ADVERTISEMENT

Any news on Okoro yet?

Biggie did come to Purdue because of Rosie but it was strictly a business move. Do you really believe his numbers would look like that at MSU? He isn't going to beat you with his athletic ability and he is undersized to play the 5 in the NBA. To me it made sense. His stats got him drafted in the 1st round.

Reactions: tjreese
Is it better than West Lafayette?

Not that it matters at all, but to answer your question:

I would rather live in WL.

Similarly sized communities, but WL is cheaper. Eugene is two hours from the nearest airport in Portland, and even then I wouldn't consider PDX a major airport. The weather is a little more temperate than Indiana, but instead of snow you get rain in the winter, so to me that's a wash. I'm not really in line with the politics of Oregon in general either.

People that think Oregon is some lush wonderland probably haven't been there. I posted a mapview from just north of Eugene. Not that much different from Indiana, right?

You seem like a troll.

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.2869032,-123.0784939,3a,75y,47.17h,94.54t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1ser_yyqm-9fAoxPJHwHxztg!2e0!6s//geo0.ggpht.com/cbk?panoid=er_yyqm-9fAoxPJHwHxztg&output=thumbnail&cb_client=maps_sv.tactile.gps&thumb=2&w=203&h=100&yaw=270.78305&pitch=0&thumbfov=100!7i13312!8i6656

Purdue's reputation as being a great academic school as a factor in a basketball recruit's decision is a little overblown. The facts are every big 10 school has a tremendous academic reputation. To be honest, many SEC and PAC 12 schools also offer a great academic degree. Even IU and Norte Dame offer tremendous academic programs in certain areas. The last time I looked, Rose Holman's engineering school was rated higher than Purdue.

For any athlete, if they don't want to be an aerospace engineer, can you really make a case that Purdue offers a better academic education? I can just see recruits saying they chose Purdue so they could take Chem 115 and calcullus 162. If I could have afforded it, I would have gone to Northwestern. I heard their business school is pretty good.

So when factoring in academics, is Purdue really that much better of a choice than Oregon or IU?

Reactions: BoilerDeac
Honestly, I was really disappointed with Oregon's campus. One of the things my family likes to do is check out a college campus if we're nearby. Just for reference, I live in the Pacific Northwest, and Stanford is my favorite campus I've ever seen.

The athletic facilities, specifically football, were amazing. It looks like they have a new basketball arena. There was a creek/river but I didn't think it was all that pretty, although I will admit it was prettier than the Wabash (Not that that's difficult). There was a swampy/woods area separating the football stadium from the rest of campus, which I thought was kind of dilapidated. Could obviously tell that all the money went to athletics.

It wasn't horrible, but let's not pretend that UO is in Malibu or Oahu.
I guess to each his own. I've been to Eugene and to me it's much nicer the West Lafayette. Maybe I liked the mountains more than the corn fields.

Reactions: Beeazlebub
The only reason people were ever talking about computer science is because rumors around Okoro were that academics were very important to him and he wanted to go to an elite school.

We rarely talk about academics when it comes to recruits, but when one of them brings it up as being important, then that should give Purdue a leg up. Turns out that Okoro was just all talk in that regard.
I think you're ignoring relatively and/or perspective. You've got to appreciate that it's all relative. I've not looked at Oregon's academic programs, but I'd be shocked if they don't offer one in computer science. When people like you and me talk about factoring in academics for school selection, we think in terms of right blend of eliteness and value (getting the best education for your dollar spent, maximized over a lifetime of earning).

When top basketball players with reasonable likelihood of playing professionally talk about weighing academics, they're viewing academics secondarily - most likely. So long as the academics are "good enough", that's what matters. Then the law of diminishing returns kicks in and being the 20th ranked school in something vs 40th ranked is less of a factor. (just making up numbers here)

I guess I just think it's kind of cheap shot to him to say if he picks Oregon then he must have been all talk when he said he wanted a quality education. Even if they aren't as good as Purdue overall, they're not some directional vocational school.

Last edited:
Conference BBall Strength: PUR
Academics: PUR
BBall History: PUR
Overall Athletics: ORE
TV exposure (East coast time and BTN): PUR
Nike/sizzle: ORE
Girls: DRAW (based on overall enrollment. ORE prob hotter at the top, but we have more (41K v 23K)
Perception of being Ivy league outside of their home region: PUR

Winner = PURDUE

Welcome Francis!

So when factoring in academics, is Purdue really that much better of a choice than Oregon or IU?
Well yes, of course PU is a better choice. Okoro specifically spoke of Computer Science, and PUR is #12 in CS while ORE (64) and IU (55) aren't in the Top 50. ORE would only be ahead of NEB in overall B1G rankings. They'd basically be last place.

The question is whether or not academics are TRULY a factor. If you ARE seriously factoring in academics then yes, PUR is the better choice. If you aren't and academics are a sidenote, then not so much bc it doesn't really matter.

Last edited:
Well yes, of course PU is a better choice. Okoro specifically spoke of Computer Science, and PUR is #12 in CS while ORE and IU aren't in the Top 55. ORE would only be ahead of NEB in overall B1G rankings. They'd basically be last place.

The question is whether or not academics are TRULY a factor. If you ARE seriously factoring in academics then yes, PUR is the better choice. If you aren't and academics are a sidenote, then not so much bc it doesn't really matter.
I’m surprised we are ranked that low in CS. I would’ve guessed top 10 for sure.

I think you're ignoring relatively and/or perspective. You've got to appreciate that it's all relative. I've not looked at Oregon's academic programs, but I'd be shocked if they don't offer one in computer science. When people like you and me talk about factoring in academics for school selection, we think in terms of right blend of eliteness and value (getting the best education for your dollar spent, maximized over a lifetime of earning).

When top basketball players with reasonable likelihood of playing professionally talk about weighing academics, they're viewing academics secondarily - most likely. So long as the academics are "good enough", that's what matters. Then the law of diminishing returns kicks in and being the 20th ranked school in something vs 40th ranked is less of a factor. (just making up numbers here)

I guess I just think it's kind of cheap shot to him to say if he picks Oregon then he must have been all talk when he said he wanted a quality education. Even if they aren't as good as Purdue overall, they're not some directional vocational school.

I looked - Oregon does offer CS.

Seems like we're arguing semantics here. I'm saying he's all talk, you're saying we must adjust what athletes say because when they consider academics they consider them so lightly to the point of being negligible.

Obviously Okoro can pick whatever school he wants based on whatever criteria he wants. Pardon me for hearing him when he says academics are very important for him.

Reactions: Emartin70287
I looked - Oregon does offer CS.

Seems like we're arguing semantics here. I'm saying he's all talk, you're saying we must adjust what athletes say because when they consider academics they consider them so lightly to the point of being negligible.

Obviously Okoro can pick whatever school he wants based on whatever criteria he wants. Pardon me for hearing him when he says academics are very important for him.
I'm saying you took one statement "academics are important to me" to be the equivalent of him saying "I'm going to best damn school I can get admitted to and there's no if's, and's, or but's about it". So for starters, you and others have built this into what it is. Then if he goes to another school, you get to disparage him because he doesn't value academics.

Secondly, I didn't say academics were negligible, I said you need to keep a perspective on it. I'm guessing - yes, a guess - that he's not picking a school based on the 40-yr career he's going to have working in the computer science field. His basketball future - again, my guess - is more important to his selection of a school than the USNWR ranking for his intended degree. Nevermind the fact that 75%+ of basketball players at Purdue (and other schools) all coincidentally end up in the same major anyway!

To be fair, I'm not saying he's making a right or wrong choice either way. I'm merely pointing out how silly it was to think academic ranking of a major was in the selection process, and further, how silly it is to discount him as a person by saying he doesn't value an education if he doesn't put on the right basketball jersey.

Last edited:
To be fair, I'm not saying he's making a right or wrong choice either way. I'm merely pointing out how silly it was to think academic ranking of a major was in the selection process, and further, how silly it is to discount him as a person by saying he doesn't value an education if he doesn't put on the right basketball jersey.

Once again, the reason academics were discussed on here is because he brought them up. You were smart enough to see that, despite what he said, academics would play a minuscule role in his decision.

An analogy:
I'm a potential employee, choosing between similar offers from different companies. I say at every interview "you know, work/life balance is very important to me." I end up picking the company with by far the worst the work/life balance. Is the HR guy at the company offering the best work/life balance an idiot for being confused by my choice? You make it seem so.

Purdue's reputation as being a great academic school as a factor in a basketball recruit's decision is a little overblown. The facts are every big 10 school has a tremendous academic reputation. To be honest, many SEC and PAC 12 schools also offer a great academic degree. Even IU and Norte Dame offer tremendous academic programs in certain areas. The last time I looked, Rose Holman's engineering school was rated higher than Purdue.

For any athlete, if they don't want to be an aerospace engineer, can you really make a case that Purdue offers a better academic education? I can just see recruits saying they chose Purdue so they could take Chem 115 and calcullus 162. If I could have afforded it, I would have gone to Northwestern. I heard their business school is pretty good.

This is spot on. The programs that Purdue excels at academically are not programs that athletes are generally able to take due to work load (Engineering). Schools like IU for instance offer strong undergrad programs (Kelley and Informatics) that athletes are able to complete because the work load isn't as heavy.

Did anyone happen to think CMP is just not a salesman? Before everyone goes there... No not paying players or making unrealistic promises but bonding with the prospect, listening to what they want and presenting Purdue’s value proposition and most importantly CLOSING. I’m not saying he is not a good coach when it comes to X’s and O’s, because he is very good in that regard but he’s not the most congenial guy and tends to be set in his ways at times. A little salesmanship could go a long way with CMP. In my mind, if we loose Okoro...it’s only because Altman out performed Painter.

An analogy:
I'm a potential employee, choosing between similar offers from different companies. I say at every interview "you know, work/life balance is very important to me." I end up picking the company with by far the worst the work/life balance. Is the HR guy at the company offering the best work/life balance an idiot for being confused by my choice? You make it seem so.
And you make it seem as though ever person has the exact same definition of work/life balance ... they don't. It's relative, just as I said earlier. How much work is too much work in the work/life spectrum depends on the person.

While Okoro said academics are important to him, does not mean that they are the single MOST important thing. Nor does it mean that other things are not important as well. You're summing up his entire recruitment in 1 sentence void of any additional context or knowledge. That seems silly to me, just as my take seems silly to you. Probably should just shake hands and agree to disagree.

Did anyone happen to think CMP is just not a salesman? Before everyone goes there... No not paying players or making unrealistic promises but bonding with the prospect, listening to what they want and presenting Purdue’s value proposition and most importantly CLOSING. I’m not saying he is not a good coach when it comes to X’s and O’s, because he is very good in that regard but he’s not the most congenial guy and tends to be set in his ways at times. A little salesmanship could go a long way with CMP. In my mind, if we loose Okoro...it’s only because Altman out performed Painter.
Or more realistically they choose to go somewhere else because of a myriad of reasons. By every account CMP is honest and upfront with them so should he lie?

What cracks me up is that we over analyze things on here to death with essentially zero insight in to it.

I personally think he didn't choose us because he went in alphabetical order and illinois was never in the picture.

Reactions: cjcollie
Painter is well aware he needs stop coming in second place. He was very open about it on Dakich this week.

Or more realistically they choose to go somewhere else because of a myriad of reasons. By every account CMP is honest and upfront with them so should he lie?

What cracks me up is that we over analyze things on here to death with essentially zero insight in to it.

I personally think he didn't choose us because he went in alphabetical order and illinois was never in the picture.
He hasn't chosen anyone yet ;)... it could still be Purdue! The only thing that has happened is some crystal ball picks. Yet some people will freak out and tear down a kid for a dumb decision (re: Oregon) that hasn't yet manifested and might not at all - but he was praised for being so smart just a couple days ago when we thought the pick was Purdue.

Reactions: cjcollie
He hasn't chosen anyone yet ;)... it could still be Purdue! The only thing that has happened is some crystal ball picks. Yet some people will freak out and tear down a kid for a dumb decision (re: Oregon) that hasn't yet manifested and might not at all - but he was praised for being so smart just a couple days ago when we thought the pick was Purdue.
Good points! That's fandom for ya :)

Spot on

I will clarify. I believe Purdue has an outstanding engineering school, and a tremendous computer science school. But I highly doubt any high school recruit cares that it's 11th best in the nation. It's great that Purdue is considered a great academic university. But I doubt it's great academic reputation is that great of a factor in bringing a recruit to purdue - especially an elite athlete in high school with dreams of playing in the NBA rather than studying plants or becoming a vet. how many athletes has Purdue had that were Ag majors or became a vet? if a recruit wants to be an engineer, I'm confident he'll give Purdue and our athletic teams consideration. but I highly doubt he spends more than 30 minutes on the internet researching what place our engineering academic standing is. While Oregon's program may pale in comparison to Purdue, I have to believe if they offer computer science as a degree, that will probably be good enough.

I doubt Langford spent much time reviewing the academic programs of the schools he was considering. Vandy was probably the best with Kansas as the worst. Indiana has a good music and business school, but I doubt either was much of a factor in his final decision.

Carsen can run the high pick and roll very effectively as well. In fact, probably more effectively than anyone else on the team.

And he may end up doing that. I only added in Eastern because he was always looking for the dash to the rim and it wasn't available in last years team. I believe if NE doesn't get those chances this year in bunches, he will transfer to a place where he can. I am not sold that NE can make that play consistently. We will know more as next season unfolds (tomorrow).

Reactions: BoilerDeac
I will go against what everyone is saying and say he does pick Purdue.

I saw on twitter today he is qualified for the 2018 class and I think with Taylor leaving it makes sense for him to pick Purdue.

Being a positive person here is rare.....try it sometime.

Boiler Up!

He released his "TOP 3" on his Instagram story last night.

Purdue, Oregon, and Illinois.

Seriously I just want this to be over with now.

As The Recruiting Turns.......stay tuned, Beef

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I love you to death, ChoiceBeef, you’re one of the few that goons on this board, but I haven’t felt good about this one, even when Brian did. I know my opinion matters to you.

Also, it looks like his Instagram profile avatar is one of him from his visit to Purdue. You can tell by how it is edited and how players in the past (even football recruits) get these done.

The kid is under a lot of pressure-internal and external-most of the stress is coming from UofI alum, fans and local community cheerleaders, reporters/columnists. If he picks PU, he will get a lot of criticism from friends, students, etc-maybe the easiest choice is OR ? If he moves to OR, he will not have to listen to all the critics nor be subjected to fans taunts when PU visits IL?

Last edited:
I love you to death, ChoiceBeef, you’re one of the few that goons on this board, but I haven’t felt good about this one, even when Brian did. I know my opinion matters to you.
I appreciate it - honestly once the news started rumbling about his age and needing to switch classes, I wasn't the most optimistic about our chances.

I will be glad when this is over so we can focus on recruits for 2019.

Reactions: mreeser
Also, it looks like his Instagram profile avatar is one of him from his visit to Purdue. You can tell by how it is edited and how players in the past (even football recruits) get these done.
Just looked at it and yeah that is for sure his Purdue official visit photo. Hilarious

Reactions: mreeser
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT