painter. If you can't do that, maybe you could find another team to root for and be disappointed in when they don't achieve what you perceive to make you happy.

Originally posted by JohnnyDoeBoiler:

cool.r191677.gif

I know I am going to regret replying to this but my curiosity got the best of me.

You are going to compare the two years prior to Bo Ryan getting there and not make a single mention of the two years prior to Matt Painter taking over Purdue where they went 17-14 and a dismal 7-21. The fact is that Bo was established and has been in the northern portion of the country (where most of his recruits come from) for the last 30 years. Painter is still trying to make those connections here in Indiana while he competes with the likes of Indiana, Notre Dame, Kentucky, Cinncinati, Xavier, Louisville, Illinois, Butler, MSU, and OSU. Tell me the major programs within a few hours drive that Bo has to compete with? Marquette and Minnesota?

Matt is just 45 years old and the head of a major college program that he took over at the age of 34. He is a hell of a coach who appeared to buckle to the pressure (much the same way Bruce Weber did at Illinois) to go star chasing and attempt to play catch up with the likes of Louisville, OSU, Kentucky, and MSU. Simply put, he doesn't have that type of demeanor and personality and he understands that and has made the corrections needed to get the program back on solid ground. You are seeing that more lately with the his reaction to recent events. He appears to be a more patient and understanding coach along with knowing the types of players he needs to surround his program with to be successful. Would it be amazing to stock pile a bunch of 5 star players? Yes, but would that translate to a successful program for Purdue and Matt Painter? Well, I believe you saw the fruits of that approach from 2011-2013 and we as fans are now seeing Coach Painter return to recruiting a certain player to fit his mentality and approach to the game. If you think about it, that's the same approach that Bo Ryan has at Wisconsin...and I do believe I have heard the two have a great respect for each other.

I would love to hear what your approach would be to build the program differently than what Coach Painter has done since you are so unhappy with his results. The thing I find very funny is that most of the people on here share you disappointment in where the program went to the previous two years. The fact is that many of us realize there is some rationale behind what happened and that because Coach Painter is a successful and quality coach, he has made the needed changes to his program to correct the problems. I do believe some one on here has, for their tag line, something to the lines of....the definition of insanity is doing something repeatedly and expecting different results. Coach Painter made changes...maybe you should do the same with your outlook and your flawed reasons for hating Coach Painter. If you can't do that, maybe you could find another team to root for and be disappointed in when they don't achieve what you perceive to make you happy.
There is not a single person in this world that I hate, and that certainly includes Painter. And you know what? I think he is an average coach who does some decent things. I just really want to see Purdue win big and I do not think that Painter is the guy to get us there. I see Bo Ryan doing it at Wisconsin and Gregg Marshall doing special things at Witchita State and Shaka Smart taking VCU to a new level (just 3 off the top of my head) and I say "Why not Purdue?" I guess I'm at a point in life where I am ready to take a bit of risk. Sure we could keep Painter, be a somewhat respected program who makes more tournaments than we miss and puts together the occasional team that can win a B1G championship. There's nothing wrong with that. I just want to see more, and I really don't see Painter, his inability to land big time players, his struggles to connect with 17-22 year olds (especially PG's), and his ability to gameplan as enough to get us to the next level. I'm ready to win some more.

With all of my Painter frustration, I am ready to embrace him if he can show us he can win big games (not in November and December, but in March) and start brining in the type of talent that is needed for MOST coaches to win big. Some coaches can do it with lesser talent, but there are few of those guys and Painter is not one of them. It's not personal. I am committed to Purdue athletics, not any one coach. It is Purdue Universtiy, not Painter Universtiy.

I have obviously changed my mind, but I was clamoring for Burke to resign Painter when Mizzou came calling. I was thinking he would start landing more classes like 2007, guys full of talent and the willingness to play their hearts out. It hasn't happened, and I doubt Painter will ever be the guy to get us to the top. Maybe I am unrealistic in thinking a Purdue coach could be a Bo Ryan or Tom Izzo, but that's what I want. A winner who can get us to the top with some consistency. I think 10 years is being patient enough and by now, we know what we have. Hope he proves me wrong as my frustration with Painter is greatly outweighed by my hope for Purdue to win and I would love to see him get Swanigan, a talented PG, and win the National Championship next year.

I disagree. I enjoyed watching basketball this year but how much credit do you give a coach that caused the "stumble" to last place and now the big improvement is we were a bubble team in the NCAA. I am glad we made the tournament, especially for the players. I am certainly not into a revolving door of coaches, who is?

What some of us believe (i think so anyway) is Matt peaked and did not continue the winning ways at the high level he helped to establish. What we also see is programs moving a head of Purdue and Purdue not keeping pace. I also think I speak for many when I say we hope we are wrong that Matt has peaked but being objective it is hard to see it any other way.

Originally posted by JohnnyDoeBoiler:

cool.r191677.gif

There is not a single person in this world that I hate, and that certainly includes Painter. And you know what? I think he is an average coach who does some decent things. I just really want to see Purdue win big and I do not think that Painter is the guy to get us there. I see Bo Ryan doing it at Wisconsin and Gregg Marshall doing special things at Witchita State and Shaka Smart taking VCU to a new level (just 3 off the top of my head) and I say "Why not Purdue?" I guess I'm at a point in life where I am ready to take a bit of risk. Sure we could keep Painter, be a somewhat respected program who makes more tournaments than we miss and puts together the occasional team that can win a B1G championship. There's nothing wrong with that. I just want to see more, and I really don't see Painter, his inability to land big time players, his struggles to connect with 17-22 year olds (especially PG's), and his ability to gameplan as enough to get us to the next level. I'm ready to win some more.

With all of my Painter frustration, I am ready to embrace him if he can show us he can win big games (not in November and December, but in March) and start brining in the type of talent that is needed for MOST coaches to win big. Some coaches can do it with lesser talent, but there are few of those guys and Painter is not one of them. It's not personal. I am committed to Purdue athletics, not any one coach. It is Purdue Universtiy, not Painter Universtiy.

I have obviously changed my mind, but I was clamoring for Burke to resign Painter when Mizzou came calling. I was thinking he would start landing more classes like 2007, guys full of talent and the willingness to play their hearts out. It hasn't happened, and I doubt Painter will ever be the guy to get us to the top. Maybe I am unrealistic in thinking a Purdue coach could be a Bo Ryan or Tom Izzo, but that's what I want. A winner who can get us to the top with some consistency. I think 10 years is being patient enough and by now, we know what we have. Hope he proves me wrong as my frustration with Painter is greatly outweighed by my hope for Purdue to win and I would love to see him get Swanigan, a talented PG, and win the National Championship next year.
Man, you have been all over the place. The only thing consistent about your posts is that the world is all about you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT