ADVERTISEMENT

Wow, pretty impressive...

DocRon

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Sheridan , Michigan
Purdue WBB steamrolls #21 ranked Miami (Florida) 74 to 63 in the ACC/B1G Challenge. Oden had 27 and McLaughlin 17 with Oden going 6/10 from behind the arc and McLaughlin 5/5. Pretty amazing after getting steam-rolled in the last game. Especially when you consider how many frosh or first year players are on the court.

But of course some people can only dwell on how badly we played against, clearly, one of the two most dominant teams in the nation and the fact we are not winning championships "like the old days." Too bad they can not enjoy this team for the Spoilermakers we are -- scrappily fighting for the NCAA again. And a lot of fun to watch most nights.

Oh, BTW, Iowa got massacred by Notre Dame 105-71 so I guess Iowa's program is hopeless and they should fire Lisa Bluder.

Yes, this was a good win and Purdue should make some noise in the BT tho I think Maryland will dominate. And, as I said before, irfwe keep the players we have and bring in those two crack frosh we could be near the top of BT next year. This team looks very well coached and should compete in most of its games if it is not playing UConn. The S. Carolina game will be another test. This was a good Miami team and Purdue just outfought them in the end. So far fun to watch.

Purdue WBB steamrolls #21 ranked Miami (Florida) 74 to 63 in the ACC/B1G Challenge. Oden had 27 and McLaughlin 17 with Oden going 6/10 from behind the arc and McLaughlin 5/5. Pretty amazing after getting steam-rolled in the last game. Especially when you consider how many frosh or first year players are on the court.

But of course some people can only dwell on how badly we played against, clearly, one of the two most dominant teams in the nation and the fact we are not winning championships "like the old days." Too bad they can not enjoy this team for the Spoilermakers we are -- scrappily fighting for the NCAA again. And a lot of fun to watch most nights.

Oh, BTW, Iowa got massacred by Notre Dame 105-71 so I guess Iowa's program is hopeless and they should fire Lisa Bluder.

Reactions: Gesysp
Yep, the women are doing alright, anyone looking at the UCONN score and making a judgement about these ladies are mean spirated and wrong, all underclassmen lineup with 2 good ones coming in next year and possibly more leads to a promising future. Women's hoops is really unbalanced, ND, UCONN, Miss St, Baylor, SC and a few others can always be penciled in to at least final 8, unlike the mens game not many surprises when it comes to March.

Reactions: DocRon and kmot
Great win.
I sure hope you are not implying that we Purdue fans should "settle" for an upset every blue moon and give up our aspirations of returning to BT dominance and final four appearances???
No, not an “upset every blue moon” any more than upsetting tOSU in football should be what we “settle for.” I am just tired of certain people constantly bemoaning the fact we do not have a National Championship team when that only happened once (and almost two years later but not to be.) Since that 2nd Championship game (2001) a B1G team has only achieved that status ONE more time (MSU as a runner up in 2005.)

The power centers for WBB are no longer in the B1G. I wish that were not true but it is. That still does not mean I cannot enjoy our present team which is very young and shows great promise and sports an impressive incoming roster. They are so much improved from the turn-over prone teams of a few years ago — those drove me crazy.

3 field goals and 10 turnovers in first 15 minutes, against a SC team that doesn’t look very good either. Win or lose, we just aren’t a good program- hope our AD is watching.

3 field goals and 10 turnovers in first 15 minutes, against a SC team that doesn’t look very good either. Win or lose, we just aren’t a good program- hope our AD is watching.

South Carolina was 5-4 yet still ranked 25th.
They looked pretty average. But Purdue “almost” won!

South Carolina is a very good team with a lot of talent and only has lost to three top ten teams. If you demean the effort of this team it is on you. One more McLaughlin ft that rolled off and Purdue wins this. At least you have to give them credit for competing. But they should have won this game. Give it to that SC frosh for making 3 clutch fts. I think this team is going to do okay in BT this year and surprise next year. But it is not a top ten program and few are.

Reactions: kmot
South Carolina is a very good team with a lot of talent and only has lost to three top ten teams. If you demean the effort of this team it is on you. One more McLaughlin ft that rolled off and Purdue wins this. At least you have to give them credit for competing. But they should have won this game. Give it to that SC frosh for making 3 clutch fts. I think this team is going to do okay in BT this year and surprise next year. But it is not a top ten program and few are.
I went to this SC game since I got free tix with my MBB season tix. I couldn't get over the unforced TO's the entire game (over 20 in regulation) and the lack of any structure for the offence. I have seen intramural teams better organized to run plays than this WBB team. Ladies did put out a lot of effort to compete but seem to be playing against a stacked deck of poor coaching.

Yes lots of TOs against a really good SC defense. But SC turned the ball over a lot too.
Problem is that our TO's were mostly unforced and the result of just dribbling around with seemingly no play being run.

I just read the game story. SC was very, very lucky to win that game. First a player who hardly shoots threes had to make a last second one from deep. Then MC had to miss an ft. SC had to get a rebound and get fouled on a questionable call and a frosh hit 3 fts to tie it. All those things hardly ever happen. Wow

SC is a good program, but not certain how good they are right now. I think they are struggling with their identity this season, and are probably overrated at this point. Staley will prob have them in good shape later in the year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT