ADVERTISEMENT

WVB defeats 3-0 Cal 3 sets to 1

DocRon

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Sheridan , Michigan
Two of the four sets were very competitive with scores of 29-27, 25-12, 18-25 and 25-23. The first and last set were very tense but we dominated them in the second and they us in the third. The worst thing about the 3rd set was that Chicoine injured her knee and was limping around but after a few minutes being examined she insisted on staying in and was instrumental in the 4th (Match) set.

Scoring was very evenly distributed with Colvin, Hudson, Wollard and Chicoine having 16, 14, 11 and 10 kills respectively. Purdue continues to hurt itself with service errorss having 10 compared to 5 for Cal. That would be somewhat acceptable if we were getting a lot of ace serves but we had only 1 more than Cal (6 to 5). Blocks were also close with 11 compared to Cal’s 10. We won with a hitting % of 0.235 vs 0.142 for the Golden Bears.

We have been pretty lucky so far but the competition gets harder and we will have to play better to maintain or improve our ranking.. I thought our passing was pretty good but serve/receive must improve.

This week’s games are on ESPN+ with only the public address announcing. I was listening to Purdue’s radio broadcast but that stream stopped working half way thru the game. (happens alot).

Last edited:
Two of the four sets were very competitive with scores of 29-27, 25-12, 18-25 and 25-23. The first and last set were very tense but we dominated them in the second and they us in the third. The worst thing about the 3rd set was that Chicoine injured her knee and was limping around but after a few minutes being examined she insisted on staying in and was instrumental in the 4th (Match) set.

Scoring was very evenly distributed with Colvin, Hudson, Wollard and Chicoine having 16, 14, 11 and 10 kills respectively. Purdue continues to hurt itself with service errorss having 10 compared to 5 for Cal. That would be somewhat acceptable if we were getting a lot of ace serves but we had only 1 more than Cal (6 to 5). Blocks were also close with 11 compared to Cal’s 10. We won with a hitting % of 0.235 vs 0.142 for the Golden Bears.

We have been pretty lucky so far but the competition gets harder and we will have to play better to maintain or improve our ranking.. I thought our passing was pretty good but serve/receive must improve.

This week’s games are on ESPN+ with only the public address announcing. I was listening to Purdue’s radio broadcast but that stream stopped working half way thru the game. (happens alot).

Reactions: DocRon

Reactions: DocRon
Thanks for the update! They looked rough today to me. We just didn’t flow but it has to be hard to play in an empty gym! Fingers crossed Chloe is oky
And boy was it empty. Maybe 100 people in the huge 15,000 seat arena. But it won’t be empty tonight when Purdue faces Utah in their home stadium (9PM on ESPN+). Utah is 4-0 after also defeating Cal last night (Cal played two tough games on the same day???)

Then tomorrow we play Utah State in their home arena. It will be a challenging weekend.

Last edited:
Reactions: Russ Ford
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT