ADVERTISEMENT

with the loss of Bailey, do you still expect a bowl?

Bailey is a big loss for sure. But Cornell Jones has plenty of talent. Neal will likely be back. The secondary is better with Graham, Major, and Mackey. GK is putting pressure on the QB. We have more depth on the D-line. There is plenty to like about this defense.

And we are significantly more talented on offense, especially with Fuller back.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Bailey is a big loss for sure. But Cornell Jones has plenty of talent. Neal will likely be back. The secondary is better with Graham, Major, and Mackey. GK is putting pressure on the QB. We have more depth on the D-line. There is plenty to like about this defense.

And we are significantly more talented on offense, especially with Fuller back.

Is fuller playing today???

a difference between this year and previous is that our depth at certain positions is a lot better allowing us to be able to step up and replace injured starters. In the past, there was a massive drop-off between the talent level of starters verses that of the second team replacements. Our second team lacks experience, but they have a lot more talent.

When Fuller and Neal return, we will be even stronger. But we are pretty strong now without them.

a difference between this year and previous is that our depth at certain positions is a lot better allowing us to be able to step up and replace injured starters. In the past, there was a massive drop-off between the talent level of starters verses that of the second team replacements. Our second team lacks experience, but they have a lot more talent.

When Fuller and Neal return, we will be even stronger. But we are pretty strong now without them.

So we are going to be awesome, got it. So, Alexander played what? One play against vandy. Jones also played in that game. So, just like vandy, the next time we go to three backers, Jones will be out there. He is NOT Bailey’s replacement in a 3 backer set. Alexander would be. If Alexander is already so good, why so few plays?

Me thinks a lot of people either didn’t follow the team in 05, or they weren’t paying attention. It was a master class in spotting reasons why things might not go so well.

Now, next year, none of that is true. Next year we show out. But this year could be a tad rough

Reactions: BigTimeAt69
So we are going to be awesome, got it. So, Alexander played what? One play against vandy. Jones also played in that game. So, just like vandy, the next time we go to three backers, Jones will be out there. He is NOT Bailey’s replacement in a 3 backer set. Alexander would be. If Alexander is already so good, why so few plays?

Me thinks a lot of people either didn’t follow the team in 05, or they weren’t paying attention. It was a master class in spotting reasons why things might not go so well.

Now, next year, none of that is true. Next year we show out. But this year could be a tad rough
2005 has nothing to do with this season. Different coaches, different players, different attitude.

You know I’m beginning to get annoyed by all you people saying how next year will be our year to be great. A lot of other teams are going to be great too. What are we going to be? 8-4? You fans are starting to sound a lot like Cubs fans always pointing to the next year! What about this year? We have just as much chance to be great this year!

Reactions: NVboiler
I'm a firm believer in Brohm and his coaching. Look what people said each year and look what he's delivered. Why write off this season prematurely. The only thing that you can actually write off is with the loss to Nevada we won't probably be a championship play-off team. Let's let the season play out, no need yet for doom and gloom, and perpetually looking to next year prematurely.

You know I’m beginning to get annoyed by all you people saying how next year will be our year to be great. A lot of other teams are going to be great too. What are we going to be? 8-4? You fans are starting to sound a lot like Cubs fans always pointing to the next year! What about this year? We have just as much chance to be great this year!

Except I’ve been saying 2020 would be our year since January. I didn’t need to see us lose to Nevada to know that.

Last year - 6-6 as predicted
This year - 6-6 was my prediction pre bailey injury

Brohm has shocked the world in the past, so 6-6 wouldn’t shock me now.

Next year yes 8-4. You said it but you seemed surprised. The fact that there are a lot of great teams IS exactly what makes 8-4 a great result. They may do better. They may do things at the end of this year to make me raise my prediction for next year.

Sigh...eyeroll...

i don’t. Like, if these kids come up short, how could you look at a team this young.. without bailey, without Neal (even partially), without fuller.. with so many young players playing, and say they underperformed with a 4-5 win season?

This will Be yet another reason that we bust out in 2020, which was always going to be the year

One player doesn't make or break a football team, particularly on the defensive side.

Here's the thing: Half of it has to do with your schedule, right? The Big Ten isn't exactly looking that strong, and we're already missing out on most of the good teams to begin with.

I don't want to see bad losses. Nevada was a bad loss - they barely beat Weber State yesterday. It'll be interesting to see how TCU does, they've only played 1 other game with a weird week 2 bye. But it was pretty clear that they were not just bigger than us, they were faster.

One player doesn't make or break a football team, particularly on the defensive side.

Here's the thing: Half of it has to do with your schedule, right? The Big Ten isn't exactly looking that strong, and we're already missing out on most of the good teams to begin with.

I don't want to see bad losses. Nevada was a bad loss - they barely beat Weber State yesterday. It'll be interesting to see how TCU does, they've only played 1 other game with a weird week 2 bye. But it was pretty clear that they were not just bigger than us, they were faster.

The OL looked D2 last night and the linebackers didn’t look much better

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
i don’t. Like, if these kids come up short, how could you look at a team this young.. without bailey, without Neal (even partially), without fuller.. with so many young players playing, and say they underperformed with a 4-5 win season?

This will Be yet another reason that we bust out in 2020, which was always going to be the year

Brohn has put all his eggs into the passing game and neglected the running game is why their will be no bowl game not the loss of Bailey.The OL has no idea how to block for the runners.How do you expect the run game to develope?

I agree on the OL. TCU came thru with token resistance. The early drops hurt, then things got worse. It was like, some players didn't want to be on field.

Brohm and company disagree. Coach himself said “Next man up” in an interview earlier this week. He says Cornel Jones is ready to step up.

@Purdue85

SD also mistakenly believes that jones was baileys replacement. Jones, holt and Bailey played together in 3 LB sets. ALEXANDER is baileys replacement.

And yet SD was very dismissive of the idea that baileys injury (Markus f-ing Bailey.. one of the best players I’ve ever seen play for Purdue) could bring a bowl into question

Bailey's loss is a factor. But the loss to Nevada was a bigger factor in whether Purdue makes a bowl game this year. That was a needed and expected win. To make a bowl game this year, Purdue will have to now pull an upset over somebody. it's possible to bring home wins against Nebraska, Iowa, and Northwestern. But it would have been easier to make a bowl with that win over Nevada.

We still have games against IU and Illinois . The rest will all present a challenge and could go either way. until we improve our o-line, it doesn't matter how good or bad our defense is.

At the beginning of the year, I was counting victories against vandy, Nevada, IU, Illinois, minny and NW. now we have to throw in a victory over Nebraska , Maryland or Iowa. it's still possible, but will depend almost totally on our offense.

as predictions go, I'm confident IU fans are saying much the same thing saying beating Purdue will be their key to making a bowl game this year.

@Purdue85

SD also mistakenly believes that jones was baileys replacement. Jones, holt and Bailey played together in 3 LB sets. ALEXANDER is baileys replacement.

And yet SD was very dismissive of the idea that baileys injury (Markus f-ing Bailey.. one of the best players I’ve ever seen play for Purdue) could bring a bowl into question
dude, don't tag me in your internet squabbles. I get into enough of those on my own.

:D

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT