ADVERTISEMENT

Wille Berg injury update.

oldboiler52

True Freshman
Jan 5, 2012
So, I spent a few minutes with Wille today before practice. He said yesterday was his first day to practice since his injury. The coaches said he would play on the overseas trip but only limited minutes. They told him there was no reason to push it in games that don't matter. He is also looking forward to seeing his family in Europe. Kid absolutely loves every part of life at Purdue. Some insider info he stated that TKR is the best shooter on the team and the coaches have put in some plays to get him open looks. TKR could play the 3,4, and 5. Lance Jones is an insane defender " He is Crazy Good". Myles Colvin can really shoot it and he can JUMP! I put a few pictures of him on twitter but not sure how to put them on here if someone knows how please put them on here. So humble and grateful I quickly lost interest in Purdue and just wanted to hear about him, and his dad who is some kind of investigator for the Stockholm police department. The language got in the way of his description if I were to guess I would say a criminal profiler. I think his dad told me he was a profiler but not sure. He said his dad told him not to go on social media. Because people can interpret his comments in the wrong way. Purdue gave him a twitter account, but his dad runs it. I told you he was humble he would rather abstain than possibly offend anyone due to the language barrier. Although he speaks English quite well. GREAT GUY!

So, I spent a few minutes with Wille today before practice. He said yesterday was his first day to practice since his injury. The coaches said he would play on the overseas trip but only limited minutes. They told him there was no reason to push it in games that don't matter. He is also looking forward to seeing his family in Europe. Kid absolutely loves every part of life at Purdue. Some insider info he stated that TKR is the best shooter on the team and the coaches have put in some plays to get him open looks. TKR could play the 3,4, and 5. Lance Jones is an insane defender " He is Crazy Good". Myles Colvin can really shoot it and he can JUMP! I put a few pictures of him on twitter but not sure how to put them on here if someone knows how please put them on here. So humble and grateful I quickly lost interest in Purdue and just wanted to hear about him, and his dad who is some kind of investigator for the Stockholm police department. The language got in the way of his description if I were to guess I would say a criminal profiler. I think his dad told me he was a profiler but not sure. He said his dad told him not to go on social media. Because people can interpret his comments in the wrong way. Purdue gave him a twitter account, but his dad runs it. I told you he was humble he would rather abstain than possibly offend anyone due to the language barrier. Although he speaks English quite well. GREAT GUY!
Words about Trey are exciting. Good for him. In the really short video of practice the other day Braden came off a screen and penetrated to the left elbow and lance was down low on D starting to close the lane on him . Been a while since I’ve seen anyone get that low on D at Purdue . Sounds
Like there are some really good pieces for Purdue, but the word on Trey was the best news and a bit surprising . Trey must have busted his butt this summer.

Thanks for the update. Very interesting, especially on TKR.

Colvin sounds like we heard about him for the last few months. We will have more athleticism on this year's team it seems.

I would be curious if Furst will be taking a step forward this year too.

Guessing TKR is the opening night starter at the 4, would like him to be a 20-25 minutes a game performer. Furst will back up the 4 and 5 and get his 20 or so as well, those two are very important this year.

Guessing TKR is the opening night starter at the 4, would like him to be a 20-25 minutes a game performer. Furst will back up the 4 and 5 and get his 20 or so as well, those two are very important this year.
Interesting. So you think Gillis will be getting between 5-10 minutes?

Reactions: Schmedly_Whiplash

While the minutes of Gillis are not crucial to team outcome. I find that doubtful....as it will likely be 10-17.

Coach has shown time & again, unless you are an alpha, he sometimes gets hung up on minimizing negatives, not maxing out offensive positives in the role guys.

So if Gillis & Morton for that matter, are the most careful with ball, and makes less defensive mistakes, they get decent minutes, regardless of scoring & rebounding perhaps going down, more than not, at their position while they are in there.

Just for clarity sake, are you referring to the hand injury he suffered last October, or the foot injury later in the season? Or both?

Met Willie after practice today. He was super nice to my grandson and granddaughter. Grandson (10) asked several questions. He's glad to be practicing. No pain but sore all over. Excited about trip to Europe as he will see family. Will play some in Europe but easing back in. Told him we loved Stockholm and he asked several questions. Gotta hope he can contribute.

If all is true about TKR I could see him starting at the 4 to add size/skill to the lineup. He has all the tools to be great but he has to prove he can defend the 4. Painter always says he needs to find ways to get TKR on the floor more so we shall see this year. I believe Gillis still sees 15-20min a night even if he isn’t starting based off his toughness and shooting. Play the hot hand and roll with it! It’ll be interesting to see how Painter splits the minutes up on this Europe trip without Edey, which I think will be good for the team.

Last edited:
While the minutes of Gillis are not crucial to team outcome. I find that doubtful....as it will likely be 10-17.

Coach has shown time & again, unless you are an alpha, he sometimes gets hung up on minimizing negatives, not maxing out offensive positives in the role guys.

So if Gillis & Morton for that matter, are the most careful with ball, and makes less defensive mistakes, they get decent minutes, regardless of scoring & rebounding perhaps going down, more than not, at their position while they are in there.
I agree with you here. I'm not saying I prefer Gillis over TKR or Furst, but we sometimes get ahead of our skies based on "insider" information from practice.

There are 80 minutes available at the 4/5. Edey will get at least 30 minutes. He averaged 31.7 last year. If Edey plays 31 minutes, TKR 20 to 25 and Furst 20 as noted by a poster above, that only leave 5 to 9 minutes for Gillis. I just think that's an unlikely scenario given that Gillis is a career 38% 3 point shooter.

Met Willie after practice today. He was super nice to my grandson and granddaughter. Grandson (10) asked several questions. He's glad to be practicing. No pain but sore all over. Excited about trip to Europe as he will see family. Will play some in Europe but easing back in. Told him we loved Stockholm and he asked several questions. Gotta hope he can contribute.
Nice update. I hope he contributes in time. I think his contribution this year will be on the practice court, just no way for him to get meaningful minutes this season. The coaching staff knew he was a project, I hope he can stay healthy.

Reactions: SCBoiler1
I agree with you here. I'm not saying I prefer Gillis over TKR or Furst, but we sometimes get ahead of our skies based on "insider" information from practice.

There are 80 minutes available at the 4/5. Edey will get at least 30 minutes. He averaged 31.7 last year. If Edey plays 31 minutes, TKR 20 to 25 and Furst 20 as noted by a poster above, that only leave 5 to 9 minutes for Gillis. I just think that's an unlikely scenario given that Gillis is a career 38% 3 point shooter.
I agree. Wild guess below, +/- 3 minutes on each pairing below. I suspect that we don't see Mason and Caleb together as Mason's spot up shooting best matches with the attention Zach draws. If Mason, Trey and Caleb all stay healthy I'd expect that they'll split the 50 minutes (40 at the 4, 10 at the backup 5) fairly evenly unless one of them pulls away from the pack and is playing at an all conference level.

Trey + Zach - 10 minutes
Trey + Caleb - 10 minutes
Mason + Zach - 15 minutes
Caleb + Zach - 5 minutes

Last edited:
Gillis may be a career 3 point shooter. But we have other payers who are just as good and probably should be shooting more threes! I have to believe Loyer will be better this year. And maybe Miles will take a few 3 pointers! One must ask what does Gillis really bring other than his outside shot? I’d rather have a Furst or TKR at the 4.

How many times have we seen Gillis out hustle everyone else to get a loose ball, a defensive rebound and get a key offensive rebound. He may get less minutes this year, but he did more than shoot outside shots in the past. He is that unsung hero that gets the crowd excited and pushes his teammates to hustle all the time.
Didn’t happen nearly as much last year with the back injury. Clearly not his fault, the kid is a warrior, but he needs to be healthy and shooting well.

Reactions: Schnelk
Gillis may be a career 3 point shooter. But we have other payers who are just as good and probably should be shooting more threes! I have to believe Loyer will be better this year. And maybe Miles will take a few 3 pointers! One must ask what does Gillis really bring other than his outside shot? I’d rather have a Furst or TKR at the 4.
Don't underestimate the importance of the three when it comes to this team. Until I see different, I'm still going to assume Gillis is the best shooter of the three. I think TKR could be ALL B1G after Edey leaves but I didn't see a lot last year that would make me believe he would be a good pairing with Edey.

Don't underestimate the importance of the three when it comes to this team. Until I see different, I'm still going to assume Gillis is the best shooter of the three. I think TKR could be ALL B1G after Edey leaves but I didn't see a lot last year that would make me believe he would be a good pairing with Edey.
I suspect that’s why they’re putting a lot of work into playing Trey with Zach. Matt believes he needs to get Trey more than 10 minutes per game and wants him to play the 4. That doesn’t happen unless he and Zach can play alongside each other..

Wouldn’t surprise me if Trey played 20 minutes per game, 10 of it with Zach and 10 with Caleb.

Reactions: Heads up BOILER
I think Gillis will play some at the 3, I would guess between 16-18 minutes a game. Going to be interesting to see how minutes are divided, Gillis definitely gets more than 10 a game, minimum 15 or so.

Reactions: Boilers1975
Correct. If there was a chance of him playing the 3, definitely would have happened last year.
TKR moving to the 4 changes things a bit, not saying he’s going to get a ton of minutes there, however, he’s an athlete, guessing he plays there a few minutes a night. Look, I don’t know for sure, however, I was also told by some that there was no way TKR would play the 4 spot, that’s looking like it’s going to happen.

I heard from many that TKR wasn’t playing any 4 as well, at 6-5 Gilllis can play a few minutes a night at the 3, especially against lesser opponents.
Did you hear that TKR wasn't playing the 4 from Painter? He's the one that said last year that Gillis isn't playing the 3 and the talent and depth at the 3 is better this year than last.

Reactions: oldboiler52
Did you hear that TKR wasn't playing the 4 from Painter? He's the one that said last year that Gillis isn't playing the 3 and the talent and depth at the 3 is better this year than last.
Look, it’s an opinion, my guess is he plays a few minutes a night at 3, I think he can do it, if at 6-5 he can’t against lesser opponents so be it. I guess we’ll see what happens when the season starts, geez, I said maybe 5 minutes a night at the 3, hardly earth shattering minutes. Purdue has a ton of depth, Painter said he wants to get TKR a lot more minutes, if Gillis doesn’t slide down to the 3 for a few minutes per game his minutes will go down, I see him as a 16-18 a night player, maybe it will be Furst that gets minutes cut.

If all is true about TKR I could see him starting at the 4 to add size/skill to the lineup. He has all the tools to be great but he has to prove he can defend the 4. Painter always says he needs to find ways to get TKR on the floor more so we shall see this year. I believe Gillis still sees 15-20min a night even if he isn’t starting based off his toughness and shooting. Play the hot hand and roll with it! It’ll be interesting to see how Painter splits the minutes up on this Europe trip without Edey, which I think will be good for the team.
Agreed, good post. I think Gillis plays 15 minutes a night, if it means a few minutes at the 3 so be it, at 6-5 he can play there.

Look, it’s an opinion, my guess is he plays a few minutes a night at 3, I think he can do it, if at 6-5 he can’t against lesser opponents so be it. I guess we’ll see what happens when the season starts, geez, I said maybe 5 minutes a night at the 3, hardly earth shattering minutes. Purdue has a ton of depth, Painter said he wants to get TKR a lot more minutes, if Gillis doesn’t slide down to the 3 for a few minutes per game his minutes will go down, I see him as a 16-18 a night player, maybe it will be Furst that gets minutes cut.
His lateral quickness isn’t what it needs to be to stay with the 6-4 wings that play the 3 spot in college basketball.

Lol, sorry, my response came across as harsher than I intended. I understand why you'd say that Gillis should get some minutes at the 3, I'm just saying that based on Painter's past responses and the numbers crunch at the 3 as well it seems very unlikely.

I completely agree with your assessment that minutes at the 4 and 5 are incredibly tight and we have three very experienced players there along with a guy in TKR that MP has said has to get more minutes. I think a lot of those minutes will depend upon whether any of those guys (Mason, Trey, Caleb) can shoot the ball efficiently and consistently. If one of those guys can shoot it at 40%+ consistently (not 9-12 one game, 1-7 another) my guess is they'll see the most minutes alongside Zach.

Reactions: *Shockerrr*
His lateral quickness isn’t what it needs to be to stay with the 6-4 wings that play the 3 spot in college basketball.
Correct, it's a defensive issue, not an offensive issue. Obviously people can and do speculate here but the opinions of a bunch of idiots on a message board (myself included) don't mean anything when Painter says Mason couldn't play the 3 defensively last season.

Lol, sorry, my response came across as harsher than I intended. I understand why you'd say that Gillis should get some minutes at the 3, I'm just saying that based on Painter's past responses and the numbers crunch at the 3 as well it seems very unlikely.

I completely agree with your assessment that minutes at the 4 and 5 are incredibly tight and we have three very experienced players there along with a guy in TKR that MP has said has to get more minutes. I think a lot of those minutes will depend upon whether any of those guys (Mason, Trey, Caleb) can shoot the ball efficiently and consistently. If one of those guys can shoot it at 40%+ consistently (not 9-12 one game, 1-7 another) my guess is they'll see the most minutes alongside Zach.
Thanks, I have no problem with discussion, it did come off as harsh lol, I wasn’t mad but I was like it’s only 5 or so minutes a game, we’ll see, player rotations will be interesting with a deep team.

Agree for the most part, my guess against lesser opponents he’ll play some there so he can get increased minutes, maybe he won’t, should be a fun year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT