ADVERTISEMENT

Scrimmage

We should be able to find minutes for many. I believe we are the best team in the country. The killer last year was a lack of depth to support two great freshman guards. Having watched at least 20 games last year alone of Myles on his worst day he adds depth to this team. Along with all the experience added from being the hunted the last 2 years IMO will be enough to take us to the FF.

For sure. It seemed at times it was only Braden back there and no one else…and then he got in a habit of running to the corners…which obviously is a no no and at his height, definitely doesn’t put him in a favorable spot. Hope he gets more help/we finally figure out a press.
There is no secret to different zone presses or even man presses. Attacking it or just breaking it is a function of the perspective the coaches hold with the particular players on the court. I too was troubled with the pass to the corner and then finally had a reason why that happened more out of necessity rather than poor choice.

However, I can't recall what I was thinking last year. I did see other teams run into the same issue and yet I know for a fact that any coach at the college level fully understands the different ways of attacking a zone press and would hope that high school coaches as well understand. I'm thinking last year it was the 2-2-1 zone press that Purdue saw and I think it was only FDU that employed a run and jump.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
There is no secret to different zone presses or even man presses. Attacking it or just breaking it is a function of the perspective the coaches hold with the particular players on the court. I too was troubled with the pass to the corner and then finally had a reason why that happened more out of necessity rather than poor choice.

However, I can't recall what I was thinking last year. I did see other teams run into the same issue and yet I know for a fact that any coach at the college level fully understands the different ways of attacking a zone press and would hope that high school coaches as well understand. I'm thinking last year it was the 2-2-1 zone press that Purdue saw and I think it was only FDU that employed a run and jump.
Yeah, but our talent and also watching film should have prepared us for their press. Why can’t we stick a big, hell even edey, every now and then at the foul line, in bound to them and he can turn and face and hit a wing streaking up the sideline or pass back to the pg to bring it up. I know easier said than done, but we need to start doing something different cuz what we are doing isn’t working for the past…well painters tenure.

Last thing on Smith and the narrative that he just wore out. Smith was bad in his last two games. No doubt but the three games prior to those he played great. In fact in the third to last game of the year he played 30 minutes, was 5 for 5 from the floor (14 points), had 5 rebounds, 5 assists and 1 turnover. He scored 15 points two games earlier. In fact prior to his 7 turnover game in the NCAA Tournament, he didn't have more than 2 turnovers in the prior 8 games.

I got hoarse screaming "Get out of the damned corner!" I get paid zero to coach, so I have zero value, but running both guards in opposite directions in front of the in-bounder never failed for my teams. Give them the ball on the move ... no way to stop them without fouling. On the other hand, everyone who presses has super quick defenders ... ergo why they press. You mention necessity. I can agree, but how did it become a necessity ... oh, you said it!!! Braden was the only one back.

Reactions: tjreese
Yeah, but our talent and also watching film should have prepared us for their press. Why can’t we stick a big, hell even edey, every now and then at the foul line, in bound to them and he can turn and face and hit a wing streaking up the sideline or pass back to the pg to bring it up. I know easier said than done, but we need to start doing something different cuz what we are doing isn’t working for the past…well painters tenure.
AGree

Actually it was never an issue with Matt when he had Carsen, Lew Jack or even Ronnie Johnson and I doubt it will be this year either...assuming Lance is good to go at those times. There are zone presses that cover that FT line and there is a possibility that if Zach went to the FT line that the D covers all the other players for a return pass and then forces Zach to dribble...or Zach is not a good passer when players are covered? Every single approach on O and D have strengths and weaknesses and as a system as well as the personnel. The closest thing to an elixir is to have a few players "capable and willing" to handle the ball and a player of Carsen, Lew Jack and Ronnie Johnson's quickness...and that is for all zone presses. A simple man press will not be an issue. A run and jump should be less effective since Braden and Fletch have a year. Braden's dad used to play a run and jump with Austin Parkinson and so I'm sure the knowledge has been shared by him as well as the coaches.

I have NO DOUBT film was shown for Purdue and film shared in how Purdue attacks zone presses, but you still need more than one player to be effective against a zone press...and again those players must be capable and willing.

Last edited:
But he won't be a freshmen next year. He's 20 years old.

Jayden Ivey was 20 years old when the NBA started last year. He averaged 31 minutes over 74 games. He played 12 back to backs and averaged 33 minutes in those games. In April (last 5 games) he averaged 37 minutes and played over 42 in two of them.

I'd be shocked if a guy Smith's athleticism and talent can't play close to 30 minutes twice a week.

Now if a third team MVC guard is nearly as good as him, that's a different story. I won't believe it until I see it. I truly believe Smith is Purdue's best point guard in the last 20 + years. Jones had more turnovers than assists at Southern Illinois over 119 games and after 1 scrimmage we've determined he's going to be taking minutes from Smith? I'm not buying it.
I have no doubt he can play 30 min… I was saying will he be fatigued like he was last year. A lot was due to him having to break the press by himself it seemed, by dribbling through teams. If we can correct that and have a press breaker where he doesn’t have to, I would assume he wouldn’t be as gassed. I agree he is prob the best true PG in awhile, so the ball should be in his hands. But he’s not as effective if he’s tired. I think if 2-7 mins/game go to Jones at PG while Braden takes a bit of a rest, I think we’d still be fine.

I have no doubt he can play 30 min… I was saying will he be fatigued like he was last year. A lot was due to him having to break the press by himself it seemed, by dribbling through teams. If we can correct that and have a press breaker where he doesn’t have to, I would assume he wouldn’t be as gassed. I agree he is prob the best true PG in awhile, so the ball should be in his hands. But he’s not as effective if he’s tired. I think if 2-7 mins/game go to Jones at PG while Braden takes a bit of a rest, I think we’d still be fine.
There is no comparison in mileage between Braden running all over the court running the show than Jaden getting it sometime as the clock winds down or in half court. Those minutes are not equal in court coverage...not close and if they were...do all players have the same fatigue factor

I got hoarse screaming "Get out of the damned corner!" I get paid zero to coach, so I have zero value, but running both guards in opposite directions in front of the in-bounder never failed for my teams. Give them the ball on the move ... no way to stop them without fouling. On the other hand, everyone who presses has super quick defenders ... ergo why they press. You mention necessity. I can agree, but how did it become a necessity ... oh, you said it!!! Braden was the only one back.
What I think may have happened...just thinking about it and not seeing it recently is that in the 2-2-1 they pulled the front 2 closer to the FT and may have cheated a bit when nobody came for them to hold at the FT line...towards Braden and the next 2 were quick enough to cover a longer pass keeping Braden in front of the front 2. Course you could do about the same thing playing a diamond and 1 and putting the frt 1 on the FT line and the trap only occuring when the dribble starts. No matter what unless the player can break a zone press by himself...others must handle the ball and that is for almost all teams. Not only did the players not want to shoot against FDU since they were shooting so poorly, but nobody wanted to handle the ball against their quickness. Brandon got the ball and immediately threw it back toward the basket for FDU to catch it for 2 points and Mason was very reluctant to put the ball on the court to just get it across the half court on the dribble. I have to believe a year older for Fletcher and Braden while adding Lance, Myles, Camden and Brian has to help, but even then if in bonus some may not want to be fouled and put into that position and so they are not willing players even if capable. None of the players want to turn it over and sometimes some players don't want to be in the position where a FT is crucial. Lot of individual things that could be in play...

There is no comparison in mileage between Braden running all over the court running the show than Jaden getting it sometime as the clock winds down or in half court. Those minutes are not equal in court coverage...not close and if they were...do all players have the same fatigue factor
The facts are that Braden had a couple of bad games to end the year. Up until that point he was playing well. The stats back it up. So unless your argument is that between game 33 and 34 he all of a sudden hit a wall, I'm not buying it. There is a much stronger argument for Loyer. He wasn't the same player the second half of the year.

Smith will average at least 28+ minutes next year and if I was a betting man I'd take the over on 30.

Reactions: bonefish1
The facts are that Braden had a couple of bad games to end the year. Up until that point he was playing well. The stats back it up. So unless your argument is that between game 33 and 34 he all of a sudden hit a wall, I'm not buying it. There is a much stronger argument for Loyer. He wasn't the same player the second half of the year.

Smith will average at least 28+ minutes next year and if I was a betting man I'd take the over on 30.
To be honest I have no idea who the teams were and what was going on on O and D that "may or may" not have been different than before? I'm guessing that was the Big Championship and FDU, but haven't looked. I know for a fact he was winded earlier in the year. I also know that he covers a lot of miles in how he plays. What I don't know is if the sleep was the same and/or other stress added to fatigue and poor quality sleep. Personally, it doesn't matter. He has to play the way he knows and see how it goes.

I think I would prefer under 30 depending on how they are playing him or how he needs to move on O and D, but maybe this year he can handle up to 32 or so. All minutes in all games are not the same, and if they were due to playing styles let alone any physical or mental issues leading up to the games in question, those too could be in play. Was there reason why fatigue might have resulted due to internal pressure that was self imposed that hindered rest for games 33 and 34? Were they a bit more important that maybe was hard to get quality rest? None of this I know and there are soooooooo many causes that would make a freshman more at risk than a player that has already went through it. Yes, Fletch had worn out too. They share an apartment as well...

This seems like some revisionist history. The press has always been an issue with Matt.
Then name the type of press and what you would do different than Matt since Vince Edwards told me they practiced everything I asked a few years ago. Apparently I never had any suggestions for that group that hadn't been practiced. Nothing new under the sun from me apparently

Perhaps I can envision your approach should Purdue struggle this year, although I don't think they will if Lance is a go at the time to help Braden. Sometimes a fresh set of eyes opens the door to other things...

It's not just that -- it's also the fact that, as good as Zach is, I think it's fair to wonder if, at times, does playing through Zach all the time make Purdue a bit TOO traditional and one-dimensional...which ultimately hurt them in the NCAA tournament.
What hurt them in the tournament was we couldn't a wide open 3. They sold out on zach. This is just a crazy view imo. He's the best player in the country and if we can't hit wide open threes it's not in any way his fault. There were players not named Zach that were just awful.

Last thing on Smith and the narrative that he just wore out. Smith was bad in his last two games. No doubt but the three games prior to those he played great. In fact in the third to last game of the year he played 30 minutes, was 5 for 5 from the floor (14 points), had 5 rebounds, 5 assists and 1 turnover. He scored 15 points two games earlier. In fact prior to his 7 turnover game in the NCAA Tournament, he didn't have more than 2 turnovers in the prior 8 games.
He should have shot more in the tourney game but he and zach are the last guys to complain about. Some were trending poorly...maybe due to injury or hitting a wall, others they dared to shoot for good reason and were just too one dimensional all season, and some just had a bad game.

He should have shot more in the tourney game but he and zach are the last guys to complain about. Some were trending poorly...maybe due to injury or hitting a wall, others they dared to shoot for good reason and were just too one dimensional all season, and some just had a bad game.
Braden was the second most impactful player on the team last year and we all "should" know who was first. Matter of fact...take out Zach and the team may fill that gap better than if they took out Braden

But he won't be a freshmen next year. He's 20 years old.

Jayden Ivey was 20 years old when the NBA started last year. He averaged 31 minutes over 74 games. He played 12 back to backs and averaged 33 minutes in those games. In April (last 5 games) he averaged 37 minutes and played over 42 in two of them.

I'd be shocked if a guy Smith's athleticism and talent can't play close to 30 minutes twice a week.

Now if a third team MVC guard is nearly as good as him, that's a different story. I won't believe it until I see it. I truly believe Smith is Purdue's best point guard in the last 20 + years. Jones had more turnovers than assists at Southern Illinois over 119 games and after 1 scrimmage we've determined he's going to be taking minutes from Smith? I'm not buying it.
He will get minutes, but I doubt he is taking them away from Braden. There will be minutes Braden won't play and he will help in that regard. He may also play with Braden at times I suspect. Too many unknowns to be very confident in how things shake out, but Braden is pretty good. Camden the other day declared he was playing with the best PG in the nation. Perhaps that isn't true, but it does tell you what some coaches and players that see him all the time think. Fletch was shocked and even commented that Lance has stolen the ball twice from Braden this year as a feat he thought would never happen...tells you a bit about Braden and Lance.

What hurt them in the tournament was we couldn't a wide open 3. They sold out on zach. This is just a crazy view imo. He's the best player in the country and if we can't hit wide open threes it's not in any way his fault. There were players not named Zach that were just awful.
I hear you, and you’re entitled to your opinion.

Again, I don’t think it’s as simple as guys were missing wide open 3s. I think there are multiple reasons and that it’s more nuanced than that.

When you’re playing basketball and you’re not within the flow and/or involved in the offense, it has the potential to impact your offense as an individual player.

In other words, sometimes, when it’s always just ‘throw it into Zach,’ this can force shooters to tighten up and/or not feel like they’re in the natural flow/sync with the offense, which leads to playing tight and missing more open shots.

When it’s just “let’s do everything to cater to Zach,” this can negatively impact the rest of the team, psychologically. It doesn’t seem like Painter is aware of this, which concerns me a bit.

Then name the type of press and what you would do different than Matt since Vince Edwards told me they practiced everything I asked a few years ago. Apparently I never had any suggestions for that group that hadn't been practiced. Nothing new under the sun from me apparently

Perhaps I can envision your approach should Purdue struggle this year, although I don't think they will if Lance is a go at the time to help Braden. Sometimes a fresh set of eyes opens the door to other things...
I’m not claiming to have an answer to the team’s struggles against the press; I’m just pointing out that even with those guards you mentioned, it was still a struggle. Your list did make me realize how frequently we have short, undersized guards though. I’d say maybe that was the issue, but we were still pretty bad when we had Nojel running the point. Personally, I wish we would stop running Edey down the court to the other end while our guards get trapped and then turn it over. We’re effectively eliminating him as an outlet and, when we do turn it over, letting the other team have a clear path to the basket because our best rim defender is 80 feet from the play.

Reactions: Schnelk

Again, I don’t think it’s as simple as guys were missing wide open 3s. I think there are multiple reasons and that it’s more nuanced than that.

When you’re playing basketball and you’re not within the flow and/or involved in the offense, it has the potential to impact your offense as an individual player.

In other words, sometimes, when it’s always just ‘throw it into Zach,’ this can force shooters to tighten up and/or not feel like they’re in the natural flow/sync with the offense, which leads to playing tight and missing more open shots.

When it’s just “let’s do everything to cater to Zach,” this can negatively impact the rest of the team, psychologically. It doesn’t seem like Painter is aware of this, which concerns me a bit.
I think flow can be affected with that as well as other ways, but unsure how to reconcile that with tourney and not previous games. I’m sure Matt may understand this as a possible side effect but doesn’t believe it has to be that way I guess. Not a whole lot different than my comments about mindset flip for Braden from shoot last to shoot earlier than last option in split second. You are talking about the mental psyche and Matt is probably less an emotional coach than many and more quantitative perhaps?

Last edited:
Reactions: BoilerDeac
I’m not claiming to have an answer to the team’s struggles against the press; I’m just pointing out that even with those guards you mentioned, it was still a struggle. Your list did make me realize how frequently we have short, undersized guards though. I’d say maybe that was the issue, but we were still pretty bad when we had Nojel running the point. Personally, I wish we would stop running Edey down the court to the other end while our guards get trapped and then turn it over. We’re effectively eliminating him as an outlet and, when we do turn it over, letting the other team have a clear path to the basket because our best rim defender is 80 feet from the play.
Well I disagree that the press was an issue with LewJack, Carsen and Ronnie and pointed it out those years because you were not the first to imply that Matt didn’t know how to break a zone press. However, having two people with different memories of a particular event is quite common and I could be wrong.

You would like to go over the top against a zone press, but with the quickness of the players I mentioned they could break it because all D is about distance and time to cover that distance. Being short and slow is not a good situation said PJ and that is to not discredit pj because he was a good player for Purdue but that was his Achilles heel

Last edited:
Reactions: BoilerAndy
Well I disagree that the press was an issue with LewJack, Carsen and Ronnie and pointed it out those years because you were not the first to imply that Matt didn’t know how to break a zone press. However, having two people with different memories of a particular event is quite common and I could be wrong.

You would like to go over the top against a zone press, but with the quickness of the players I mentioned they could break it because all D is about distance and time to cover that distance. Being short and slow is not a good situation said PJ and that is to not discredit pj because he was a good player for Purdue but that was his Achilles heel
Agree that the revisionist history is saying that Purdue ‘always’ struggled with the press under Painter.

They literally sold out on zach. If anyone could hit a shot it would have fell apart. There were times when there were 3 guys on zach and 2 on the other 4 guys. I'm trying to be nice to the other guys on the team but come on. Furst diving to the basket on the back side wasn't going to work when they've got 3 guys in the lane and someone passing up a wide open 3 to drive to the basket over and over wasn't going to work either. Nobody could hit an open shot and they weren't shy in exposing some of our guys for what they are. Edey had 21 and 15. The team shot 19% from 3 and they were wide open shots. B10 players on a championship team shot 19% from 3 on shots that weren't contested.

Last edited:
Reactions: Heads up BOILER
This seems like some revisionist history. The press has always been an issue with Matt.
In LewJack’s senior year, Purdue was the best team in the country in terms of turnover percentage. Nobody tried to press the 2019 Elite Eight team with Carsen, either. I agree with Ronnie Johnson, as well. The Cincinnati tournament game and Little Rock the next year were after he left.

My gut says that Purdue will be greatly improved against the press this season. I really want to see this team generate easy buckets against it this season and I think Purdue has the personnel to do so.

I think flow can be effected with that as well as other ways, but unsure how to reconcile that with tourney and not previous games. I’m sure Matt may understand this as a possible side effect but doesn’t believe it has to be that way I guess. Not a whole lot different than my comments about mindset flip for Braden from shoot last to shoot earlier than last option in split second. You are talking about the mental psyche and Matt is probably less an emotional coach than many and more quantitative perhaps?
Loyer was a big problem at the end of the season. Everyone on our team had issues at the end except edey and it all culminated in the tourney.

Agree that the revisionist history is saying that Purdue ‘always’ struggled with the press under Painter.
Zone presses and half court presses are something quite often discussed and so they get a bit more attention than some things from me. although I could be wrong, I 'm pretty confident that the players I mentioned had no issues with zone presses or traps. I distinctively point it out a few times when Carsen was playing. Does anyone recall presses hurting Purdue when Lew Jack played? There were plenty of issues when Ronnie played but the press was not one. Carsen was fine as well. Actually Underwood tried putting a lot of pressure on Carsen (can't remember if it was man or zone) and ended up shaking his head and congratulating Carsen that went for 42 I'm thinking at Illinois??? Most people have in their minds the Little Rock game...and perhaps Cincy as well. Then you have Iowa where PJ and Rapheal struggled on Rick Mount night the second half at Purdue. Those games stick in people's minds and then they tend to think it always happens, but when personnel was different it didn't happen leading one to conclude that Matt either or both... 1) knows how to break a press 2)only knows how to break a press with certain types of players.

Loyer was a big problem at the end of the season. Everyone on our team had issues at the end except edey and it all culminated in the tourney.
Collectively the team was not playing as well the last month or so of the season or if they were...the other teams were playing better than they were earlier in the season. I'm unsure that if the team was having issues that everyone was having issues although some had to be within the players getting minutes. If the 3 &4 were struggling and then the 1 and/or 2 struggled it would be enough that the team struggled. The 3 & 4 other than a few spots were not contributing like the 1 & 2 and so if the 1 and/or 2 struggled with a 3&4 struggling the team effect would be significant I imagine. Still the team won the Big Tournament and so playing less effective was still good enough to win. I will not suggest I know why Purdue struggled in comparison to earlier in the year because there are a lot of reasons for that...and many have already been mentioned.

If you think our team would be better without Zach then you are crazy....I loved what I saw from both tkr and furst....they both have gotten quicker and stronger...but furst still can't shoot...tkr is still a center trapped in a forwards body...edey is the most dominant college player in a decade and might be the best player Purdue has ever had...he's unstoppable on the block, can get almost any rebound, has incredible mobility for a 7'4 guy, a great shot blocker...there's no comparison between edey and tkr/furst...I think it will be awesome this year to have furst/tkr as backups to edey....that's the best frontcourt in the country...but you scheme your team around an unstoppable force...I love the rest of our team but they are not nearly as effective without edey out there...smith and loyer work so well with edey and I'm sure jones will too from clips that I've seen...Gillis, heide, Colvin, Waddell can all shoot so we've got options there at forward....and it's not like edey camps in the lane all the time...he sets effective screens and attracts so much attention when he rolls to the bucket....we will get open shots, we will have more capable shooters, and we will have more guys that can get in the lane....edey does not make us one dimensional...we finally have guys that complement him a lot better...
The Big Dog was the best player Purdue has ever had.

We should be able to find minutes for many. I believe we are the best team in the country. The killer last year was a lack of depth to support two great freshman guards. Having watched at least 20 games last year alone of Myles on his worst day he adds depth to this team. Along with all the experience added from being the hunted the last 2 years IMO will be enough to take us to the FF.
"great" freshman guards. Not sure I'd go that far. They were good and exceeded expectations, but depends on your definition of "great" to label them that.

That's the problem with running your offense through the low post. It's much easier for a team to dominate a low post scorer, especially one who doesn't come away from the block, then it is to neutralize a dynamic ball handler who can score at different levels.
Painter being committed to the low post offense is one of the reasons he struggles in the tourney.

I'll go a step further and say that Big Dog is the best college basketball player I have seen play (at least the last 45 years).
Agree 100%. He was unstoppable most nights. It's unfortunate Keady could surround him with some talent at the G or center position.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
Agree 100%. He was unstoppable most nights. It's unfortunate Keady could surround him with some talent at the G or center position.
What many thought back then

mxyq5tw2kbanrgoemhku

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT