ADVERTISEMENT

Aaron Wheeler

Sounds like he just started getting a lot of attention due to his play in July. Apparently, a lot of coaches travelled to Brewster this fall to evaluate him.
How many offers after seeing him? Offers matter. Seeing/evaluating not so much.

I am sure you guys all remember all the hand wringing and regrets around our "failure" to recruit Big Dog's son, G-Rob III, right? He was a quickly rising player who exploded his senior year. Sounds like Wheeler might be on the cusp of doing something similar. I am glad he committed to Painter and Purdue. Welcome Aaron!
Where did the sound come from?

I don't think Carsen was top 100.

He was outside the top 100 when he signed but by the end of the year he was inside the top 70. I think he ended up as 55 or so by some scouts. Vince has the best chance for an outside the top 100 as a recruit. The wheeler kid sounds like he has a ton of potential and same with Haarms. Two big upside type players. Painter needs to be all in with Eastern. No point in reaching in this class. All in for Eastern and fill all those leaving after next year with the 2018 class and maybe pull in a grad transfer or 2.

Never said that. Taking issue with your insinuation that a prospect ranking going from outside the top 200 to 123 is insignificant.
Not sure where you got that. Certainly not from my posts. Two of you guys act like this morning he was outside the top 200 and tonight he is 123, so suddenly he is a much better player and worthy of a Purdue scholarship. Cprh9u stated as much.

One thing I like about both our commits is both have NBA height and length for their positions. They have to add strength, skill, etc, but you can picture both of them in the league, if they do so. If we are going to take a risk, these are types of athletes to do so with.
I'm not sure I would label them risks. I think most teams could use players like these. The difference they may be a part of a team for some places and a main part of the team for Purdue. Maybe not the obvious players as some, but not sure they are a risk.

How many offers after seeing him? Offers matter. Seeing/evaluating not so much.
Sure. I was just trying to describe the context surrounding Wheeler's recent jump in the rankings.

But since you ask, offers reportedly included Pittsburgh and Providence. According to his coach, Michigan, Northwestern, Arkansas, and Creighton were trying to get official visits, which probably means they were planning to offer, since many coaches try to get a recruit on campus before offering. I know that Beilein almost always waits until a prospect is on campus before offering.

Reactions: tjreese
He was outside the top 100 when he signed but by the end of the year he was inside the top 70. I think he ended up as 55 or so by some scouts. Vince has the best chance for an outside the top 100 as a recruit. The wheeler kid sounds like he has a ton of potential and same with Haarms. Two big upside type players. Painter needs to be all in with Eastern. No point in reaching in this class. All in for Eastern and fill all those leaving after next year with the 2018 class and maybe pull in a grad transfer or 2.

VE's drop was further in Rivals ranking than some others. I think some of that was due to his ankle injury.....he's outperforming his ranking IMO. Glad that CMP was able to bring him on board.

Gotta give credit to CMP for recognizing CE when he was still "under-the-radar" and convincing him to join the team.

Eastern would be a very good get.....not sure how to read the tea leaves.....haven't heard much recently. Recruiting is the never-ending battle these days.

Reactions: nagemj02
VE's drop was further in Rivals ranking than some others. I think some of that was due to his ankle injury.....he's outperforming his ranking IMO. Glad that CMP was able to bring him on board.

Gotta give credit to CMP for recognizing CE when he was still "under-the-radar" and convincing him to join the team.

Eastern would be a very good get.....not sure how to read the tea leaves.....haven't heard much recently. Recruiting is the never-ending battle these days.
I remember seeing VE's freshman high school video as a junior and thinking this would be a great pick-up due to his versatility

I remember seeing VE's freshman high school video as a junior and thinking this would be a great pick-up due to his versatility

yes, TJ....

and passing ability while recognizing he can also take the "big" shot. VE at times may have appeared deferential or too unselfish.....some might say too passive. The cliche is "letting the game come to you." A few times, some of us saw him being more assertive.....recognizing the opportunities.....and taking over for a stretch.....hope that continues. He can be a very dynamic player. I think it's a good thing, that there are at least three players that are confident to want that last shot. VE is certainly one of them IMO.

;););););)
Sure. I was just trying to describe the context surrounding Wheeler's recent jump in the rankings.

But since you ask, offers reportedly included Pittsburgh and Providence. According to his coach, Michigan, Northwestern, Arkansas, and Creighton were trying to get official visits, which probably means they were planning to offer, since many coaches try to get a recruit on campus before offering. I know that Beilein almost always waits until a prospect is on campus before offering.
There are never good players at Providence or Creighton, his list sucks;)

Good addition to the team!

People need to stop being so binary. Rankings don't mean everything, but they don't mean nothing either. Also, depends on who is doing the rankings....not all rankings are created equally.

Lets see if he will continue to climb up the rankings the way other Boiler recruits like Carsen and Vince have. But even if he stays where he is, Wheeler's current ranking is already comparable or higher than previous misses

#85 Xavier Tillman
#104 Savion Flagg
#118 Kyle Young
#123 Aaron Wheeler
#186 Battey
#212 Sterling Manning
#231 Matt Haarms
Unranked Chris Sodom

Last edited:
I'm excited about this pick up. As stated earlier, he has the athleticism and skill set we don't normally get here. Haarms as well. These guys seem to be trending up. Good additions. I don't give two flips about what the ranking is at this point. Boiler Up

91st per the latest Rivals 150.
he wasn't top 100 when offered. I remember when he cracked the top 100 and people were excited and I thought??????he is no is no different than he was, but because Purdue offered he moved up or down depending on how you look at the numbers

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Manley was hurt last year and this summer did good things so he will move up as well.

Malik Ondigo is the same.....had a great summer and moving up and not committed anywhere yet.

I think we still have chances at Eastern, Ondigo, Haase and Epperson.

I am sure the staff will uncover another gem somewhere too......

Blue Collar, bring the lunch pail and be part of the family at Purdue.....love it.

Boiler Up!

he wasn't top 100 when offered. I remember when he cracked the top 100 and people were excited and I thought??????he is no is no different than he was, but because Purdue offered he moved up or down depending on how you look at the numbers

Yep, Carsen made people take notice......and got himself ranked higher by the end of the year. Tough to rise in the rankings that late IMO, people seem to have their mind made up already. This kid worked for that ranking, and I respect the hell out of him for it. He wasn't going to be denied.

Not sure where you got that. Certainly not from my posts. Two of you guys act like this morning he was outside the top 200 and tonight he is 123, so suddenly he is a much better player and worthy of a Purdue scholarship. Cprh9u stated as much.

Are you really that dense? No need to answer. None of us have seen him play outside of youtube clips. Heck, a poster already got him mixed up with someone else and people were starting to talk about the highlights of some other guy who is NOT Aaron Wheeler, Purdue commit, and how he was going to be good. I rely on the professionals who rank these guys to get an idea of how good a player can be. They hit it 90+% of the time and quite frankly, it's all I have to go off of. Did he change overnight by going from 237 to 123 (100+ spots?). No, not overnight, but over time the pros who analyze this are seeing it and have boosted him. I am glad he jumped and others who are pretty good at what they do now see potential... what's wrong with that?

All of this said, Painter still needs to get some top tier program to get this program to where they need to be. He was heavily invested in 2017 and only has mediocre results to date. So I am not saying Painter has put it all together and Wheeler is going to change our program. Far from it. I am just glad to see a guy who was ranked in no mans land of Tacos and Bade and Lawson moved up to VE and Mathias type rankings where it seems he has a much better chance to contribute and grow. Again, why are you crying about this? What's not logical about being excited that a guy we landed is moving up and showing potential? Are you even a Purdue fan, or just trying to pick a fight?

only has mediocre results to date.
This comment right here shows why not one person on here should listen to what you have to say. I know you said you put me on ignore but I guarantee you will read this post. You just can't help yourself. It's okay, we know you're a clueless negatwitt and it's not even debatable.

This comment right here shows why not one person on here should listen to what you have to say. I know you said you put me on ignore but I guarantee you will read this post. You just can't help yourself. It's okay, we know you're a clueless negatwitt and it's not even debatable.
Totally agree with you Kess. So far CMP's results have been shite. Not sure where cpr gets this stuff.

Are you really that dense? No need to answer. None of us have seen him play outside of youtube clips. Heck, a poster already got him mixed up with someone else and people were starting to talk about the highlights of some other guy who is NOT Aaron Wheeler, Purdue commit, and how he was going to be good. I rely on the professionals who rank these guys to get an idea of how good a player can be. They hit it 90+% of the time and quite frankly, it's all I have to go off of. Did he change overnight by going from 237 to 123 (100+ spots?). No, not overnight, but over time the pros who analyze this are seeing it and have boosted him. I am glad he jumped and others who are pretty good at what they do now see potential... what's wrong with that?

All of this said, Painter still needs to get some top tier program to get this program to where they need to be. He was heavily invested in 2017 and only has mediocre results to date. So I am not saying Painter has put it all together and Wheeler is going to change our program. Far from it. I am just glad to see a guy who was ranked in no mans land of Tacos and Bade and Lawson moved up to VE and Mathias type rankings where it seems he has a much better chance to contribute and grow. Again, why are you crying about this? What's not logical about being excited that a guy we landed is moving up and showing potential? Are you even a Purdue fan, or just trying to pick a fight?

It was I that posted the video on Aaron Wheeler, but it was Aaron Wheeler from CSU. I did that in my haste as many were searching for clips. When a guy moves up quickly it is because "coaches" have taken an interest. Many of the star numbers have never been seen by those ranking them and the rankings sometimes are "circular referencing" rather than independant thought. I do think it is obvious that top players are the top players and it is also obvious that "at a particular time" a top 50 player is better than a 200 player. I have no idea how to rank a player at 75 versus 143 for example as the chemistry of the teams that need them might make them play above their ranking..and rankings are individual offensive skills and athleticism usually. The experts are the coaches, not those that are doing the ranking, but those that see a lot of players are obviously better than us casual fans that do not see that many.

If you have scouted, then you are fully aware that seeing a person in one setting may not be indicative of that person or team. None of this is to suggest that star power is not indicative of player abilities at this time...within reason. I would love a couple of 5's on every team and would love to rarely get less than a 4as I do think the numbers are directional if inaccruate due to magnitude in some cases.

I don't think they were at the time they committed.

I'm just saying let's be consistent here. If a 3-star player can be a "diamond in the rough" then I think Painter qualifies with a few more. If OG qualifies then why doesn't Vince?

OG was actually ranked high 200s

Isn't that out of 3 star territory? Generally 3 star starts somewhere just outside the top 100 if I'm not mistaken. Are there 200 3 star players? There might be. I've never honestly looked at it before. My guess is they don't spend much time differentiating them.

Isn't that out of 3 star territory? Generally 3 star starts somewhere just outside the top 100 if I'm not mistaken. Are there 200 3 star players? There might be. I've never honestly looked at it before. My guess is they don't spend much time differentiating them.
The 280 ranking I was going by was according to 247. They have him as a 3*. At 280 though I would definitely consider that diamond in the rough. VO was at 133 though, so not that big of a find.

Reactions: TC4THREE

I agree with some of your points, but your emotions lead you to ranting unnecessarily.

As posted in another thread, I was around in 1837. I witnessed the founding of Purdue University. Most importantly, I saw Purdue's first basketball recruiting class, and all classes since then. So you young whippersnappers who get all uppity and want to act superior because you think you know how good a recruit is based on the number next to his name on a website... HA! Come back when you can tell me about the team led by Street and Smith. Then we'll talk. ;)

I agree with some of your points, but your emotions lead you to ranting unnecessarily.

As posted in another thread, I was around in 1837. I witnessed the founding of Purdue University. Most importantly, I saw Purdue's first basketball recruiting class, and all classes since then. So you young whippersnappers who get all uppity and want to act superior because you think you know how good a recruit is based on the number next to his name on a website... HA! Come back when you can tell me about the team led by Street and Smith. Then we'll talk. ;)
My wording must've came off the wrong way, just referencing the fact that history can be acnowledged in the same perspective by any age, (whether 18 or 179) but 1837 had to have been a depressing year for Purdue basketball...

Oh yeah, John Purdue didn't have a university founded in his name... let alone a basketball program yet:rolleyes:

My wording must've came off the wrong way, just referencing the fact that history can be acnowledged in the same perspective by any age, (whether 18 or 179) but 1837 had to have been a depressing year for Purdue basketball...

Oh yeah, John Purdue didn't have a university founded in his name... let alone a basketball program yet:rolleyes:
Ah, but being there and reading about it are vastly different ways to experience history.

Someday I'll tell you things I saw when Indiana achieved statehood that you'll never read on the internet. :D

Ah, but being there and reading about it are vastly different ways to experience history.

Someday I'll tell you things I saw when Indiana achieved statehood that you'll never read on the internet. :D
Relative to history. History is written by the winners...and in many cases today rewritten for Cultural Marxism.

Relative to history. History is written by the winners...and in many cases today rewritten for Cultural Marxism.

On the other hand, often the "winners" write selective, biased, inaccurate histories that deserve to be rewritten... Example: celebrating Columbus Day when the guy obviously didn't discover anything and by many accounts was an utter sadist.

Reactions: proudopete
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT