ADVERTISEMENT

Most of the year

tjreese

All-American
Gold Member
Sep 27, 2008
Trey has given Zach a rest. The last few games we are seeing more and more with both on the court. I like being able to play 4 out AND a bit more 3 out with Trey playing high post for a high/low game especially when the 3 ball isn’t dropping . I haven’t seen it mentioned, but it is another tweak to the offense that may pay dividends.

Trey has given Zach a rest. The last few games we are seeing more and more with both on the court. I like being able to play 4 out AND a bit more 3 out with Trey playing high post for a high/low game especially when the 3 ball isn’t dropping . I haven’t seen it mentioned, but it is another tweak to the offense that may pay dividends.
Yeppers noticed and it seemed to work , Zach closer to the rim without all the extra back and forth , is good for him and positioning . Hope they keep developing this.

I thought it was a good wrinkle also, I also wondered if they would do a double low post feed the ball to tkr and have edey on opposite block no way doubling over to let edey have an easy offensive rebound while letting tkr go to work with the ball.

Reactions: seminolesboilers
I thought it was a good wrinkle also, I also wondered if they would do a double low post feed the ball to tkr and have edey on opposite block no way doubling over to let edey have an easy offensive rebound while letting tkr go to work with the ball.
that may be a last possession thing where the other team is very undersized, but that really compresses spacing for both. I think within the normal clock and play you do not have to have 4 out for balance and to provide a viable perimeter threat behind the arc, but you do need 3 out. With the high low using Trey you are getting some more versatility scoring the ball than Caleb with Trey diving and feeding Zach. The pass is much shorter to Zach and in the lane. Since it has limited time on the court, I'm unaware of how effective Trey may be driving the ball or how often he can go to the high post and be effective. I just think it is another look when play is physical inside or you just want to pound the ball inside through passing and/or driving teh ball a couple of dribbles.

It takes the 4 man on the D to not be able to double Zach because Trey is close enough that he must be on Trey at least until the pass. Taking away help to prevent a pass to Zach by the opposition 4 is big. Now to help on a pass to Zach the Purdue perimeter guy (shooter???) on baseline or wing can only go half way to threaten the pass, because he cannot leave the perimeter. If he commits too much in space to Zach, Trey has a short pass to the open Purdue player. Playing out of a high post is not only a different look, but has some advantages and Zach is made for low post...

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Furst is an excellent passer though he doesn't always show it. I fully expected to see him in the high post this year doing his best Trevian impression. Not sure why that didn't happen at all. I sure like seeing Trey out where he can shoot a jumper. We need more mid range shots (and less emphasis on 3's) from everyone i think.

Furst is an excellent passer though he doesn't always show it. I fully expected to see him in the high post this year doing his best Trevian impression. Not sure why that didn't happen at all.
He is quicker and ideally would be better at the high post physically, but he doesn't seem to be as effective scoring inside as Trey today.

He is quicker and ideally would be better at the high post physically, but he doesn't seem to be as effective scoring inside as Trey today.
To be fair, he hasn't had many opportunities. They seem to want to leave him at 4 mostly.
He has a VERY quick drop step, spin move that we've seen a couple of times only.
He's much better than we've seen so far. When he settles in and becomes a go to guy we're all gonna say "where was this guy"...... just takes some guys longer.

Reactions: tjreese
Yeah I noticed that as well and thought it was really effective.

Hoping there are a few weapons like that which are effective and other teams don’t have a lot of tape on.

Gives Trey the option for a short jumper, and makes it harder to double or triple Zach.

Wonder how the minutes work out if we play this a little more. Guessing TKR just gets more minutes, some spelling Zach and some with him, though you could also yank them both for a bit with Caleb at the 5 which we have done a little bit of but usually to match up with the other team I think.

To be fair, he hasn't had many opportunities. They seem to want to leave him at 4 mostly.
He has a VERY quick drop step, spin move that we've seen a couple of times only.
He's much better than we've seen so far. When he settles in and becomes a go to guy we're all gonna say "where was this guy"...... just takes some guys longer.
There definitely is some truth to that. Caleb has been used more as an athlete playing a stretch four without the shot to stretch. He has been effective on dives, boards, transition and general garbage buckets along with his D. If he can improve his face up game and drive the ball 2 to 3 dribbles and score other than jump hooks it will propel him to greater heights. He needs to finish his wrist forward to the basket when shooting as it sometimes "curls" inward. Space alone will help him once Zach leaves. He has a lot to work with...just needs to fine tune a couple of things.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
There definitely is some truth to that. Caleb has been used more as an athlete playing a stretch four without the shot to stretch. He has been effective on dives, boards, transition and general garbage buckets along with his D. If he can improve his face up game and drive the ball 2 to 3 dribbles and score other than jump hooks it will propel him to greater heights. He needs to finish his wrist forward to the basket when shooting as it sometimes "curls" inward. Space alone will help him once Zach leaves. He has a lot to work with...just needs to fine tune a couple of things.
Over this season, to me, he has had many opportunities by the bucket but just has not converted. I’d like to see him get stronger during the offseason and become more of a presence of strength around the bracket.

Reactions: tjreese
Over this season, to me, he has had many opportunities by the bucket but just has not converted. I’d like to see him get stronger during the offseason and become more of a presence of strength around the bracket.
He just needs more skill development and should be stronger with more weight training. However if Zach is back, Purdue would be much better if he developed his skill facing the basket. If Zach leaves he will be more effective with space inside than today, but if he adds a face up game...that brings a whole different dimension as it would with Trey as well...and we don't know where Berg is or what he can do next fall.

Caleb physically getting strong is a plus and Trey dropping a few may be a plus

Reactions: DrEss
He just needs more skill development and should be stronger with more weight training. However if Zach is back, Purdue would be much better if he developed his skill facing the basket. If Zach leaves he will be more effective with space inside than today, but if he adds a face up game...that brings a whole different dimension as it would with Trey as well...and we don't know where Berg is or what he can do next fall.

Caleb physically getting strong is a plus and Trey dropping a few may be a plus
Berg will most probably be runner-up for NPOY ... we all know that deep down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT