ADVERTISEMENT

Will Sharon Versyp ever be on the hotseat

Mar 6, 2014
This program has completely lost the "elite" status that it had during the Lin Dunn era and the Christy Curry era. They won the NC in 1999 for crying out loud. And then our illustrious Athletic Director Morgan Burke thought that Purdue had to hire former Purdue alums as HC's of the 2 basketball programs, and twice hired former alums for the football program. But how is that now working out? This will be another disappointing season for the Purdue Women's BB team. But where is the outrage? Are we now so used to mediocrity in our sports programs that like the Purdue teams, "we've just given up" as fans? We no longer even care anymore that this once proud program has been run into the ground? Is there any accountability anymore?

Will Sharon ever be on the hotseat?

Just asking!

And don't let the hype that Sharon has a great recruiting class coming next year fool you. Half of them won't see the floor, 2 of them will end up transferring, and this program will have another mediocre season next season.

"Boiler Up"!

This post was edited on 1/16 3:15 PM by PurdueTim14

I have been a Coach V fan for years,often defending her on this board, but the ship is starting to leak and if this year continues as it is now and next year is bad, I think the seat will be very hot. Don't want that to happen, but last night was a bit sobering to say the least. I do not remember a home loss to a real bottom feeder at Mackey ever in my memory and I have been watching since mid 90's.

The decline is very apparent, but the AD doesn't care and the Prez does not care that the AD does not care.

It is ridiculous that Purdue has allowed its competitive advantage in women's basketball to deteriorate.

Reactions: DAG10
I am as unhappy as you with all three major programs but our football hires were not alums.The last alums were DeMoss and Agase(V12 WW11).Burtnett, Colletto,Tiller and Hope had all served time here as ass't coaches(Colletto&Tiller were on Burtnett's staff) and Hope on Tillers.
I will say I hope the next AD and all head coaches are the best people we can hire and not a continuation of the good old boy system.But that Hope and a dollar would get you a good cup of java and maybe Nancy Cross.

I think she was some years ago when she was struggling and her contract was running out. She won the BT Tournament unexpectedly and got a contract extension and raise that she is currently working off.

I couldn't agree with you more. No Big Ten Championships under Versyp.

The saddest comment is that I don't care anymore. Apathy is probably worse than anger. Anger shows that you at least care. I could easily be won back with a coach like Fortner, Peck, or Curry.

Yes, six years and two AD’s have chosen to keep her ariund to the tune of $700K when somebody making less Could have righted the ship and restored the once proud wbb program to its rightful place.

Reactions: Gesysp
Tick tock
If nothing fairly soon
Expect her to stay. Feeling more and more
No change. Hope I’m wrong.

Tick tock
If nothing fairly soon
Expect her to stay. Feeling more and more
No change. Hope I’m wrong.
Unless the Coach they have targeted is in the tournament, maybe it's a wait until they're eliminated announce a termination and hiring real quick? That way a new Coach could at least talk to some of the returning players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT