ADVERTISEMENT

Zone

You would never put Haas on the baseline in a 1-3-1, because that would require him to defend corner to corner. Instead, I'd had him defend the post in the middle of the zone. (I like the 1-3-1, but not with Purdue's personel.)

Just for kicks, if Purdue had to play 1-3-1, what would be the best line-up? Possibly CE out top, DM, CS, VE in the middle, and BS on the back baseline?

Agree Haas would guard middle of the 1-3-1 & defend the "Post Triangle," but can you imagine him having to rotate v. skip passes from low-to-high (or vice versa). Same true w/ Swanigan, but imagine him trying to play the baseline or point. Neither is happening.

Purdue's best zone option is a 2-3 Zone w/ a line-up like this (Thompson/Spike, Mathias, Smotherman, Edwards, Swanigan. This line-up would get torched in the high post & over top (lobs).

You would never put Haas on the baseline in a 1-3-1, because that would require him to defend corner to corner. Instead, I'd had him defend the post in the middle of the zone. (I like the 1-3-1, but not with Purdue's personel.)
back to my man to man thread comment...I was being sarcastic with Haas in anything other than a 2-3 relative to a pure zone. I maintain man or match up as the best areas for Haas. I have seen the 1-3-1 be very effective, but I have never found it difficult to attack with decent guards. If Haas was in the middle he would be too far out is space for my preference. I can see high post feeds and people driving on him...

Just for kicks, if Purdue had to play 1-3-1, what would be the best line-up? Possibly CE out top, DM, CS, VE in the middle, and BS on the back baseline?
Or wait until 2019 and go with Wheeler at the top, CE and RC on the wings, your favorite seven footer in the middle, Ewing on the baseline.:D

Or wait until 2019 and go with Wheeler at the top, CE and RC on the wings, your favorite seven footer in the middle, Ewing on the baseline.:D
Matt has recruited a different player as you note above...without actually saying. :)

The stark contrast in styles will be fun to watch develop.

Just gotta fill a new prescription for my black and gold glasses.

images

I would take my chances with it. You guys are presuming that opponents would be able to move the ball well against the 1-3-1, which wouldn't necessarily be the case. At times they could switch out Haas or Swanigan and put in Thompson or Mathias and move around the Edwards' and Smotherman. In theory, Taylor could be a good part of this as well with his length, but unfortunately he's unavailable.

I would take my chances with it. You guys are presuming that opponents would be able to move the ball well against the 1-3-1, which wouldn't necessarily be the case. At times they could switch out Haas or Swanigan and put in Thompson or Mathias and move around the Edwards' and Smotherman. In theory, Taylor could be a good part of this as well with his length, but unfortunately he's unavailable.
They would use dribble penetration or the bounce pass to a cutter to get the ball to the middle of the zone and as it collapses on the threat hit the slashing wing or the spot up shooter in the corner. We lack the proper combination of length and athleticism at most positions of the 1-3-1 to do it effectively. A couple years from now might be the correct roster for a trapping zone.

Reactions: BoiledSteel
And reason number 1 million and 3 as to why you aren't coaching.

Ball movement would not be an issue at all. I am sure your argument will be they have to throw over Haas....skip pass diagonal past him negates his size. There would be more holes in this zone (line-up) than there is in swiss cheese.

Pretty evident you have never coached or played a 1-3-1.

Ball movement would not be an issue at all. I am sure your argument will be they have to throw over Haas....skip pass diagonal past him negates his size. There would be more holes in this zone (line-up) than there is in swiss cheese.

Pretty evident you have never coached or played a 1-3-1.

I stated that players could be subbed in/out if it hypothetically wasn't effective (for say 3 or 4 possessions). Who would put in as your first 5 in a 1-3-1, since you seem to be pretty sure of yourself on this topic?

I stated that players could be subbed in/out if it hypothetically wasn't effective (for say 3 or 4 possessions). Who would put in as your first 5 in a 1-3-1, since you seem to be pretty sure of yourself on this topic?
Honestly, Nage, you seem awfully sure of yourself on a regular basis, stating very questionable opinions as fact.

Your question wasn't directed at me, but when I think about it, it is hard to come up with a lot of Purdue players who would fit well in a 1-3-1. Vince and Smotherman would fit, but Smotherman is also strong in man. Beyond that, you probably go with your best players, like Mathias and Swanigan, but not Haas. Finally, you probably do what Beilien tried to do and hide Spike or PJ on the baseline (although Carsen's speed would be tempting there, if we are just talking ability).

So, I'd go Smotherman up top, Mathias strong side, Vince weak side, Swanigan in the middle, and I'll say Spike in the baseline.

Reactions: nagemj02 and BBG
Honestly, Nage, you seem awfully sure of yourself on a regular basis, stating very questionable opinions as fact.
That is how he operates. Then when you don't agree with him he just puts you on ignore so he can operate in his little bubble.

who would my 5 be? That would depend on a lot of variables. Am I playing a 1-3-1 Trap or a 1-3-1 Zone?
Trap (Wing length is not good & Middle is slow)
Point = Vince Edwards
Wings = Mathias & your PG
Middle = Swanigan
Baseline = Smotherman

Deferent philosophy in Zone. Who is going to cover the corners, the wings or the baseline?
Zone
Point = PG
Wings = Vince Edwards & Mathias
Middle = Swanigan
Baseline = Smotherman

Michigan plays a 1-3-1 Zone that does not take many chances, but for the most part they have better length & athleticism. Their PG + wings are longer &/or more athletic. It is also their staple, so they work on it a lot more.

Haas cannot play in any Zone other than a 2-3 & he has to be at the front of the rim. You cannot have him & Swanigan in together in a zone.

if forced into this with the current team and all were available...Taylor would be my first choice. However, understand he NOW has to play offense as well

who would my 5 be? That would depend on a lot of variables. Am I playing a 1-3-1 Trap or a 1-3-1 Zone?
Trap (Wing length is not good & Middle is slow)
Point = Vince Edwards
Wings = Mathias & your PG
Middle = Swanigan
Baseline = Smotherman

Deferent philosophy in Zone. Who is going to cover the corners, the wings or the baseline?
Zone
Point = PG
Wings = Vince Edwards & Mathias
Middle = Swanigan
Baseline = Smotherman

Michigan plays a 1-3-1 Zone that does not take many chances, but for the most part they have better length & athleticism. Their PG + wings are longer &/or more athletic. It is also their staple, so they work on it a lot more.

Haas cannot play in any Zone other than a 2-3 & he has to be at the front of the rim. You cannot have him & Swanigan in together in a zone.

Thanks for answering.

Michigan's PG's are Derrick Walton (6'1) and Xavier Simpson (5'11) so they are not longer or much more athletic in that portion of the equation. Their wings are guys like Zak Irvin, Muhammad-Ali Abdur-Rahkman, and Duncan Robinson, which is comparable to Smotherman and V. Edwards. My point is that I don't think Michigan's personnel is significantly better suited for it than Purdue's.

Last edited:

Your question wasn't directed at me, but when I think about it, it is hard to come up with a lot of Purdue players who would fit well in a 1-3-1. Vince and Smotherman would fit, but Smotherman is also strong in man. Beyond that, you probably go with your best players, like Mathias and Swanigan, but not Haas. Finally, you probably do what Beilien tried to do and hide Spike or PJ on the baseline (although Carsen's speed would be tempting there, if we are just talking ability).

So, I'd go Smotherman up top, Mathias strong side, Vince weak side, Swanigan in the middle, and I'll say Spike in the baseline.
Agree with that group. Also agree that it's not a good match. The fact that Nag has the opposite opinion makes me certain we are correct:D

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT