ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Recruiting

I went to familiarize myself with him. Has solid list of offers.... Illinois, Iowa State, LSU, Oklahoma, Florida, Nebraska.... Already visited Illinois, but stated he wants to visit Purdue, Iowa State, and LSU. One to keep an eye on!

Side note...... In early December he had a quadruple-double. 16 pts, 10 reb, 11 ast, 11 stl.

The sighting of a quadruple double is rare indeed.

In the NBA - only four players

Nate Thurmond (22/14/13/12 blocks)

Alvin Robertson (20/11/10/10 steals)

Hakeem Olajuwon (twice) (29/18/10/11 blocks and 18/16/10/11 blocks)

David Robinson (34/10/10/10 blocks)

The sighting of a quadruple double is rare indeed.

In the NBA - only four players

Nate Thurmond (22/14/13/12 blocks)

Alvin Robertson (20/11/10/10 steals)

Hakeem Olajuwon (twice) (29/18/10/11 blocks and 18/16/10/11 blocks)

David Robinson (34/10/10/10 blocks)
Smith was just shy of one I thought recently at Westfield.

Tough to do...at any level, crazy tough at that level though...Alvin Robertson sticks out on that list, but, he was a very solid player who had a long and successful NBA career.

Reactions: Monk1014
Agree, I don't know him. I definitely, think he's passionate about Purdue sports, wants badly a FF or NC(as many of us). Many, I don't agree on. He's not a fan of CMP, seems to trash every loss as "we're done" or "disappointing season".

Sometimes as fans we need to let the season play out...
What you don't understand about Lenny is that Purdue's success is all about him. It would give him a reason to wear his Boiler gear around his associates and beat his chest and tell great stories of his Boiler days. Damn CMP and the players for not giving him what he so richly deserves.

And you still refuse to define what you mean when you use the term "consistent success". How is that measured?

How would you define "consistent success"? What numbers would you use?
Beating a team seeded more that 1 spot higher. A FF appearance after 15 trips to the NCAA.

So if we're a 1 or 2 seed, how do we do that?? LMAO, water seeking it's own level in bonefish's mind...
Out of Painter's 15 tourney trips with PU, how many 1 or 2 seeds has he had?
Unless you're a 1 or 2, you're going to face higher seeds starting with the S16. The fact that out of 5 tries, Painter has only gotten past the S16 means he rarely (almost never) beats a higher seeded team.
The stat that he's averaged 1 tourney win over 10 years is not meaningful because it means he's beating the teams he's favored to beat.
What was the last tourney game Painter won as an underdog? TN, maybe... but that was a 2/3 game.

Beating a team seeded more that 1 spot higher. A FF appearance after 15 trips to the NCAA.
You're making this up after you made a statement and got called on it. I will give you credit, at least you're now trying.

15 is an arbitrary number, but, again, you're trying to support your position.

For your criteria to hold, it begs additional questions:
  • How many coaches have made 15 trips to the NCAA tournament?
  • Of those, how many have made a trip to the FF?
  • Of those with 15 appearances, where does Painter rank in tournament record?
If you're now going to use the "15 trips" as your criteria, you're going to need to find a way to place/rank Painter within that group.

Otherwise, it's still a random, subjective and arbitrary statement, which you're now trying to find a way to prove.

Unless you're a 1 or 2, you're going to face higher seeds starting with the S16. The fact that out of 5 tries, Painter has only gotten past the S16 means he rarely (almost never) beats a higher seeded team.
The stat that he's averaged 1 tourney win over 10 years is not meaningful because it means he's beating the teams he's favored to beat.
What was the last tourney game Painter won as an underdog? TN, maybe... but that was a 2/3 game.
You sound like an idiot.

Where's 15 coming from? Painter's teams have been to 13 NCAA tournaments, and one of those was with MVC Champ, Southern Illinois.....so, it's 12 trips with Purdue...."smiley" years are where Purdue defeated a higher seeded team.

2021 (4-seed, South)

2019 (3-seed, South) :)

2018 (2-seed, East)

2017 (4-seed, Midwest)

2016 (5-seed, Midwest)

2015 (9-seed, Midwest)

2012 (10-seed, Midwest) :)

2011 (3-seed, Southwest)

2010 (4-seed, South)

2009 (5-seed, West) :)

2008 (6-seed, West)

2007 (9-seed, Midwest) :)

Carry on......

You're making this up after you made a statement and got called on it. I will give you credit, at least you're now trying.

If you're now going to use the "15 trips" as your criteria, you're going to need to find a way to place/rank Painter within that group.

Otherwise, it's still a random, subjective and arbitrary statement, which you're now trying to find a way to prove.
How many tourney trips will this 2023 recruiting class make?

15 trips isn't my criteria, that's how many times Painter's been there with Purdue.......

As for your other bullet pointed questions: I don't know. Why don't you look it up if that's the data you're using to support your argument.

Again, for the 251st time, getting to the tournament is an indicator of someone being a successful regular season coach, which Painter undoubtedly is. Making deep tourney runs is an indicator of a good tourney coach, which Painter has not proven to be. Yet. Maybe he wins a NC this year and we can put that argument to rest.

Where's 15 coming from? Painter's teams have been to 13 NCAA tournaments, and one of those was with MVC Champ, Southern Illinois.....so, it's 12 trips with Purdue...."smiley" years are where Purdue defeated a higher seeded team.

2021 (4-seed, South)

2018 (2-seed, East)

2017 (4-seed, Midwest)

2016 (5-seed, Midwest)

2015 (9-seed, Midwest)

2011 (3-seed, Southwest)

2010 (4-seed, South)

2008 (6-seed, West)

Carry on......
I had brought up 15 wins, out of 15 possible tournaments.

2021 (4-seed, South)

2018 (2-seed, East)

2017 (4-seed, Midwest)

2016 (5-seed, Midwest)

2015 (9-seed, Midwest)

2011 (3-seed, Southwest)

2010 (4-seed, South)

2008 (6-seed, West)

Carry on......
Which one of your smiley faces teams represents a team more than 1 seed higher (which is what I've been saying all along. A 1 seed difference is basically a toss up game. A 9 beating an 8 or a 2 beating a 1 aren't shocking upsets.

Which one of your smiley faces teams represents a team more than 1 seed higher (which is what I've been saying all along. A 1 seed difference is basically a toss up game. A 9 beating an 8 or a 2 beating a 1 aren't shocking upsets.

2012, Lenny. You stated "higher seeded team" in one of your posts.....agree, I wouldn't call those shocking upsets.

I know I'm going to regret this...... (a phrase I've uttered/written too many times to track)......and likely tick-off most. To me, CMP is an above-average tourney coach, right now, but there is definitely a lot of room for improvement......so, really, the jury is still out. Let the next few years play out......then come back and see where things are. This season will be difficult because many will judge it solely on if Purdue makes the Final Four, but so be it......

When it's all said and done, he will have had much more success, but I'm generally an optimist.

Lenny makes some points worth considering, but I would also say he could factor in other metrics as well. By the way, I'm not even factoring in Rob Hummel's multiple injuries or Isaac Haas' injury in Round 1 of 2018.

JMHO

Last edited:
2012, Lenny. You stated "higher seeded team" in one of your posts.....agree, I wouldn't call those shocking upsets.

I know I'm going to regret this...... (a phrase I've uttered/written too many times to track)......and likely tick-off most. To me, CMP is an above-average tourney coach, right now, but there is definitely a lot of room for improvement......so, really, the jury is still out. Let the next few years play out......then come back and see where things are. This season will be difficult because many will judge it solely on if Purdue makes the Final Four, but so be it......

When it's all said and done, he will have had much more success, but I'm generally an optimist.

Lenny makes some points worth considering, but I would also say he could factor in other metrics as well. By the way, I'm not even factoring in Rob Hummel's multiple injuries or Isaac Haas' injury in Round 1 of 2018.

JMHO
Your entire post I agree with and is how you do it. I don't think anyone has said CMP doesn't need to improve, just that he is better than some give him credit for. And all of which you pointed out in your post.

Reactions: Schnelk and Poprudy
15 trips isn't my criteria, that's how many times Painter's been there with Purdue.......

As for your other bullet pointed questions: I don't know. Why don't you look it up if that's the data you're using to support your argument.

Again, for the 251st time, getting to the tournament is an indicator of someone being a successful regular season coach, which Painter undoubtedly is. Making deep tourney runs is an indicator of a good tourney coach, which Painter has not proven to be. Yet. Maybe he wins a NC this year and we can put that argument to rest.
Then who in your mind consistently goes deep in the tourney this making them a good tourney coach?

lol

it's not my argument. It's your argument. There's no basis for it, and you can't support it.

Reactions: TC4THREE
How do “shocking upsets” = “consistent success” ???
"shocking upsets"
"consistent success"
"good tournament coach"

iu

When you've been to as many FF as Izzo has, you get some grace on early flame outs.
Do you consider a 9 beating an 8 an upset? How about a 2 beating a 1? Technically, they beat a higher seed, but those games are essentially even toss ups.

When you've been to as many FF as Izzo has, you get some grace on early flame outs.

Do you consider a 9 beating an 8 an upset? How about a 2 beating a 1? Technically, they beat a higher seed, but those games are essentially even toss ups.

Reactions: Purdue85 and BBG

Shocking upsets do follow his Shaka Smart love, at least. The ONLY success he has had was a string of "shocking upsets" in the same tourney. At Texas he didn't win a single NCAAT game while consistently having more talent than 95% of teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT