ADVERTISEMENT

Any one here watch the WBB team open scrimmage 10/16 and have any comments on how it looked?

DavidBoiler

Sophomore
Gold Member
Sep 6, 2018
Noblesville Indiana
It would be nice if we had some media coverage of the scrimmage and how it went and who looked good and how Katie's new offensive and defensive strategies looked.. etc. In leu of that if you were there and have some observations that would be great!

It would be nice if we had some media coverage of the scrimmage and how it went and who looked good and how Katie's new offensive and defensive strategies looked.. etc. In leu of that if you were there and have some observations that would be great!
Media coverage will improve if the team does! It will be wait and see with Katie Gearlds. Same was true when Dave Shondell took over Volleyball, and the Shondell change has made Purdue a consistent winner in the toughest conference in women's volleyball! I plan to attend and will be patient with Katie!

Well- the final period the team scrimmaged what appeared to be 5 random guys. Not the worst players in the world but certainly not college level guys. The guys defeated the girls team pretty easily. There are a couple girls players that stand out (Jayla Smith) as having some talent, but for the most part I was thinking- how are these Big 10 caliber players? They aren't for the most part. It reminded me of Painter's first season when we were playing guys like Marcus Green and Nate Minnoy heavy minutes.

I have seen quite a few high school girls teams that have had a starting 5 that were all more talented than Purdue's 3rd best player. I believe the 2008-2010 Ben Davis Giants would have been able to beat this year's Purdue team pretty easily.

Just being honest.

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
Media coverage will improve if the team does! It will be wait and see with Katie Gearlds. Same was true when Dave Shondell took over Volleyball, and the Shondell change has made Purdue a consistent winner in the toughest conference in women's volleyball! I plan to attend and will be patient with Katie!
That's not what I asked.... I asked if anyone attended the WBB open scrimmage on October 16 and had any comments on the scrimmage to give us all some enlightenment on how Katie's new team looks?

Well- the final period the team scrimmaged what appeared to be 5 random guys. Not the worst players in the world but certainly not college level guys. The guys defeated the girls team pretty easily. There are a couple girls players that stand out (Jayla Smith) as having some talent, but for the most part I was thinking- how are these Big 10 caliber players? They aren't for the most part. It reminded me of Painter's first season when we were playing guys like Marcus Green and Nate Minnoy heavy minutes.

I have seen quite a few high school girls teams that have had a starting 5 that were all more talented than Purdue's 3rd best player. I believe the 2008-2010 Ben Davis Giants would have been able to beat this year's Purdue team pretty easily.

Thanks so much... finally someone that actually attended the scrimmage with some insight... I may go back to my original prediction of only 5 wins for this team this season. It appears that RaShaya Kyle is still way too heavy and looks out of shape from brief PU WBB Twitter account practice video. This could be a long, long season for them.

Just being honest.
That would be a stunner, Purdue has 3-4 girls who were Miss Basketballs I believe. Smith, Layden, Kyle all big time recruits, few others as well. You might be correct about the team but I can guarantee they’re winning a Indiana state title if it were High School.

That would be a stunner, Purdue has 3-4 girls who were Miss Basketballs I believe. Smith, Layden, Kyle all big time recruits, few others as well. You might be correct about the team but I can guarantee they’re winning a Indiana state title if it were High School.
Are you aware of how many D1 players that ben davis team had?

Are you aware of how many D1 players that ben davis team had?
Yes, in a given season I’m guessing they didn’t have a team with more than 3 all staters though. Smith and Madison are Miss Basketball’s, Kyle was a top 25-30 recruit, a couple of transfers were double digit division 1 scorers. Also, I believe Purdue got a Illinois starter that averaged close to 10 a game last year. If there’s a Indiana High School team that’s better than that then we’re talking one of the greatest ever. There’s a big difference in High School and Big Ten D-1 hoops.

The assessment that a good high school team could be our team seems unreal. Even under Versyp, Purdue won some BT conference games last year. I am not expecting any miracles, but we do have some decent players. Otherwise, from what you say, I can't imagine we would win a single game. I guess we'll see.

Yes, in a given season I’m guessing they didn’t have a team with more than 3 all staters though. Smith and Madison are Miss Basketball’s, Kyle was a top 25-30 recruit, a couple of transfers were double digit division 1 scorers. Also, I believe Purdue got a Illinois starter that averaged close to 10 a game last year. If there’s a Indiana High School team that’s better than that then we’re talking one of the greatest ever. There’s a big difference in High School and Big Ten D-1 hoops.

Alex Bentley and Bria Goss were both on that undefeated 2009 team- I would say both of those are better players than anyone that Purdue currently has. On too of that they had DeeDee Williams who played here, Demtetria Nunley-Lash, Emily Huber, Jordan Huber and Vivian Holcomb and Deirra Goss.

Yes- it was potentially the best Indiana high school team ever. A B10 team should still be better though. I am not sure this one is.

Not all Miss Basketball’s are created equal. Bentley was a WNBA player- she woulda been one most years… but she was in the same class as Diggins.

• Haha
Alex Bentley and Bria Goss were both on that undefeated 2009 team- I would say both of those are better players than anyone that Purdue currently has. On too of that they had DeeDee Williams who played here, Demtetria Nunley-Lash, Emily Huber, Jordan Huber and Vivian Holcomb and Deirra Goss.

Yes- it was potentially the best Indiana high school team ever. A B10 team should still be better though. I am not sure this one is.

Not all Miss Basketball’s are created equal. Bentley was a WNBA player- she woulda been one most years… but she was in the same class as Diggins.
That was a helluve team, my main point was that even this Purdue team at the least wins a girls state title, that’s not really saying much though. We hear these arguements a lot when it comes to Alabama beating the worst NFL team, it won’t happen I don’t believe, every player is a NFL guy, in Bama’s case maybe 15-20 are. As for this Purdue team I’m guessing they win between 12-15 games, they have some talent that they’ll pull a surprise or two.

That was a helluve team, my main point was that even this Purdue team at the least wins a girls state title, that’s not really saying much though. We hear these arguements a lot when it comes to Alabama beating the worst NFL team, it won’t happen I don’t believe, every player is a NFL guy, in Bama’s case maybe 15-20 are. As for this Purdue team I’m guessing they win between 12-15 games, they have some talent that they’ll pull a surprise or two.

Yeah- except in this case I believe the majority of this team is not Power 5 caliber. They would certainly win the state title in many or most years- but I am not sold that they would win in every year.

The Alabama vs NFL thing has always been a ridiculous exaggeration that should mostly be take as a joke- but I am much more serious in this case.

There is a reason the program that was once one of the top 2-3 programs in the B10- top program at times- has fallen to the bottom of the conference. Just not good talent. Even saying we have 3 Indiana Miss Basketballs can be deceiving if you are thinking any Miss Basketball is as good as another. I have seen some extreme variance there. One Miss Basketball may be a top 5-10 player in the entire country while another might not be top 100

• Haha
Yeah- except in this case I believe the majority of this team is not Power 5 caliber. They would certainly win the state title in many or most years- but I am not sold that they would win in every year.

The Alabama vs NFL thing has always been a ridiculous exaggeration that should mostly be take as a joke- but I am much more serious in this case.

There is a reason the program that was once one of the top 2-3 programs in the B10- top program at times- has fallen to the bottom of the conference. Just not good talent. Even saying we have 3 Indiana Miss Basketballs can be deceiving if you are thinking any Miss Basketball is as good as another. I have seen some extreme variance there. One Miss Basketball may be a top 5-10 player in the entire country while another might not be top 100
True about the Miss Basketball rankings stuff, I think ours were both top 50 type players, not entirely sure though. You bring up great points, I guess we’ll see how the team does, like I said 12-15 wins is the range I’m putting them in.

Reactions: IUhaterade
True about the Miss Basketball rankings stuff, I think ours were both top 50 type players, not entirely sure though. You bring up great points, I guess we’ll see how the team does, like I said 12-15 wins is the range I’m putting them in.

I'll take the under on 13.5- but I am hopeful for improvement in the near future!

But your theory that coverage on GBI will improve as the WBB Team improves is baseless. Both WVB and WSoccer are currently ranked and have been and GBI continues to ignore them…. So I have no reason to believe the GBI powers that be will change their attitude about what or whom they consider worthy enough to follow. Wish you were right and I was wrong but….

I listened to a replay of the Katie Gearlds show tonight - she said more than once she fully expects to be better than .500 this season. Says they will play up tempo, man-to-man D, and expressed confidence in transfers Ellis and the one from Illinois (drawing a blank on her name).
She sounded so upbeat it’s refreshing.

I listened to a replay of the Katie Gearlds show tonight - she said more than once she fully expects to be better than .500 this season. Says they will play up tempo, man-to-man D, and expressed confidence in transfers Ellis and the one from Illinois (drawing a blank on her name).

You think a new coach trying to improve the culture is going to say she expects to win less than half of their games?

I stand by my prediction of between 12-15 wins, this team will win some ballgames, there’s some talent. We’ll re-examine this at a later time, I hope I’m wrong and they win closer to 20 which is a stretch but one never knows.

Reactions: DocRon
I stand by my prediction of between 12-15 wins, this team will win some ballgames, there’s some talent. We’ll re-examine this at a later time, I hope I’m wrong and they win closer to 20 which is a stretch but one never knows.
It would be really good for the program if you turn out to be right and we can start gaining some momentum- I just think next season might be more realistic for 15+ wins. In CMP's 1st season- after Teague and Landry were both lost for the season- there was still "some talent" on the team. There were players that had some talent- but it was not nearly enough team-wide talent. This 1st season roster for Katie reminds me a lot of that team. Let's just hope that the 2 best players don't go down with major injuries like Teague and Landry did.

Reactions: DocRon
But your theory that coverage on GBI will improve as the WBB Team improves is baseless. Both WVB and WSoccer are currently ranked and have been and GBI continues to ignore them…. So I have no reason to believe the GBI powers that be will change their attitude about what or whom they consider worthy enough to follow. Wish you were right and I was wrong but….
You may be right! I was excited when Sharon Versyp became the head coach and I predicted that Larry Bird was too slow to make it in the NBA. I also predicted that Kent Benson would make it to the NBA when he was a tall (6'9") freshman for New Castle and played against Lafayette Jeff.

On a secondary commentary, WBB was covered by GBI when the average attendance was legitimately in the 8,000+ range and interest in the team warranted coverage. At that time, WBB was close to a break even proposition for Purdue Athletics, and was probably a break even for GBI also. Purdue has much deeper pockets than GBI, more pockets, and can continue financial support for limited revenue generating activities. On the other hand, GBI is a small entrepreneurial business and cannot afford the luxury of dedicating financial resources to unprofitable ventures. Rankings are not the issue for GBI; the ability to make a profit is their bench mark!

Yep. And add to ranked sports wrestling, swimming/diving and an excellent golf team. I think the WBB could go to the FF and there would be nary a word from GBI. For economic reasons they have made their decision and they will stick to it.

It is up to us on this board to keep the news current (with a little contribution by the Lafayette J&C and Purduesports.com.)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT