ADVERTISEMENT

Aaron Wheeler

Is he good ?
Given he's from Conecticut, this is one time I put a little more stock in ESPN's scouting:

Strengths;
Wheeler is a highly talented player with great size and even better length and athleticism on the wing. He's very fluid and smooth covering the court and shows you flashes of huge upside knocking down threes, making an occasional play with the ball or above the rim. He's a consistent threat from behind the arc and has the touch to develop into a good shooter at the next level. Has upside as a multi-positional defender and potential weak-side shot-blocker on the other end of the floor.

Weaknesses:
He needs to keep getting physically stronger and learn to be more aggressive. He has a tendency to coast too often and doesn't always want to mix it up physically like he's capable of. He's sometimes able to get into the lane off the dribble but plays too high off the ground to consistently go by set defenders and needs to become a much better finisher against contact. From a skill standpoint, he could eliminate some of the excess motion in his jumper and continue to develop his handle.

Bottom Line:
He's got all the tools to be a highly coveted high-major swingman - length, athleticism, fluidity and budding skill - it's just a matter of developing the strength, physicality and assertiveness while also polishing his skill set.

Looks like Painter is highly interested........maybe this guy becomes our first 2017 recruit?

According to ESPN, his offers so far are from Duquesne and Rhode Island. If we offer, and that seems likely, it will be his best by far.

I did not see the offer from Duquesne. According to 247, he holds offers from Creighton, Providence, Rhode Island, Saint Louis and St. Joseph's.

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
According to ESPN, his offers so far are from Duquesne and Rhode Island. If we offer, and that seems likely, it will be his best by far.
Using the strategy that has worked against him apparently...

Isn't that the story of more than half of Painter's recruits...a hidden gem loaded with upside? Always amazes me that only Painter is capable of finding those guys...that so many other big time college coaches that are tremendous recruiters and have tremendous success with recruiting never find these hidden gems loaded with upside.

It's because they fill their baskets with the large already polished gems that they sometimes effortlessly take from Purdue. All kidding aside, it is all about system. Painter is very system reliant. The really flashy players don't fit when they are selfish. Painter also like players willing to defend and put in lots of work to develop the defense. Painter has recently put a little more emphasis on the offensive end, which is one of the reasons I am really excited for this season. We are going to score in bunches and I can't wait!

Reactions: Zaphod_B
debbie_downer-320x244.gif

Reactions: DrEss
Wheeler is a 6'-8" SF from CT. Painter visited him last Thursday and is headed back today.

Ranked #227 by 24/7, unranked on Rivals.

Seems like a reach to me- he can't play 4 in the B1G at that size, and he's not skilled enough to play the 3. He might get stronger and/or more skilled, but he also might not. Maybe if he was willing to attend a prep school for a year like his brother, to develop more.

Reactions: DG10 and cprh9u
His CURRENT ranking may be low, but coaches are starting to see something in him. He has had visits the past week from Arkansas, Boston College and Virginia. Kansas was looking at him last year and has also garnered interest form ND, Syracuse, Texas, Villanova, and Xavier in the past. I think there is potential there. Lets not judge or trash kids due to a number....

His CURRENT ranking may be low, but coaches are starting to see something in him. He has had visits the past week from Arkansas, Boston College and Virginia. Kansas was looking at him last year and has also garnered interest form ND, Syracuse, Texas, Villanova, and Xavier in the past. I think there is potential there. Lets not judge or trash kids due to a number....

The same people who trashed C. Edwards as a prospect last year will be the first ones anointing him this year i'm sure.

Not a ton of common sense on this board. Even if we go 0fer on our top guys, there are still a ton of talented players out there we can potentially nab.

The same people who trashed C. Edwards as a prospect last year will be the first ones anointing him this year i'm sure.

Not a ton of common sense on this board. Even if we go 0fer on our top guys, there are still a ton of talented players out there we can potentially nab.
Who trashed Carsen Edwards? He was ranked in the top 150 by rivals when he committed, with a more impressive offer list (Baylor, Vandy, K state, Va Tech, etc)

Not trashing Wheeler at all. I just see him as a project at this point, like a J. Taylor, Hart, Hale, Lawson, etc. There's a reason we are just now offering him.

Maybe he's our best option at this point though. I'll still cheer for him if he comes to Purdue.

I could be wrong, but I don't recall a lot of trashing of C. Edwards last year...never mind the circumstances were entirely different.

As for anointing him, it is the result of past failures that anyone that does have some semblance of talent is hailed as a star. Relatively speaking with respect to other Purdue recruits, the guy may be a stud...but, as mentioned before, I am hard pressed to believe that everybody in America other than Painter missed on someone.

Reactions: nagemj02 and cprh9u
I could be wrong, but I don't recall a lot of trashing of C. Edwards last year...never mind the circumstances were entirely different.

As for anointing him, it is the result of past failures that anyone that does have some semblance of talent is hailed as a star. Relatively speaking with respect to other Purdue recruits, the guy may be a stud...but, as mentioned before, I am hard pressed to believe that everybody in America other than Painter missed on someone.

Oh I do. Plenty of criticism on why we were after an unranked 3 star prospect out of Texas of all places.

This wheeler kid is blowing up or in process of. There are plenty of kids like this in the recruiting process that we could still nab. I think its fair to criticize the coach AFTER the class is signed, sealed and delivered. Before it's done though....not so much.

Wow, ax to grind as usual, LOL

Kids are missed all the time all over the country. A lot of young men with a lower rankings will turn out to be very good players. The risk of players not panning out is just higher as the rankings get lower.

Kids are missed all the time all over the country. A lot of young men with a lower rankings will turn out to be very good players. The risk of players not panning out is just higher as the rankings get lower.
I don't thing anybody has ever said any different...the problem is, you can't build a program on leftovers and guys that were missed, or at least not a relevant one...nor can you when missing on all of your targets. Nor can you have success at an elite level with lower ranked guys that turned out to be very good players, and that fact has been proven over and over again at Purdue.

It is one thing to take a chance on a kid when you don't have a pressing need and a lot of playing time to offer, such as with this last class...not so much when you have class imbalance such as the case at Purdue, have pressing needs and need to establish some consistency with respect to recruiting...just to be relevant within your own conference where the other genuine top programs do that regularly already, and that is without any consideration even for being relevant nationally or for their consistency with recruiting.

Oh I do. Plenty of criticism on why we were after an unranked 3 star prospect out of Texas of all places.

This wheeler kid is blowing up or in process of. There are plenty of kids like this in the recruiting process that we could still nab. I think its fair to criticize the coach AFTER the class is signed, sealed and delivered. Before it's done though....not so much.
Perhaps so, but I don't...so may be a case of selective memory for each of us.

If indeed the kid is blowing up as you suggest, then it is not a case of having identified some hidden gem, it is simply joining the fray, and if Purdue is indeed joining the fray, then results in those situations have not been in their favor.

I would generally agree on your last point, except things have gone so poorly thus far, and given the circumstances of/for/with this particular class, it warrants criticism now...and will likely warrant even more after...and may even warrant far more a year or two after.

Reactions: nagemj02
Every response is profanity and name calling. I've never seen a logical response from you. Oh well, it's that last one I will read. Ignore!
Sniff oh no ignore! And don't try and kid us, you'll read this. As far as logical responses, you are the last person on here that should be calling people out for that. You have never once posted anything worthwhile other than unfounded painter-hate and now are just whining because I keep calling you on it.

You're a joke and a pathetic excuse for a Boiler and a human being.

Normally I keep my mouth shut, but an offer from Purdue is amazing achievement for this young man and you refer to him as "trash"? Your actions indicate just how much of prize you are to Purdue and society as a whole...no one would miss you.

Many of our current fans are currently overreacting to who Painter is offering and how we have no current commitments. I made a sarcastic post to jab at people who only want ESPN top 100 recruits. My name is also meant to be sarcastic.

If you want my honest opinion I would rather have him then Jacquil Taylor, appears to have a better touch imo.

And if you don't want me to post that is fine just ignore them.

Reactions: BoiledSteel

Seemed mostly positive to me
a few did question getting a 3 star and waiting for Simpson

https://purdue.forums.rivals.com/threads/carsen-edwards.22653/

https://purdue.forums.rivals.com/threads/carsen-edwards-to-purdue.27699/

https://purdue.forums.rivals.com/threads/welcome-carsen-edwards.48044/

Reactions: nagemj02

A lot of recruits are receiving interest from better programs this time of year because they're missing on their high rated targets. It happens every year. The major players and recruiting services usually have identified MOST of the talent before now. A few cases do exist each year when a player was injured or was held out of AAU for whatever reason.

Per Adam Zagoria, Wheeler has an official to Purdue this weekend. He appears to have a lot of potential.

Can't be. I've read here that the only players that were any good in this class are already committed elsewhere.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT