ADVERTISEMENT

2025 Recruiting

I think at this point you are telling kids that their COVID year can be used else where. It doesn’t do anything to help our program move forward by living in the past.
Just stated the same on another thread. How does a coach and staff prepare for the future with unknowns like an extra year of eligibility. Yea, it may benefit some team, but not Purdue.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
That didn’t account for Harris.

calculating-puzzled.gif

One I found ....anyone can add missing players.
The years are confusing as listed and are actually off by a year too 🤷🏼‍♂️. This is ‘23 (23-24) and Jenkins (22-23) is not here, Edey, Gillis , Morton, Jones won’t be here to play with the ‘24 class that just signed… shift year to the right 1 and it’s correct.

The years are confusing as listed and are actually off by a year too 🤷🏼‍♂️. This is ‘23 (23-24) and Jenkins (22-23) is not here, Edey, Gillis , Morton, Jones won’t be here to play with the ‘24 class that just signed… shift year to the right 1 and it’s correct.

I think it's just using the year the season ends. So this year, the 2023-24 season has Jones.

Reactions: Heads up BOILER
Let the speculation begin! 13 scholarships for 14 players next year and no scholarships available for the 2025 class.

Its easy to see a couple of redshirts next year but who transfers? Looking at the backcourt (1,2 and 3) as it stands for next year.

Smith
Loyer
Heide
Colvin
Catchings
Harris
Waddell
Benter
Cox

Five will play, one could share minutes at the 4. Waddell, Benter and Cox, appear to have an up-hill battle to get on the court in 2024-2025 or 2025-2026, even if Catchings decides college isn't for him or turns pro after his freshmen year.

Now the front court
TKR
Furst
Berg
Burgess
Jacobsen

3 or 4 guys will play depending on the possibility of one of the backcourt guys getting some minutes at the 4. Certainly, minutes for TKR, Furst and probably Berg next year. Burgess or Jacobson will most likely RS. I'm not sure why TKR or Furst would transfer, clear path for both of them starting next year or at the very least 25+ minutes.

Let the speculation begin! 13 scholarships for 14 players next year and no scholarships available for the 2025 class.

Its easy to see a couple of redshirts next year but who transfers? Looking at the backcourt (1,2 and 3) as it stands for next year.

Smith
Loyer
Heide
Colvin
Catchings
Harris
Waddell
Benter
Cox

Five will play, one could share minutes at the 4. Waddell, Benter and Cox, appear to have an up-hill battle to get on the court in 2024-2025 or 2025-2026, even if Catchings decides college isn't for him or turns pro after his freshmen year.

Now the front court
TKR
Furst
Berg
Burgess
Jacobsen

3 or 4 guys will play depending on the possibility of one of the backcourt guys getting some minutes at the 4. Certainly, minutes for TKR, Furst and probably Berg next year. Burgess or Jacobson will most likely RS. I'm not sure why TKR or Furst would transfer, clear path for both of them starting next year or at the very least 25+ minutes.
Jacobsen and cox RS…or maybe Benter. Berg leaves. Don’t we have an open scholarship in 2025 with Furst graduating after the 2024 season? Colvin and Catchings may be gone as well…selfishly, I hope they stay so we can get 2 years of them playing together.

Jacobsen and cox RS…or maybe Benter. Berg leaves. Don’t we have an open scholarship in 2025 with Furst graduating after the 2024 season? Colvin and Catchings may be gone as well…selfishly, I hope they stay so we can get 2 years of them playing together.
It's all speculation, but Painter has mentioned that Berg's playing time was impacted by Edey returning. My takeaway from those statements is that Painter was prepared to play Berg this year.

We need at least a 3rd guy in the 4/5 rotation next year. I don't see why it couldn't be Berg. I'm not saying he'll be nearly as good as Edey but he might be better than a freshmen Jacobsen or Burgess. It could be that Catchings plays some 4 but he's listed as a wing and there is still a risk that he decides not to play college basketball at all.

Does Berg leave? After training under Brantley for a couple years and battling Edey every day on the blocks; doesn’t that hopefully develop your game so that you can hopefully step into the rotation next year? No idea what he shows in practice obviously, maybe he’s not coming along 🤷🏼‍♂️. I have an uneasy feeling about TKR. Lots think no way he leaves but I am not sure about that. He redshirted and then got limited minutes last year. The past off season he was extremely dedicated by all accounts and was going to get his chance and increased minutes this year but throughout preseason and the first 3 games it seems like the plans may not work out for him to get that time. He just hasn’t seemed to gel.
I actually think Waddels path to playing time is closing down and doesn’t improve with the class coming onboard. I thought at first he wouldn’t leave being a legacy and his dad being friends with Paint, but Painter is straight up and honest with his players and I think he believes Waddell deserves to play D1 but isn’t going to get that opportunity at Purdue unless he earns it before the season ends. So I now feel Waddell is 1 that isn’t coming back next season. If he really wanted to stay at Purdue he could I guess give up his scholarship and yet return.

Reactions: SCBoiler1
It's all speculation, but Painter has mentioned that Berg's playing time was impacted by Edey returning. My takeaway from those statements is that Painter was prepared to play Berg this year.

We need at least a 3rd guy in the 4/5 rotation next year. I don't see why it couldn't be Berg. I'm not saying he'll be nearly as good as Edey but he might be better than a freshmen Jacobsen or Burgess. It could be that Catchings plays some 4 but he's listed as a wing and there is still a risk that he decides not to play college basketball at all.
Oh for sure. Was just “speculating” who may leave haha. Him or Waddell are the obvious choices. But who knows who it’ll be

I am pretty confident that Coach Painter has had a specific conversation that gave him the confidence to go to 6. Obviously, we are not privy to that conversation and we likely will not ever know because when these things work themselves out, we never hear about every conversation and every contingency.

Not sure how it will all shake out but that's why Painter gets paid the big bucks. We are 1 over the limit going into next year so someone will have to transfer. If that person is Furst (which I don't think it will be), then we will not have any scholarships for the class of '25. However, if it is Waddell or Berg (again, just speculating), then we would have 1 scholarship available for '25 as Furst will be graduating (that's assuming he doesn't use his COVID season at Purdue). Painter has a year to have those conversation and maybe Furst has already mentioned he is going to play his COVID year and Painter knows he has a scholarship open for '25.

With that said, if we only have 1 scholarship for '25 I think it has to be the 4/5 role. Does Painter put the full court press on Sisley? Tell him we have a great class ahead of him and he shouldn't be scared of competing against Burgess or Jacobsen and that playing time is there. Looking forward to seeing it all play out!

Last edited:
Oh for sure. Was just “speculating” who may leave haha. Him or Waddell are the obvious choices. But who knows who it’ll be
Some on here won't like it but Waddell would be the most obvious choice from a basketball standpoint, but I'm guessing his ties to Purdue basketball may have a strong influence on his decision. He may want to stay even if Painter gave him the talk saying it was unlikely, he'll ever play.

My biggest "fear" is that Painter has had talks with Cummings and Cummings is telling him that if he does play college basketball, he'll play for Purdue but there is still a chance he decides to not play in college at all. A lot of these Overtime Elite guys never play in college.

We have enough talent no matter how it falls out. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Does Berg leave? After training under Brantley for a couple years and battling Edey every day on the blocks; doesn’t that hopefully develop your game so that you can hopefully step into the rotation next year? No idea what he shows in practice obviously, maybe he’s not coming along 🤷🏼‍♂️. I have an uneasy feeling about TKR. Lots think no way he leaves but I am not sure about that. He redshirted and then got limited minutes last year. The past off season he was extremely dedicated by all accounts and was going to get his chance and increased minutes this year but throughout preseason and the first 3 games it seems like the plans may not work out for him to get that time. He just hasn’t seemed to gel.
I actually think Waddels path to playing time is closing down and doesn’t improve with the class coming onboard. I thought at first he wouldn’t leave being a legacy and his dad being friends with Paint, but Painter is straight up and honest with his players and I think he believes Waddell deserves to play D1 but isn’t going to get that opportunity at Purdue unless he earns it before the season ends. So I now feel Waddell is 1 that isn’t coming back next season. If he really wanted to stay at Purdue he could I guess give up his scholarship and yet return.
Was just speculating on who may leave. I’d say Waddell and then Berg in that order. Maybe Berg wants to go back and start playing pro in Sweden ?? (Absolutely ALL speculation and i have no evidence of this and hope he doesn’t cuz I want to see what he can bring to the table for us).
TKR will have the path to a lot of mins next year, but if he doesn’t play much during the course of this season, maybe he does transfer out? I hope not and hope he improves over this current year.

Some on here won't like it but Waddell would be the most obvious choice from a basketball standpoint, but I'm guessing his ties to Purdue basketball may have a strong influence on his decision. He may want to stay even if Painter gave him the talk saying it was unlikely, he'll ever play.

My biggest "fear" is that Painter has had talks with Cummings and Cummings is telling him that if he does play college basketball, he'll play for Purdue but there is still a chance he decides to not play in college at all. A lot of these Overtime Elite guys never play in college.

We have enough talent no matter how it falls out. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out.
Cummings? I think you mean Kanon Catchings.

I assume you mean Catchings…haha. I think he is going to come play for Purdue. He’s not absolutely killing it right now for OTE, don’t get me wrong, he’s still very good. But he’d have to play another year there and who knows if he wants to do that. He came up for visits and helped with the recruiting of Harris and he signed super quick on early signing day. I’d say Colvin and/or him will open up their scholarships as they go to the nba (which I would assume would be good for us since they would have been really good that prior season).

Reactions: SCBoiler1
Not sure how it will all shake out but that's why Painter gets the big bucks. We are 1 of the limit going into next year so someone will have to transfer. If that person is Furst (which I don't think it will be), then we will not have any scholarships for the class of '25. However, if it is Waddell or Berg (again, just speculating), then we would have 1 scholarship available for '25 as Furst will be graduating (that's assuming he doesn't use his COVID season at Purdue). Painter has a year to have those conversation and maybe Furst has already mentioned he is going to play his COVID year and Painter knows he has a scholarship open for '25.

With that said, if we only have 1 scholarship for '25 I think it has to be the 4/5 role. Does Painter put the full court press on Sisley? Tell him we have a great class ahead of him and he shouldn't be scared of competing against Burgess or Jacobsen and that playing time is there. Looking forward to seeing it all play out!

Does Caleb Furst have a "COVID" season? I thought it was only for those players with eligibility during 20/21 season? So, Morton, Gillis, and Edey are the last class with that option for an additional year of eligibility.

I am so confused, but TGIF.

Reactions: Boilers424
Does Caleb Furst have a "COVID" season? I thought it was only for those players with eligibility during 20/21 season? So, Morton, Gillis, and Edey are the last class with that option for an additional year of eligibility.

No I don’t believe he does. I think the current senior class is the last class that has it

Reactions: Boilers424

Ah, good catch! I was thinking he was older, but you are correct. He is a '21 recruit and did not redshirt. So if someone he stays for next year and Waddell or Berg or someone else leaves to make room for Harris, then we would have 1 scholarship available for '25.

I assume you mean Catchings…haha. I think he is going to come play for Purdue. He’s not absolutely killing it right now for OTE, don’t get me wrong, he’s still very good. But he’d have to play another year there and who knows if he wants to do that. He came up for visits and helped with the recruiting of Harris and he signed super quick on early signing day. I’d say Colvin and/or him will open up their scholarships as they go to the nba (which I would assume would be good for us since they would have been really good that prior season).
I looked at the OTE website and it looks like they are in their "preseason" and playing among the Atlanta based OTE teams but it looks like he was the 4th leading scorer between the 3 teams at 14.5 points per game and shooting 43% from three. He's played 8 games and had 43 attempts so its not a small sample. Most of these guys are elite players so it looks like his high ranking may be warranted. Saw in one mock draft him going 31st in 2025.

When it comes to Catchings there are a number of different ways things can play out. I wouldn't put Colvin in the same bucket with Catchings. Colvin has a lot to prove to put himself in a position to get drafted,

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Redshirting does not impact the scholarship situation.

I looked at the OTE website and it looks like they are in their "preseason" and playing among the Atlanta based OTE teams but it looks like he was the 4th leading scorer between the 3 teams at 14.5 points per game and shooting 43% from three. He's played 8 games and had 43 attempts so its not a small sample. Most of these guys are elite players so it looks like his high ranking may be warranted. Saw in one mock draft him going 31st in 2025.

When it comes to Catchings there are a number of different ways things can play out. I wouldn't put Colvin in the same bucket with Catchings. Colvin has a lot to prove to put himself in a position to get drafted,
All true. Jaden had a lot to prove from his Frosh year to soph year. Colvins jump shot and 3 making ability compared to Jaden’s at this point in their careers (3 games into their Frosh seasons) is better and athleticism may be on par or a bit more than Jaden’s. I think Jaden was quicker with the ball and better finisher at the rim at this point. However, Myles is one of the younger Frosh in his class and if he makes any sort of jump close to Jaden from this year to next, he is going to be considered in the first round based on pure potential.

All true. Jaden had a lot to prove from his Frosh year to soph year. Colvins jump shot and 3 making ability compared to Jaden’s at this point in their careers (3 games into their Frosh seasons) is better and athleticism may be on par or a bit more than Jaden’s. I think Jaden was quicker with the ball and better finisher at the rim at this point. However, Myles is one of the younger Frosh in his class and if he makes any sort of jump close to Jaden from this year to next, he is going to be considered in the first round based on pure potential.
Agreed on the shooting aspect. Myles is way ahead of Jaden at this stage. Higher release and better follow through. We haven't seen Myles with the ball in his hands much. So far basically a catch and shoot guy. Looking forward to seeing his game grow as the season goes on. Could be a huge weapon come March.

Was just speculating on who may leave. I’d say Waddell and then Berg in that order. Maybe Berg wants to go back and start playing pro in Sweden ?? (Absolutely ALL speculation and i have no evidence of this and hope he doesn’t cuz I want to see what he can bring to the table for us).
TKR will have the path to a lot of mins next year, but if he doesn’t play much during the course of this season, maybe he does transfer out? I hope not and hope he improves over this current year.
I like this post the most, think Waddell goes to a Butler type situation and if TKR doesn't get enough minutes to his liking, he gone, had a RS then not much last year, if it continues this year, that's enough time to figure it out

Furst isn't leaving with his brother on the team.

Only player with Covid year Painter would consider is Edey. Would take lots of NIL money to make that a reality.

Could Waddell give up the scholarship to become a walk-on?

Prep school option is interesting. Wouldn't Jacobson who reclassified make the most sense there.

TKR is one to watch as a potential transfer but if he continues to improve like off season hype suggested he is our starting center next year. If not, then odds go up he enters the portal

Not sure what to think of Berg. He hasn't sucked but he doesn't seem to be a post player even at his height

Could Furst take a Football scholarship as a Tight End? Who was it who played basketball for 4 years then played football and went pro? I remember there, but can't remember who

Only player with Covid year Painter would consider is Edey. Would take lots of NIL money to make that a reality.

Prep school option is interesting. Wouldn't Jacobson who reclassified make the most sense there.

TKR is one to watch as a potential transfer but if he continues to improve like off season hype suggested he is our starting center next year. If not, then odds go up he enters the portal

Not sure what to think of Berg. He hasn't sucked but he doesn't seem to be a post player even at his height

Could Furst take a Football scholarship as a Tight End? Who was it who played basketball for 4 years then played football and went pro? I remember there, but can't remember who
Played line backer and was very good. Cant recall the name.

There have been a few that have gone from
Bball to football..Jimmy Graham and Antonio Gates are the Tight ends…no one from Purdue that I’m aware?

Reactions: Poprudy
Trey is a bit confusing. Early in the season or late summer many players were saying he was the most improved player for Purdue and that they were going to run things for him. Then it was said he would be a 4 and I thought he has either really improved his stroke or they are not going to play him as previous 4s. Hopefully Purdue wins the tourney or at least plays in the final game for the winners. It will be interesting if the competition is improved and to see how that situation is for Trey in particular. That said I don't think Purdue has really played well so far too many misses, turnovers and not enough dribble containment and overall rebounding can get better. When the D gets tough on Purdue...who can score then?

I disagree on the athleticism. Ivey had the quickness that few can match. Out of control sometimes but he is probably the quickest most explosive basketball player we've seen at Purdue in a long time....maybe ever.

Colvin has a great shot and can jump but he really hasn't made use of his athleticism in any meaningful way in the first 3 games. Right now, he's pretty passive and seems to avoid contact. In 39 minutes he has zero rebounds, zero assists, 2 blocks and 1 steal.

Like you said he's young and things can certainly change but it's not like he's a can't miss early entrant.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT