ADVERTISEMENT

Why play the f*cking game???

Bob Sienicki

Redshirt Freshman
Aug 2, 2004
Camp Verde, AZ
If every time Purdue has a chance to take the lead, or win, late in the game - and the refs come up with some bogus BS call to kill the opportunity -

WHY PLAY THE F*CKING GAME???

Sorry, but I am usually the last person to blame games on the refs, but all three of our games have been decided by questionable - at best - calls that ended up essentially giving the game to the other team.

I'm done. I love the players and our coaches, but if Mitch and the board don't do something about this unmitigated biased referee crap, then I've got other things to do with my time.

Ball hitting ground = incomplete pass
Refs got it right

Ball can tough the ground and it didn’t bobble. Call was a catch, shouldn’t have been overturned. The ref analyst confirmed that opinion. Even the announcers disagreed with it being overturned. That right hand had the ball when it goes down under the ball and the ball doesn’t wobble. That’s a catch but it didn’t need to be proved to be a catch, there absolutely was not enough to overturn. Again... ball was in the right hand as it went down, ball can tough the ground so long as it doesn’t move, which it didn’t, because it was in his hand.

He had control of the ball when his knee hit the ground in the end zone. Play over.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Its 2018. Facts dont matter. On another note, the QB situation should be interesting into yet another week. ES gets healthy, Blough starts and stagnates, ES comes in for 2nd half...i can feel that scenario brewing

If every time Purdue has a chance to take the lead, or win, late in the game - and the refs come up with some bogus BS call to kill the opportunity -

Sorry, but I am usually the last person to blame games on the refs, but all three of our games have been decided by questionable - at best - calls that ended up essentially giving the game to the other team.

I'm done. I love the players and our coaches, but if Mitch and the board don't do something about this unmitigated biased referee crap, then I've got other things to do with my time.

I understand we’re all upset, but I would be embarrassed if Mitch escalated this.

I do understand. He was bobbling it and never had control when it hit the ground. Incomplete pass

You obviously did not see the play closely. As I said in another thread, I ran it back in slow motion and zoomed in on the receiver. While the ball appeared to be slightly loose after his knee hit the ground with him in possession, if you look closely, his lower arm remained under the ball until the players rolled over and the ball disappeared from view.

At the very least, there was NO clear evidence with which to reverse the call. NONE.

Of course YOU think it hit the ground, because you wanted to BELIEVE it hit the ground, or else your team would have lost.

Sorry, just the facts, ma'am.

Isn't that the same ref that screwed us last week? Sparks had possession of the ball before hitting the ground. The ball is allowed to make contact with the ground on the way down. The ball appeared to move when he hit the ground but it was impossible to see if he maintained hold of it enough with his right hand - therefore the TD (the call on the field) should have stood and the call should not have been reversed. There was not irrefutable evidence that he did not complete the catch.

You obviously did not see the play closely. As I said in another thread, I ran it back in slow motion and zoomed in on the receiver. While the ball appeared to be slightly loose after his knee hit the ground with him in possession, if you look closely, his lower arm remained under the ball until the players rolled over and the ball disappeared from view.

At the very least, there was NO clear evidence with which to reverse the call. NONE.

Of course YOU think it hit the ground, because you wanted to BELIEVE it hit the ground, or else your team would have lost.

Sorry, just the facts, ma'am.[
Isn't that the same ref that screwed us last week? Sparks had possession of the ball before hitting the ground. The ball is allowed to make contact with the ground on the way down. The ball appeared to move when he hit the ground but it was impossible to see if he maintained hold of it enough with his right hand - therefore the TD (the call on the field) should have stood and the call should not have been reversed.
I don't know, but I thought it would be overuled in part because these things happen to Purdue. The problem is the ball absolutely moved Before it hit the ground and Again when it hit the ground. I think refs felt that showed he never really had control. By rule if he never had control it's incomplete. I think if it was called incomplete on the field,I could have lived with it not being reversed. Hard to know if hand was under ball after it moved second time, so reversing TD was tough call.

Reactions: Roeder
I don't know, but I thought it would be overuled in part because these things happen to Purdue. The problem is the ball absolutely moved Before it hit the ground and Again when it hit the ground. I think refs felt that showed he never really had control. By rule if he never had control it's incomplete. I think if it was called incomplete on the field,I could have lived with it not being reversed. Hard to know if hand was under ball after it moved second time, so reversing TD was tough call.
Imo, it was not a case of never really having control of the ball. Watching on my Mom's 60 inch HD TV from about 4 feet away, I thought without a doubt after the initial midair bobble, Sparks got definite control of the ball well before making contact with the ground. When he hit the ground I thought it moved slightly, but from the available camera angle, no way to determine if it was bobbled or if his right hand ever lost contact with the ball. I still believe the call should not have been overturned.

Just curious; does anyone know if these were the same refs as last week? If so, we definitely need a new crew for next week. Moore's kickoff return that went for about 60 yards before it was called back was also a bogus call. The call on the field was a holding call; but it certainly did not look like a hold on the replay.

Reactions: StickPurdue

No never have the university administrators questioning athletes there job is the academic side of the university (you know the reason the university is here in the first place) if someone needs to question this ( and I Am not sure they do but whatever) it should be someone in the athletic department.

All your points are what I saw too. By rule that would be an incomplete pass. I too thought it would not be overturned though. Good post!

I do understand. He was bobbling it and never had control when it hit the ground. Incomplete pass

Arguably yes, but I think most people see it as unclear.....THAT's what makes it a tough call because the call on the field was TD.....you have to have clear evidence to overturn it, or so we thought. If this had been called incomplete on the field, I don't see anyway you could rule it a TD either. It's still a subjective standard .....I just don't know what is "clearly" anymore....I've seen a bunch more calls "stand as called" that arguably should have been reversed than this one.

It's times like these, though, I wonder if it wouldn't just be better to go back to - "if the ball hits the ground, it's incomplete" - wouldn't have helped the Boilers here, however.

Oh well - on to the next game.....I liked the fight back and competing from the Boilers because this game could have been over a lot sooner a couple of times. Saw some good plays from the defense in the second half - but they were overmatched.

Tough loss, though - especially on a night when DB sets the school single-game passing record.

On the bright side, Jeff Brohm is building and is on the right track - this is part of it.....if he keeps up the recruiting momentum, effort, and eliminates the killer shoot-yourself-in-the foot mistakes - there will be many bright days ahead, IMO.

My understanding is that this is allowed, because all scoring plays are reviewed.

I think this is the case in the NFL (and all turnovers as well), but I didn't think in college games, it was an "automatic" review - meaning stoppage of the game.

Every play that is potentially reviewable (although certain penalties and situations are non-reviewable). They can stop a game whenever the crew head believes:
  • There’s “reasonable evidence to believe an error was made in the initial on-field ruling”
  • The play is reviewable
  • The outcome of a review would “have a direct, competitive impact” on the game
If the officials don't otherwise stop the game, a coach can use a challenge if available.

What can they do about the officials? Did I miss something?

Bogus call for sure. But I have no doubt Mizzou would have scored a touchdown if they had needed one, so we would have still lost. Our D was toast. No pass rush.

Reactions: mathboy
Bogus call for sure. But I have no doubt Mizzou would have scored a touchdown if they had needed one, so we would have still lost. Our D was toast. No pass rush.

Unfortunately I have to concur. My wife and I were at the game (right to the bitter end) and I told her the same. She was curious I was not more upset about the call being overturned and I said (and believe) if we had a 4 pt lead at that point, MO would have just gone ahead and scored the TD. They went for the FG because it was all they needed and it allowed them to run a couple plays and use up all the clock to position the ball before attempting the kick. The way they moved down the field on that last drive did not give me a feeling that we would have had a chance to stop them.

Seriously, if it wasn't for the refs in the first half Mizzou is up at least 17 at the half. BTW- the call at the end of the game was 100% correct. You can't blame the refs for this lost, they helped Purdue keep this game close

Seriously, if it wasn't for the refs in the first half Mizzou is up at least 17 at the half. BTW- the call at the end of the game was 100% correct. You can't blame the refs for this lost, they helped Purdue keep this game close

Better to be thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and prove it

Incorrect you are! AAAHHA!

LOL, pot meet kettle. That was not a catch, you guys look like fools
Once again, you are the fool... I checked with my brother-in-law who is on the rules interpretation board for the SEC refereeing committee. He agreed with the Big Ten head of officiating who said on national TV that it was certainly a catch in the call needed to be kept as a touchdown. He said any one in their right mind could tell that there was not enough video evidence. But of course not everyone is in their right mind, right?

LOL, pot meet kettle. That was not a catch, you guys look like fools
The only people that look like fools are the dooshbags that come to another teams board to argue and flame. I guess it should be expected from misery fans. I guess that Kansas fans I know are right, misery fans are even worse than iu fans.

The only people that look like fools are the dooshbags that come to another teams board to argue and flame. I guess it should be expected from misery fans. I guess that Kansas fans I know are right, misery fans are even worse than iu fans.
Give the guy break there’s nothing else to do in Misery except your sister.

Reactions: 70boiler
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT