ADVERTISEMENT

Who would have guessed?

Although it is obvious her time at Purdue was up, actually delayed longer than it should have been, Purdue won a lot of victories under her. Purdue never recovered from the Merriweather scandal and were not able to recruit the top talent that they brought in for so many years. KG is a fun, energetic coach but won't bring us back to a national program unless she can lure some big timers. Only time will show that.
But If Coach SV wanted back on the court, good for her. And a very safe situation because there is not as much pressure developing a new school.

Although it is obvious her time at Purdue was up, actually delayed longer than it should have been, Purdue won a lot of victories under her. Purdue never recovered from the Merriweather scandal and were not able to recruit the top talent that they brought in for so many years. KG is a fun, energetic coach but won't bring us back to a national program unless she can lure some big timers. Only time will show that.
But If Coach SV wanted back on the court, good for her. And a very safe situation because there is not as much pressure developing a new school.
I am just surprised, given the circumstances under which she left (accusations of player abuse and potential litigation) that a program would take a chance with her.

I am just surprised, given the circumstances under which she left (accusations of player abuse and potential litigation) that a program would take a chance with her.

As IlliniBoiler said, she did win alot at Purdue and by all accounts was a great presence in the community.

Time has a way of softening things, and she is now sort of far away and in a somewhat obscure setting. I don’t wish her any ill outcomes there; it was (past) time for her to go and I’m glad Purdue made the “retirement” happen. CKG may not have a D-1 pedigree but she’s building one. I like her energy & enthusiasm, and it seems her team does too! Anxious to see what this season brings.

I just now saw this news on Twitter - and was frankly very surprised. I really thought she would be out of any public spotlight for at least 2-3 years, given the circumstances of her departure.
But you gotta make a living doing something, and this is what she knows. Not sure what kind if severance package she would have gotten, but I’d bet it wasn’t enough to actually retire on.

As IlliniBoiler said, she did win alot at Purdue and by all accounts was a great presence in the community.

Time has a way of softening things, and she is now sort of far away and in a somewhat obscure setting. I don’t wish her any ill outcomes there; it was (past) time for her to go and I’m glad Purdue made the “retirement” happen. CKG may not have a D-1 pedigree but she’s building one. I like her energy & enthusiasm, and it seems her team does too! Anxious to see what this season brings.
I agree with most of what you said, Jeff, except the "you gotta make a living doing something". Just how much money do you need to have made to retire comfortably? She was 16 years a head coach in a B1G university (15 here and one at IU) and in the end was making over $700,000/year with all the perks you get as a HC. At 56 yo if you have not bank-rolled enough money to live comfortably for the rest of your life then you need a new financial advisor. But I guess for some people "enough" is always more than you have already made.

Or is it just for the love of basketball? But in the last few years she did not seem to have a lot of joy in her position here.

Not sure what's going on at UCSB, but to make this announcement this late, they needed a coach in a hurry and could not afford to be too picky. That would explain why they were willing to take a flyer on Versyp.

Reactions: DocRon
I agree....congratulations to Coach Versyp. I hope she is very successful there.

I would think that SV scraped the bottom of the barrel to sign on at USCB. That school is small and close to Hilton Head/Beaufort and doesn't have a lot of nice facilities. I can't imagine that they pay that much.

I agree with most of what you said, Jeff, except the "you gotta make a living doing something". Just how much money do you need to have made to retire comfortably? She was 16 years a head coach in a B1G university (15 here and one at IU) and in the end was making over $700,000/year with all the perks you get as a HC. At 56 yo if you have not bank-rolled enough money to live comfortably for the rest of your life then you need a new financial advisor. But I guess for some people "enough" is always more than you have already made.

Or is it just for the love of basketball? But in the last few years she did not seem to have a lot of joy in her position here.
Yeah I thought about that after I posted. You’re absolutely correct she could retire comfortably on that salary. Most likely she missed coaching or being around/involved in bball and this is a low-profile, low key way to re-enter the arena.

It appears this is a start-up program? So expectations would be modest, and nothing like the pressure of even a D-3 school with an established program. So in that regard, it’s a good way to try and get back on track. I’m sure there’s some hurt and “sting” still there from her dismissal (retirement). Her Purdue legacy is kinda tarnished right now. Which is sad.

Yeah I thought about that after I posted. You’re absolutely correct she could retire comfortably on that salary. Most likely she missed coaching or being around/involved in bball and this is a low-profile, low key way to re-enter the arena.

It appears this is a start-up program? So expectations would be modest, and nothing like the pressure of even a D-3 school with an established program. So in that regard, it’s a good way to try and get back on track. I’m sure there’s some hurt and “sting” still there from her dismissal (retirement). Her Purdue legacy is kinda tarnished right now. Which is sad.
Yep. Will she ever be welcomed back or in Purdue’s HOF (as a player-probably-but as a coach????) But time heals and the relationship with Lin Dunn has been mostly repaired so who knows.

Reactions: JeffBoiler

Her legacy was never great, she's the winningest coach because of longevity and AD apathy.. she's also lost more games than any other Purdue coach and didn't have a great win/loss percentage compared to her predacesdors

Reactions: JeffBoiler

• Haha
Reactions: Purdue_BS_90
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT