ADVERTISEMENT

Bryson Scott Transfering

Originally posted by SIBoiler2:
Originally posted by TopSecretBoiler:

Originally posted by alwaysaboiler:
Best of luck to Bryson, I really hope he lands in a good place for him. If you think this was a rough decision for him read what was in the star

"I just felt like there was't any point for me to stay," Scott said. "I felt like I wasn't going to get an opportunity there.
"I felt like it was the best choice for me and best for the team. I didn't want to bring that negative energy to a team on the way to doing better things."

I don't think these are words from someone who really wanted to leave, seems like he felt there wasn't any other option. Recruiting and players are kind of like a marriage. Don't marry someone expecting they will change. Bad idea. Usually ends up in divorce. Same way with a player. Dont recruit someone you need to change to fit your style. 2 strikes, third may cost him his job. It's probably a good thing Walker decommitted for Painters sake.

This post was edited on 3/31 9:41 AM by alwaysaboiler
coach refused to play him. What else is he gonna do? top 100 talent doesn't waste away on the bench happily for 2 years unless they are getting paid at UK or O$U.
Doesn't matter if you're a Top 10 talent if you act like you've got a 50 cent head. He likely would have been the starter next year IF he'd complied with the program. Obviously he either wouldn't or couldn't. I wish him well. Seems like a good kid with world of untamed talent.
I think it was more of a couldn't than a wouldn't. If I remember correctly, he was a SG in High School and seemed to be recruited more of as a replacement for TJ at SG. Circumstances forced him to try and become a PG, which to his credit, he seemed to really try, but he's just not wired to be a PG and distributor.

Originally posted by SIBoiler2:
Doesn't matter if you're a Top 10 talent if you act like you've got a 50 cent head. He likely would have been the starter next year IF he'd complied with the program. Obviously he either wouldn't or couldn't. I wish him well. Seems like a good kid with world of untamed talent.
it does matter. WE HAVE NO TALENT AT POINT GUARD. none. and if we don't score another miracle transfer next year is going to be a giant leap for mankind backwards.

I don't blame him for leaving.

My point is, why is Painter recruiting kids at PG that don't fit his style of play and then expect them to change? that is simply asking for disaster. That is what will cost him his job if it comes to that. Its easier to mold any other position to what you want it to be, but not the PG. Bryson is what he is and its in his DNA, Painter cannot change that. Its like trying to get a race horse to be a pleasure horse. It's not gonna happen 95% of the time, it's not in the DNA.

Bryson will handle this with a lot more class than RJ, because thats what he is, a product of his environment,family. I hope he finds a fit in his next destination because he is a good kid and he deserves that much in life.

CMP didn't refuse to play him...he felt JO and PJ should play in front of him. Huge difference. And your point about helping a PG develop is way off. Most great HS point guards are so good in HS that they do everything for the HS team's offense. Then they get to college and have to learn to play the game at this level and become a true PG. Some are able and some are not. I wish Bryson the best. When he played he worked hard.

Originally posted by alwaysaboiler:
I don't blame him for leaving.

My point is, why is Painter recruiting kids at PG that don't fit his style of play and then expect them to change? that is simply asking for disaster. That is what will cost him his job if it comes to that. Its easier to mold any other position to what you want it to be, but not the PG. Bryson is what he is and its in his DNA, Painter cannot change that. Its like trying to get a race horse to be a pleasure horse. It's not gonna happen 95% of the time, it's not in the DNA.

Bryson will handle this with a lot more class than RJ, because thats what he is, a product of his environment,family. I hope he finds a fit in his next destination because he is a good kid and he deserves that much in life.
Agree with this.

My perception (and I could be wrong) is that what CMP ultimately wants is a good PG for the motion offense. Motion offense relies on a team of players who can all pass, catch and move to ultimate get a high percentage team shot (open look for a shooter, or get the ball to a player to utilize their strengths). It relies more on moving the ball as opposed to a lot of impromptu dribble drives (as impromptu dribble drives are less "predictable" in terms of where team spacing ends up ... which could disrupt the motion offense's effectiveness if the drive doesn't directly lead to a score or scoring opportunity). It doesn't mean you can't have a PG that drives a lot, but it needs to be a more "strategic" or an "effective" drive and if it gets bottled up, get things back to a place where the motion offense can continue.

Bryson is more of a dribble drive player and I could see how this would frustrate both Bryson and CMP.

He's a shooting guard who couldn't shoot . . .

so we tried to make him a PG, but he didn't have the handles or passing skills for that either. Listen, this guy was tweener guard in HS and Painter should have seen that before offering. I wanted to mention it when he first committed but knew I would be booed out of the room for "criticizing" an incoming player.

That said, I actually liked his aggressiveness and thought he was probably our best (but not a great) option at PG next year. Let's hope PJ spends a lot of time working on his game in the offseason and surprises everyone.

Re: He's a shooting guard who couldn't shoot . . .

Originally posted by SYoumans:

That said, I actually liked his aggressiveness and thought he was probably our best (but not a great) option at PG next year. Let's hope PJ spends a lot of time working on his game in the offseason and surprises everyone.
Not sure if anyone remembers the Bryson Scott tweets about him working on his game, dribble, shooting, etc. from last offseason. I personally think the individual off-season workouts are greatly exaggerated by the fans. Nothing beats games and organized team practice is a second.

Originally posted by alumnfan:

CMP didn't refuse to play him...he felt JO and PJ should play in front of him. Huge difference. And your point about helping a PG develop is way off. Most great HS point guards are so good in HS that they do everything for the HS team's offense. Then they get to college and have to learn to play the game at this level and become a true PG. Some are able and some are not. I wish Bryson the best. When he played he worked hard.
CMP absolutely, positively refused to play him. Let's not kid ourselves. If Painter replaced Mathias with Bryson instead of PJ at the end of Cincy game, there's a very very good chance we would make it to the 2nd round. Painter is a good coach and he knows Bryson is light years ahead of PJ defensively. He knew this but still stuck to his guns.

Painter did what he thinks is right for the program even though it means getting eliminated in the first round of a tournament that comes once every year.

Re: Bummer.

Originally posted by purdue4sure:

Originally posted by Boiledin90:
C3PO...I'm not sure your message is getting across...can you repost the same comment for the 86th time using a few different words? I'm happy to translate for everyone else. The value add is tremendous...

For those of you who didn't every other post C3PO RH9U makes...he hasn't changed his mind on Coach MP yet...
I expect that until his mommy gives him a timeout, the tantrum will continue.
As long as he is keeping this program from being it's best, I will speak my mind about Painter. Sorry you are so offended by it, but I really don't care what you think.

Originally posted by boiler_pride:

CMP absolutely, positively refused to play him. Let's not kid ourselves. If Painter replaced Mathias with Bryson instead of PJ at the end of Cincy game, there's a very very good chance we would make it to the 2nd round. Painter is a good coach and he knows Bryson is light years ahead of PJ defensively. He knew this but still stuck to his guns.

Painter did what he thinks is right for the program even though it means getting eliminated in the first round of a tournament that comes once every year.
omg this. THIS. and several other games. do you guys even realize the number 36 ranked scorer IN THE HISTORY OF INDIANA high school basketball just transfered from Purdue? and to add to it, he loves defense. if the staff recruits this guy, they HAVE to figure it out. It's why they make millions. I'm glad I mailed my JPC renewal over the weekend because I probably would have to think long and hard about it if I had to cut that check now. Football SUCKS and now we can't even keep indiana kids in the basketball program.

First of all... best of luck to BScott. I hope he finds what he is looking for and succeeds in his future endeavors.

That said, I'm curious... does anyone think BScott will have a career playing professionally? Whether it be in Europe or the NBA? I hope I'm wrong- but personally, I do not think so in either case. He looks like a very good HS player and a solid college player. The reason I mention this is: getting a degree for life after basketball is of utmost importance when your college career is over. So why jeopardize a Purdue degree for a potentially 'lesser' degree from a smaller school?

I guess I will never understand how the desire to be a big fish in a small pond outweighs the need for a good education.

Obviously I'm speculating- I just seem to read about these types of transfers all to often now. Player A leaves well known Div I school (sports and academics) for more playing time at a less prominent school. I'd love to see a study done on where these types of kids end up when they are 30yrs old.

I hope I am dead wrong and this does not happen to BScott. I wish him success

Boiler Up!!!

Originally posted by ejs1111:
First of all... best of luck to BScott. I hope he finds what he is looking for and succeeds in his future endeavors.

That said, I'm curious... does anyone think BScott will have a career playing professionally? Whether it be in Europe or the NBA? I hope I'm wrong- but personally, I do not think so in either case. He looks like a very good HS player and a solid college player. The reason I mention this is: getting a degree for life after basketball is of utmost importance when your college career is over. So why jeopardize a Purdue degree for a potentially 'lesser' degree from a smaller school?

I guess I will never understand how the desire to be a big fish in a small pond outweighs the need for a good education.

Obviously I'm speculating- I just seem to read about these types of transfers all to often now. Player A leaves well known Div I school (sports and academics) for more playing time at a less prominent school. I'd love to see a study done on where these types of kids end up when they are 30yrs old.

I hope I am dead wrong and this does not happen to BScott. I wish him success

Boiler Up!!!
I don't know, but how would he ever find out riding pine? He can go back to school whenever he wants if that's what he wants to do.

That is true- but its no guarantee he would be on the bench next season. I was expecting him to work hard this offseason and becoming the starter. BScott comes across as an ultra competitive hard worker. Whose to say he would not have worked his butt off and came out as the starter? Personally, I liked him as a player and wanted him to succeed here. I'm disappointed he decided to leave.

And as for going back to school? Its tough to go back to school at 25k per year without the athletic scholarship, which is why I wish there was a way to better instill the importance of the degree these student athletes will be getting when they graduate.

Boiler Up!!!

lol

Then good luck to Bryson at his Div 2 school......cause 6 foot shooting guards who can't shoot aren't going to play D1, at least at a school of any size. Since Bryson.......a human being.......is incapable of changing the way he plays basketball, he won't play point guard at a D1.

One more day and this post would make sense.

Originally posted by ustankass:
It sucks but is not surprising. Good luck to him. Queue all the painter haters....

Posted from Rivals Mobile
Man, I had this thread pegged right from the beginning. Given I could been right in any thread since CP3O... posts something in every thread ripping painter. This thread makes me laugh, so many have said "We have to get 4 and 5 star guys. why can't Painter ever get those guys?" Then its "It doesn't matter what they are ranked, as long as they fit." It comical on here, just so much changing opinions depending on how they feel that day. Whatever argument they can use to fit their hatred of Painter. Here's an idea, if you hate Painter so much, go cheer for another team. Why would you want to be in such a miserable state all the time? Painter is here for a minimum of 3-4 years now, especially after a pretty successful season this year. So get used to it or leave. You will probably save yourself and bunch of other people some unnecessary annoyance.

The reasoning in both these posts is way off. First, you wish we would have put in our 3rd string PG cold after he had not played all game to defend a play where he would have gotten picked too and if we had done that we have a "very, very good" chance of winning? I suppose you can think that.

The #36 scorer argument is a red herring and has zero merit. Many great HS players don't wind up being great college players just like many great college players don't wind up being pros. I hope Bryson becomes a great college player.

The reasoning in both these posts is way off. First, you wish we would have put in our 3rd string PG cold after he had not played all game to defend a play where he would have gotten picked too and if we had done that we have a "very, very good" chance of winning? I suppose you can think that.

The #36 scorer argument is a red herring and has zero merit. Many great HS players don't wind up being great college players just like many great college players don't wind up being pros. I hope Bryson becomes a great college player.
it's not an argument. It's a fact and thus it has merit. Sorry it doesn't fit your agenda. Many more great HS players DO end up being great. just a terrible comment. Go get your team of 2 star non great HS players and I will blow them out of the gym with guys like bryson.

it's not an argument. It's a fact and thus it has merit. Sorry it doesn't fit your agenda. Many more great HS players DO end up being great. just a terrible comment. Go get your team of 2 star non great HS players and I will blow them out of the gym with guys like bryson.
This is a textbook logical fallacy

What agenda? Yes he is the 36th leading HS scorer, that is fact. But you assume that means he would be a great college player. One does not mean the other. Thus the red herring. Marion Pierce (#2), Brody Boyd (#4), Brady Adkins (#12), Anthony Winchester (#13), Logan Irwin (#14)...I could go on... were not great big time college basketball players IMO. Nothing against them obviously. I really liked Bryson and I agree that a team of Bryson would beat a team of 2 star non-great HS players all day long. However, at Purdue we had nine 4 star guys and he wasn't able to crack the regular rotation. Not because Painter refused to play him but because he thought there were 9 guys (including 2 PGs) that were better. Really is as simple as that.

You cant PROGRAM every player to be CK. CK basically became less SCORING minded. people complain because they thought he could not score, it was not that he could not score. he became what the coaching staff wanted him to become because that's what he was, ADAPTABLE. It seems like the coaching staff, after one year, should have realized it was not going to work that way with Bryson and parted ways then instead of wasting another year. But, maybe that's what both parties agreed to was to give it another year.

you don't know what a logical fallacy is.
Let me enlighten you.

On a Boiler Basketball Board if it's LOGICAL it must be a FALLACY!!!

Any logical response to my post?
I stopped expecting logical responses to your posts after your season record prediction around the start of January!!!
roll.r191677.gif

What agenda? Yes he is the 36th leading HS scorer, that is fact. But you assume that means he would be a great college player. One does not mean the other. Thus the red herring. Marion Pierce (#2), Brody Boyd (#4), Brady Adkins (#12), Anthony Winchester (#13), Logan Irwin (#14)...I could go on... were not great big time college basketball players IMO. Nothing against them obviously. I really liked Bryson and I agree that a team of Bryson would beat a team of 2 star non-great HS players all day long. However, at Purdue we had nine 4 star guys and he wasn't able to crack the regular rotation. Not because Painter refused to play him but because he thought there were 9 guys (including 2 PGs) that were better. Really is as simple as that.
ok school is in session. red herring - something, especially a
clue, that is or is intended to be misleading or distracting. So no,
being ranked 36th in scoring is not a red herring, unless you believe that high school performance is not a good indicator of college performance and that I am falsely being distracting to deceive the reader. I believe that high school performance is one of the best indicators of college success. If you believe that it is not I have no desire to debate with you anymore. There's a reason 10's of millions of dollars is spent on recruiting and judging high school play. Not only was Bryson highly rated in his own class (in the 70's I believe), but he was also a statistically relevant career scorer in state history, a state which has a rich history of excellent basketball players. CMP refused to play him, not only this year, but last year as well. CMP makes the decisions on who plays.

Here is a good question. How many 4, or 5 star recruits are getting serious minutes for Bo Ryan last year and this year? I don't remember reading about big Wisco recruiting classes. I may be wrong....but......

I doubt he has many 4 or 5 star kids, but he has had a long run of very good point guards. His kids just play the right way. What AAU teams is he recruiting from?...or not?

Originally posted by DrEss:
I doubt he has many 4 or 5 star kids, but he has had a long run of very good point guards. His kids just play the right way. What AAU teams is he recruiting from?...or not?
Yeah, the kids somehow manage to really develop. Just reading the comments about recruits and high school rankings made me think that Wisco never seems high on the list year after year, but have been very good. He either picks the right kids....or knows how to coach at a different level. Sort of like Gonzaga and to a degree ND. I know some here have a knack of digging up stats....just tossed it out for curiosity.

What happened with Bryson is common across college basketball these days. It's hard to win without trimming your rotation. Painter actually tried to go deeper in December and it didn't work. Most successful coaches give a vast majority of minutes to the top 7-9 players. Inevitably, there will be players who are frustrated that they are not one of those top 7-9 players and many of them will transfer. Just wait a few weeks and see how large the transfer list grows to.

Some players transfer to become a big fish in smaller pond. Other players transfer to showcase their talents in a bigger pond. Still other players transfer to find a better fit. I really don't see anything wrong with it.

I didn't want to see Bryson transfer because I was hoping he would turn the corner next season, but this very well may be the best decision for both Bryson and Purdue. I hope he has a lot of success at his next destination.

Agree 100% with this. It sucks though, because I loved how friggin' hard that kid plays. And he is an Indiana kid to boot.

HS performance is often a good indicator of college success but when you have 2 years of college experience to add to that and it hasn't panned out, then being the #36 scorer in high school does not matter. Thus the red herring.

Too bad. I was hoping that he'd be one of those guys that has the light go on and becomes a big time contributor before he left.

He made the right decision. His game has too much sauce for Purdue. Just kidding. He and Painter didn't click. Some reasons were obvious to anyone watching, others only the team members will know about. The kid tried when he got his opportunities. I wish him well wherever he winds up.

In regards to Wisky's recruiting:

Dekker 5 star
Koenig 4 star
Hayes 3 star
Jackson 3 star
Kaminsky 3 star ( Iowa's Utohf was originally in Frank's class before tran. 3 star)

Ryan is a really good coach who has an eye for talent for his system, reminds me of Temple's coach Fran Dunphy.

This post was edited on 4/1 4:47 PM by PaBoiler78

Originally posted by boiler-deuce:
Here is a good question. How many 4, or 5 star recruits are getting serious minutes for Bo Ryan last year and this year? I don't remember reading about big Wisco recruiting classes. I may be wrong....but......
Dekker for sure, Koenig (UNC was after him), and probably Hayes (4-stars with some services at one point). Gasser and Kaminsky were three stars.

No doubt Ryan is a great coach and quickly rising among the all-time great coaches from the conference. And he does a great job recruiting to his system and developing as much as possible. However, it's not like he doesn't pull in some really talented kids. This current team, which could win it all, is more talented than people think (from the recruiting services and star-system perspective). Now, Kaminsky's development, and having Gasser back from an ACL injury (along with Hayes' continued development) is what has taken this team to back-to-back Final Fours. Dekker has always been projected as NBA potential.

I may be silly, but I think Hayes could be just as good or better.

He also had Leur and Jordan Taylor, who were pretty good too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT