ADVERTISEMENT

‘20 recruit class final member?

StickPurdue

Junior
Sep 17, 2016
Indianapolis
Would Carlson pretty much make this class bet case scenario? Two guards that can play 1-3 and a 4 that could have an immediate impact in the biggest position of need? I would say go all in on him!

If Morton can be affective without the ball in his hands and get his shooting percentages up he has the chance to be something special.

Ivey is an absolute stud. He can handle the ball, attack, shoot, and defend. Add in his athleticism and it’s difficult to see any weaknesses in his game. I couldn’t be more excited for him to be a Boiler!

Unfortunately I think the boat has sailed on guards so Purdue won’t be adding Davis, Cryer, and Pack who were all 3 guys I was high on. I think that Painter showed with what he got out of Carsen and Cline that he can do well with guards and I love that the first two pickups are really good guards that check a lot of boxes.

Intriguing will be what to do with Dickinson. I don’t think you say no if he comes calling, but Purdue could most use a stretch big that can guard the 4. IMO that is Carlson and he is good enough to have an immediate impact. If Purdue lands him I am not sure I could be any happier with the class. I would also call that a pretty decent job of striking while the iron is hot.

Thoughts? To me this just feels like best case scenario so far. Put the Blitz on Carlson and reel him in. I would love to see a final four and adding Carlson to this class to go with what they already have could get that done. Choo Choo.

Looks like Painter is finally doing what he should have done with the baby boilers. "Strike while the iron is hot". I like that phrase. Has a "Ring" to it. LOL

Strike it baby!!!!!
th

Would Carlson pretty much make this class bet case scenario? Two guards that can play 1-3 and a 4 that could have an immediate impact in the biggest position of need? I would say go all in on him!

If Morton can be affective without the ball in his hands and get his shooting percentages up he has the chance to be something special.

Ivey is an absolute stud. He can handle the ball, attack, shoot, and defend. Add in his athleticism and it’s difficult to see any weaknesses in his game. I couldn’t be more excited for him to be a Boiler!

Unfortunately I think the boat has sailed on guards so Purdue won’t be adding Davis, Cryer, and Pack who were all 3 guys I was high on. I think that Painter showed with what he got out of Carsen and Cline that he can do well with guards and I love that the first two pickups are really good guards that check a lot of boxes.

Intriguing will be what to do with Dickinson. I don’t think you say no if he comes calling, but Purdue could most use a stretch big that can guard the 4. IMO that is Carlson and he is good enough to have an immediate impact. If Purdue lands him I am not sure I could be any happier with the class. I would also call that a pretty decent job of striking while the iron is hot.

Thoughts? To me this just feels like best case scenario so far. Put the Blitz on Carlson and reel him in. I would love to see a final four and adding Carlson to this class to go with what they already have could get that done. Choo Choo.
I agree ... but must overanalyze this to death.

Unless I'm missing something, we'll have two scholies for that class. We'll have IT, Hunter, Morton, Wheeler, Sasha, Newman, Gillis and Ivey who can play 1, 2, or 3 - that's eight for three. Then we'll have Tre, Dow and 2020 #3 (probably). That's 3 for 2 and not sure Tre can truly play 4 at this point.

So,
1. if we take Dickinson, we could well be without a 4, let alone a stretch 4, although Wheeler, Gillis and even Morton could probably spend some time there.
2. Is Carlson good enough to start as a freshman?
3. Can we go without a good 4 for a year to have Dickinson?
4. And then count on Furst to start (we don't even have him yet.) the next year? Is that smart?

I agree ... but must overanalyze this to death.

Unless I'm missing something, we'll have two scholies for that class. We'll have IT, Hunter, Morton, Wheeler, Sasha, Newman, Gillis and Ivey who can play 1, 2, or 3 - that's eight for three. Then we'll have Tre, Dow and 2020 #3 (probably). That's 3 for 2 and not sure Tre can truly play 4 at this point.

So,
1. if we take Dickinson, we could well be without a 4, let alone a stretch 4, although Wheeler, Gillis and even Morton could probably spend some time there.
2. Is Carlson good enough to start as a freshman?
3. Can we go without a good 4 for a year to have Dickinson?
4. And then count on Furst to start (we don't even have him yet.) the next year? Is that smart?
I bet we end up with 4 signees in this class. Either Nojel or Haarms goes pro, or someone transfers.

When has Painter ever done that? I dont see it happeneing unless either of those two tell Painter now that this is their last season.

My guess is that CMP has this recruiting class locked up by the end of the summer. With only 1 scholarship left you take the A list big that wants to play for him. There is also a football recruit that wants to play both sports , that looks pretty good in his basketball video. He wouldn't cost us a scholly.
The pressure is really on the recruit, if he wants to play for Purdue, he had better get on board. That scholly will not be available for long. I prefer Dickinson.

Painter will not over sign. If memory serves me Donnie Hale went to prep school because we didn’t have a scholly. Painter will stay in touch with a couple of our guard targets just in case something comes up but it is not likely that would happen until April of next year and these guys will have already selected a school. Regarding our open scholly when 2 good players commit early a third good player wants to join them to create a really good class.

When’s the last class that painter got all his “plan a” guys?

Has it been more recent than hummel’s class?

Im just happy when painter gets the guys he obviously wants. And that’s been the case do far this year!

When’s the last class that painter got all his “plan a” guys?

Has it been more recent than hummel’s class?

Im just happy when painter gets the guys he obviously wants. And that’s been the case do far this year!
2014 was pretty close, with the exception of PJ who was probably a “Plan C” recruit tho he ended up proving to be a Plan A player.

I am torn between Dickinson and Carlson. You can’t teach 7 feet and a 5 star Big would add the dynamic of not allowing the defense to hedge on the shooters. Pick your poison similar to what we had with Haas but possibly at a faster pace. We would need Tre to get into fantastic shape and shift to power forward. Develop into a Dremond Green body and game with a nice 15 to 20 footer. We would get the rebounding that is needed in that case. Dow and Dickinson would keep each other fresh at the post.

Carlson would be great as well. We just wouldn’t have the 7 foot tradition going. Tre and Dow would interchange then. Carlson would give us another sharp shooter from the outside. He would need to be able to bang inside. Wheeler would still give us a shot blocking presence at least another year.

Powell would give us a shot blocker that would be needed if we can’t get a 7 footer to intimidate inside. He could learn behind Wheeler and not have the pressure right away and develop into a nice 3 to 4 year player.

Entertaining times ahead.

Carlson looks pretty good. I know he isn't ranked as high as Dickinson, but he looks more versatile. Obviously they would play different positions. Carlson may stick around for 3 or 4 years where as I could see Dickinson leaving early if he does well and his height makes him a more likely NBA pick. I do think either player would be a great get however. The 2020 class is looking really good so far!

Carlson looks pretty good. I know he isn't ranked as high as Dickinson, but he looks more versatile. Obviously they would play different positions. Carlson may stick around for 3 or 4 years where as I could see Dickinson leaving early if he does well and his height makes him a more likely NBA pick. I do think either player would be a great get however. The 2020 class is looking really good so far!

Agreed. I watched his video and I am amazed he isn’t being recruited by all of the traditional powerhouses. He can beat you off the dribble and shoot the lights out from deep. He has decent athleticism for his size, a very high basketball IQ, and has very good instincts around the rim.

If you gave me my choice of any player in the class to fill the final position, it’s him. Based on need and ability. His dad played at Iowa State and his dad played with the Nebraska head coach there. Purdue gives him the best chance at a championship and I see Painter using him like Hummel.

I think Purdue can win a championship with him. I can’t stress how much a stretch big would complete what Painter has currently built. As for playing right away, I think he would be the backup to Wheeler and would immediately have an impact without being forced to carry all the weight on his shoulders. Best case for Purdue and for Carlson.

Last edited:
Based of this class and need Carlson would be my pick. Furst is heading to a blue blood more than likely the following year. I don’t see Haarms leaving early who has two years left, 3 for Tre, and 4 for Dow. The depth at PF is not just a want; it’s a need. Kid would be perfect, Painter would have a top 10 team with him on board.

Based of this class and need Carlson would be my pick. Furst is heading to a blue blood more than likely the following year. I don’t see Haarms leaving early who has two years left, 3 for Tre, and 4 for Dow. The depth at PF is not just a want; it’s a need. Kid would be perfect, Painter would have a top 10 team with him on board.

Right, it depends if Haarms goes pro for Dickinson. Nebraska worries me for Carlson but if we built the same type of relationship that we did with Morton then we are in good shape. We are in a better place than Nebraska for sure with the ability to make an impact on the national scene.

Didn’t Loveday join Morton in those early days of playing with the team here when they were sophomores? It seems like we backed off there though.

Reactions: Schnelk
Subtle humor at its very best

OT, but FYI…

A few days ago Matt called my nephew about a person he knew was serious in looking for a coaching position and knew my nephew had one. Nephew asked him if he had Gene’s email and Matt sent him his phone number instead. Nephew said he hated to mention the last five seconds as he is usually against fouling, but in this case he would have fouled as well and couldn’t believe how it ended. Told Matt how classy the Purdue players were and how enjoyable they were to watch. Matt then told him,” Yeah, I’m a pretty good coach teaching them how to make 30 footers!” Just what we like about Matt…thought I’d share.

steer him down a different path. a couple of days here, and this is only one forum, and you can see there are a lot of coaches looking for jobs.
Wait a minute. You mean you can get paid to coach?
It must be some kind of profit deal!

Reactions: plcosby
Wait a minute. You mean you can get paid to coach?
It must be some kind of profit deal!
some places you get paid...a little. Other places like here you don't get paid in money, but in satisfaction in being right!

some places you get paid...a little. Other places like here you don't get paid in money, but in satisfaction in being right!
...even if I’m the only one who thinks I’m right!
Thank goodness I have so much respect for my opinions.

Reactions: tjreese
ugh, wasn't the scenario much different due the budget?
I don't think the budget dragged us into the cellar. Other stuff went down that can't be mentioned here. LOL. At any rate, after the baby boilers he should have taken full advantage....and not so much financially with the Mizzu thing....but in the win column. Should never have happened.

Those days are long gone. Why don't you come into the present and future. That was almost ten years ago. Don't be the crazy old stay off my lawn guy. It's good to be a boiler, and it sucks to be a hoosier.

I don't think the budget dragged us into the cellar. Other stuff went down that can't be mentioned here. LOL. At any rate, after the baby boilers he should have taken full advantage....and not so much financially with the Mizzu thing....but in the win column. Should never have happened.
Not sure I understand. Are you saying you know this or speculating this about other stuff being the reason? Are you saying Matt didn't know to take advantage of his team's success or did know and just didn't try to do it? Or are you suggesting that it wasn't Matt, but an assistant coach that didn't take advantage or try to take advantages of the team's success or more all assistant coaches never took advantage...or all coaches?

I know Matt was having some marriage issues, but he seems pretty competitive and LOVES the game...hard to rationalize he never tried to get the best recruits no matter what was going on in his personal life? Purdue lost assistant coaches due to salary...recruiting area was smaller...all before teh budget increase. If you can say...what do you know of what are you speculating about as you see things?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT