ADVERTISEMENT

Why never a hail mary or equivalent?

NVboiler

Sophomore
Jul 6, 2018
At the last play of the game last night, why wasn't there a hail mary? At least it gives you a chance for a win. Or multiple laterals like that one Cal-Stanford game to keep the ball in play. You've lost the game already, what difference does it make if the opponents intercept or score on it. I've not been able to watch that many Purdue games, but I can't ever remember seeing such a possible winning play by Purdue, just basically quitting. If you're going down being tackled, fumble the ball or lateral and keep it in play if time has expired.

Reactions: rgarlitz
At the last play of the game last night, why wasn't there a hail mary? At least it gives you a chance for a win. Or multiple laterals like that one Cal-Stanford game to keep the ball in play. You've lost the game already, what difference does it make if the opponents intercept or score on it. I've not been able to watch that many Purdue games, but I can't ever remember seeing such a possible winning play by Purdue, just basically quitting. If you're going down being tackled, fumble the ball or lateral and keep it in play if time has expired.
I think he was going to try to a hail mary type of pass. He was hit before he could do it. Unlike a Justin Herbert type of QB, with a cannon for an arm, O'Connell doesn't have the arm strength to do this without getting fully set.

What about that second to the last play with 7 seconds on the clock; a 2 yard out. Really!

Reactions: rgarlitz and DAG10
What about that second to the last play with 7 seconds on the clock; a 2 yard out. Really!
There was some really poor management at the end...they had wasted a timeout the prior possession...they did not call a timeout after a completion that took a ton of time off of the clock...I was ok with the idea of not going for broke with 7 seconds left and moving the ball up the field a bit more to have at least a chance for a Hail Mary at the finish, but, to your point...2-yards was worthless...and, Penn St. rushed 3 guys on the last play...Purdue had 5 OL AND a RB in for protection and O'Connell STILL got sacked almost immediately...that was simply ridiculous.

***...they did not call a timeout after a completion that took a ton of time off of the clock...***

I really could not understand that one. Yes, you usually like to save one, but that was roughly 15 seconds worth - perhaps 3 plays. Calling it when they did got them at most one play. Just basics. Would it have changed the outcome? Probably not, but we'll never know......

Jeff Brohm is way better than that, but last night was just awful with basic game management stuff - really disappointing for a solid, experienced coach.

There were some bright spots with the game, but overall a lost opportunity - where have I heard that before?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT