ADVERTISEMENT

Zach's place on the Purdue all-time scoring list

Reactions: Mandeville LA
If we play 3 games in B10 tourney and 6 in NCAAT ....does that leave 21 games left?? If so, scoring title in reach I think?

That would be 21 and very optimistic.....certainly not Boilerepherine-induced. Haha.

I have seen/heard a couple of podcast guys discuss this along similar lines IF Purdue made it to the BTT title game and to the second weekend.....that's at least 18 games. It's a remarkable conversation thinking back to when he started - would anyone have realistically thought this was possible?

As Rob Hummel points out, though - makes you also appreciate Rick Mount's abilities - did that in three years and no three-point line.

Mount MIGHT be out of reach, but Zach should finish no lower than second place when all is said and done.
358 behind Mount. As many as 21 games left that is 16.6 points a game.

Min we have 14 games left with atleast 1 B10 and Tourney game left, or at min 24.8

But if we play 3 big10 and make the elite at with 3, that 18 games and an average of 19.3.

I 100% think the all time record is in reach, in fact I would say he is a bit better than 50% to get the all time record.

Now Rick Mount did it in 3 years as freshman dont play and no 3 point shot which would of increased his total by several 100.....so perspective on how incredible Mount was, but still I think Edey does it.

358 behind Mount. As many as 21 games left that is 16.6 points a game.

Min we have 14 games left with atleast 1 B10 and Tourney game left, or at min 24.8

But if we play 3 big10 and make the elite at with 3, that 18 games and an average of 19.3.

I 100% think the all time record is in reach, in fact I would say he is a bit better than 50% to get the all time record.

Now Rick Mount did it in 3 years as freshman dont play and no 3 point shot which would of increased his total by several 100.....so perspective on how incredible Mount was, but still I think Edey does it.
Zach wasn’t even a starter for the first two years and doesn’t use the 3P line either (haaaa I just wanted to throw it in there)!

What’s crazy is the amount of shots mount made and attempted —

10.8/24.7 - soph season
13.1/25.4 - junior seaaon
14.3/29.1 - senior season

He avg 7/8 the FT line for career and was pretty close to that each year

Zach:

3.2/5.3 - Frosh
5.7/8.8 - soph
8.5/14.1 - junior
7.8/12.8 - senior

Zach has obviously been killing it this year at the the ft line with 7.7/10.3….but he started out at 2.3/3.3, 3.1/4.7 and was at 5.2/7.1 last year.

His improvement from year to year has been astronomical each time and I hope he is able to keep it going! Would be super impressive if he caught mount…even if he can hit a 3 or two before the year is done!! 😂

Not to discount what Zach has done, but hasn't he already played several more games than Mount did in total? Of course for 2 years they were with more limited minutes.

Reactions: Lee3370
Not to discount what Zach has done, but hasn't he already played several more games than Mount did in total? Of course for 2 years they were with more limited minutes.

Yes. Mount played in 72 games total, and Zach Edey has already played in 118 games. Don't know what the total minutes played are.

Rick Mount's career avg was 32.26 pts per game, amazingly.

Top Six on Purdue's game/average scoring is (games, points, average, years played):

1. Rick Mount 72; 2,323; 32.3 pg; 1968-70

2. Dave Schellhase 72; 2,074; 28.8 pg; 1964-66

3. Terry Dischinger 70; 1,979; 28.3 pg; 1960-62

4. Glenn Robinson 62; 1,706; 27.5 pg; 1993-94

5. John Garrett 82; 1,620; 19.8 pg; 1973-75

6. Carl Landry 64; 1,175; 18.4 pg; 2005-07

Zach Edey is currently @ 16.7 pg

Last edited:
That would be 21 and very optimistic.....certainly not Boilerepherine-induced. Haha.

I have seen/heard a couple of podcast guys discuss this along similar lines IF Purdue made it to the BTT title game and to the second weekend.....that's at least 18 games. It's a remarkable conversation thinking back to when he started - would anyone have realistically thought this was possible?

As Rob Hummel points out, though - makes you also appreciate Rick Mount's abilities - did that in three years and no three-point line.
Well it's not like Edey is making 3 pointers either. In only 3 years is crazy though. Edey didn't play a ton his freshman year though.

Zach will have done it without a 3-point line also...just saying...

Yes. I think that's more of what Mount's numbers could have been.....different eras, different rules.....hard to always compare as it's not apples-to-apples. No shot clock either. Maravich's NCAA numbers are crazy, crazy.

Fun topics to discuss on a dreary Monday in January.....and I am a nerd too.....and pretty proud of it! :)

a39028d1-nerds_l.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Professor Emeritus
Perhaps the better metric is points per minute or total minutes played. Not sure they tracked that back then though. Ppm im sure will be in Zach’s favor pretty decisively.

Yes. I think that's more of what Mount's numbers could have been.....different eras, different rules.....hard to always compare as it's not apples-to-apples. No shot clock either. Maravich's NCAA numbers are crazy, crazy.

Fun topics to discuss on a dreary Monday in January.....and I am a nerd too.....and pretty proud of it! :)

a39028d1-nerds_l.jpg
If Mount plays 4 years and with a 3-point line I think he cracks 3,000 easy.

Perhaps the better metric is points per minute or total minutes played. Not sure they tracked that back then though. Ppm im sure will be in Zach’s favor pretty decisively.
I still think it would favor Mount, as he scored way more early on then Zach and he did avg 32.2 as a senior...

If Mount plays 4 years and with a 3-point line I think he cracks 3,000 easy.
One thing for certain, more of is shots would have been from three.
Someone spent the time to figure out how many points Mount actually would have had, based on is shots taken from what would now be a three.
That information is a good start. I wonder what his 3 pt % would have been?

Different athletes now too. Watch some of Mounts games it was just a different game then. Yes, he was one of the best shooters of his time, but he wasn't facing defenses like modern players are. Sample below. It's almost funny to watch, it looks like the guards didn't even have an off hand just pounding the ball with their dominate hand. Impossible to compare that era with today's game.

One thing for certain, more of is shots would have been from three.
Someone spent the time to figure out how many points Mount actually would have had, based on is shots taken from what would now be a three.
That information is a good start. I wonder what his 3 pt % would have been?

I've seen a few times that his 61 against Iowa in 1970 would have been 74.

That 61 is still a Big Ten single game record, by the way. Oh, he had 53 against Iowa in the other game that year.....but Purdue dropped both of those games unfortunately, the record-setter being @ Purdue 108-107, ending the Boilers' 30-game home winning streak. Curses to The Most Hated Rival!

Different athletes now too. Watch some of Mounts games it was just a different game then. Yes, he was one of the best shooters of his time, but he wasn't facing defenses like modern players are. Sample below. It's almost funny to watch, it looks like the guards didn't even have an off hand just pounding the ball with their dominate hand. Impossible to compare that era with today's game.

If you didn't know before-hand, you wouldn't be sure if that was "Minnesota" or "Wisconsin" with the Golden Gophers' upside down "W".....

Reactions: Dryfly88
Each era has its own advantages and challenges and statistical comparisons between eras need to be taken with a grain of salt. Regardless, what Edey is doing for Purdue right now is remarkable. We are witnessing a generational player and I am going to try to totally appreciate the stretch run this year.

I didn’t get to watch Rick Mount, but I watched Glenn Robinson and there has been no player (certainly at Purdue) like him since. I think that Purdue fans will be saying the same thing about Edey 30 years from now.

Yes. Mount played in 72 games total, and Zach Edey has already played in 118 games. Don't know what the total minutes played are.

Top Six on Purdue's game/average scoring is (games, points, average, years played):

Wow, I knew Landry was a JC transfer, didnt realize he was that high up on the scoring avg list.

Also, if a had to guess before this, Big Dog was 2nd to Mount...interesting list for sure.

Landry was a talent. He single kept Purdue in the game against eventual NC Florida and their big three.

Yes - Purdue got within three with a little of two minutes left, but Florida made the FT's and closed it out. Carl Landry (in 39 minutes) led all scorers......had 18/10/4 with three steals and a block; Teague and Kramer chipped in with 14 apiece. Defending champion Gators went 27/31 from the FT line.

Landry was a beast.

Saw it mentioned on Twitter, will try to find it, that Edey could pass Woodson on the B1G all time scoring list when we play IU in February.

Edey sits at #36 and Woodson is #28. He would also pass Troy Lewis and Dave Schellchase to get there.

Saw it mentioned on Twitter, will try to find it, that Edey could pass Woodson on the B1G all time scoring list when we play IU in February.

Edey sits at #36 and Woodson is #28. He would also pass Troy Lewis and Dave Schellchase to get there.
Rick Mount is 6th on the all time list, so Edey has a very good shot to be top 10 on the Big Ten all time list by the end of the year.

He really is an incredible player. Best college player we have had since Glenn Robinson, we shouldnt under appreciate his greatness, its been 30 years.

might want to watch again, I see plenty of left handed dribbling in the minute I watched after reading your post. A nice lefthanded outlet pass as well.
In general, if we do something for 50+ years, we get better at it.

might want to watch again, I see plenty of left handed dribbling in the minute I watched after reading your post. A nice lefthanded outlet pass as well.
In general, if we do something for 50+ years, we get better at it.
I watched the whole thing and you might want to also. If you think that ball handling looks anything like the modern game, I don't know what to tell you. Ball handling is much different now and why that video looks almost comical.

Yes - Purdue got within three with a little of two minutes left, but Florida made the FT's and closed it out. Carl Landry (in 39 minutes) led all scorers......had 18/10/4 with three steals and a block; Teague and Kramer chipped in with 14 apiece. Defending champion Gators went 27/31 from the FT line.

Landry was a beast.

I seem to remember Joakim Noah saying that Purdue may have given them the toughest game they played all season. And if Florida hadn't shot incredibly well from the foul line, we might have beaten them.

Tex’s excellent numbers posted above say a lot about neglected history. As great as Edey has been, his career scoring average right now is still barely half of Mount’s … 16.7 to 32.3.

Zach’s career scoring average still hasn’t made the top 10 in Purdue history -- he’s now one-tenth above No. 12 Walter Jordan and three-tenths below No. 10 Bob Ford. In career rebounding average, Zach is currently tied for No. 9 with the under-heralded John Garrett at 9.0.

Those who cite “different eras” are ignoring the greater realities. All-time greats are exactly that, having eclipsed peers in team results, personal records and accolades, and Purdue has had several.

Glenn Robinson averaged 27.5 points per game for his two-year career … 5 points per game behind Mount’s standard and No. 4 on Purdue’s career list. Great, yet Glenn didn’t have to share the ball with two sure pro stars, nor did he lead Purdue all the way into the NCAA championship game.

The national observers of the time voted John Wooden a consensus All-American for all three years he played at Purdue, including when he led Purdue to the only national championship of the day, leading up to his 10 NCAA titles as a coach. His status is unique and unrivaled.

Mount scored at a rate no other Boilermaker has approached and led his team to the NCAA final. Robinson and Joe Barry Carroll played at levels that made each one of them the NBA’s No. 1 pick, with Carroll leading his team to third place in the NCAA. Terry Dischinger and Dave Schellhase each averaged over 28 points for their careers, topped only by Mount, adding rebounding averages of 13.7 for the former and 10.0 for the latter … back in the old days of three-second calls.

Long story short, too many fans undersell our history, just how great Purdue basketball has been. Posting all-time winning records over every Big Ten program and the most Big Ten championships took many great players over many great years to accomplish. Don’t dismiss what you haven’t seen in person. These guys all bested their peers. Learn about them. They earned it. Just as Zach is now.

See Page 92 ...
https://purduesports.com/documents/2023/10/20/2023-24_Purdue_MBB_Media_Guide.pdf

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT