ADVERTISEMENT

Any news on Okoro yet?

Painter has landed a total of 3 top 50 recruits. 2 of them were over 10 years ago and because of cuonzo. The most recent one stated he didn't even want to come here but was convinced by his guardian who played basketball for Purdue. Its been 13 years with painter as coach, he is what he is. We aren't going to magically start landing these types of players. My hope is that he improves as an in game coach and is able to get us further than a s16.

Painter has landed a total of 3 top 50 recruits. 2 of them were over 10 years ago and because of cuonzo. The most recent one stated he didn't even want to come here but was convinced by his guardian who played basketball for Purdue. Its been 13 years with painter as coach, he is what he is. We aren't going to magically start landing these types of players. My hope is that he improves as an in game coach and is able to get us further than a s16.
There is some misinformation in your statement.

Dang. . . I was worried that was a link to your chili recipe. You know, the kind of chili that looks like it comes from a third world country . . .
I am assuming the 85 in your name is for the remaining brain cells or your IQ. Either way I feel bad for you and hope you seek the help you need.

Reactions: Purdue85
Crystal ball is 100% Oregon now...weird! Sucks if true. Unless you are a distance runner, don't know why you would want to go to Oregon for basketball. My hunch is the negative recruiting is taking its toll, but not sure.

Reactions: Roeder
Let’s go get shooter Austin Reaves now. He is visiting us soon. Reaves and Gillis would be nice additions.

Reactions: Purdue0034
Crystal ball is 100% Oregon now...weird! Sucks if true. Unless you are a distance runner, don't know why you would want to go to Oregon for basketball. My hunch is the negative recruiting is taking its toll, but not sure.

I wonder what happened - it said 80% Purdue yesterday or the day before. Weather is starting to turn nice here in the PNW - wonder if he visited again.

I wonder what happened - it said 80% Purdue yesterday or the day before. Weather is starting to turn nice here in the PNW - wonder if he visited again.
Likely Oregon caught wind of Purdue saying he could play the 4 and that he likes that idea...so they altered their approach and contacted him.

So much for him caring about the academic side.... Illinois and Purdue are hands down better in that regard.
For the majority of high major basketball players, academics matter, but only up to a certain point. And that point is generally somewhat low (relative to non-athletes such as ourselves), even for really smart athletes like Okoro. Program rankings to athletes are generally less important than whether the school has a curriculum designed to fit well with a basketball schedule. Rankings are less important than the overall academic support, like tutor programs. This list could go on and on.

The debate about which school has the better computer science program and stuff like that is just silly. It's a factor, but might as well be a non-factor because of how low it is on the list. It's a factor as in "oh good, you offer computer science here"... beyond that, what top athletes value for academics is largely the surrounding/supporting stuff. Point being, rankings are far more important to those picking a school primarily for academics vs. secondarily (i.e. those with professional basketball aspirations).

Last edited:
Reactions: BoilerDeac
So hearing some rumblings on the national board - he wants to go to Oregon but his family doesn't think it is a good idea since his minutes will be more limited at Oregon than Purdue.

Supposedly this isn't over just yet.
Smart family. I can see the pull Oregon has with younger kids given their direct link to Nike....but this needs to be a decision for the next 20-30 years...not the next 3-4.

Oregon has a beautiful campus. It is stunning. That alone could be pretty persuasive. Lots of good looking women and good places to eat. They have a cool football team with great uniforms. What is there not to like for a 17 year old?

On the other hand, his parents might be right. Going there his playing time might be limited, especially since UO is bringing in a couple kids in his class that rank higher, and who would probably push him to the bench. That might be true for 3 of his 4 years there. Much better opportunity at Purdue, but we just don't have the mountains and streams trough the campus! ...and you have to look a bit harder to find the pretty girls.

Reactions: boilerbusdriver
You’d have to pay me to play in the PAC-12

Seeing as this is Oregon, makes sense

He can always go to the NW for software development after graduating from Purdue with a CS degree. He will be in the NBA though after we develop him.

Oregon has a beautiful campus. It is stunning. That alone could be pretty persuasive. Lots of good looking women and good places to eat. They have a cool football team with great uniforms. What is there not to like for a 17 year old?

On the other hand, his parents might be right. Going there his playing time might be limited, especially since UO is bringing in a couple kids in his class that rank higher, and who would probably push him to the bench. That might be true for 3 of his 4 years there. Much better opportunity at Purdue, but we just don't have the mountains and streams trough the campus! ...and you have to look a bit harder to find the pretty girls.
Great area to deleveop CS skills as well. Hope he likes rain.

Spot on.

For the majority of high major basketball players, academics matter, but only up to a certain point. And that point is generally somewhat low (relative to non-athletes such as ourselves), even for really smart athletes like Okoro. Program rankings to athletes are generally less important than whether the school has a curriculum designed to fit well with a basketball schedule. Rankings are less important than the overall academic support, like tutor programs. This list could go on and on.

The debate about which school has the better computer science program and stuff like that is just silly. It's a factor, but might as well be a non-factor because of how low it is on the list. It's a factor as in "oh good, you offer computer science here"... beyond that, what top athletes value for academics is largely the surrounding/supporting stuff. Point being, rankings are far more important to those picking a school primarily for academics vs. secondarily (i.e. those with professional basketball aspirations).

well said. And even that said, there are plenty of very intelligent people who go to "average" academic institutions, and still do very well in this thing called life.

Hey, we have bodies of water:
"Close by the Waaaaaaaabash in famed Hoosier land!!!!!"

So hearing some rumblings on the national board - he wants to go to Oregon but his family doesn't think it is a good idea since his minutes will be more limited at Oregon than Purdue.

Supposedly this isn't over just yet.

If the kid wants to play another place than Purdue, then let him go. I know it is tough at this point since CMP has made such great inroads with the kid in the last month, but he wants to be somewhere else. He will not likely put in the work necessary to make the court. Now, if he changes his mind and is really convinced that Purdue is the place he wants to play, take him. He and Wheeler would be the perfect players to develop with Eastern on the high pick-n-roll that is the newest fad in college offenses. And I am not sure that is going to happen at Purdue since CMP has said in the last week that he will put the ball in Carsen Edward's hands more this coming year.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
If the kid wants to play another place than Purdue, then let him go. I know it is tough at this point since CMP has made such great inroads with the kid in the last month, but he wants to be somewhere else. He will not likely put in the work necessary to make the court. Now, if he changes his mind and is really convinced that Purdue is the place he wants to play, take him. He and Wheeler would be the perfect players to develop with Eastern on the high pick-n-roll that is the newest fad in college offenses. And I am not sure that is going to happen at Purdue since CMP has said in the last week that he will put the ball in Carsen Edward's hands more this coming year.

Carsen can run the high pick and roll very effectively as well. In fact, probably more effectively than anyone else on the team.

Reactions: Roeder

Thought he was like 20yrs.old.

Reactions: ejs1111

Honestly, I was really disappointed with Oregon's campus. One of the things my family likes to do is check out a college campus if we're nearby. Just for reference, I live in the Pacific Northwest, and Stanford is my favorite campus I've ever seen.

The athletic facilities, specifically football, were amazing. It looks like they have a new basketball arena. There was a creek/river but I didn't think it was all that pretty, although I will admit it was prettier than the Wabash (Not that that's difficult). There was a swampy/woods area separating the football stadium from the rest of campus, which I thought was kind of dilapidated. Could obviously tell that all the money went to athletics.

It wasn't horrible, but let's not pretend that UO is in Malibu or Oahu.

The only reason people were ever talking about computer science is because rumors around Okoro were that academics were very important to him and he wanted to go to an elite school.

We rarely talk about academics when it comes to recruits, but when one of them brings it up as being important, then that should give Purdue a leg up. Turns out that Okoro was just all talk in that regard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT