ADVERTISEMENT

Best PG in the B10?

Boiler Buck

All-American
Mar 11, 2010
Hummel last night said Braden Smith was the best PG in the Big Ten. So best PG Agree - Disagree???

Stats of some of the guys.....
Smith 13 ppg 5.9R 6.7A 1.9St 2.4TO 50%th

McDaniel 18.4,ppg 3.4R 5.6A 1.3st 2.3To. 36%th

Buie 18.5ppg 3R 3A 1.3st 2.7to 40% th

Walker 20.3 ppg 2.8R 2.3A 1.3st 2.4to. 30% th

Young 15.9ppg 2.9R 4.3A 2st 3.1To 34%th

I know I have read here he did not have enough stars, was too small, gets blowed by on D, isn't physical enough to handle bigger guards, etc. so I am sure some of you will disagree with Hummel. I might even disagree, so I think it would be a good discussion......

Last edited:
Reactions: Zaphod_B and SKYDOG
Hummel last night said Braden Smith was the best PG in the Big Ten. So best PG Agree - Disagree???

I know I have read here he did not have enough stars, was too small, gets blowed by on D, isn't physical enough to handle bigger guards, etc. so I am sure some of you will disagree with Hummel. I might even, so I think it would be a good discussion......
Is Walker a point guard? Was thinking it’s Hoggard.

I know I have read here he did not have enough stars, was too small, gets blowed by on D, isn't physical enough to handle bigger guards, etc. so I am sure some of you will disagree with Hummel. I might even disagree, so I think it would be a good discussion......
As of right now, I think he is playing like the best OVERALL point guard, as in he is (at this point) the best at running his team. I think BUIE and Walker are better overall scorers, but Braden is a better distributor and rebounder. Haven’t gotten to watch Young or McDaniel yet, but will have a better idea in the next week or so with B1G play.

He is the second most important player, barely below Zach, on this team. He is definitely a top 5 overall PG right now in the country. I hope he can keep this up all year and excited to see how he guards bigger and more athletic guards.
Either way, it’s awesome to see Braden do so well when no one really wanted him out of high school.

As of right now, I think he is playing like the best OVERALL point guard, as in he is (at this point) the best at running his team. I think BUIE and Walker are better overall scorers, but Braden is a better distributor and rebounder. Haven’t gotten to watch Young or McDaniel yet, but will have a better idea in the next week or so with B1G play.

He is the second most important player, barely below Zach, on this team. He is definitely a top 5 overall PG right now in the country. I hope he can keep this up all year and excited to see how he guards bigger and more athletic guards.
Either way, it’s awesome to see Braden do so well when no one really wanted him out of high school.

I love Smith. Wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't get his triple double yet. Not sure McDaniel isn't better? Haven't seen enough of McDaniel though. But the games I watched he was dominant. Certainly worth watching between those two.

IMO as far as nationally, I thought Smith had a hard time against TN and kinda disappeared. Only 1A and 6 pts.....Not sure a nationally dominant PG does that? So I would not agree about top 5 in the country just yet. But as far as the B10 a case certainly can be made as the best.

Last edited:
I love Smith. Wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't get his triple double yet. Not sure McDaniel isn't better? Haven't seen enough of McDaniel though. But the games I watched he was dominant. Certainly worth watching between those two.

IMO as far as nationally, I thought Smith had a hard time against TN and kinda disappeared. Only 1A and 6 pts.....Not sure a nationally dominant PG does that? But as far as the B10 a case certainly can be made as the best.

Against the Tennessee it was Fletcher and Edey... and that's it. I'm not taking anything from that game from any individual except that Loyer isn't going to fade into the B1G mist this year. It was just a crapshow of physicality that should have resulted in about 55-60 FTs not just 46

Against the Tennessee it was Fletcher and Edey... and that's it. I'm not taking anything from that game from any individual except that Loyer isn't going to fade into the B1G mist this year. It was just a crapshow of physicality that should have resulted in about 55-60 FTs not just 46

True on the physical deal and the fouls. A lot more could have been called. But only 1 assist for a PG wasn't a great showing for Smith imo.

I haven’t watched enough of the other point guards to compare, but I don’t see a huge gap between him and Tyler Kolek, who is often considered the best point guard in the country.

True on the physical deal and the fouls. A lot more could have been called. But only 1 assist for a PG wasn't a great showing for Smith imo.
I can agree with you on maybe him not being a top 5 PG -- his stats show that right now, but we all know that doesn't translate to best in the country.

In the UT game, Smith was hounded all game by Ziegler (a great test)...but the 1 assist is a bit head scratching. However, I may give just a bit of a pass (although one would expect at least 3-5 assists from a top 5 PG) because 76 free throws were shot in that game and 51 fouls were called that disrupted the flow of the game and would make it hard for most to record assists.

I believe he is a great old school point guard. One who sets the tempo and distributes the ball. He is the coach on the court. He is a perfect fit for Painter’s offense.

As for rankings and rewards, I doubt he will ever receive any. Today’s awards seem to go to players that generate offensive stats whether they play point guard or not. Your All American point guard this year will most likely be some shooting guard that averages 25+ ppg.

I am reminded of Quinn Buckner. He was probably one of the greatest college point guards of all time! But in today’s world where only stats are important, I doubt highly he would be considered for any award! In today’s world, players like Macy Wade, and Alford would take the rewards regardless of the position they play.

Reactions: SKYDOG
I believe he is a great old school point guard. One who sets the tempo and distributes the ball. He is the coach on the court. He is a perfect fit for Painter’s offense.

As for rankings and rewards, I doubt he will ever receive any. Today’s awards seem to go to players that generate offensive stats whether they play point guard or not. Your All American point guard this year will most likely be some shooting guard that averages 25+ ppg.

I am reminded of Quinn Buckner. He was probably one of the greatest college point guards of all time! But in today’s world where only stats are important, I doubt highly he would be considered for any award! In today’s world, players like Macy Wade, and Alford would take the rewards regardless of the position they play.
If Purdue stays around #1 all year, I can see Braden being on the 3rd team All American list... he is top 10 in total assists and assists per game right now and has flirted with a triple double twice already this season. There are some metrics that show Braden is a top 10 most impactful player in the country at this point (6th to be exact and would be amazing if he could do that all year, but will be a very tough task to do so).

They don't select a player for each position for All Americans any more...haven't for a while now (hence why there are 3 7 footers as Pre Season AAs this year).

However, this year for Pre-season All American Kolek from Marquette was listed (he's a PG) and he's pretty damn good. Sasser was selected as an All American last year, he was a PG.

Other notable PGs named as 1st team AA -

Peyton Pritchard, Ja Morant and Cassius Winston named AA 1st team as PGs in same year, Trae Young, Frank Mason (NPOY as well), Tyler Ulis and Denzel Washington (also named as PGs in same year)...etc.

There is also a Bob Cousy award that is only for the Best PGs in the country.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
He's the best guard for this team. The oil in the motor. It's hard to compare situations, other guards might need to score more. I wouldn't trade him, I know that.
Totally agree. I think I know of a team down south that would KILL for a PG like him. If only they had an opportunity to offer him...oh wait...they did and didn't extend.

And that they had the best back court in the BIG10 and maybe the country. But remember that was the off season and they always win that!
Well, that was probably true for the summer season which IU fans always win. Their most used word was "Gon'a". As in "He gon'a have 15 assists and score 5 points with every shot and be all BIG".

:cool:

He’s enabled Painter to completely change the way Purdue’s offense runs and take a ton of pressure off of Edey. This is not Gene Keady’s motion offense.

Smith is special. It shows up in the stats, but it also is obvious when watching the team. He’s overshadowed by Edey’s greatness, but he needs to be in the conversation for most impactful players in the country as well.

He’s enabled Painter to completely change the way Purdue’s offense runs and take a ton of pressure off of Edey. This is not Gene Keady’s motion offense.

Smith is special. It shows up in the stats, but it also is obvious when watching the team. He’s overshadowed by Edey’s greatness, but he needs to be in the conversation for most impactful players in the country as well.
He is listed as the sixth most in Evan Miya analytics! Not that this guy is the end all be all for analytics but by all the metrics he uses, edey is 1 and smith is 6…pretty impressive.

Most of the other guys on the list have very few other scoring options on their respective teams. I think Smth could easily average 17-20 a game if Purdue needed that.

What a relief and joy it is for the Boilers / Smith to have that second, ball-handling guard in Jones. Whether it is when they're playing together or if Braden needs a rest.

Last year, Jenkins played admirably and had some very good moments but being a PG just wasn't his game. When Smith needed a rest (which wasn't very often; he played a sh!t ton of minutes) it was kind of cross your fingers and pray, with nobody else able to ball handle or assist.

He is able to go wide open throttle nowdays.

The Purdue career assists leader is Bruce Parkinson at 690. Smith is at 200, currently. I think he breaks Parkinson’s record when all is said and done.

The Purdue career assists leader is Bruce Parkinson at 690. Smith is at 200, currently. I think he breaks Parkinson’s record when all is said and done.
I think he could too….690 (nice) is tough to beat, but Braden would have to avg around 5-5.5 assists a game from here on out for his career…which it looks like he can definitely do.

I think he could too….690 (nice) is tough to beat, but Braden would have to avg around 5-5.5 assists a game from here on out for his career…which it looks like he can definitely do.
I neglected to mention that Parkinson’s single season Purdue record is 207. I think that Braden has a great chance of breaking it this season as well.

Paraphrasing someone in another thread (sorry I forgot who it was):
Hummel simply mispronounced Xavier Johnson.

just a FYI in case you didn't know? When broke, I imagine Braden doing it if he does, would find Bruce happy it was Braden. Bruce knows Braden's father well since Austin and Dustin played together for many years and are in frequent contact. That said there was no shot clock with Bruce and so a different era again makes things a bit hard to compare. Certainly play was more physical on the perimeter back then

After watching the game Tuesday night, he looked like the best point guard in the B1G but maybe there should be at least 1 B1G game played before we determine whose all B1G.
Northwestern should be a good game to watch to get a better sense of that. Not only to they feature a terrific guard in Boo Buie, but they are great at forcing turnovers.

Northwestern should be a good game to watch to get a better sense of that. Not only to they feature a terrific guard in Boo Buie, but they are great at forcing turnovers.

Also will be a good game to see if Purdue is different defending its #1 rank, this year over last.

Can they roll this wannabe NW, or does Purdue fold up like they did last year as the new #1, and NW is rushing the floor? I think Purdue rolls unless there is a ref out there with an agenda.

Good PG test for Braden vs one of the league's best.

Also will be a good game to see if Purdue is different defending its #1 rank, this year over last.

Can they roll this wannabe NW, or does Purdue fold up like they did last year as the new #1, and NW is rushing the floor? I think Purdue rolls unless there is a ref out there with an agenda.

Good PG test for Braden vs one of the league's best.
Very good points. Hope we come out with some fire and take care of business.

Do you think Braden will guard Buie or do you think Lance will mostly be on him? And would buie guard Braden you think?

Very good points. Hope we come out with some fire and take care of business.

Do you think Braden will guard Buie or do you think Lance will mostly be on him? And would buie guard Braden you think?

Braden is great offensively ....defense is another matter. I would put my best defender, Jones, on Buie. I am sure Smith will end up on him on switches. That is unless Barnhizer(sp) gets hot.

I guess Smith the best PG is not close. Smith out classed by a mile tonight.

I think Buie answered that tonight. But long way to go....lots of games. Play like this and he will be all B10.
For this game, you are absolutely correct. Buie played out of his mind. My complaint with Smith was that passed up some great scoring opportunities to setup some not as good opportunities for his teammates.

Reactions: Smokestack91
For this game, you are absolutely correct. Buie played out of his mind. My complaint with Smith was that passed up some great scoring opportunities to setup some not as good opportunities for his teammates.
My Dad said too much dribling by BS. And he agreed with you, got too cute at times.....take the easy score, he passed up 2 easy ones. That's decision making....or the lack of it, in those cases

Tonite Buie might have been the best player in the floor. Played 43 minutes without a turnover. That’s incredible.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT