ADVERTISEMENT

Who will be our leading scorer this year?

KentuckyBoiler

All-American
Jul 6, 2011
I saw that the lead article on the front page talking about and making the case for TKR for being our leading scorer. I thought that this was an interesting topic. Who will be our leading scorer this year?

This team doesn’t really have a clear obvious choice this year like we have had for a few years. I think team will be balanced.

It will be if interesting to see if a veteran player wins that title or if a younger player like Heide or Colvin has developed to win it. Can a freshman come out of the blue and surprise?

If I were to hazard a guess I could see TKR at 15 ppg, Smith at 14 ppg, Loyer at 13 ppg, and Heide/Colvin combining for about 20 ppg. Maybe that’s too balanced to be realistic, but with a distributor like Smith initiating, I think that a balanced attack becomes more possible.

If I were to hazard a guess I could see TKR at 15 ppg, Smith at 14 ppg, Loyer at 13 ppg, and Heide/Colvin combining for about 20 ppg. Maybe that’s too balanced to be realistic, but with a distributor like Smith initiating, I think that a balanced attack becomes more possible.
I agree on the balance. But I'll drop Loyer closer to 10 (AVERAGE) and raise both Colvin and Heide to 11 each.

I agree on the balance. But I'll drop Loyer closer to 10 (AVERAGE) and raise both Colvin and Heide to 11 each.
Being someone that REALLY wants to see Colvin and Heide take huge leaps this season and play significant roles, I find it maybe a bit disappointing to have heard Paint on a couple of occasions talking about an increased role for Fletcher. He's said that he’ll see more stuff run for him in a bigger role. Maybe that gets changed as the summer goes on and the play of the other two demands they get more run, who knows? I think Fletch can make a jump and hope he continues his above 40% 3 point shooting. I just worry that means the guys I was hoping to see get featured are less likely to do so and may not get their shot at leading the team with their athleticism on display. It may not mean that at all but I do worry a bit since Fletch seems to be a favorite of Painters. I hope All 3 can be consistent contributors but I hope we see the potential of both Colvin and Heide on display and taken advantage of. I am confident Painter will field a competitive well oiled offensive machine and hope everyone can increase their defensive efficiency. BTFU!!!

Being someone that REALLY wants to see Colvin and Heide take huge leaps this season and play significant roles, I find it maybe a bit disappointing to have heard Paint on a couple of occasions talking about an increased role for Fletcher. He's said that he’ll see more stuff run for him in a bigger role. Maybe that gets changed as the summer goes on and the play of the other two demands they get more run, who knows? I think Fletch can make a jump and hope he continues his above 40% 3 point shooting. I just worry that means the guys I was hoping to see get featured are less likely to do so and may not get their shot at leading the team with their athleticism on display. It may not mean that at all but I do worry a bit since Fletch seems to be a favorite of Painters. I hope All 3 can be consistent contributors but I hope we see the potential of both Colvin and Heide on display and taken advantage of. I am confident Painter will field a competitive well oiled offensive machine and hope everyone can increase their defensive efficiency. BTFU!!!
COACH Painter doesn't play favorites.
He runs plays and gives bigger roles to the guys that have earned it.
Sometimes with things we the fans can clearly see (games) and sometimes not (practice day in and day out)
Another years experience = 2" reach and .137 in athletic ability. Ok, I just made that last one up, but you get the point.
Experience counts and Fletch is better than many here believe.
We all hope Myles and Cam reach the point that Fletch is at in time.
By the time they are jr's, they might be better. We all hope so.

Reactions: oldboiler52
I saw that the lead article on the front page talking about and making the case for TKR for being our leading scorer. I thought that this was an interesting topic. Who will be our leading scorer this year?

This team doesn’t really have a clear obvious choice this year like we have had for a few years. I think team will be balanced.

It will be if interesting to see if a veteran player wins that title or if a younger player like Heide or Colvin has developed to win it. Can a freshman come out of the blue and surprise?

Been saying TKR will be on one of 3 All BIG teams ....so him.

It's Smith's team, he will score a ton and also be ALL BIG. But he will likely lead the BIG in assists.....and defer scoring on many occasions for others. But when we need a bucket its going to be Smith scoring or creating no doubt.

Going off last years stats and painters comments I’m going with Loyer. He had the highest points per 40 in conference games of any returning player and paint has indicated he will have a bigger role, even though I really was down on him last year. I think Colvin and TKR will push there too, I just don’t think they will get as many minutes as loyer.

Smith at 18ppg
TKR at 15
Loyer at 12
Would be surprised if smith was at 18…would like it a lot tbh, but IMO (no actual facts haha) I think he enjoys spreading it around. So I could see Loyer, TKR, Heide, Colvin all hover around the 9-14 ppg, with smith being around 12-14 ppg but with close to 8 apg.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Would be surprised if smith was at 18…would like it a lot tbh, but IMO (no actual facts haha) I think he enjoys spreading it around. So I could see Loyer, TKR, Heide, Colvin all hover around the 9-14 ppg, with smith being around 12-14 ppg but with close to 8 apg.
He averaged 12 this past year, but with no Edey, I think he's going to have the ball in his hands A LOT. His shooting % will probably drop a little, but he's going to be shooting more. So I think 16-18ppg and 7-10 assists sounds right. Heide and Colvin will be in the 5-8 range I bet. Furst probably the same in that 5-8 range. It'll be an adjustment at first for everyone because you don't have the gravity Edey brought to the floor, but Smith is gonna have to be the guy. He's the only one who has really proven he can be.

He averaged 12 this past year, but with no Edey, I think he's going to have the ball in his hands A LOT. His shooting % will probably drop a little, but he's going to be shooting more. So I think 16-18ppg and 7-10 assists sounds right. Heide and Colvin will be in the 5-8 range I bet. Furst probably the same in that 5-8 range. It'll be an adjustment at first for everyone because you don't have the gravity Edey brought to the floor, but Smith is gonna have to be the guy. He's the only one who has really proven he can be.
How much of that 12 was benefitted by Edey. Lots of give-and-go or kick back 3s. I hope your right on the 18 but it seems your the only on this board that sees it.

And I hope you’re wrong in the 5-8 on Colvin and Heide. Colvin scored 15.5 per 40 this past year so even if he gets 20 mpg he was already averaging close to 8 and you hope he makes a sophomore jump. He was actually higher than Braden who was at 12.8.

Same with Heide. He was only 10.5 per 40 but showed a lot of potential.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
How much of that 12 was benefitted by Edey. Lots of give-and-go or kick back 3s. I hope your right on the 18 but it seems your the only on this board that sees it.

And I hope you’re wrong in the 5-8 on Colvin and Heide. Colvin scored 15.5 per 40 this past year so even if he gets 20 mpg he was already averaging close to 8 and you hope he makes a sophomore jump. He was actually higher than Braden who was at 12.8.

Same with Heide. He was only 10.5 per 40 but showed a lot of potential.
Sure but Colvin and Heide will likely be 4th at best as scoring options. I'm sure they'll have games where they score 20 but it's going to Smith, TKR and Loyer most nights. Gillis and TKR averaged 6.5 as the #5-6 scorers last season. Their points will be made off Smiths playing making, rather than last year being from Edeys gravity and Smiths playmaking. I'm not sold on Purdue scoring 82ppg like last year either. Probably closer to the year before(72.7). So maybe 75-77. But I think Painter hands the keys to Smith like he did Edwards, though I don't think Smith is that level of a scorer. So I think 18 is a good spot for him.

I can see Smith, Loyer and TKR all being in the 11-15 range.
Berg 6-8
Heide/Colvin 9-10
Bench 10-12.
I don't think the shooters will get as many open looks from 3 as teams don't have to worry about Edey.
Loyer struggles to get free against really good man D but Painter will probably be drawing up a lot of plays to get him looks coming off picks.
Really looking forward to seeing Smith/Berg working the high PnR and if Berg can hit the mid-range jumpers.

Berg 6-8
Heide/Colvin 9-10
Bench 10-12.
I don't think the shooters will get as many open looks from 3 as teams don't have to worry about Edey.
Loyer struggles to get free against really good man D but Painter will probably be drawing up a lot of plays to get him looks coming off picks.
Really looking forward to seeing Smith/Berg working the high PnR and if Berg can hit the mid-range jumpers.
I like your comment on coming off picks and getting him open. I think Loyer is able to get his shot off quickly, we just haven’t seen him have to do it. Going to be a fun one this year.

Sure but Colvin and Heide will likely be 4th at best as scoring options. I'm sure they'll have games where they score 20 but it's going to Smith, TKR and Loyer most nights. Gillis and TKR averaged 6.5 as the #5-6 scorers last season. Their points will be made off Smiths playing making, rather than last year being from Edeys gravity and Smiths playmaking. I'm not sold on Purdue scoring 82ppg like last year either. Probably closer to the year before(72.7). So maybe 75-77. But I think Painter hands the keys to Smith like he did Edwards, though I don't think Smith is that level of a scorer. So I think 18 is a good spot for him.
I think Purdue will score pretty close to what we scored last year. We won't be nearly as efficient in the halfcourt without big Z but we will play in transition a lot more. Smith is a guy who wants to get the ball and go and we throttled that back some last year because we were waiting for the NPOY to get down the floor and set up on the block.

I agree with everything you said, I just don’t see Smith capable of scoring 18 a night but again I hope I’m wrong. I will be really disappointed if Heide and or Colvin play 20 a game and score less than 8 ppg

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
This teams (probably) going to lose some close games that we've gotten used to winning (mostly ;) as they figure out "Who" they are. The positive is there are plenty of guys that CAN do it, they just have to show it consistantly now.

Reactions: Schnelk
Assuming we return to a motion offense similar to that used to get Dakota, Carsen, and Cline open, there will be many open shot opportunities for Colvin, Fletcher, and Heide. For some reason, we didn't appear to run that in the National Championship game. Otherwise, IMO, we would have had more open shots regardless of what UCONN did defensively.
I think we expected their guards to help on Edey as he was dominating Clingan which rarely happened.

Assuming we return to a motion offense similar to that used to get Dakota, Carsen, and Cline open, there will be many open shot opportunities for Colvin, Fletcher, and Heide. For some reason, we didn't appear to run that in the National Championship game. Otherwise, IMO, we would have had more open shots regardless of what UCONN did defensively.
I think we expected their guards to help on Edey as he was dominating Clingan which rarely happened.
I saw CT completely smother our guards, with very few open shots despite much effort by said shooters.

I saw CT completely smother our guards, with very few open shots despite much effort by said shooters.
They dared our guards to make a play off the dribble and we didn’t have that type of bag for our guards/style this past year. Zach was our focus and to create off him. Once they allowed Zach to continue to shoot and get tired, we were at a loss of how to create.

UConn, while very good, hit a few tough shots on the offensive side, that if they don’t go in, it would have been closer. Diarra and Newton had some tough finishes around the rim near Zach that were momentum killers. But at the end of the day, their strategy was to let Zach get his and not let our shooters get open looks, and use their athleticism to beat us on the other end and it worked.

If we do go back to the motion we had been done for quite some time, we will see more shots created off screens and off the dribble and drives.

Reactions: Boilermakerdad
I agree with everything you said, I just don’t see Smith capable of scoring 18 a night but again I hope I’m wrong. I will be really disappointed if Heide and or Colvin play 20 a game and score less than 8 ppg
Smith is "capable" of averaging 18 a game but the overall team production likely will suffer if he does.

Smith is "capable" of averaging 18 a game but the overall team production likely will suffer if he does.

Agree. On very rare occasion Smith might have 25+ this year. But I agree our team will be better when he is in the 12-18 range.....with a bunch of assists

Things I am watching for.......
Games @ 7+. Assists
# of double - doubles?
Does he get a triple double this year?

Getting all excited for Purdue ball just typing this. LOL. I know one thing - his career is a privilege to witness.

Last edited:
Agree. On very rare occasion Smith might have 25+ this year. But I agree our team will be better when he is in the 12-18 range.

Things I am watching for.......
Games @ 7+. Assists
# of double - doubles?
Does he get a triple double this year?

Getting all excited for Purdue ball just typing this. LOL. I know one thing - his career is a privilege to witness.
Best all around PG Purdue has had and we got two years left!

Will Berg see 15+ minutes and be a solid contributor? I think he may be capable of averaging around 8p-8r-1.5b/game. Am I crazy?
I too am expecting a big role from Berg. His development will be pivotal to this team's success. He doesn't need to be dominant - just needs to be average. If he can step out and hit an 8 footer - that would be nice.

I will be interested in following:

Our rebounding % vs our opponents;

How well TKR passes out of the post;

Our guards and 3’s ability to score off slashing in the lane/paint and to prevent depending too much on 3’s;

How well Smith can stay out of foul trouble as that will be a priority of our opponents.

I cannot wait for this season to get rolling.

I will be interested in following:

Our rebounding % vs our opponents;

How well TKR passes out of the post;

Our guards and 3’s ability to score off slashing in the lane/paint and to prevent depending too much on 3’s;

How well Smith can stay out of foul trouble as that will be a priority of our opponents.

I cannot wait for this season to get rolling.
Very well said. Agree with it all!

Also:

Who is going to step up between Heide and Colvin.

Who will play alongside TKR and how the mins will be divvied up between Furst, Berg, Jacobsen and Burgess.

The development of Berg.

How ready DJ and Harris are to play.

Who will RS out of Benter, Burgess and Cox (I’d have to guess the first two).

What type of offense we implement.

Will defensive pressure be ramped up like Painter teams of the past.

Berg 6-8
Heide/Colvin 9-10
Bench 10-12.
I like the idea of a lot of stuff ran for Loyer as long as he can distribute when the break down comes. That is where Colvin and Heide should make their money so to speak. If Loyer is going to have the ball a lot, he has got to be a good facilitator.

Reactions: Schnelk
I could see games where we just can’t get the post up stuff going, and Braden and Fletch have to bomb away, and end up scoring 25-30 points, which will bump up their averages some,

I think it just depends on who comes through most next year. The ball went through Zach because he was the best shooter. In the nation. (I think).. no brainer. Now those shots will get spread around a lot more. Braden will get the ball to whomever is open. What they do with those opportunities will determine who keeps getting more and who's chances (within the offense) lessen. With the ball in his hands and his abilities Braden is going to have the "opportunities" to put up a lot of "good" shots. Unless other guys are filling it up even better, and then he'll get them the ball. And it might be a different guy each game. THAT is the real beauty of balance and a true distributor at pg.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT