ADVERTISEMENT

Who signs with Purdue this fall?

Newton making 200-250? Lolol…man IU is desperate.

Ballo took the highest offer and that was from IU —$1.2M. IU is desperate in trying to return to the second weekend in almost a decade and its 5th time in 30 years. That’s why they outbid everyone else and spent so much on a team. Let’s see if it pays off for them.
This mercenary team that was hired just shows how important it is to IU to have a good team. It is a far cry from the Knight teams

This mercenary team that was hired just shows how important it is to IU to have a good team. It is a far cry from the Knight teams
We have seen that teams that are brand new don’t usually play well together…add that to a staff that isn’t that good or at least hasn’t been that good and hasn’t adjusted their offense to include more 3PAs or defend the 3 well in its 3 years as a staff…doesn’t seem like a recipe for success. But who knows, maybe they’ll return to glory and not get swept by Penn state, Nebraska, Rutgers and northwestern 🤷‍♂️

• Love
Reactions: tjreese and Schnelk
We have seen that teams that are brand new don’t usually play well together…add that to a staff that isn’t that good or at least hasn’t been that good and hasn’t adjusted their offense to include more 3PAs or defend the 3 well in its 3 years as a staff…doesn’t seem like a recipe for success. But who knows, maybe they’ll return to glory and not get swept by Penn state, Nebraska, Rutgers and northwestern 🤷‍♂️
It cannot be denied that IU has not played to their "individual" star level for years. Hopefully that continues. I do hope Purdue can remain above the need to just buy a team down the road. Hard to believe a player wants to go to the school you support if needing paid the best or close to the best to be there. Yes, there could be some egos that need managed if player A performs better than player B by a lot and is paid much less. Oh well if I were a grad of a school with a pedophile that falsified studies like Kinsey that had his own building, then I too might want a different face for the public.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
are you talking about an established player already on the roster or a recruit where the NIL $ is the incentive to go to a specific school?
If a company wants to go rogue outside of the NIL and deal with a player/agent directly, then I'm not sure how that impacts their decision on where to play.
Why? Because if Painter isn't involved, there's no guarantee of a ROI for the company because said player not even get the playing time expected and therefore, the eyeballs on the product.
Any player that a corporation thinks would be a good sponsor for their product. Say a car dealer in Sellersburg thinks local hero TKR would help bring in customers. But they don't want to work through the NIL initiative, which they are not required to do. Could say the same about Luke Ertel. When he comes to Purdue, a local restaurant in Mt Vernon may think they'll get good visibility by being promoted by the local boy who everyone knows and is proud of, and is playing for a national contender.

Reactions: Schnelk
Won't know for sure, but about $500k is what a 6th man on a national championship, big money school will make in the portal.

I remember reading somewhere (can't cite source) that IU players like Newton are getting about $200-$250k in NIL. If back-benchers are worth that much, then Gillis is worth $500k-ish to be the sixth man at Duke. Ballo at IU (definitely an impact player) turned down $1.25 million from another school to play at IU for $1 million.
Ballo is a likely first round draft pick. Gillis' basketball career is over after this year.
I'm not saying it's $500K, but I'd be very, very surprised were it that much. I think there are other factors in Gillis' decision other than who the highest bidder was.

Reactions: pboiler18
Any player that a corporation thinks would be a good sponsor for their product. Say a car dealer in Sellersburg thinks local hero TKR would help bring in customers. But they don't want to work through the NIL initiative, which they are not required to do. Could say the same about Luke Ertel. When he comes to Purdue, a local restaurant in Mt Vernon may think they'll get good visibility by being promoted by the local boy who everyone knows and is proud of, and is playing for a national contender.
But in those cases, the money isn't tied to the kid going to a certain school, where the NIL money is.
Would TKRs value in Sellersburg be the same if he went to say, NC State?

Ballo is a likely first round draft pick. Gillis' basketball career is over after this year.
I'm not saying it's $500K, but I'd be very, very surprised were it that much. I think there are other factors in Gillis' decision other than who the highest bidder was.
Ballo is NOT a first round draft pick. There’s a reason he didn’t go to the draft after junior and senior years. He may not even get drafted.

And yes, you’re correct about Gillis, although he could be making close to the $500k…but obviously not sure.

Won't know for sure, but about $500k is what a 6th man on a national championship, big money school will make in the portal.

I remember reading somewhere (can't cite source) that IU players like Newton are getting about $200-$250k in NIL. If back-benchers are worth that much, then Gillis is worth $500k-ish to be the sixth man at Duke. Ballo at IU (definitely an impact player) turned down $1.25 million from another school to play at IU for $1 million.
Heard from a reliable source he’s getting $1m

• Love
Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Newton making 200-250? Lolol…man IU is desperate.

Ballo took the highest offer and that was from IU —$1.2M. IU is desperate in trying to return to the second weekend in almost a decade and its 5th time in 30 years. That’s why they outbid everyone else and spent so much on a team. Let’s see if it pays off for them.
I heard $300k

• Haha
Just a point of clarification Luke Ertel is not from Mt Vernon, he is from the other MVHS in Fortville.

The "mercenary team" has three of its top four scorers from last year returning, and four of five starters returning (because of injuries Cupps started 21 games).

IU went to the portal instead of freshmen for the most part, but of note two of those portal players that will likely be rotation pieces (Goode and Hatton) are Indiana natives.

The "mercenary team" has three of its top four scorers from last year returning, and four of five starters returning (because of injuries Cupps started 21 games).

IU went to the portal instead of freshmen for the most part, but of note two of those portal players that will likely be rotation pieces (Goode and Hatton) are Indiana natives.
Would not brag about Cupps being a starter…kid should be a sixth man in the MAC. Still laughing about IU fans thinking he’d be anywhere near the skill level of Loyer and smith as freshman…

But hey! Maybe they can make the tourney?

What would be an “excellent” season in your eyes?

Would not brag about Cupps being a starter…kid should be a sixth man in the MAC. Still laughing about IU fans thinking he’d be anywhere near the skill level of Loyer and smith as freshman…

But hey! Maybe they can make the tourney?

What would be an “excellent” season in your eyes?
*Responds to they are "mercenaries."*
Gets hit with IU's lousy season last year. Which is 100% true, but not what my answer pertained to.

Since you asked (and then I'll leave this thread);
An "excellent" season in my eyes would be if IU won it's sixth NCAA National Championship in men's basketball this season. So 'dusty banners' all you want, but that next national championship would be ... excellent.

• Haha
Gets hit with IU's lousy season last year. Which is 100% true, but not what my answer pertained to.

An "excellent" season in my eyes would be if IU won it's sixth NCAA National Championship in men's basketball this season. So 'dusty banners' all you want, but that next national championship would be ... excellent.
Formerly posting as the dishonest hack known as HoosierFanJM. Also posts under @JBoiler23 , as offensive to real Boiler fans as that is - which is the intent.

Let's be honest. Your statement of "returning starters" is pretty laughable. You know they went deep into (their pockets) portal to grab players that were not coming to IU to sit on the bench. They paid players to play and that's what they'll do.

Tell me what returning starters or returning players will see the court besides Reneau and Mgbako? You guys bought and paid for potentially 3 starters. I'm not sure what is untrue about his statement.

Last edited:

An "excellent" season in my eyes would be if IU won its sixth NCAA National Championship in men's basketball this season. So 'dusty banners' all you want, but that next national championship would be ... excellent.
It was the second time I asked.

So going from no tournament to winning it all? Wow.

What are your actual expectations for the season?

But in those cases, the money isn't tied to the kid going to a certain school, where the NIL money is.
Would TKRs value in Sellersburg be the same if he went to say, NC State?
It's all NIL. Whether he is paid by a NIL initiative or he is paid to use his name, image, likeness by a corporation.

I don't get the point about going to another school. The topic I was addressing was whether or not Painter directly controls NIL disbursement for Purdue players. If a company wants to pay a player to promote their business, Painter, Purdue, and the NIL initiative, by law, have no right to regulate it.

Reactions: Schnelk and Poprudy
It was the second time I asked.

So going from no tournament to winning it all? Wow.

What are your actual expectations for the season?
We as Purdue fans hear this every year. They come and leave by mid-season with nothing besides the common response of "wait until next year" or " Purdue doesn't win in march".

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Or we don't have ancient banners from the last millennium long before current students or players were even born.
Its funny that some IU fans still consider themselves a national power. Did you guys know that Rome once ruled the civilized world? Yep, it's true. No one alive today saw it happen, but lots of ancient historical documents and artifacts prove it. Yet, based on that, Italy is not delusional enough to continue to declare themselves a global power. Many IU fans are delusional enough.

• Haha
Reactions: Schnelk and Poprudy
Its funny that some IU fans still consider themselves a national power. Did you guys know that Rome once ruled the civilized world? Yep, it's true. No one alive today saw it happen, but lots of ancient historical documents and artifacts prove it. Yet, based on that, Italy is not delusional enough to continue to declare themselves a global power. Many IU fans are delusional enough.
I'm betting A$$Hall will collapse long before it is as old as the Coloseum.

I don't know why you're catching flak here, your posts generally seem reasonable. I think IU will be pretty good this year. Whether that's a six seed and a top five Big Ten finish or a top three seed and and Big Ten championship, I have no idea.

It looks to me like there are some roster gaps and construction issues but there's talent there and I don't think it's ridiculous to say that the goal is a NC. Caesar's has IU tied for 20th in odds to win a NC, so Vegas views it as unlikely but within the realm of possibility.

And you can still see ancient banners from the Roman empire in Museums in Rome.

Nice pun on Caeser's, btw.

I don't know why you're catching flak here, your posts generally seem reasonable. I think IU will be pretty good this year. Whether that's a six seed and a top five Big Ten finish or a top three seed and and Big Ten championship, I have no idea.

It looks to me like there are some roster gaps and construction issues but there's talent there and I don't think it's ridiculous to say that the goal is a NC. Caesar's has IU tied for 20th in odds to win a NC, so Vegas views it as unlikely but within the realm of possibility.
Thanks.

My opinion? Both Purdue and IU will be very good this year, and Purdue has a real chance at a national championship quality roster if they can keep their key players together over the next two years. These days, that's a relative lifetime of continuity and that's extremely valuable when most teams are churning through a 1/2 new roster every year.

Your assessment from a six seed and top five B1G finish or a top three seed and B1G title works for both Purdue and IU for the coming season.

Reactions: northside100
Tell me what returning starters or returning players will see the court besides Reneau and Mgbako? You guys bought and paid for potentially 3 starters. I'm not sure what is untrue about his statement.
Mgbako, Reneau, Galloway, and Cupps all started the majority of games last year and are all projected to be in the nine player rotation.

Newton and Leal are not; if one of them makes the top nine it would likely be at the expense of minutes from Cupps.

Four key transfers in; Rice, Ballo, Goode, and Carlyle. Two are projected to start, and Carlyle is 50/50 to start over Galloway. Goode will clearly be in the rotation; the freshman Tucker and Hatton maybe yes/maybe no.

Purdue has more continuity than pretty much any team, but three of Purdue's top six from last year won't be on the team. Six of their top nine from last year will be in the rotation and these days that's a ton of experience and continuity.

Sisley visited this past weekend. Waiting on feedback on how it went. Initial report is he said it went well and he got time with both coaches and players. Loyer was the hosting player.

Last edited:
Dudley visited this past weekend. Waiting on feedback on how it went. Initial report is he said it went well and he got time with both coaches and players. Loyer was the hosting player.
Sisley I assume you mean? 😂

Hope it went well! Neubert said we were in a good spot with him (prior to the visit) and that he’s been on a ton of unofficials to Purdue already. We will see over the next month where he chooses.

Sisley I assume you mean? 😂

Hope it went well! Neubert said we were in a good spot with him (prior to the visit) and that he’s been on a ton of unofficials to Purdue already. We will see over the next month where he chooses.
Who does Neubert seem to think we get in 2025? He is usually accurate.

Who does Neubert seem to think we get in 2025? He is usually accurate.
Antoine West and then 1 of Sisley, Williams Adams or Singleton. Says WA is best athlete of bunch. Sisley is best overall. But thinks we go one front court and one backcourt…and if we get none, we can hit the portal. Nice to have those options since we have such an experienced core back again (hopefully)

Antoine West and then 1 of Sisley, Williams Adams or Singleton. Says WA is best athlete of bunch. Sisley is best overall. But thinks we go one front court and one backcourt…and if we get none, we can hit the portal. Nice to have those options since we have such an experienced core back again (hopefully)
Thanks! Does Neubert say anything about where he thinks Haralson ends up?

Not in this latest episode…I’m sure we will hear more when he visits. He visited IU 8/31 and then ND on 9/6. Sparty this weekend and then mizzou and us 9/28. Ends with KU a week after.
Forget Neubert, what do you think the odds are that we land Haralson?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT